Toy canon

Last weekend while some were off at Re-enactor Fest 2, which I was supposed to go to (but couldn't, oh, woe is me... :huh: ) I did go to a Living History Trade Fair in North-East Ohio as my placebo...

And while there I found this little toy. It is a copy of a more Rev-War type of canon (mortar), but I thought it's amusement value would out-weigh it's slightly out of period character....

Anyway, here is a link of a mySpace video I made of this toy in action. Hope you enjoy!

Firing of the canon!

I managed to pick up some other items while there, some that might pertain to this period, others for my other period of interest... The trade fair as a whole had a fairly strong late 18th and early 19th century focus (F&I war, American Rev-War, North American War of 1812, and American Civil War etc.)

Michael_banner.jpg

How wicked, Michael!

Aye... I'd like to have one of those toy cannons for kids to learn how to be a cannoneer.

I know it was discussed at the college I attend since we have an Equestrian Drill Team that's more in a Civil War theme... with a buckboard and a possible "cannon" that fires off confetti or whatever.

So... where can one find such a cannon?

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well Lady Barbossa...

I forget the name of the company, but I do have the gent's business card at home.... so I will post what info I have later...

What I can say from memory, is the guy does not have a web site... He does have email and is willing to take orders via email.....

As for children.... I don't know how little your chillens are, but I wouldn't recomend this for the very young as the mini-cannon uses black powder, and the envelopes that the powder come in possibly contain as much black powder as a bullet would, and cuold be mildly dangerous...

But an older kid, or a well mannered child under parental supervision could have a TON of fun with these things...

Oh, the guy makes three models of cannons... The mortar that I bought, a rev-war cannon in a similar scale to the mortar (similar diameter, but much llonger barrel, about 2 1/2 inches), and a civil war cannon that is slightly bigger than the rev-war cannon (about a 3 inch barrel)... He seels all three unassembled, assembled but plain, and assembled and painted.... The costs vary between $15 and up (I think the Civil War cannon painted is around $35)..

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough... I'll post the email and contact info later.... :ph34r:

Michael_banner.jpg

Luckily, not looking at an actual working on. I know at Oshkosh a year an' a half ago they had as part of their exhibit a toy cannon that kids could use. They loaded up a cannon with a toy cannonball, used the rammer, then touched the touch hole with some stick and it made a boom sound as though it fired. Kids LOVED that!

I'm kicking myself that we didn't get our hands upon that cannon despite the price cause IT WAS PERFECT!!!

But... perhaps a cannon like that might be good for our Drill Team. :::Shrugs::: do give me info nonetheless. I'm curious about this gent now. :)

Thanks. :)

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Okay, as promised here is the contact info for the micro firing cannons for anyone interested...

The company is called "GMRHTC" (Great Miami River Highbanks Trading Company).... The business card contact info reads as follows...

Randy F. Albright

10160 N Hetzler Rd

Piqua, OH 45356-955

(937)773-1437

gmrhtc1 at earthlink.net (I didn't type the email correctly to try and prevent internet spy-bots from harvesting the address)

Michael_banner.jpg