Period Writting

Patrick Hand

Ok ... this is for a non-authentic project.... but I have no idea where to find pictures on the internet that shows period writting......

In a few of my Pyrate books there are a few examples of writting, but most of them are way too small to see how the letters were formed.... and there is not enough to find all of the letters......

So does anyone know where I might be able to find pictures of period writting on the internet......

Right now, I'm basing it off of copperplate/Spencurian.... but both styles are after the period.... looking at some of the pictures in books.... it looks almost the same..... but I want MORE INFO...... (sorry bout th' yelling.... :lol: )

Patrick,

Here's what I found. I have been searching rather fruitlessly as well online there be no pics!

Seems Ben Franklin wrote in Copperplate so I'm thinking museum or library of Congress

--------

Copperplate evolved in the earliest part of the 18th century due to a need for an efficient commercial hand in England. The "secretary hand" (a cursive variety of Gothic minuscule), the "mixed hand", and the more elegant Italian cancellaresca testeggiata had given way to something plainer and more practical. Two varieties of a new "copperplate" style became common: "round hand," the bolder of the two, was considered appropriate for business use, and "Italian," a lighter and narrower form, was considered the ladies' hand.

Such was the success of copperplate that by the end of the 18th century it had been adopted in France (where it has coexisted with ronde), Spain, and Italy. In these countries it was known as the "English hand". John Seally's manual of about 1770, The Running Hand, recommends a sloping Italian with loops (not in regular use before), in which all the letters are linked. The running influenced English handwriting in the last years of the 18th century, and loops and links have been the general rule ever since.

Until the middle of the 18th century, the American colonies relied on handwriting models from England. The colonists wrote secretary, humanist, or mixed hands which were indistinguishable from those of their contemporaries at home

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Excellent... wonderful refourcef...

Interefting note, more of a perfonal nature...

I have in my pofeffion feveral American Civil War Documentf belonging to a relative of mine. The handwriting lookf almoft identical to fome of the fancier writing in the information John linked to.

If I dare, I may take fome picturef of the documentf...

And no my 's' key ain't broke.... you'll understand if you pull up the links listed above...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Dang... I knew someone could help.... bookmarked those so I can take my time tonight and go throught them.....

I spent most of this week searching the internet.... and most of what I could find were companys selling fonts...... (well I did find how to write Spencurian....)

Thanks... that was exactly what I was looking for........

Thanks. I found an even better site right after posting that.

http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/ceres/ehoc/index.html

Ah, the medial s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

Awesome site. I bookmarked it as well. I also printed out two pages of the writing styles listed, and they came out perfect, so I can keep them handy when I practice.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog