Windlass Dutch Cutlass

:blink: This particular item in back on the market,although not yet through Museum Replcas Ltd.

It's being offered through By the Sword,Inc.The going price is $235.00,unsharpened,and not including carrying charges.

I've gotten enrolled with MyArmoury.com.and some of the folks there think quite highly of the current status of these items.

1.)1085 carbon steel.

2.)Heat tempered and tested

3.)Full tang.

That's what they're stating in writing,and I guess your could contact the BBB locally if you're not satisfied.

By the Sword,Inc. is located at:

P.O.Box 07282

Ft. Meyers,Fl.,(I forgot the Zip Code).

1-877-433-9719

Obviously this is the same one Museum Replica has unless they're stealing one another's photos:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCa...ch_cutlass.aspx

Same price too. Strange.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 3 weeks later...
This particular piece of merchandise is also being offered by Loyalist Arms and Repairs,out of harrietsfield,Nova Scotia.

Their price is $120 or less(American).

Seems like the place to go,no?

Well, I went to the Loyalist Arms website and I did not see this piece there. They do list a Dutch Cutlass, but it is a different piece; sans clamshell, etc.

I did notice that they also list what they call a 17th Cent Pirate Cutlass with steel basket for $151.86 CAN, which is the seems to be the same piece often offered for $50-$80 US.

Don't know how historically accurate it is, but you can tell it is definitely based on historical styling. I think it is quite plausible, and is very handsome. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Aye! Captain Midnight, it's a lovely piece indeed.

I was planning on getting one for meself, but for a variety of reasons, have ordered a hunting sword from Godwin instead. Strange how things work out sometimes: this piece came back on the market just days after I committed to the other; I hadn't expected it to be released for a few more months. Patience? Uh...pyrate!

Here's a link to the review of the prior release from My Armoury: Windlass Dutch Cutlass

Seems they used to be a close-out item!

I've had a personal communication from Blair,at Loyalist Arms and Repair this past week.The Dutch Cutlass they've been offering for a number of years is NOT the clamshell hilt cutlass that they're goingt o be offering later this Spring!

He sent me a copy of the shell hilt and if it isn't the same as the one offered by Windlass,it's almost the same.I certainly couldn't tell any differences.

Gene George,who reviewed the "Dutch"Cutlass at MyArmoury.com states that while he has never purchased anything from them,he found them to be prompt and professional in his dealings with them.Further,author John Maddox Roberts HAS purchased from them,and found them to deal with quality merchandise. :lol:

Now,can anybody tell me if the Boss in Nova Scotia is the Bosa Nova? :lol:

I've had a personal communication from Blair,at Loyalist Arms and Repair this past week.The Dutch Cutlass they've been offering for a number of years is NOT the clamshell hilt cutlass that they're going to be offering later this Spring!

When they switch to the clamshell Dutch Cutlass from Windlass, will they be keeping the price same as current?

Blair informed me that they will be keeping the Dutch Cutlass listed currently on their site,and adding the Clamshell Hilt in addition.

Further,he also informed me that there will be several other types of cutlasses added to their current catalog,without eliminating any of the ones currently in stock.

he went on to say that the price for the Clamshell Hilt will be $120.00 or less.(American Dollars.) :lol:

Now,for the love of Heaven,can anybody out there inform me as to wether the Boss in Nova Scotia is the Bosa Nova? ;)

Now,for the love of Heaven,can anybody out there inform me as to wether the Boss in Nova Scotia is the Bosa Nova? :lol:

The boss in Nova Scotia is called the Premiere... But I think that the east coasters would probably have a good enough sense of humour to be willing to try and pass a motion in the provincial parliament to have the title of "Premiere" to "Bosa Nova"... ;) After all, I've been there and there really isn't much else to do unless your really into sea fishing (which I am not)...

It would actually work pretty well for them... The accent there would make the phrase "Boss of Nova" sound almost exactly like "Bosa Nova" anyway... ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was always of the opinion that the Clamshell hilt/Dutch Cutlass offered by Windlass Steelcrafts was most likely inspired by the 17th century clamshell hilts viewed in the illustrations seen in Esquemling's book on the Buccaneers.

It seems that there actually WAS a historical antecedent.It can be viewed in Gilkerson's "Boarder's Away-With Steel",on pgs.74-75.It appears to be a model that was issued to the fleet via the offices of the Dutch East India Company as late as 1795. ;)