Patterns for coats, shirts and pants

My goodness...

I have just found an awesome site for Cavaliers, Musketeers and Pirates!

Go to http://www.authenticworks.com

The menu is to the left. Click on pirates first, if you dare!

WARNING: These pirate coats are fabulous. A little pricey, but great for design ideas for those of us who like to make our own stuff.

Also, go to Center Stage costumes! They have a wonderful photo of a custom order done for the Discovery Channel's Captain Kidd special. It's a great burgundy velvet frock coat with intricate detailing. You'll love it!

Take a look!

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, hats off to Tobacco Meg over there at Center Stage Costume. Though I have yet to buy the hat(s) of my desires from 'er, the hats she has for sale I think are awesome. Over the years I have purchased a few thing s from her, bandannas, stockings, over the knee breeches and such, all great stuff, all well made and well worth the asking price.

I've dabbled a bit in hat shaping myself, starting with a slouch hat or hat blank and using a pot of boiling water for steam and a hot iron. I have a couple hat forms, 1-rounded and 1-flat to help shape the crown but, it's hard work. Though I really enjoy it and have even been commissioned to make a few hats, I haven’t found a way that be cost effective.

Hey there Stynky,

I too am facinated a bit with hats (among other things)... One of the things I'm interested in is how to go about making a tricorn out of leather or some such similar material...

I've seen 3 or so movies in which a character or two was wearing leather-like tricorns... I thought that they'd hold up much better in poor weather... I also thought that they'd take much more of a general beating than the felt-like cousins...

What say you?

Jocko

Arr Jocko, I just be talking with one of The Poxy Boggards the other day about a hat for music trade and it turns out that he wants a hat made out of leather. Now I've made a few faire pouches in my day but, I've got no experience making hats out of leather. I told him that I'd be willing to give it try and I'm still waiting to hear back from him about what he be wanting exactly.

I think it be an interesting idea to say the least, making a hat that weathers the weather better than felt. But I haven't done much research on the leather vs. felt. Do you know of any theatrical or museum examples that could be used for reference?

Hey, has anyone ever heard of a tricorne hat being made of leather?

http://www.poxyboggards.com/

Ahoy, JOCKO and STYNKY:

I, too, have wanted a leather tricorne. And you know how I like to dabble with my own creations....

In fact, just the other day, I found a good hat to start with. It was at a cheap little leather shop in a local mall that sells everything from Zippo covers to awesome biker chaps.

Well, they also have a flat-crowned, flat-brimmed leather hat for not too much more cash than a decent felt hat. I believe it was around $35, but I'm not sure. I wasn't looking for hats at the time.

Anyhow, you could just use some creativity (preferably not hot glue on leather), and make a fine tricorne out of a hat like this.

NOTE: This hat was made of stiff leather, and was not the Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone suede knockoff hats that you can find for a dime a dozen.

Wheat won't grow in yer field? Tricorne.

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Capt/ W. E. Roberts.... for a stiff hat, I reccommend that you use some good old leather oil and rub it in to help soften it up. Also, work in mink oil. This will help soften the leather to make it more pliable and will also help it a lot with moisture resistance. However, understand that by working any of these products into the leather, they will darken it. How much will depend on how much of these products you use.... Hope it helps.... The Capt.

Ahoy Cap'n Flint,

So, how much darker can a black leather hat get? I must apologise fer bein' a smart arse here, but most tricornes I've seen are black or dark brown... I've never seen a white tricorne, unless ya count them theres that's covered with all that lace... sooo fancy-shmancy... :huh:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Arr, there be one of those fancy-shmancy leather hats we all be talking about for sale at Chivalry Sports, www.rentstore.com, $29.99. If it be the hat I be thinking, it's got a wire running through the brim. Even after a bend to one's will, I'm not sure how period it be looking.

http://www.renstore.com/cgi-bin/Renstore.s.../MTK&2D952X&2D1

The hat I am talking about, that I actually purchasedd and use, has no wire running through it. It is a plain round brim, felt hat. It can be cut down if needed oras I did, simply fold to the shape wanted and either pin or sew it in place. As for the cavalier style I use, I folded one side up and pinned it with a brass Green Man pin from my local ren fair and added feathers. Like i said, the opne I have has no feathers and goes for about $30. If there is a new one with wire, I am unaware of it.

Dorian... I wouldn't know how to talk with you if you weren't a smart arse.. As far as the frilly hats go, Fair Katey has two of them. One cavalier and one tricorn. Though the hats may be frilly, the price tags weren't. They came from a ren hat vendor called Tall Toad. They make great hats, but, at a hefty price..... Enjoy...... The Capt.

