Lost at Sea

Red Cat Jenny

I came across this video

lost.jpg

Nova: Lost at Sea the Search for Longitude (1998)

Navigation in the 1700s was both unpredictable and deadly, until one man solved the mystery. Richard Dreyfuss narrates the riveting story of a humble, ingenious country carpenter named John Harrison who discovered that the secret to navigation lay not just in the stars, but in the mastering of time. Climb aboard an authentic tall ship and go back in time to see history, and the quest for longitude, unfold.

Buy it at Amazon around $18- :PRed Cat

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Great program! It pops up on PBS every few years. You should also track down "Longitude" both the book by Dava Sobel, and the movie based in large part on Sobel's book. The book is a terrific read, and the book is a sort of novelized version of the book. Michael Gambon, who plays Prof. Dumbledore in the 2 most recent Harry Potter movies, plays John Harrison. And Jeremy Irons plays a 20th century man who devotes his life to restoring Harrison's instruments for the Royal Naval Observatory in Greenich, England. Lots of stuff available online about John Harrison and Longitude. The National Maritime Museum is a good place to start.