The correct hemp??

Rats

This might be a no brainer for some.. Hell man I doctor not a mariner!

But what is the correct rope that would be found on ships?

Such as the big coils always seen or the ropes used for grappling hooks and such???

Yes I'm looking to invest for props and such, so I'm looking for good stuff that won't cost more than my entire kit!

Thanks again and here's to ya!

:ph34r:

Rats!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Rats... I like your line of questioning. Its a breath of fresh air to my tired ol' sails....

Anywhoo...

I would imagine that there were various sizes of diameter of hemp rope on a sailing ship depending on its intended use.

Those like Foxe, Royaliste, and others that have actually spent lots of time on a sailing ship might have a better idea.

But, Hemp is different than anything else, IMHO. Sissal is nothing like it...

I have some 10mm Hemp line, that I was going to put in the Signature Graphic contest when it is ressurected....

How much do you need???

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Morning Greg!

And thanks! I hate to befuddle ofcoarse, It's just I hate to spend$$$ and have it not be or look right.

It's my goal to have a few good size coils tied and kept for props. (folks can sit in them for all I care) but it would be good propage. Let's face it, ropes were part of the business

I'd also like a few yards for grappling hooks. I was thinking that maybe a fun demo would be to toss a small float or raft in water (or land)and for crewe to try to snagging it with the grapples. Kind of pirate horse shoes??

I'm also planning some promo shots and let's face it, the more props the better!!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I've seen hemp rope as wide as 1" avalible from Hemp Basics The price for a 50 ft coil isn't to bad either.

Pirate horseshoes sounds fun.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

You might try contacting some of the volunteer sailing groups in Your area.

The closest one to me be LAMI (Los Angeles Maritime Institute) They built two new ships for thier program a few years back,

The Irving and Exy Johnson.

They built them from their purple heart keels up. I imagine they could point you in the proper direction to find what you seek.

Just My two dabloons

Sincerely

Black Heart Marc

Principally you want to be looking for hemp. The trouble with hemp is that it's darn hard to get hemp much more than 12mm, and it's pricey when you can. A complete coil of any natural fibre rope is going set you back some. I was once fortunate to pick up a coil of manilla for a very reasonable price and you can sometimes find sisal quite sheap, but sisal is hardly worth the effort, it's vile.

With regards to smaller quantities of hemp I've not seen anything cheaper than the link posted.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk