Pirates Magazine

MDRF_Lumpy

actually BK&S is NOT an advertiser in Pirates Mag , I do however plan to advertise in the second issue!

lol I actually had to go back and check the mag myself as I had no idea if we had sent something in or not!

You must have seen ads in Faerie Magazine

I don't own a copy, but Jim's copy cost me $35...

My take on it... it looks pretty, it really does, and I think the paper is very nice to the touch... but do you really want to pay that much money for a magazine with so little content. On two full pages I counted what... 10 words?!?! Sure, I like page-sized pictures of cute chicks in "pirate" garb, but dang, do I need that many? Talk about wasted space...

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hey It was only 32$, you didnt have to pay parking after that.

My review is...It's exactly what I thought it would be.

How much are they paying for articles/ art?

Good point.

And as an added bonus, that gave me more money toward lunch!

I should borrow it and look at it with a more critical eye. Also worth noting, the fact that (at least) two whole pages were mostly devoid of words indicates that there is room for... more words! (He says, as he cracks his knuckles over the keyboard.)

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

from what I've seen the next issue will grow considerably in size. I would expect it to also be photo heavy as it seems to be the publisher (and general buyers) interests. The high quality paper and printing kind of demand it be photo heavy.

As for articles , I have no idea what they pay, but I'm sure they are open to more writers. I'd guess you have about 2-3 weeks to submit for the next issue, I am! Hopefully i can get my article done for the next one, but I may have to wait an issue. It has nothing to do with swords , so its a bit of a departure for me...

Price? All the magazines I buy are photo heavy. They generally are 8.95 to 12.95 and I buy monthly, so $7.95 doesnt seem expensive to me. (vintage car racing stuff for those interested).

Want more historical pirate info? I'm sure they would be interested in finished submisions

Well, whaddya know? After all my griping, they came through. Crammed into my mailbox yesterday was a package clearly hand-labeled "DO NOT BEND", which was folded almost completely in half (fault of the illiterate US Postal Service, not Pirates Magazine.)

Subscription problems aside (these remain to be sorted out) I am happy with the magazine itself.

I agree with many of the comments already posted.

Yes: perhaps far too many full-page glossy pictures with little or no text. But I found these interesting to look at. I may change my opinion on a second run-through...

Too many ads? I disagree. I see where the complaint has merit, but if you pick up a copy of almost any other specialty-audience magazine (and I compare this to a copy of "Kittens" magazine which is sitting on the coffee table, and is almsot one-half ads), I have seen far, far worse... I personally feel the balance is not at all out of proportion. At least these are PIRATE product ads. Again, it could be worse.

I have read very little, but on cursory examination, I am quite pleased with the magazine. I, too, found multiple articles on advertisers, but as a consumer, I would prefer to see continued reviews on pirate-merchandise vendors, whether they are also advertisers or not. In this regard, I would cite comparison to "Guns of the Old West" (I subscribe), which is rather product-review heavy, and cites vendor sources for each item reviewed.

Very pleased with "Calendar of Pirate events."

First glance? Two thumbs up. Oh, sorry -- one thumb up and one hook.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Subscription Length: 1 Year (4 issues) - $26.00

(18% off cover price)

2 Years (8 issues) - $50.00

(21% off cover price)

Price varies for non US subscribers (due to shipping).

You will be contacted with cost before being charged.

Premier issue is now available for shipping!

Just clipped this in from this location on the mags website..

https://www.piratesmagazine.com/subscribe.html

...And then things to start to fall into line. It is no small miracle that I found a copy of the check I sent in for the subscription. My problem was that I sent it in FEBRUARY, and was not looking for it that far back. Now I have to access the past eight months of online bank statements to verify whether or not it was cashed...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

i'm sure if they did it will be no issue to get it honored.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you...

But if I do not see it listed as cashed on the first read-through (listed by chronological transaction, not sequential by check number), I have to keep looking over the numbers to be sure I did not miss it. And again. and possibly again. Not looking forward to this task.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Pete, can you call your bank and ask them to look up the check by number (or amount)? Or can you do it on their website? I had to do this before and they looked the check up for me so I didn't have to look through all my records.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

No, it is on a website. But it is not so user-friendly.

And if I am looking over bank records on-line, that takes away from the time I can be typing stupid jokes, not-so-witty comebacks, and new "Word Association" entries here in the Pub!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I've already seen the cover and a bit of the content for nest issue. I'll not be a spoiler, but if you liked issue #1 you will be pleased! I think the JS cover on issue one was kind of expected, but the disney supplied pic from the movie was kinda fuzzy for me. Issue 2 works that out and ties in nicely to articles in the mag.

I imagine , like their other publication the second issue will be much easier to find as the distributors tend to greatly increase purchasing based on previous sales. Some dealers are already charging premiums for issue one as a collectable! Seems silly but maybe an acid free bag is in order for those who have copies. I know the publisher has some stock but less I think then they expected to keep in reserve.

I was very surprised to recieve a copy of Pirates magazine in the mail to me.

I know I called Wells Fargo to cancel the check and they even charged me for it....so I guess the check was cashed before Fargo could do anything... B)

Well it was kind of nice to get the magazine....

The universe seems to have fallen into place.

...or perhaps I complained too fast?

I received an issue of Pirates magazine with a computer-generated label. This appears to be my long-lost subscription. Will wonders never cease?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

...What's more, this weekend I found Pyrates magazine on the shelves of a local Barnes & Noble a full month (or more) after NOT finding it there.

What I can now see is that there are distribution problems... but it is getting where it needs to be.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

...What's more, this weekend I found Pyrates magazine on the shelves of a local Barnes & Noble a full month (or more) after NOT finding it there.

What I can now see is that there are distribution problems... but it is getting where it needs to be.

I worked for them years ago when the first made their way to Richmond, and it did seem to take a few months to get new 'zine's on the shelf...

Notice not calling it a rack. Racks are more fun! :lol::huh:

:huh: