How did they keep th TP dry

Patrick Hand

OK.... I think this topic was started before......

But it is a "fact" of life...........

We are use to "whipeing" ..... when we are done with to toilet.....

At the "head" of the ship..... (the place where you did your "business")..... well there wern't any toilet paper racks........

With out getting Too gross....... (and keeping it pg-13)

Well they had to "go"

In Period...... did they just not worry about it...... (eeeeeweh..........)

But I will argue that is what they did........ outhouses had th' corncobs... or latter period the Sears Roebuck catalog........ did they just do the Icky breaches thing.......

Sorry... but I wonder about this ......well........icky... stuff....

How did people live back then...........

Icky breaches ...........

sorry, that made me laugh,,, goode question tho. I wonder?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Maybe they kept a bucket of seawater handy, sos you could clean yourself off. They had to have done something, 'cause ya never see pictures of guys with big stains on the seat of their slops. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

flannel butt wipes?

Seriously. Any hand sized scrap of cloth works just fine. It doesn't need to be wet or anything, just wash it out & reuse as needed. They'd only need one and it could just be a scrap from what ever clothing they had worn to death.

oops, my inner hippie is showing!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

In his later life the pirate and all-round rogue Bartholomew Sharp used writs issued against him to "wipe his breech" :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Seriously, they used an unraveled rope for wiping. As the little boys room was at the bowsprit, the rope was hung in the water for cleaning (yuck!) and pulled up again by the next one to use it. Of course, this was able seamen only.

Officers had those nice little pots under their beds for.. ye know. Plus they had the ship's boy for flushing those overboard.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Seriously, they used an unraveled rope for wiping. As the little boys room was at the bowsprit, the rope was hung in the water for cleaning (yuck!) and pulled up again by the next one to use it. Of course, this was able seamen only.

Now, I'm not disputing it, but do you have any evidence for that? I've heard it a few times, but never actually managed to get past the "sailors' lore has it that..." arguments. It seems as good a way as any, but do we actually know that they did it?

Officers had those nice little pots under their beds for.. ye know. Plus they had the ship's boy for flushing those overboard.

Not to mention the stern gallery if the ship was significant enough to have one.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Not to mention the stern gallery if the ship was significant enough to have one.

That would be to the port and stbd of the poop deck, wouldn't it? :lol:

Now, I'm not disputing it, but do you have any evidence for that?

I seem to have read it somewhere. But I'll have to think if it was contemporary or by a historian.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Erm, not exactly no...

The galleries usually ran around the outside of the vessel level with one or more (depending on the size of ship, some ships had more than one gallery) decks beneath the poop deck.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk