Sea Monsters

MorganTyre

Does anyone have a reference or references to period beliefs in sea monsters? What types were genuinely thought to exist at the time (mermaids?, the kraken?, serpents?) and which had already fallen out of favor. Also does anyone have any good sources of period illustrations of sea monsters?

Ropework_Header.jpg

I assume this is what you seek...

"Some of the earliest tales about huge, tentacled sea monsters date back to the 12th century when Norwegian seafarers described an awesome beast called a Kraken.

By the 18th century the Kraken still had a fearsome reputation. In The Natural History of Norway, the Bishop of Bergen likened it to a "floating island," adding, "It seems these are the creature's arms, and, it is said, if they were to lay hold of the largest man-of-war [a ship], they would pull it down to the bottom."

By National Geographic

kraken.jpg

kraken2.jpg

OUCHIES!!!

Now hmmmm whar's me tartar sauce?!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 1 month later...

Searching through period etchings, I came across this one and located the poem to go with it. This would fall under period Lore I suppose..

Description of below:

Engraving of the Kraken alongside a sailing ship, derived from similar earlier engravings, the earliest of which date from the 16th century. From Erich Pontoppidan’s (1698-1764) 'The Natural History of Norway', the only English translation of the work, published in London in 1755. Pontoppidan wrote: 'Amongst the many great things that are in the ocean...is the Kraken. This creature is the largest and most surprizing of all the animal creation'. Although huge sea-serpents off Norway's coasts had been described before, this was the first time they were called 'The Kraken'. The word was thus introduced into the English language

--

1755.jpg

Below the thunders of the upper deep;

Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,

His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep

The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee

About his shadowy sides; above him swell

Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;

And far away into the sickly light,

From many a wondrous grot and secret cell

Unnumber'd and enormous polypi

Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.

There hath he lain for ages, and will lie

Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,

Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;

Then once by man and angels to be seen,

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

(C 1830 - Tennyson)

"On the 6th of July 1734, when off the south coast of Greenland, a sea-monster appeared to us, whose head, when raised, was on level with our main-top. Its snout was long and sharp, and it blew water almost like a whale; it has large broad paws; its body was covered with scales; its skin was rough and uneven; in other respects it was as a serpent; and when it dived, its tail, which was raised in the air, appeared to be a whole ship's length from its body."

Full and Particular Relation of my Voyage to Greenland, as a Missionary, in the year 1734

egede.jpg

More horrid creatures from the Deep at

http://www.strangescience.net/stsea2.htm

And there is the passage most sailors of the period would be familiar with:

But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights. Book of Jonah, 1:17

Dances for nickels.

Spongebob ain't a seamonster.... but this guy might be....

Patrick.JPG

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Awww he's only dangerous to his immediate friends..take a quote from Spongebob

You know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok."

LOL :o:o