would pirates....

captain cutlass

No., not in reality. GAoP is to new for the tastes of SCA enthusiasts.,its a differant time period..,pirates would not have been with Kings and Queen.., of course Kings and Queens would not have been with fabled dragons.

Yes in 2006 and yes in fantasy...., ie Dragons and such. If they allow Dragons......., that pretty much opens the door to Fantasy.,at least here in Washington at our Renn Faire. People have come dressed as foliage ? Cats .,ect.,ext., all kinds of things......., there are pirates attending. Our local event is SCA., and they tolerate this for the extra revenue it brings in., its a topic thats been gone over a few times.

The best thing to do is check with your local event.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I've seen Klingons, starship crews and Jedi. :)

If I pay to get in... So long as I behave me self, don't get naked, goose the queen and or shock the crowd by saluting with me mainmast... I figure they'll be happy to count my money at the gate. :(

Not to mention, I'm a good tipper for me drinks! (Ding Ding Huzzah!) :(

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

If I pay to get in... So long as I behave me self, don't get naked, goose the queen and or shock the crowd by saluting with me lance... I figure they'll be happy to count my money at the gate. 

I feel the same way..., Well said.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I'm curious--you're in a SCA group that does Renaissance Faires? I've been in SCA for 3 years now, and we've never done a Ren Faire, because it's out of period--we only go up to about 1500. Maybe it's just the difference between West Coast SCA and Midwest SCA. We are a bit strange out here in the sticks! :lol:

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

I'm curious--you're in a SCA group that does Renaissance Faires?  I've been in SCA for 3 years now, and we've never done a Ren Faire, because it's out of period--we only go up to about 1500.  Maybe it's just the difference between West Coast SCA and Midwest SCA.  We are a bit strange out here in the sticks! :lol:

I've always found the SCA name to be quite ironic:

"Society for Creative Anachronisms"

...when most of the participants are pretty dogmatic about being "in period" and "authentic".

When googling some medieval vegetarian food ideas for my Robin Hood group (Robin Hood enthusiasts who don't eat venison -- go figure!), I discovered a SCA page that discussed how controversial artichokes are -- ARTICHOKES for Goddess sakes!

Anyhow, I served artichokes to my Robin Hood band, as a form of subversive misrule (plus, they're green, so they adhere to the colour scheme).

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

The SCA started in our neighborhood then the ranch owners that have the property its held at wanted to expand it., now it ., "Fantasy Faire" ., the King and Queen show along with the Seattle Knights.,and everyone else shows too., It gets bigger each year., yea its a good idea to see whats expected at your local event., ours is kind of a do as you please now...., so we do. Pirates tried to take Noahs Ark lets not forget that., They laughed when he built his boat., then when the water got high., they all tried to take it over. Pirates have been around since the first time someone built something that floated...., someone tried to take it.

We dont have a many "Pirate Events" here so we go where ever we can., whenever we can....., which is not enough..., 6thats kinda why we are working toward doing our own thing.

Oh, I'm not saying we don't get pirates in SCA, we certainly do; because pirates are pretty much timeless. But we've never done Ren Faires, because historically speaking the Middle Ages and the Renaissance weren't the same time. I'm not trying to criticize, I was just curious what other groups do or definitely don't do. The thing I've always liked about SCA is that it's lenient, which is great for students, or families, because it's less expensive that way, and doesn't take as much time. We have people wandering around in period-perfect garb, and others in jeans and a tunic. Most of us, including myself, enjoy going to Ren Faires, we just don't hold them ourselves, in general.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

Now don't quote me, but I think the time-line for the SCA is 1066, "last of the viking raids in England" to 1500. The GAOP started around 1700 give or take 30 years. For the purist, the two shouldn't mix, being of two distinctly different time periods. But, the SCA had always been of the mind set that " this is the way it should have been".

I've seen Scotsmen wearing family tartans and carrying Katanas at SCA events, why not GAOP pirates?

But to answer the question, Kings and Queens probably wouldn't associate with pirates but Governors and representatives of the crown may have very well done so. Let the Governor get his hands dirty and keep the throne pristine.

Finally decided I should look it up! Taken directly from sca.org:

"The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. "

I was wrong, it does include Renaissance, and evidently it's anything pre-17th century. I've a friend who wears Roman garb, and other's who push the "pre-17th" limit. It's pretty broad.

I'm stretching this a little, but the Golden Age started aroung 1630-50 by most accounts. Now granted, there shouldn't be any Jack Sparrows running around a Ren faire, but a Sir Francis Drake wouldn't be out of place. I must say that seeing the queen at the Ojai pirate faire seemed odd to me. Not just the time frame (almost everyone was dressed in the 1700-1730 time period), but she was consorting with known pyrates. I don't believe there was a letter of marque in the bunch.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Not to quibble about the overlap between the middle ages and the Renaissance, but remember that the Renaissance started in Italy, not England, and it started around the middle of the 15th century. Not to belittle the English, but it took them a little while to catch up. The movment had to filter through Spain, Germany and France before the English really got into the intellectual swing of things.

Regardless, there were pirates at every stage of history, as has been pointed out... so the only question is simply a matter of presentation. Hobnobbing with Royalty? Probably not... but certainly with powerful people all the same... piracy was an accepted profession for many, many many years. It was called something else and sanctioned, but it was piracy all the same. Hinder your competitions ability to trade and yours goes up, plain and simple.

So, though maybe not sitting down for tea with Queen Elizabeth or anything, but pirates certainly could be found in company with other members a smaller country court, especially one near the sea.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

a forum member posted the original map in another thread, and another member modified it.....

I have further modified it, to better reflect my Ren-Faire experiences:

renfairemap.jpg

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Goddess grace, Patrick! What IS that on your head?

That's a hand knitted and felted, thrum cap :lol:

Usually everyone ask me if I'm having a bad hair day.....

Because very few people know what Elizabeathean Sailors looked like, I usualy just wear my Pyrate garb, then tell anyone that asks......

"I'm not a Pyrate, I'm an honest merchant.... an importer of belly dancers and turkey legs......" :lol:

and guys with giant tribbles on their heads.

Dang.... never thought to call it a dead tribble....

Would nave been funnier if I could remember what the Klingon word for tribble was.... yech or something kinda like that..... Hey... it's been over 10 years sence I was a Klingon.......