Who sez the Olde Ways aren't effective?

Story

Bahamas orders man lashed with cat-o'-nine-tails

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:56 AM ET

By John Marquis

NASSAU, Bahamas, Oct 10 (Reuters Life!) - A man convicted of trying to rape an 83-year-old woman was sentenced to eight lashes with a cat-o'-nine-tails, a punishment used by the British Navy in the 18th century and reinstated in the Bahamas 15 years ago.

Altulus Newbold, 34, was sentenced on Friday to 16 years in prison after being found guilty of burglary, attempted rape and causing harm. Justice Jon Isaacs ordered that he receive four lashes of the whip at the start of his sentence and four upon his release, but suspended the punishment for three weeks pending a possible appeal.

The cat, a whip made of knotted cords, leaves flesh wounds and is used on the offender's back by a prison guard. It was outlawed in the Bahamas many years ago, but reinstated in the former British colony in 1991 in the face of rising crime.

Attorney General Allyson Maynard-Gibson supported the use of the cat and said it was retained only for the most "egregious" cases.

"I think the public is pleased to see the determination of our courts to see punishment meted out swiftly," she said.

Newbold was accused of breaking into a woman's home on Cat Island in July 2004 and trying to have sexual intercourse with her. The woman told the court that she grabbed Newbold's genitals and "mashed" them. He bit her to make her let go and then fled the scene.

Newbold apologized after the verdicts were handed down.

A spokesman for the attorney general's office said the cat was last used in 2000 on a child rapist. That was the first time it had been used since 1994.

Former Assistant Police Commissioner Paul Thompson said the cat was always considered an effective form of punishment.

"A long-serving prison governor told me that prisoners who received the cat never returned to prison. He considered it the ultimate deterrent," Thompson said.

Dances for nickels.

Personally, I've been making a case for the reinstatement of dueling as a way of settling disputes, but haven't managed to convince much of anyone.

I mean, c'mon, smoothbore, singleshot pistols or swords...? With modern medical science, hardly anyone would even die... :D

Yes but just think of what would happen to the cost of medical insurance!! :D:D

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:D:D:D:D:D:D

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

If you're going to punish someone for crime, it should be a punishment. The prison up here has cable tv, a swimming pool, and tennis courts, warm beds and 3 good meals a day. The average citizen does not have all that. Why should prisoners?! Bring back the cat-o'-nine-tails!

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

If you're going to punish someone for crime, it should be a punishment.  The prison up here has cable tv, a swimming pool, and tennis courts, warm beds and 3 good meals a day.  The average citizen does not have all that.  Why should prisoners?!  Bring back the cat-o'-nine-tails!

I totaly agree. Here in sweden the prisoners get better food than kids in school. B)

If you're going to punish someone for crime, it should be a punishment.  The prison up here has cable tv, a swimming pool, and tennis courts, warm beds and 3 good meals a day.  The average citizen does not have all that.  Why should prisoners?!  Bring back the cat-o'-nine-tails!

None of that kinda stuff in Texas county jails, at least.

Er, so I hear. Um, I mean, read in a book. Yeah, that's it...

sig2.jpg

Aye Texas is rough..But state prison is way too cushy. We pay for the inmates to have AC and heat and food and amenties and even rehab and yet we have horrid health insurance. The people who really need it suffer.

I agree bring back the olden days of justice. A hanging at high noon could well be a good thing. B)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Good points all, Siren. The only think I don't think I would begrudge as part of the prison system would be the rehab programs. There seems to be quite a bit of strong evidence out there that rehab programs reduce recidivism -- get off hard drugs, commit fewer crimes to buy drugs and/or fewer crimes commited while under the influence of them.

That one, at least, seems a good investment, with the returns (less cost in dealing with future criminal activities) outweighing the cost (the rehab programs themselves).

Of course, hanging is cheaper than either. And you don't have to worry about recidivism. It may bring up a whole new crop o' problems, but so would my dueling scheme, so what ya gonna do...? :rolleyes:

sig2.jpg