Pictures, pictures, I want to see some hat pictures....

Actually we should probably just start a new hat topic.

Ok, this week-end I'll take some pictures of the felt hats I’ve made, start a new hat topic and post a link to the pictures.

I believe the hat you pirates are referring to when it comes to Chivalry Sports (renstore.com) is the fold-up hat. It looks to be leather, but doesn't have a description presently.

Oh, and Dorian, I believe Captain Flint was referring to the antiqued finish that some hats have. It's a bit of a dappled look. By rubbing mink oil or another specialty leather oil on it, some of the dappled may disappear, making it darker. It's kind of like when you first oil that new baseball glove. It's not quite as bright and pretty after you put the oil on, but it sure does work better.

Of course, the only way to truly make a hat fit yourself is to wear it to death.

Just FYI.

Fear this,

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

And I agree with STYNKY about there needing to be a separate hat section.

Perchance we can talk the system administrators into rehashing the Plunder section and taking out the parts about hats...then, putting them into their own little category.

Arrgh!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

Arr, I think we can keep the subject 'er in Plunder, but just start a new topic. We've pretty much gotten off topic from Charity's original post looking for images for garb reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I had no idea that pirate chat rooms even existed! But now that I do look out!

Any way being a pirate fiend, a belly dancer and ocasionally a crazed costume lady, I will offer up some ideas to the alter.

Altira's Fashions has some nice middle eastern type patterns, printed on heavy white paper. Don't over look the Harem pants, very easy to sew and tucked into a pair of boots, they billow beatifully in the wind. :)

Also patterns for yolked shirts and a jacket thing called a Gawazhee Coat, that with a little alteration makes nice, fitted pirate gear.

So hello to everyone.

The Duchess

Back to th' clothing.....

Tho' ta be dressed properly ye must be wearin' yer hat and boots....

But I digress...

Jas Townsend has Sailors/Pirates pants.... I lay'd out some coin n' now have a pair.... rather nice, fall front pants... I'll prolly use 'em as a pattern ta make more, tho with a straight button front... not to particular ta th' fall front....

Here be th' link, all th' way to the bottom o' th' page...

http://www.jastown.com/mens18/mens18.htm

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

A word o' warnin on store made clothes. Fer those o' ya who be seekin piratical dress, an' sail at the same time, be wary o' certain company's mentioned here. Fer instance Jas Townsend, while they be makin' right accurate, an' pretty clothes, they DO NOT withstand the rigours o' boat life. Though this company be the only one I've had witness ta the products fallin apart at right inconveniant times (I be fity feet up in the air, stay tagether ya bloody coat), I've definately decided ta cast a suspicious eye on all sich companys, an' have decided ta tailor me own garb when ever it be within me meagor abilities ta do so. :ph34r:

By the by, if ye be a poor pirate, an are lookin ta make yerself some slops try here skilts/slops by hand. They look a fine picture when finished, and slops should be in every pirates wardrobe (if nothin' else, there good ta lend ta that new swab who's missin' trousers). They take a we bit o' patience if'n ya 'ave no sewing experience. I would also tell ya ta look into cartridge pleating fer lashin the legs ta the waistband. If any o' the bretheren out there knows where more free patterns sich as these be please post them, an' I'd be much obliged.

Wow, I had no idea that pirate chat rooms even existed! But now that I do look out!

Any way being a pirate fiend, a belly dancer and ocasionally a crazed costume lady, I will offer up some ideas to the alter.

Altira's Fashions has some nice middle eastern type patterns, printed on heavy white paper. Don't over look the Harem pants, very easy to sew and tucked into a pair of boots, they billow beatifully in the wind. :)

Also patterns for yolked shirts and a jacket thing called a Gawazhee Coat, that with a little alteration makes nice, fitted pirate gear.

So hello to everyone.

The Duchess

Great another pirate belly dancer! Altira patterns are very good. There are even patterns for men's vests etc. if you want to go the Barbary pirate route. There's a jacket pattern that screams to be made into a pirate coat! (Can't remember pattern name for the life of me the name It comes in a long and boleros style and has a high neckline, and is very tailored. Do you know which one I am talking about Duchess?) As for harem pants, I myself stuff my harem pants in my boots and allow them to billow out. It look qute graceful especially when I am sword fighting. :)

I also wear a Ghazee coat (aka Turkish cote, Persian cote, alteri, & yelek) which I picked up off the rack at the Escondido Ren. Faire. It needs taking in a bit at the shoulders and waist (I am no seamstress I need to find someone who'll do it for cheap). It to looks great either just hanging around or fighting. The chemise Iwear under it is of a netted material which I will do a faux assuit embroidery on. I can't afford the real thing right now. :ph34r:

Also the fabrics can be cool confortable and exotic. Think Indain saris, Morrocan textiles... :ph34r:

Good to see you aboard Duchess!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

So hello to everyone.

The Duchess

Great another pirate belly dancer! Altira patterns are very good. There are even patterns for men's vests etc. if you want to go the Barbary pirate route. There's a jacket pattern that screams to be made into a pirate coat! (Can't remember pattern name for the life of me the name It comes in a long and boleros style and has a high neckline, and is very tailored. Do you know which one I am talking about Duchess?) As for harem pants, I myself stuff my harem pants in my boots and allow them to billow out. It look qute graceful especially when I am sword fighting. :)

I also wear a Ghazee coat (aka Turkish cote, Persian cote, alteri, & yelek) which I picked up off the rack at the Escondido Ren. Faire. It needs taking in a bit at the shoulders and waist (I am no seamstress I need to find someone who'll do it for cheap). It to looks great either just hanging around or fighting. The chemise Iwear under it is of a netted material which I will do a faux assuit embroidery on. I can't afford the real thing right now. :ph34r:

Also the fabrics can be cool confortable and exotic. Think Indain saris, Morrocan textiles... :ph34r:

Good to see you aboard Duchess!

The blessed unity in one person of a pirating belly dancer! I am so glad there are others who understand. :)

I've seen the jacket you're speaking of, but alas, cannot recall the name either. I've got a gawahzee coat I made from altiras pattern, with short sleeves and full length. This one I made with a very scooped neck to show a decorated bra, so it doesn't work so well for pirate looks. I intend to sew a second one with long sleeves and a high vee neck that should do quite well. Altiras pattern is quite nice, but essentially is only a costume (meaning things that are intended for stage only) pattern. It does not offer any instructions on finishing the jacket in a way that would stand up to constant wear or every day clothing. So I had to hunt down and ransom a more accomplished sewer to help me with those things. In the end it was worth the effort. :)

Thanks for the Welcome Red Maria

Where are you located?

The Duchess

The blessed unity in one person of a pirating belly dancer! I am so glad there are others who understand. :)

I've seen the jacket you're speaking of, but alas, cannot recall the name either. I've got a gawahzee coat I made from altiras pattern, with short sleeves and full length. This one I made with a very scooped neck to show a decorated bra, so it doesn't work so well for pirate looks.

Who says? I mean look how low some bodices are! My coat is has a low scooped neckline that I wear with a decorated bra that looks more like a fancy decorated vest with the coat. Just because the first depictions of a low scoop neckline (below the nipple line) first shows up in 19th c. Orientists paintings doesn't mean it wasn't before that period. I really don't think odilaise and the Ghwazee were saying to themselves "Look Europeans are coming to paint us let's drop our neckline below our nipples for them!" They were wearing what they were always wearing. Remember their dress wasn't what any reputable Muslum women would wear. Dancer didn't get a good reputation in the Middle East till the 20th c.

I intend to sew a second one with long sleeves and a high vee neck that should do quite well. Altiras pattern is quite nice, but essentially is only a costume (meaning things that are intended for stage only) pattern. It does not offer any instructions on finishing the jacket in a way that would stand up to constant wear or every day clothing. So I had to hunt down and ransom a more accomplished sewer to help me with those things. In the end it was worth the effort. :)

My unlined coat seeems to be holding up well even under fighting conditons. I have someone who has Altira patterns and sari fabric for a more elabroate set clothing but hasn't gotten the nerve up yet to attepmt it. My sewing skills are at the occasional hand sewn level (e.g. embroidery, decorating bras, belts etc.).

Thanks for the Welcome Red Maria

Where are you located?

I'm in Southern California, temporarily berthed in San Bernardino but looking for a permanent dock nearer into Pasadena.

Back to patterns. Although many would not think that Middle Eastern dress would be appropiate for pirates I would point ouy first that many pirates operated in areas that were uder Arab and Ottman influence such as Madagascar in the Indian Ocean nd North African Coast, Atlantic coast: Tangeirs, Whydah and the Mediterranean: Algiers, Tunis. So it wouldn't be out of line to have gotten booty in the way of textiles and clothing from these areas and have them make thier way back to North America or the Caribbean. So making such garments may display your persona has been around a bit.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency