Delaware Tall Ship loses Master & Commander

TheBlackFox

I only met Capt. Hiott once, but he was a great guy. . . . he would have made an excellent pirate. His knowledge of tall ships was unparalled and he had forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about hauling the rigging on tall ship.

Worse, the man passed from melanoma. . . a terrible, long-effecting, and painful cancer.

A great sailor is gone. I wish his family the most thoughtfelt condolences and wish upon his soul the fastest sail and strongest following seas to paradise. I hope to shake his hand once again. . . on Fiddler's Green.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0/NEWS/61110036

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.

He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Psalm 107: 23-30

Dances for nickels.

We. The Brigands , are sorely grieved to hear of the loss. We met David 3 years ago at the Blackbeard Festival, and a more gracious and friendly man we've not known. Letting a rank amature band swarm his decks to take publicity photos, explaining endless questions on the ship and its rigging and even taking delight in our music.

Each year at Blackbeard, talking with him was always a high point of the Festival. Saying he will be sorely missed by friends, patrons and especially his shipmates is a sad understatement but will have to suffice.

Truely a Master and Commander in every sense of the word

A fair wind and a following sea to you, Sir, and may the Lord take you into your well deserved berth.

Al, Erik and Brett Mueller

The Brigands

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

He was quite the captain, and it was out of respect for him that I never liked to assume the title captain. He was just that kind of. Captain through and through. He will be missed...

"please send or bring cards to the

office for Cap (and to Sherry and the kids) Kalmar Nyckel Foundation,

Capt. Hiott, 1124 E. 7th St., Wilmington, DE 19801. Second, take some

time to write a little memoir of your time with Cap. Funny stories, or

what he means to you! We're going to make a nice memory book for the

family, and would love to include notes from many or all of you. Please

feel free to do it your way, either e-mail notes to me

bosun@kalmarnyckel. org or mail them to the office, attn: Bosun. I'd

also like some pictures or hand written notes, or newspaper clippings,

or anything that is interesting and will spice up the book. This will

be presented at a later date, once we finish it (not right now). "

I will always think of him leaning out over that rail wishing us a safe trip ashore...

kal004s.jpg

:lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Being new to the world of east coast sailing, I only met the Nyckel and her master once. But I couldn't recount the number of times I've heard former Nyckel hands speak fondly of their "Cap".

Fair winds.

Eternal Father, strong to save

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave.

Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep

Oh hear us when we cry to thee

For those in peril on the sea.

..Not much I can say that hasn't been said, either on or offline. David was a fine man; ASTA gave him a lifetime achievement award the other day....We talked in Oyster Bay, just good pirate talk, if'n ya savvy...After both ships sailed from NYC, we passed offshore at the mouth of the Delaware, where Kalmar Nyckel headed upstream, and we tucked inside Cape May for a layover..A brief 'Fair Winds, Mate' on the VHF, and we both wwent our separate ways....Sail on, Sailor......

:lol:

I met the man twice this year. Each time he was delighted to share information about his ship and encouraged me to join the crew. I was looking forward to learning from him and serving on his ship. His crew will miss him and remember him fondly.