Trivia Challenge

Vanderdecken

Who knows their buccaneer and pirate history?

Here's the question:

This man blamed a famous buccaneer for the death of his brother. Seeking revenge, he attacked the buccaneers' haven filibuster style—taking no quarter. Unfortunately (well, fortunately for our buccaneer!), the assassination attempt failed. Accounts vary but one says he was captured and put to death with two of his lieutenants by being "torn alive on the rack." The rest of his men were hanged. Who was this revenge seeking madman?

—Vanderdecken

No it wasn't Francois l’Olonnais, but that's a good try.

Here's a couple of hints: The famous buccaneer he was after was knighted by Louis XIV and reportedly took part in an expedition that founded a French colony that the US later purchased.

The revenge seeking madman that blamed the buccaneer for killing his brother was a Cuban corsair. Who was he?

—Vanderdecken

No it wasn't Francois l’Olonnais, but that's a good try.

Here's a couple of hints: The famous buccaneer he was after was knighted by Louis XIV and reportedly took part in an expedition that founded a French colony that the US later purchased.

The revenge seeking madman that blamed the buccaneer for killing his brother was a Cuban corsair. Who was he?

—Vanderdecken

Let's see, is Réné Duguay-Trouin the chap that was presented to Louis?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:lol::lol: Hmm I would say La Salle would be the knighted Frenchman who claimed a large portion of the US for France. Liotal was his surgeon who was enraged by La Salle sending his brother out on many occassions into danger and one of which ended his brothers life at the hands of Indians.

Liotal and four others killed La Salle and later turned upon each other and their bodies were left unburied and later found.

Am I at least close????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Close as a barnacle on a bowsprit! Sounds similar but not quite the man.

Here's the original question:

This man blamed a famous buccaneer for the death of his brother. Seeking revenge, he attacked the buccaneers' haven filibuster style—taking no quarter. Unfortunately (well, fortunately for our buccaneer!), the assassination attempt failed. Accounts vary but one says he was captured and put to death with two of his lieutenants by being "torn alive on the rack." The rest of his men were hanged. Who was this revenge seeking madman?

Here are the hints again, I'll answer one and add another:

1. The famous buccaneer he was after was Dutch-born and his haven was a major base for buccaneers that developed after Tortuga.

2. The haven was located south of Tortuga.

3. The famous buccaneer was also knighted by Louis XIV and reportedly took part in an expedition that founded a French colony that the US later purchased. (the Louisiana Territory)

4. The revenge seeking madman that blamed the buccaneer for killing his brother was a Cuban corsair.

—Vanderdecken

Pierre and Jean Baptiste Le Moyne have anything to do with it... as they were part of the original expedition in the Lousianna territory??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

OK, I know Jan Janszoon van Hoorn had a quarell with de Graff, but I don't really know the cause. Also, I was under the impression that Van Hoorn died of an infected wound from the fight.

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Apparently Van Hoorn Attacked two empty Spanish galleons that De Graff had his eye upon in the Gulf of Honduras. De Graff knowing they were empty decided to await them being filled and sailed to Bonaco Isle to Careen his ship.

Meanwhile Van Hoorn unaware of De Graff's plan attacked two empty spanish Galleons ruining De Graffs intrest in them. Wen Van Hoorn met up with De Graff on Bonaco and requested to join De Graff he was turned away rather bluntly.

However it is said that both men did meet up again later on a raid on Vera cruz where an argument broke out between them on how to treat their prisoners. De Graff suffered a slash on the wrist which later he died from.

It was also said that De Graff was believed to be a Mulatto and was charecterized by Henry Morgan to be a great and mischiveous Pirate and was very handsome being tall and blonde with a mustache. He also had a spanish wife and later married a frenchwoman. Im assuming he had both of these wives at the same time as I do not see anything of the first wifes demise.

Thomas Paine on the other hand could not have been the one as he died at the age of 72 desired by the publinc but abandoned by his friends due to some of his religious beliefs and his writings.

Coastie Good sleuthing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

You're on course with favorable winds! Van Hoorn and de Graff did have a spat. But van Hoorn was not the cuban corsair we're looking for that attacked de Graff's haven seeking revenge for his brother's death.

Keep digging, you've almost found the treasure...

—Vanderdecken

Huzzah! I do believe I have found the answer. The revenge seeker was Blas Miguel, who stormed the beach on St. Lawrence's Day in hopes to find de Graffe in celebration. However, when they attacked, the French led by de Graffe met them at the water's edge. Blas Miguel was "broken alive on the wheel" as punnishment for the attack, which happened during a truce with the French.

Then again, I could be wrong on this, but he sure fits the bill fairly well based on what I found.

Coastie B)

You are correct my good Captain!

Blas de Miguel was the man we were seeking. He blamed de Graff for the death of his brother who was abandoned and killed during an encounter with Fermin de Salaverri.

That was fun! Anyone care to go again?

—Vanderdecken

By all means...

Crewe of the Archangel

I'd love to. I'll be gone for most of the next month, so if there is another one in that time, I probably won't be doing much research. I'll pick up the threads when I get back. However, this was one great way to learn about a pirate that I never knew existed. Heck, it's inspired me to do even more research into de Graffe's career. Quite exciting, really. Definitely a great idea. One suggestion, though. At the end, when someone finds the answer, a little summary of the career/incident of the pirate and a couple of sources. I'll try to write one up before I get underway, but sorry if I don't get to it.

Coastie :lol:

Good deal my fellow sea lovers! I will try to post another tomorrow.

The source for my question concerning Blas de Miguel and Laurens de Graff was:

Apestegui, Cruz. Pirates of the Caribbean. Edison: Chartwell, 2002.

Here's some more info about de Graff:

Laurens de Graff was one of the most fearsome buccaneers in the New World. Born in Holland, he was captured by the Spanish and shipped as a slave to the Canary Islands. From there, he was put aboard a Spanish galley fighting pirates along the Spanish Main. De Graff escaped from the Spanish and joined the Brethren of the Coast, eventually becoming one of their greatest leaders. His first recorded action was with de Grammont during his assault on Maracaibo in 1678. He took part in and led many expeditions against the Spanish including Vera Cruz in 1683 and Campeche in 1685. He was knighted by Louis XIV and appointed deputy of the colony of Santa Dominica. In 1699 he was with the French expedition that founded the colony of Louisiana. De Graff lived in Biloxi, Mississippi before his death in 1704.

You can find this info plus a whole lot more on my website. Simply go to the education link. Cheers!

—Vanderdecken