Fort Camping Facilities

bunkertor

I was wondering what facilities were provided and what should we bring?

Are there shower facilities? potable water? rest rooms or portapoties?

I saw that we will have a firepit, so w can cook over that?

What about water and ice? Is there a place nearby or in the fort?

Can we bring our own alcohol?

:lol:

piratebanner.jpg

I was wondering what facilities were provided and what should we bring?

Are there shower facilities? potable water? rest rooms or portapoties?

I saw that we will have a firepit, so w can cook over that?

What about water and ice?  Is there a place nearby or in the fort?

Can we bring our own alcohol?

:lol:

Firewood is provided along with a few designated fire pits. We are incouraged to cook over them if we wish.

Callenish Gunner is bringing a shower, but their are cold water showers on the beach as well.

Potable water is available inside the fort and at the campsites and restrooms.

There are public restrooms within the park, but just outside of the fort. A very short walk.

I do not believe there is a place for ice anywhere near the fort, but I will find out. They may have a place to keep ice.

Yes, alcohol is permitted after park hours.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Yes, alcohol is permitted after park hours.

Sounds like a great time. Our crewe will be in town at Captain Tony's and the usual spots. Stop by and see us there. We're not the sit around the fort and sing songs together types, but we hope to see you out and about.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Sorry Patrick, didn't mean to raise an ire here.

Just not a fan of the fort location. I think it's the reason why the festival is losing its luster. It's just being tucked away in one of the most out of the way locales in Key West. Might as well move it to Fort Jefferson for that matter. It has about as much to do with pirates as Fort Taylor.

Most the merchants that sold there in 2004 didn't even break even. That wasn't a problem at the seaport which drew more tourists with money. Of course, it didn't help that last year's Vendor Director ran off with $1500 in vendor fees that could have helped with promotions this year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Sorry Patrick, didn't mean to raise an ire here.

Just not a fan of the fort location. I think it's the reason why the festival is losing its luster. It's just being tucked away in one of the most out of the way locales in Key West. Might as well move it to Fort Jefferson for that matter. It has about as much to do with pirates as Fort Taylor.

Most the merchants that sold there in 2004 didn't even break even. That wasn't a problem at the seaport which drew more tourists with money. Of course, it didn't help that last year's Vendor Director ran off with $1500 in vendor fees that could have helped with promotions this year.

-- Hurricane

"...the festival is losing its luster."

Pardon me for saying so, but this phraseology could be seen by some as counter productive.

I think a lot of people who have been with it far longer than I would agree. It is not counter productive to voice one's opinion based on experience and history - I've been intimately involved with the event for five years now on the planning side, so I believe I am qualified to offer some perspective on the event.

For those who have limited budgets and vacation time, I think it is valid to portray things as they are so they can make informed decisions.

If I could make only one or two festivals a year, PiP wouldn't make my top three. I would have to place others above it, including Ojai. For Florida, it would be Clearwater, followed by Ft. Myers.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I think a lot of people who have been with it far longer than I would agree. It is not counter productive to voice one's opinion based on experience and history - I've been intimately involved with the event for five years now on the planning side, so I believe I am qualified to offer some perspective on the event.

I'll stand with ye on this, Shipmate. I wish the event well, and appreciate everyones hard work, but I always felt that the move to the fort was a huge mistake. The place is far too remote from the tourist areas, even though the atmosphere is great from a re-enactment perspective.

>>>> Cascabel

Aye, but the fact that the festival has suffered since the move has been laid before us before this. It is understood that the fort may not be the most suitable place for the some of the festival events, but as some of the festival is at the fort, we should tender our remarks with encouragement.

A few misplaced words can make all the difference between lacing our expectations with pessimism instead of pragmatism.

Dare I ask, why was it moved?

And where from?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

... The place is far too remote from the tourist areas, even though the atmosphere is great from a re-enactment perspective.

>>>> Cascabel

So is the event for re-enactors or tourists primarily?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

...    The place is far too remote from the tourist areas, even though the atmosphere is great from a re-enactment perspective.   

>>>> Cascabel

So is the event for re-enactors or tourists primarily?

There is no distinction. Pirates, Re-enactors, Townsfolk, Children and Tourists all attend the events. They are held all over Key West. Even the Christmas parade contains pirates.

Aye, but the fact that the festival has suffered since the move has been laid before us before this. It is understood that the fort may not be the most suitable place for the some of the festival events, but as some of the festival is at the fort, we should tender our remarks with encouragement.

A few misplaced words can make all the difference between lacing our expectations with pessimism instead of pragmatism.

I think that is unfair to those who would be going for the first time and spending their hard earned money to go to something that is not going to be like it has in past years. This year's event it only four days, not 10. And Key West is not a cheap place to either get to or be in. So I think it is a valid discussion so folks can make an informed choice.

I am not saying that the new focus of the festival as a re-enactor event is bad. It just doesn't contain many of the components that made the overall event a "must-be-at" event. Things like the pub run, the wonderful evening at Mel Fisher's, the amazing art exhibit at the Custom's House and other stellar events aren't on the boards any longer. This is neither good or bad - just is. Things change. But the photos on the PiP site tell a story that is far larger than the event was last year or will be this year. It's a transition period as the Friends of the Fort take the event over from the individuals who used to run it.

The venue had to change because of island politics, Dorian. The seaport didn't want it there any longer, partly because of a feud over dock space... Long story. But definitely a Key West one.

Glass half full or glass half empty, why not discuss all sides so people can make informed decisions? That's all!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Hawkyns here, posting from Kathryn's computer.

I've got to tell you guys, I've been up and down on this event so much I feel like a frigging yoyo. I really don't know what to think. I was at PiP in '03 and missed most of it because nobody told me that nothing happened until the second weekend and we linked to the first weekend to take advantage of the TG break. I was very disappointed. Not much going on, not many people, and what there was was generally aimed at the average 7 year old. In '04 we gave up on PiP and went to Fantasy Fest instead, marched in the parade and had a much better time. Last year we got screwed completely by the hurricane, since we'd planned to attend FF again.

So this year, hearing that it was going to be more re-enactor friendly, we decided to give PiP another shot. I was looking forward to a period camp in the fort, living the period, and maybe getting on one or two of the sailing ships. Quite honestly, you can have Duval St. at that time of year. After walking down it with a large group of ladies who were wearing nothing but body paint, there's not much that a bar can offer, y'know? I enjoy a drink, but getting shit faced on a pubcrawl I outgrew several decades ago.

So, on the one hand, I don't care if there's no public. I do this for me, not them. On the other, I'm hearing much more about non period camping in the fort, which concerns me, since I want the period atmosphere. I can overlook 19th c architecture much easier than someone in hollywood pirate kit.

If, indeed, the rules are going to be lax for the people in the fort, then I may reconsider. I think the people should be juried just as strictly as the camps. If the festival is going to be so 'family friendly' as to be aimed at the kiddies, I will probably reconsider. The committee might consider what draws the crowds to FF and reset the festival accordingly. Merchants? It's unlikely that there will be much to interest me. I do my shopping at the Fort Frederick Market Faire and the Kalamazoo Re-enactor's market. The last serious shopping I did in KW was at Mel Fisher's.

So I will continue to watch this thread and see where it is going. Certainly, for me to drive down from CT with a period camp, 3 people and one or two cannon, the event will have to have something serious to offer me.

Hawkyns

:P

I think those of us that are setting up Pyrate Camp inside Fort Taylor, should have a meeting one night at PiP to decide what "standards" we want in the future for participation in Pyrate Camp.

This is only the second year inside of the Fort, so Pyrate Camp is still in the developmental stages. I think it would be a good time to decide how authentic we want it. Do we want it "loose and easy going", "semi-authentic" or "hard-core authentic"? There are advantages and disadvantages for each level of authenticity, so we should decide how much effort we are willing to take to be a part of Pyrate Camp.

I would argue going "semi-authentic". My garb and gear is hand finished, bordering on the "hard-core", but I use cotton when linen is more historically correct. At the "semi-authentic" level, cotton and machine sewing would be acceptable. Pyrate Camp would be very small if all the tents had to be hand-sewn linen. At the same time, I wouldn't want to wake-up surrounded by a sea of brightly colored nylon dome tents, and 13 rubber masked Davy Jones'

Obviously, I am not the only participant in Pyrate Camp, so others will have different ideas about how it should be set-up. But I think we should determine the minimum acceptable standards for Pyrate Camp this year at PiP, so we don't have problems in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

fortunately, many of the pirates who have spoken to me about attending PIP have asked some very good questions about gear and appearance. Many of them are taking great strides to look the part of a true pirate. With the cost of travel, it goes without saying, that some of them will not have the kits of seasoned pirates, but when they come to the event they will have the opportunity to learn from the group as a whole.

Our fellowship will turn out better and better pirates over time.

But that is my point....

What I might want, and what others want may be different things.... so we all agree.... pyrate like with a counsell in camp.... decide for ourselves.....

I'm just arguing that we should have a meeting to agree on what standards we want for the future of the Pyrates camping inside the Fort....

How does one become a "Seasoned Pyrate" ? ....

by looking at what the other Pyrates are doing.....

But if we set basic mimimum standards (and tell anyone where to find the info to get there) they won't have to worry if they are OK or not.....with a minimum standard, they will know if thier gear and garb is all right........

Dang... a web page or something..... but we can talk about that at PiP........

Camping inside of the Fort is a group effort.......what do we want ?.......

I have no problem having a meeting about future attendance and standards for the encampment. As the time draws closer, we can pick a time that doesn't conflict with any major events inside or outside the fort. With many of cooking and living around the fire, it shouldn't be a problem getting a discussion going.

The fort folks have created an official form for campers and vendors. Go to the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest section of http://www.piratesinparadise.com and you can download the form.

Happy camping...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The Vendor form states that weapons and weapon like items may not be sold by vendors. However, there is a stipulation that items in question may be approved by the Park Manager. Harry Smid assures me that vendors of replica weapons, firing and non-firing, may call him for approval and additional safety rules touching the sale of weapons.

Furthermore, the $75.00 charge is for vendors only, not for period campers. Reenactment campers get in for free and are asked to be as "accurate as possible" in their kit and costume.

No visible modern watches.

No coleman stoves.

No electric equipment.

No modern vinyl tents.

You may have phones, watches and cameras, but please camoflauge these items inside of ditty bags, haversacks, etc. Common sense is the rule of the day and you are strongly encouraged to research your kit and costumes. Captain Twill is an excellent resource for this purpose.

Harry should be joining the forum in the next two days to answer questions.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as how "authentic" one should be, please allow me to clarify. I do a lot of Civil War reenacting. Many events I attend have these so-called "thread counters" who come down on folks if they don't have the right kind shoes, the right kind of shirt and so forth. That doesn't help those who are trying to gain experience in portraying an historical figure. We don't do that at our events, plain and simple. We understand that the hobby of reenacting--regardless of the period represented--is a costly hobby.

What we ask is that you be as authentic as possible. Nobody here is going to "count threads."

If you have modern day items, all we ask is that you keep them out of sight of the visiting public.

Our aim is to represent a period of history to our visitors--and have a good time doing it!

Harry

Fort Taylor

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Harry... That is why in my post....I think we should have a meeting of the reenactors one night this year at the Fort to figure out how authentic we want to be....

It takes a lot of time and effort to make everything authentic... and why scare away someone that makes a valiant attempt.... but by the same token.... there are a lot of Rennisaunce Faires that without a "standard" have gotten too Fantasy.....

How much effort are we willing to put into it....

I think we all want to make this work......