Mourning Practices

AllByMeOnesies

Anyone know of any good sources for this type of info? I've found very little. I've read about the wearing of black arm bands but was that in lieu of black mourning dress? Did men in the family of the deceased wear black? What about the servants of the house of the deceased? How long was the period of mourning?

Dang.

Spot.jpg

Get a copy of Maureen Waller's 1700 Scenes from London Life and Restoration London by Liza Picard... both deal a bit with mourning customs, although this be every one and not on ships.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I preface this by saying I haven't done much stufy on the subject. But given the inevitability of death back then, I can't say people mourned much, or they'd be mourning all the time. Witness Sir Thomas Modyford, former governor of Jamaica. One he died, the mortar had barely set when his son died six weeks later. Life was not long and death was an accepted thing, far more than it is today when we set up shrines by the roadside and paste our cars with In Memoriums because we can't deal with the fact that everyone dies eventually.

After reading lots of piece of history, there were few big mourning periods that I could see. When Henry Morgan died, the fort fired its cannons and he was laid to rest. Then life returned to normal after the funeral. So even a state hero was just another death.

But that's just my two cents.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

"London's first professional undertaker, William Boyce, opened shop in 1675. William Russell, painter and coffin maker, linked up with the College of Arms in 1689.

"Funerals had become big business..."

About 1/3 of the population died well under fifty. The death rate among people of all ages was higher than it had been a century earlier."

Pages. 108-9 1700 Scenes from London Life.

"After coats and vests came in, the rules of mourning required the diagonal sash worn over the coat to be of dull silk, black to mourn a man and white for a woman or child. Hat bands too must show grief, in the form of "weepers", lengths of thin mat black or white silk falling down the back. The aristocracy put aside its silks and went into wool, in the first extremity of sorrow."

Page 119 Restoration London.

FWIW, my avatar is a fashion plate, original to the GAoP time frame, showing garments for lesser mourning... full mouring actually shows a gown somewhat like a cleric's gown...and the weepers are much longer...actually the more I look at it, looks more like just a long black cloak.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

What about mourning jewelery?

Mourning rings were a popular status symbol well into the 18th century. They were frequently black & gold enamel, sometimes with the deaths head in white on them.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

mourningring.jpg

There is a link with a number of original mourning rings just trying to hunt it down in my collection.... they said something to the effect of gold with black enamel for mourning for a man and gold with white for woman and child... kind of like the sash and weepers. They had a woman's ring...trying to find it...

Crewe of the Archangel

I'm also wondering about those in mourning during their private time. For example, I'm working on something that takes place (besides on the high seas) on a plantation in the late 1690's. I'm wondering if what they wore during the mourning period just while at home was different than in public. I would think so.

Capt. Sterling, I've heard of that book on here before and will check it out. Thankee. Interesting rings. I would think those would be for the aristocracy?? And one wouldn't think something like that could be knocked out in a day or so, so that makes me think mourning was indeed a lengthy deal then (at least for some classes).

Spot.jpg

For what its worth... illustrations of mouring clothes from French Fashion plates from the period.mourningclothes.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

As I understand it, in the Colonies mourning rings were popular, and so were mourning gloves.

Item, I give to every one of my nearest relations instead of Mourning gloves or rings to each of them a Booke as my Exec. shall think fitt.

Item, All the rest residue and remainder of my goods and chattells of what nature or kind soever the same be and not herein before dveised or bequeathed or heretofore by me otherwise disposed of I doe give devise and bequeath unto my son Oliver Ustick whome I doe hereby make ordain constitue and appoint to bee whole and sole Exec. of this my last Will and Testament. Im Witness whereof I the said Katherine Ustick have hereto sett my hand and seale the fourth day of March in the yeare of our Lord God One thousand six hundred and ninety five. 1695

The signe of Katherine Ustick

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Some period accounts of the Irish -

Account of Edward MacLysaght: Kildare 1683

“Their wakes also over dead corpses, where they have a table spread and served with the best that can be had at such a time, and after a while attending (in expectation the departed soul will partake) they fall to eating and drinking, after to reveling as if one of the feasts of Backus”

http://www.bcpl.net/~hutmanpr/wake.html

I'd read once that the fine tradition of mourners telling the most disgusting and unflattering tales about the recently deceased (including outright slander) while drinking copious amounts of alcohol was to ease the emotions of the living.

The Snyod of bishops on three occasions (1660,1668 and 1670) ordered that drinking at wakes should be abolished. On the third occasion , they forbade the distribution in wake-houses of whiskey or brandy; if this rule were disobeyed, they said, no priest would have any connection with either the wake or the funeral. Any priest who who was negligent in stopping this practice would be deprived of his parish. The abuse seems to have continued however, On October 8 1660 the Synod of bishops again forbade the drinking of alcohol at funerals.

Synod of Tuam (1660)

Statue 20 forbids excessive drinking and feasting at Catholic wakes. Money for wakes was to be diverted to the poor and to Masses for the souls of the dead.

Synod of Clones 23/8/1679

Orders an end to drinking and to wakes.

Diocese of Waterford and Lismore

1676- drinking at wakes should cease as it was an insult to God

1687- Drinking forbidden

1750- troubles with drinking at wakes reported.

Dances for nickels.

As I understand it, in the Colonies mourning rings were popular, and so were mourning gloves.
Item, I give to every one of my nearest relations instead of Mourning gloves or rings to each of them a Booke as my Exec. shall think fitt.

Item, All the rest residue and remainder of my goods and chattells of what nature or kind soever the same be and not herein before dveised or bequeathed or heretofore by me otherwise disposed of I doe give devise and bequeath unto my son Oliver Ustick whome I doe hereby make ordain constitue and appoint to bee whole and sole Exec. of this my last Will and Testament. Im Witness whereof I the said Katherine Ustick have hereto sett my hand and seale the fourth day of March in the yeare of our Lord God One thousand six hundred and ninety five. 1695

The signe of Katherine Ustick

Seems to be in England as well... When S. Pepys's father died in 1667 he 'resolved to put myself and wife, and Barker & Jane, W. Hewers and Tom in mourning, and my two undermaids, to give them hoods and scarfs & gloves'. Thus the custom of supplying mourners, including servants, and wedding guests with gloves, continued unabated. In 1685, Sir Ralph Verney records the largesse which accompanied Sir Richard Piggott's funeral, 'wee that bore up the pall had Rings, Scarfs, Hat-bands, Shammee Gloves of the best fashion.... the rest of the Gentry had Rings and all the Servants gloves...." pg.33

Sir Walter Calverley gave 140 pairs of gloves to the mourners and their servant's at his sister's funeral... pg.34

Gloves, Valerie Cummings.

Crewe of the Archangel

Morning Practices, 17th Century...

Unless we're under attack I usually sleep until mid-afternoon.On those rare occasions that my slumber is disturbed I usually start the day by cursing God, heathen Spaniards, and all the French. If there be a wench sleepin' next me I'll practice me manners and ask her what her name be.

Then it's to the rhum keg. It's usually empty (see: cursing God).Then I'll see that my pistols are charged.If there be any dead folks in me cabin I'll call fer the ship's boy to tidy things up. After the breakfast grog arrives I'll ask the me first mate if she has any shiny new wymmin captives.If she says yea and they be free of the French Pox I'll invite them to breakfast. Assuming that the ships cook is sober enough not to set the bloody ship on fire we'll have bacon, eggs, and ale.If the cook be too drunk (Tuesday-Sunday) we usually break our fast with bread, fruit, cheese and wine.If our captives be cheerleaders we'll usually serve sangria.

750ml dry red wine

half cup o' white sugar

juice of a lemon

juice of an orange

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Captain,

Is this the other mouring ring you were looking for?

Angel and Skull Mourning Ring - 1690

Nice find Cheeks but this is a slide, meant to be worn on a ribbon, not a ring...

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 years later...

Another London Gazette find that I figured someone would be interested in while I was again looking for something else... :lol:

Citation is from the lower right hand corner of This Page The cut and pasted text is crap and too long for me to edit right now... But there is a description of two womens mourning (morning?) gowns from 1677 (bit on the early side, but so what).

SOme Goods found and caken in a Ditch near QtadwtH, by

George Cbarvdl of cbaJwell in che Councy of EJs,x Husbandman,

and delivered to Mr. Taylei che is*day of October

11577. by the said Gewjef-orv"'/ for thc use pfthe £erd

of che Manner, ire. as followeth.

Two Womens morning Gowns,, the one of a black and gold

colour, the other a purple and white single c.oss- barred Lute

String. One lemon-coloured watered Mohair Petticoat, with

a silver Galoom. Two changeable French sarcenet Petticoacs

half worn ouc. One black faraehec Pin up Petticoat half

Worn ouc. One black Farrendin* Skirt of a Gown opea before.

