The Games Pyrates Play...

Cheeky Actress

Does any one have any reference to what ‘games of chance’ or games that would ‘pass the time’ during the GAofP? I have heard the loo, goose and wisk (sp?) were popular games of the time-period, but did pyrates play cards or did they limit themselves to dice (bones)?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I'd have to dig out references but whist goes back into the 17thC I believe, plus games like faro and cribbage. Dammit, I haven't unpacked my copy of Hoyle since the move...

Don't forget board games like backgammon, chess, draughts, and nine-mens-morris.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Also "Noddy", "Bone-Ace", and "Picket" were popular.

If you examine the ship's articles of some pyrate vessels, they specifically forbid "gaming at cards or dice."

Really?! Wow...interesting. Well, some Pryate Captains were God fearing Men at that...this would explain their ideas against gambling...

Thanks Mad Jack :lol:

Member of "The Forsaken"

I'd have to dig out references but whist goes back into the 17thC I believe, plus games like faro and cribbage. Dammit, I haven't unpacked my copy of Hoyle since the move...

Don't forget board games like backgammon, chess, draughts, and nine-mens-morris.

Faro?! Really?!

Ed, is this game Irish in origin?

I portray American Wild West and Faro is a game that I have played before. Do you think the rules have changed much?

Member of "The Forsaken"

I don't know the origins of Faro I'm afraid. The version we paly is from an early edition of Hoyle I think (but I could be wrong).

You have a board with a square for each card and the gamblers place coins on the square(s) they hope will win. The dealer then turns a deck of cards over into two piles, a winning pile and a losing pile. gamblers who bet on the winning cards get double their money back, the dealer keeps the money from the losing cards. To give the dealer a slight edge the first card in the winning pile is also a loser, thus there are 25 winning cards and 27 losing cards.

Dead simple.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Mainly, it reduced the chances for arguments and fights among the crew. :)

Aye, I totally agree with Mad Jack here!... I would think no gambling or drunkeness is to keep the men from getting into trouble by arguing or fighting amongst themselves... not because the Captains had a conscience ... Just reading Bart Roberts' articles and his history in no way shows the man to be God fearing....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Does anyone know how old the game koobs/kubbs is, or how late it would have been played?

From Justin's game site (linked above) - "Kubb: A fun Swedish game in the throwing-things-at-things genre. Note: While I have seen it asserted that this game probably goes back to period, I've seen no evidence of that. "

As far as how late it was played, it is still played (there is a link there for the british kubb federation) so I assume it was kept alive in one form or another through it's history (which may have extended through the GAoP)

Ropework_Header.jpg