Swords

Sidewinder

They're pretty. And probably worth the price for what they are, although if you wait around a while, budk is pretty well known for running specials, so you could possibly find them cheaper if they happen to come around again to their specials list.

If you're looking for something that you can use as more than decoration, though, avoid them.

Just my 2 cents.

sig2.jpg

blackjohn--

Not to be argumentative... Well, okay, maybe just a little... :lol:

For my own use, I would agree with you completely. However, there are some advantages to stainless steel. Mainly, no maintenance. Okay, that's the single, only advantage.

For someone who is only going for decorative purposes, I would actually recommend something like this. Not much sadder to me than a rusty sword -- which often happens to a quality piece bought for the single purpose of hanging on a wall or being broken out once a year to wear to a Ren Faire.

Just 2 more of my cents, which makes 4 on this thread...

sig2.jpg

It is better to save your money for quality than to buy cheap. A quality weapon is an heirloom weapon. A quality weapon will be admired by those who understand it and those who don't. A quality weapon won't eventually end up in a yard sale.

Cheap weapons are a dime a dozen, and the word 'dime' should never apply to your weapon of choice. The balance, quality of materials and workmanship on a cheap weapon make it a worthless piece in the long run and a waste of money, no matter how little you spend.

And if I've learned one thing while visiting here, never set blackjohn's opinion aside lightly.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

I agree with you all.

If it is for decorative purposes, the sole purpose of hanging on a wall or being broken out once a year to wear to a Ren Faire why spend the money?

If this is to be purchased as a re-enacter with a passion then by all means buy something that will be evidence of that passion.

Then there is the middle ground. This is where I fall. I am a performer not a re-enacter. However, I want to learn from the re-enacters. The easiest way to do this is to spend time with them. If your garb/kit keeps you out of the encampment then you are a audience member. As a performer I do not wish to spend too much time as an audience member so, I aim closer to the authentic thus allowing me on the side of the "rope" I wish to be on. If you are content in the audience then by all means, save your coin.

They are not That bad.... better than most of the pot metal Pyrate swords that are out there....

OK... they are stainless.... (and if I remember correctly... the CLASSIC SABER only had the blade out of stainless... with a threaded rod welded on for the tang....) I was thinking of getting one... junking the guard and grip, and fixing it up..... hey.. it was a cheap way to go......

But you might want to do some looking around....The CLASSIC SABER WITH SHEATH was going for $19.95 a few months ago....

If you are handy with tools, you could get one of the India made 1742 British Infantry swords (Dixie Gun Works sells them for about $65. ) Hacksaw the end of the guard off at the tang, and fix up your own sword that is much better....

If you want something to wear with pyrate garb, as an accessory, for fun... they arn't that bad..... But if you want to be authentic.... then save your money for something else.....

I bought 10 of those classic cutlass swords from bud k when they went on clearance. ..

If you go to rabble rousing and look at the bakersfield halloween pics I posted, you'll see 3 of em crossed together stuck in the ground. For 10 dollar swords, they're perfect!..

I thought they would be total junk, but they're sorta nice. I wouldn't be clinking them against each other, but they're not bad. ..

In fact, I saw a vendor at the pirate faire in ojai selling the same sword (said bud k on it) for $50 bucks! If you want it, buy it. It's only ten bucks. ...

I don't know about that other one. I'm not a real big fantasy blade type person, but the hand guard is kinda interesting.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Those don't look half bad.

It's sometimes hard to tell if the picture in the catalog is going to look as good as the real thing.

When money is a little less tight, I may have to get me a few of those, for the "hangers-on" that like to dress, but not often enough to invest in their own kit. We've got a few of those, as I'm sure do others...

sig2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...