Pirates in Georiga, (Savannah or Tybee Island?)

GreySaber

Hello. This is my first post here, and I'm hoping this forum will be able to help with with some rather specific research.

I'm looking for information on Pirates (although I will accept information on privateers) who operated in Georgia. I need names, times, places, ship names, and titles of works on the subject. I need quite a lot of information, so pointers to sources are espeically welcome. (Provided I can find them online or at a library...)

The primary rule is that they have to have, at some time, been known to be based in Georiga. Savannah Ga has a restruant called the 'pirate house' which inspired Treasure Island and was supposidly a Pirate hang out, but I cannot find any information on speicific pirates who might have been there, except for the fictional captain flint.). I am also informed that Tybee island was a pirate stop, and has legends of treasure, (not that I beleive them, but pirate history nonetheless.) Again, no speicific pirates or what they were up to.

So far the only information I can find about pirates in this area is "they were here, spend tourist dollars." This is a very low level of "where," and I am in need of all five questions, Who and what and where and when and how.

Actually, I have found one name, and that is that Pierre Lafitte (Jean Lafitte's brother) turned up in Savannah for a short time, but how long he was there, and what he was doing isn't listed, though I intend to see if I can find out.

Thank you all for any help you can give. (Yes, I did do a search before posting. ) :)

Greetings fellow Southern nautical researcher.

Tough topic.

You may want to take the course of area shipwrecks in your quest as well as pirates/privateers associated with SC. There are two books dealing with Georgia wrecks that I know of. Unfortunately, many of my nautical history books are still in storage from our recent move.

1st: Shipwrecks of South Carolina & Georgia by Gary Gentile. Tis is a

diving series. Have ordered, not reviewed. Gentile's other books are very infomative with ships' history. Often on Amazon.com

2nd: Shipwrecks of South Carolina & Gerogia by E. Lee Spence. This 2 volume work by Dr. Spence, who located the Hunley, is rare. It lists wrecks from the 1500's up to 1865. Have not receive this yet from interlibrary loan, yet sounds hopeful

Best use inter-library loan or try Bookfinder.com

Privateers that used Savannah:

1) 1812 War: The Charleston-based schooner Saucy Jack, captained by John Chazal. Savannah was a safe haven for the Jack and her prizes. While there on Sept. 20, 1814, the Jack's fore mast was struck by lightening and the bolt exited out the stern. After repairs, she returned on Nov 28th with another prize.

2) War Between the States: The brig Jefferson Davis, capt'n'd by Louis Coxetter, sent some prizes into Savannah. In William Robinson Jr.'s The Confederate Privateers, p. 234-235, several other vessels are mentioned (schooner Gallatin, brig Hallie Jackson, and schooner Triton. Yet since the Union parked two steamers at the mouth of the Savannah River in mid -1861, the town was essentially shut down as a privateer base.

Hope this helps.

Best regards to ye

Negative rather than positive I'm afraid, but IIRC the Pirate House in Savannah has little or nothing to do with historical pirates, and the connection with Treasure Island is coincidental (the Pirates House claim, for example, that Captain Flint died in the building in TI, but the book makes no such reference).

However, the Pirates House being a tourist trap doesn't mean that there is no pirate history in the area, so good luck with your research!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Regarding the 'Pirate House' (actually a tavern) in Georgia, there was a Travel Channel log last year that actually went into it and underneath it where several secret rooms are.

I have absolutely no doubt that pirates did in fact not only hide there, but did congregate on a regular basis there to conduct business in one of it's many side rooms on ground level.

It's a place I would like to see myself, should I ever get to Georgia. :lol:

Hmmm if I recall correctly, there is an inn in Cornwall that makes the same claim to being the inspiration for Treasure Island...

As for the Pirate House in Georgia, Foxe is correct about it being a tourist trap...... although the food is half way decent and they make a mean skullkicker rum punch. Does it have to be Georgia? South Carolina, now they have quiet a history regarding pirates or Newport RI...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm if I recall correctly, there is an inn in Cornwall that makes the same claim to being  the inspiration for Treasure Island...

As for the Pirate House in Georgia, Foxe is correct about it being a tourist trap...... although the food is half way decent and they make a mean skullkicker rum punch.  Does it have to be Georgia?  South Carolina, now they have quiet a history regarding pirates or Newport RI...

Just Georgia for now. If I cannot find enough, I might make another thread for other areas.

I could very well be incorrect in this, nevertheless...

To my knowledge, if this is the establishment in Savannah which has tunnels discovered in semi-recent past that catacomb reputedly as far as the river; then it would be Smugglers, not pirates, involved. (Unless said individuals were River Pirates, which did exist.)

Structure is 1700's? I have not seen it, myself in person, but am aquainted with one that brought back images from a trip to said locals which offered view of subterra tunnel entrance unearthed by pure stroke of luck.

Am I correct in the placing of said establishment?

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I could very well be incorrect in this, nevertheless...

To my knowledge, if this is the establishment in Savannah which has tunnels discovered in semi-recent past that catacomb reputedly as far as the river; then it would be Smugglers, not pirates, involved. (Unless said individuals were River Pirates, which did exist.)

Structure is 1700's? I have not seen it, myself in person, but am aquainted with one that brought back images from a trip to said locals which offered view of subterra tunnel entrance unearthed by pure stroke of luck.

Am I correct in the placing of said establishment?

Is not any pirate in a legal port a smuggler?

I think what they're trying to say is that while all pirates are technically smugglers, it's smuggling on a ship or boat that makes a pirate. If they were smuggling across state lines or international land boundaries, they're not pirates.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

It's stealing at sea that makes a pirate - you can be a smuggler in a boat without being a pirate.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk