Weapons for a Sea-Battle.

Patrick Hand

Capt. Bo’s Blunderbuss thread got me thinking…

Obviously, Pyrates want to intimidate their prey, so they don’t have to board and fight, but if that doesn’t work, what weapons would you carry?

If I’m using a musket, there are two places where I would be the most efficient…

1. Up in the “tops” so I could fire down at the other ships Officers and gun crews (and any other target that presents itself). But if I were up in the tops, why would I bother carrying a cutlass, it would just get in the way. I wouldn’t get into any “hand-to-hand combat” so any extra weapons would just be extra clutter and weight that I don’t need.

2. Somewhere on deck, looking for a good shot. Once again, would I even bother with a cutlass, I wouldn’t be actually “boarding” the other ship. If anything went really wrong, a plug bayonet would turn my musket into a short pike. A back-up boarding axe might come in handy…

If I’m a part of the Boarding Party, I’d want a Blunderbuss, as many pistols as I could fit in my belt, a cutlass, and a knife (as a last-ditch back-up… if I ever had to use the knife, I would be in some “Real” trouble…)

Fire the Blunderbuss at almost “point-blank range”. If there is a chance to re-load the blunderbuss (the flared muzzle… makes re-loading easier) I’d do so, otherwise I’d keep it in my left hand. Pull and fire the pistol(s)… Once everything is empty, then I’d use the cutlass….

Provided the cannon didn't intimidate them, and boarding became necessary, I would not carry a 'buss calmbering over the rails, not on the first line. Maybe second wave. I would count on the tops and rail gunners to clear me a space to board. Once on the other deck, lots of pistols. Then cutlass and empty pistol (or cutlass pistol, there's another thread) or cutlass and axe.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Patrick, I think you have it pretty well thought out as usual. I would think if the deck was crowded with people fighting, fast and easy would come to mind for someone smaller. I wouldn't want to be standing still and aiming. I'd take a brace of pistols, a cutlass and more than one knife hid about. Oh and possibly one of those clay grenades..just to even the numbers a bit if possible. I'd also expect /hope for the gunners to take out as many as they could from aloft or the cannon first.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

For me... I think it would be boarding axe and cutlass.

That being said... I just spent a small fortune on a Handmortar.... :angry:

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Aye. I think Red Jenny got the right of it. A brace of pistols. A small pocket pistol in me boot for dire situations, a cutlass and an assortment of small blades

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Having been so lucky as to have had the experience of climbing over the side of a square-rigger in the open ocean into a jollyboat, and having done years of reenacting with flintlocks in reenactments both large and small, armed with musket, blunderbuss and/or multiple pistols, I would choose a cutlass and a half dozen pistols.

Why? If I'm crossing from ship to ship, or boat to ship, rather not have to hassle with a full length musket. Same goes for the blunderbuss. As much as I love Vera, she just gets in the way when I need to rapid fire. I want to be able to draw and fire and draw and fire and draw and fire as quickly as possible.

Now, if our two ships were locked in mortal combat, and I wasn't part of the boarding party, or if we were on land in close quarters with cover, I'd be more than willing to carry Vera, and a brace of pistols, and a cutlass. In fact, that's how I was armed at the last reenactment we had.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

That being said... I just spent a small fortune on a Handmortar....

That's one of the fun parts of what would you use in a Sea Battle... the muskets and GoF's Handmortar would be more usefull as firepower support for the actual boarding party.... as the firepower support, We could fire and re-load a buncha times, and anyone we hit, is one less person the boarding party has to deal with.......

Patrick I want ya behind me when I'm boardin! (on the home ship that is B) )

From the perspective of a musketeer, My Primary targets would be the other ships officers…. The sailors on a merchant ship don’t want to die for someone else’s cargo… but the officers tell them to defend the ship…. Take out the officers, and you take out the motivators…

Secondary targets (they become primary at times though..) any cannon aiming at the mast that I am on…. Hey… if they can take out where I’m standing…. I’m outta work…. So anyone aiming and threatening me…. Shoot them…. Well the guy with the linstock… or in charge of the gun crew…..BANG…..

Hey…. It’s not glamorous or glorious but we get what we want……

Patrick, you always make me think... Thanx brother!

As I am still in the process of "getting my sea-legs uder me" and have far to go, I still think in terms of the woods-runner. I have seen plenty of action in land warfare in re-enactments, and I love my axe and knife combo. I also love pistols, but for some reason, have never aquired any of real serviceable value.

I would opt for axe and cutlass myself. (a chairleg and broken bottle have served me quite well int he past too! :) )

See, this is why I love portraying a naval officer... my boarding weapons are a swivel gun and a file of marines... :lol:

But if I must get my hands dirty then give me a boarding pike, or better still, a boat hook :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

a musket: to be some what on deck and be able to fire at will and hit a very easy target some what not un-noticed.and,if i am sort of hidden i might be able to have some time to re-load.

axe:this to use from any distance to hit a target a hard shot it be from a far,but if i hit the enemy im glad! :lol:

"yoho,hoho,a pirates life for me!"

• 4 weeks later...

WEll he does make a tall target. :P

But once they shoot im, then wot?!

We always think in terms of lots and losts of death-dealing hardware - blunderbuss and three brace of big pistols and a cutlass and all that - : but consider the situation, mates: yer climbing over the rail, both vessels are rocking and rolling: smoke, shots, screams, tight spaces:

I really believe the best thing would be just a cutlass.

Less bulk and weight to lug, leaves one hand free at all times, no need to worry about which weapon to grab and use, no worrying about yer weapon being useless after you've just used it...I say, just concentrate on that thing in yer dominant hand and hack yer way ahead! :)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"