Blackbeard On TV

W.B.Kurgan

I don't know if this has been posted before, but for those in the UK with access to Cable or Satalite TV there is a new Pirate show on this Sunday night!

I just saw a trailer for it and although it looks a bit cheesey it could be quite good fun!

From the Sky One website

Blackbeard

Next showing: 2006-09-03 at 21:00 - 22:50

Angus MacFadyen stars in the first in a new two-part dramatised account of the life of the legendary pirate from his origins to the end of his reign of terror on the high seas

Next showing: 2006-09-10 at 21:00 - 22:50

Part two of two. Maynard sets out to put an end to Blackbeard's tyranny. When the pirate kidnaps the lieutenant's sweetheart, however, an emotional angle is added to their feud

:blink:

Yo Ho!

Why must they add Maynard's sweetheart into the mix?

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the Two part Blackbeard Drama with mild disbelief, whilst I know that one shouldn't expect too much authenticity in what is basically an excuse for a romp, I felt that they could at least have made an effort.

Within the first few minutes of this production, there was the inevitable walking the plank scene, however the pirates then promptly shot the drowning man, which seems to somewhat defeat the object.

For a "Bristol born man", Blacbeard had a very strong Scottish Accent, They also went into a lot of detail about William Kidd's execution "At Newgate"!!

Also, why on earth would Kidd tattoo a clue to his hidden treasure on the back of the local barmaid??

During the first half of the first episode, so much time was dedicated to introducing Maynard’s love interest, and the sub plot of the evil governors scheme to rob her of her inheritance, that Blackbeard became something of a supporting character.

Also, the arms budget was obviously very limited. Apart from the scenes of Piracy aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge, where they obviously needed a fair number of pistols, The total supply of short arms was reduced to a Kentucky Pistol, and a Napoleonic French pistol, which not only replaced the three brace of pistols reputedly carried by Teach, but doubled for every other pistol used by the cast in these scenes.

Whilst I wasn't expecting an authentic Historical Drama, I did think that the production would at lest make some attempt to get the basic details right, or at the very least to come up with a plot that made some sense, and showed imagination and originality, instead of offering a procession of pirate Clichés.

In the past, Hallmark have produced some first rate Costume/Historical fantasy Dramas, so I had high hopes for this show. Sadly, I was disappointed.

"Tall Paul" Adams.

:( Ahoy Mates I Watched The BBC Blackbeard Drama Documentry About The Same Time As Sky 1s Showing In UK Far Far Better! :(

The Documentry has been discussed extensivly elswere in this forum, I downloaded the US version some time ago. The UK version appears to be a slightly different edit, complete with a new commentery.

Gone is the claim to be the most accurate and authenic account of blackbeard ever told. Wilst it is still not without mistakes, some off the worst errors have now been glossed over.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but for those in the UK with access to Cable or Satalite TV there is a new Pirate show on this Sunday night!

I just saw a trailer for it and although it looks a bit cheesey it could be quite good fun!

From the Sky One website

Blackbeard

Next showing: 2006-09-03 at 21:00 - 22:50

Angus MacFadyen stars in the first in a new two-part dramatised account of the life of the legendary pirate from his origins to the end of his reign of terror on the high seas

Next showing: 2006-09-10 at 21:00 - 22:50

Part two of two. Maynard sets out to put an end to Blackbeard's tyranny. When the pirate kidnaps the lieutenant's sweetheart, however, an emotional angle is added to their feud

:D

;) So embarassed! I'm sorry I ever drew your attention to this rubbish!

This show was so awful I couldn't bring myself to watch the second part.

;)

Sorry, me harties! ;)

Yo Ho!