Pirate's Canteen

I am now the proud owner of a new oak barrel. You can see a picture of it here. At 2 liters capacity it's the perfect size -- big enough to actually use, but still small enough to carry around. It's about the size of an American football with the pointy ends knocked off. I bought it partly so I could have my own barrel (or cask or keg -- just what do you call a barrel this tiny anyway?) The secondary reason I got it was so I could use it as a pyratical canteen.

I have a coupla questions regarding how I can "dress it up" without impairing the authenticity. Was there a common way to attach a shoulder strap of some sort to a barrel to allow easy carry? Should I leave it plain, or should I paint "RHUM" or "XXX" on it somehere? Would a small cask like this have been "labeled" in any way? Any other suggestions?

I asked all the above in PLUNDER. Apart from a few "oohs" and "aahs", I didn't get any feedback. I figure the CAPTAIN TWILL crowd is more likely to stay focussed and give me a few suggestions (after, of course, pointing out how such a timy keg isn't period anyway, especially with black steel hoops <_< ).

An onion bottle and a cork should do nicely. If you want you could fill it with rum before corkin the bottle .

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

An onion bottle and a cork should do nicely. If you want you could fill it with rum before corkin the bottle .

:lol:

Perhaps I was a little vague in the OP. Allow me to restate my case:

• I have a small (7"L × ~5"Dia.) barrel.
  • It has a filling hole with a stopper.
  • It has a spigot.
  • How might I attach a shoulder (sling) strap?
  • Would painting "Rhum" or "XXX" on the barrel be farb or not?

Thank you.

For a strap I wouldnt want to drill or screw into the Keg. You probably would be better off to make a sort of harness from leather. The XXX or the Rum logos would be a personal thing. Please post photos when you get this figured out. I saw some "Blue" bottles used for water last year swinging from people at the Washington Renn Faire. It seemed plenty of people were wearing them and all the vendors were selling them.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I know gourd water jugs and canteens go back pretty far. Not sure how far, but I think I've seen illustrations of the French troops in the new world using them.

http://cap-n-ball.com/gourds/

Personally, I take the same route as Harbormaster and go with a bottle. A bellarmine jug would be another good choice.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hmmmm, there was just a big gourd event here a few weeks back. Looking at those pictures of the gourds, really fascinated me.

I just took one of the Pyrate Rum bottles (which are sort of onion shaped), and had Tony Kopec macrame around it for me. Turned out great...now one of these days I'll remember to bring it to an event. :rolleyes:

Ye can find two kinds of gourd canteens at crazy crow . They supply alot of misc and camp gear pirates can use.

So ye squuze a pirate so tight he pops his flask eh Rumba?

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."