One white glass Necklace. Two. coarse Shifts, and

four whice Aprons. One ivory stick fad coloured Fan. Two

Womens Bands, one noc made up Two whice s/Womens )

Sleeves. Four laced Forehead Cloach*. One laced Pinner.

One lactd Quoif. One pair of laded Russets. Four laced

^Tuckers. One Box Comb. One Pocket. Handkerchief Two

plain Qrmifs. Three pair of old Gsoves for Women/ and one

Orange coloured Ribon, Give nocice ac the *ing(l at IflfirM

near Rtmfoti in Esex,

Michael_banner.jpg

Where did they start and why do we do the things we do for the passing of a love one? Most of our modern day practices started at the end of the 17th Century. First, there is the "Undertaker". The name itself pretty much says it all. This man would 'under take' all tasks associated with preparing the dearly departed for his final send off. Everything from working with the parish to making sure the family and servants were dressed properly. Items such as mourning rings were worn to remember one's own mortality, not just for remembering the loss of a loved one.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Some period accounts of the Irish -

Account of Edward MacLysaght: Kildare 1683

"Their wakes also over dead corpses, where they have a table spread and served with the best that can be had at such a time, and after a while attending (in expectation the departed soul will partake) they fall to eating and drinking, after to reveling as if one of the feasts of Backus"

http://www.bcpl.net/~hutmanpr/wake.html

I'd read once that the fine tradition of mourners telling the most disgusting and unflattering tales about the recently deceased (including outright slander) while drinking copious amounts of alcohol was to ease the emotions of the living.

Hmmm.... Sounds like my family. Not to make light of death, but every wake in my family turns into a party where we drink ourselves stupid for a few days, tell embarrassing stories and get reacquainted with the family we haven't seen since the last wedding or funeral... Good to see we are continuing long established traditions.

On another note, those rings and gloves that have been mentioned- were they the precursor to the black armbands people often wear today? How far does that go back?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Armbands were already in use for our time frame. Now just to remember where I found that information... so people don't have a stroke and join the deceased.

Crewe of the Archangel

Get a copy of Maureen Waller's 1700 Scenes from London Life and Restoration London by Liza Picard... both deal a bit with mourning customs, although this be every one and not on ships.

I'm about 2/3 thru this book, and have found it to be a great read, and an excellent starting point for further research.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea touches on some practices at sea.

Crewe of the Archangel

I finally found a great reseach source for those looking for further detail on the history of Mourning during the mid to late 17th Century.

Mourning Dress: A Costume and Social History (Hardcover)

by Lou Taylor

Out of Print--Limited Availability.

Hardcover: 327 pages

Publisher: Unwin Hyman (August 1983)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0047460164

ISBN-13: 978-0047460166

Though this book is hard to find (check your local library) it is a wonderful resource for how the dress and mourning practices for our time period. Very enlightening and informative.

I highly recommend it.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Merchant ships in mourning would often cockbill their yards from dawn to dusk, although later on this custom is seen in naval fleets around the world as well. Cockbilling the yards consisted of canting the yards to one side or the other. If the mainmast was cocked to port, the fore and mizzen were cocked to starboard. Additionally, the mizzen and trisail gaff peaks would be lowered. Earlier naval vessels would hoist the ensign at half mast and fire 'minute guns' instead of cockbilling the yards, though later on the cockbilling became popular in the navy as well. Although I cannot find the documentation right now, I seem to remember that greenery hoisted up the mast was a sign that someone had died. However, I also don't know how old that tradition is, as it seems more like a New England/Great Lakes tradition from the 1800s. But, the last bit is really just a guess.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Here's a bit of interesting information, from the book, “Mourning Dress”

In the chapter called, Mourning Jewelry; it states the follow about 'superstitions' and may be the basis of why sailors were hesitant of dying at sea.

The ruling on matt finishes for both jewelry and mourning fabrics alike – was a survival of the most ancient superstitions concerning ‘reflected images’ of the dead. The Narcissus legend of the Ancient Greeks was based on the fear of looking at one’s reflection in water, lest the water spirits would drag under one’s reflection, or soul, and that soul-less one would die, leaving one’s soul wandering the earth forever, escaping its’ Heaven and its final resting spot.

With this in mind, it may be one of the reasons why many sailors feared dying at sea. If one could be buried upon land (any land), it would make sure their soul would ascend to heaven. A burial at sea was not a good thing.

Member of "The Forsaken"