Information

FannyP

Okey so I'm writing on a pirate novel. And I'm looking for some informaiton about Port Royal, Jamaica. Does anyone know a good site or two? serching the net can be frustrating.

Cindy Valler, Pirate Havens

Wikipedia, Port_Royal

1620 Earthquake, Port Royal

Hope these help but really there are too many to list...try a good search engine.

Good Luck with the novel.

Live Long and Plunder Well!

Joe

If it's a pirate novel, then it would be post earthquake - the 1692 earthquake was a fairly defining moment for Port Royal. Prior to then the island was the center of privateer and buccaneer operations. Afterwards, if obviously was never the same. Pirates were still around (Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, Mary Read, et. al) but the city was nothing like it was in its prime. The growing presence of the Navy there after the quake helped quell piracy, along with the turn of favor of the ruling governors.

As for resources:

Port Royal, Jamaica - by Michael Pawson and David Buissert is superb, covering the economic factors, trade, populace, ruling government and lay of the land.

Port Royal by Clinton Black is also excellent. Robert Marx has a solid work on the archeological aspects of the city - with some great photos of artifacts.

Nothing beats a visit there, though. Even though Port Royal today is just a small fishing village of 1200 (far from the 5000 who inhabited the spit in the time of Sir Henry Morgan during its prime), there is still enough there to really get a sense of the place. Period maps help you trace the steps of the old pirates and buccaneers. Many of the streets are still there, Fort Charles is still where it has stuff for 350+ years and taking a walk in the dark at night is very "spirit" filled. Even the jail that held Anne Bonny is still there. The half barrel hinged doors are leaning against a wall in the place, which is no, ironically, a locals bar.

Visit http://piratesofthecoast.com/shipslog/pr-s...scrapbook1.html for a little tutorial our crewe put together on the past and present.

Let me know if you any other questions or need direction.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com