Muskets and boomsticks!!!

Rats

cannonflarelarge.JPG

McBanacle...um... I think you might want to tell the guy in the red coat to plug the other ear...Its the one pointed at the cannon that gets filled with loudness.

Unless he's already deaf in that one.

Nice arsenal by the way. I'm jealous.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Flint

Where can I get one?

Loyalist Arms & Repairs

or

Military Heritage

or

Middlesex Village Trading Company

Middlesex is located in the U.S. and there fore already has the vent hole drilled for you., and comes ready to shoot.,the others you may have to drill the vent which is a simple task really.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

McBanacle...um... I think you might want to tell the guy in the red coat to plug the other ear...Its the one pointed at the cannon that gets filled with loudness.

He's not keeping the loudness out, he's using his finger to keep his brains in.

Dances for nickels.

Alright here we go!

1st will be a pistol: Dragoon or Queen Anne (probably the Anne because it's perfect for our time and it's easy to handle). But its also hard to get the dragoon out of my head as the typical look for a pistol.

2nd I'll be calling for the Dogbus just cuz of the ease of transport, handling and loading.

3rd The doglock musket

Maybe I'll just get the dogbus 1st and forget the pistol!!! :lol:

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

mmmm I dunno.,a Queen Anne is a tasty choice.,I wouldnt be without mine.,the dragoon is great but after ya get ta lookin at that Cannon shaped barrel on the Queen Anne it seems to become one of the favorites. Choose wisely...., then again.,later you can always choose more :lol:

QueenAnne001.jpg

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

John Flint
Where can I get one?

Loyalist Arms & Repairs

or

Military Heritage

or

Middlesex Village Trading Company

Middlesex is located in the U.S. and there fore already has the vent hole drilled for you., and comes ready to shoot.,the others you may have to drill the vent which is a simple task really.

Loyalist Arms has at least one US dealer, maybe more. My blunderbuss came straight from NY to me in just a few days, vent drilled and ready to roll.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I didn't know Loyalist has a US dealer!

New York you say?

Good to know!

Who would you fellows look to for your Queen Anne if one was to buy one?

Dixie? They have great customer service?

Cherry's

Thunder Ridge?

Take care

Rats!

sig2.jpg

Good to know Loyalist has a US dealer too., I had to be extreme careful with that brass buss to get the breach out and drill., its always better to have it come ready to shoot., thats for sure!., Anything you buy from MH your going to have to drill.

That Ships carbine that we just recieved was Middlesex and it also was ready to go folks .., no drilling needed.

Yup its Annie in the Brass. I havent had a good experience with Cherrys., perhaps others have....,Dixie has been very prompt every time for me. :D Most Queen Annes will be Pedrosoli..., whom ever you order it from . The Pedrosoli is probably the best quality any of my flinters. Their machine work and parts interchangability is 2nd to none.

Good to know Loyalist has a US dealer too., I had to be extreme careful with that brass buss to get the breach out and drill., its always better to have it come ready to shoot., thats for sure!., Anything you buy from MH your going to have to drill.

That Ships carbine that we just recieved was Middlesex and it also was ready to go folks .., no drilling needed.

Yup its Annie in the Brass. I havent had a good experience with Cherrys., perhaps others have....,Dixie has been very prompt every time for me. :ph34r: Most Queen Annes will be Pedrosoli..., whom ever you order it from . The Pedrosoli is probably the best quality any of my flinters. Their machine work and parts interchangability is 2nd to none.

Yeah, and as I recall the process was seamless. I ordered from them, but it came from him. Whatever it was, it worked very well.

I have to agree about Pedersoli... my bess and my QA are both Pedersoli's, and they are very nice to handle. My Loyalist blunderbuss is much more crude, yet somehow very piratical to the touch.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Yes., its a good pistol. We have the 12" and the 9" barrel., and they are shooters.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm actually looking to see if they would swap a doglock onto a dragoon or early sea service..

Yeah it would be sort of a mutt. But with the correct lock, she should work...

Shouldn't it??

Rats!

sig2.jpg

I am confused why you want a doglock on a sea service? Actually the notion that a flintlock didnt exist in the GAoP is false., The British Military discontinued purchase and arming of the Doglock in 1715 which means development.,and perfecting of the flinter came prior to a discontinue. The Flintlock did exist., its common knowledge. Much like the flintlock existed for cannons for several years but the Admiralty just didnt trust it till right before the cap. Slowmatch stayed as a mian way to fire a cannon almost until the percussion cap. If you think about it., thats a longtime.,and it proves the powers that be were stubborn B)

• 2 months later...

I've been doing som reading through the archives on Muskets (so many threads, I figured this thread was the most recent...)

Anyway, I found a great many links to many muskets and pistols, but I have not seen any info posted anout the musket from the following link (I gave up looking before reading all the threads I admit)...

Link to Dog-Lock musket

Would this be a good choice for a starter musket? I've fired before (not very often), but never owned a musket (or any other firearm).

Secondly, how difficult is it to find someone to drill the "vents" on this musket? Would the cost of hiring someone (a gunsmith I presume) to do this make a huge impact on the overall cost of the musket and hence be something I take seriously into consideration when buying a musket.

I've seen "check the muzzle-loader forum" a lot, I will do that if need be, but I would prefer to avoid having to join yet another forum... :P

Any help or advice would be gretaly appreciated.

In case "what type of pirate impersonation" is a factor, as generic as possible, and mid to late period is fine, although early GAoP period does peak my interest as well, just trying to handle one goal at a time...

Michael_banner.jpg

I've seen "check the muzzle-loader forum" a lot, I will do that if need be, but I would prefer to avoid having to join yet another forum...

It's free... and they post all the info you'd ever want about blackpowder guns....

Drilling the touch hole wouldn't be difficult, IF you know exactly what you are doing.... (once again... "check the muzzle-loader forum")

I have the Loyalist Arms Doglock, I figured it would work for both my Buccaneer and Pyrate stuff.... If I was only Pyrate, I'd cut down the barrel, and paint everything black.... barrel and all... looks wierd, but was period...

The wood used for the stock isn't the best in the world... but you get what you pay for. I'm still fiddling with the frizzin spring (it's still way to stiff) and want to change the flat butt plate and use a fowler's butt plate.... also going to sand it all down, and make it a little finer, then stain it and re-finish it (with a bees wax and linseed oil mix). There isn't anything really wrong with the finish as it comes.... I just want to modify mine so it dosen't look like everyone elses..... I also want to slightly dull down all the metal parts.... they are just too shiney...

drilling the touch hole is fairly easy with a good/new tungsten carbide drill bit

i usually use a dremel tool first to give me a pilot mark to set by drill to then take my time and keep the pressure steady and fairly light as not overheat the bit and have it snap ..... the doglock is a nice weapon either in the musket or blunderbuss

shameless self promotion .....i can give you a better price than loyalist on either w/ garanteed service to boot

shameless self promotion .....i can give you a better price than loyalist on either w/ garanteed service to boot

Thanks for he advice both Patrick and Calennish,

Patrick, the reason I'm reluctant to sign onto another board has more to do with my mild obsessive-compulsive nature... I'm already on more message boards than I care to count, and while most of them I am on only to look up occassional info, I let myself get sucked into checking most of them pretty regularily... :blink: I know it sounds goofy, but it is just my neurosis and a probably futile attempt of self control... :blink:

Callenish, you've piqued my interest... Do you care to get a little more shameless self promotion by discussing this here? Or would you prefer to take this conversation to private message/email? I would be pretty interested in a Doglock Musket (not so keen on the Blunderbuss)....

Michael_banner.jpg

mild obsessive-compulsive nature.

Yah..... me to...

I'm in three Pyrate Forums, The Muzzle-loader Forum, a Fountain Pen Forum, and a Serinity Forum..... It takes about an hour just to read the post I'm interested in, and can take all evening if I start responding to some of the topics....

At least if keep me off the streets at night...... :lol: