Flying Dutchman on display...

Iron Bess

The 'Flying Dutchman' Anchors at Castaway Cay

The Flying Dutchman is the centerpiece in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the blockbuster hit movie released this summer by Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films. The movie premiered in theaters onboard the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder.

Created as a floating movie set, the Flying Dutchman adds another dimension of enjoyment to the tropical flavor at Castaway Cay.

"Castaway Cay is the perfect home for the Flying Dutchman, and we're thrilled to bring this added feature to the island," said Tom McAlpin, president of Disney Cruise Line. "With the recent opening of the film, this will give our guests a special experience that we know they will be talking about for a long time to come."

The Flying Dutchman was towed 75 miles to Castaway Cay, from Freeport, where it was stored after the movie production was completed.

Now anchored off Castaway Cay's Family Beach, the Flying Dutchman is an amazing spectacle that brings to life the legend of a ghost ship condemned to roam the oceans for the rest of eternity. The 420-ton vessel's sails are ragged. Its hull is encrusted with barnacles, as though the ship just rose from the bottom of the ocean.

Considering the film's star power and the strong fan support, the Flying Dutchman has quickly become one of the most popular backdrops for photos taken by guests at Castaway Cay.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I don't know if I'll ever make it to Castaway Cay, but this post reminded me of something that my fellow west coast pirates might want to know about. The ship built for the movie Master and Commander is docked in San Diego and is available for tours, along with a steel hulled sailing ship named Star of India.

oh, twist twist twist. :lol:

I LOVE the Disney Cruise Line. I didn't see my kids for days! Nights, yes but the days were mine!

Hey Wait, isn't the Magic going to the Mediterrean next year? Hmmmm, now another reason to do the Caribbean again instead the Mediterrean. All the Mediterrean cruises were booked up anyway.

Ah-_Pirates-445x600.jpg

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Well, if it's the Flying Dutchman you're wanting to cruise on, try the Royal Clipper. She's a five-masted full-rigger (one of only two ever built) that sails as a cruise ship in the West Indies and Med. There's even some trans-Atlantic cruises available, I believe. They've got a couple of schooners as well, if I recall correctly.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Very awesome. Love that image... alas, the Dutchman is dwarfed by the giant behemoth in the background.

But... aye... I'm with ya there, Joshua.... I'd LOVE to set foot upon the Dutchman. ;)

Now... for some of us who are landlocked and poorly educated of Geography.. where th' devil is Castaway Cay?

That would be a hell of a vessel to fully outfit, man it like a couple other vessels and sail about to some of the Festivals. I know we'd LOVE to see the Flying Dutchman at Port Washington. Or even the Black Pearl for that matter of fact.

So.. where's the Black Pearl going to be?

And yes, that statement is correct.. the Flying Dutchman kicks ass!!!

~Lady B

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Andre Rieu is at Castaway Cay!

Cool! :P

I likes his concerts . . .

Oh, That Flying Dutchman.... ;)

Nevermind. ;)

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

Of course we had to take the cruise in April :P

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Now... for some of us who are landlocked and poorly educated of Geography.. where th' devil is Castaway Cay?

About Castaway Cay

Castaway Cay was once Gorda Cay before Disney acquired it for Disney Cruise Line. The island is located 225 nautical miles from Disney's year-round home port of Port Canaveral, Florida, and is a pristine island located in the string of Bahamian islands named the Abacos. Stretching 3.1 miles long and 2.2 miles wide, Disney has developed less than 10 percent of the island, allowing the natural beauty to surround guests at every turn.

After they acquired Gorda Cay, Disney then worked its magic built all the buildings and facilities on the island including bars, restaurants, restrooms a post office and a private dock for the Disney Cruise Line ships. Again, this is the only cruise line private island where a ship can dock directly on the island, eliminating the need for tenders to ferry guests between the island and the ship. You are free to come and go as you wish.

That is until the hurricanes' rearrange it for them. :P

Castaways-600x415.jpg

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

If anyone has an interest in such thing...

There is a hidden Mickey on that ship. It's really Mickey's *skull* carved somewhere on the hull. <_<

Happy hunting ! :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh... question.

With Hurricane Chris heading towards that general vicinity... what precautions are being taken to ensure the safety of the Flying Dutchman?

Would hate to see anything horrible happen to that ship! It's such a fine visual spectical!

Still can't believe they decided to leave it in one stationary spot instead of taking the Dutchman to various ports. MANY people would LOVE to see what infamous ship. Ditto with the Black Pearl... in which I have heard story after story of how people were just swamping around the Black Pearl anchored there around the LA area. If people are so eager to grab a glimpse of the Black Pearl.. imagine fully outfitting her.. and the Flying Dutchman and taking the vessels to various places?

Corny.. I know. Not likely, I know... but tis an idea. Considering people I know continuously state they would LOVE to see the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman up close and even stand on their decks, etc. Those 2 ships are legendary now.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Of course we had to take the cruise in April :lol:

We took ours in February. And there are no plans to repeat that vacation anytime soon since it's the only "real" vacation we've taken as a family (oldest is almost 12 years old). :o

But I like to remain optimistic. Maybe something miraculous will happen to allow us to go again. My hubby LOVED Castaway Cay; he didn't want to leave. :o

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Of course we had to take the cruise in April :(

We took ours in February. And there are no plans to repeat that vacation anytime soon since it's the only "real" vacation we've taken as a family (oldest is almost 12 years old). :(

But I like to remain optimistic. Maybe something miraculous will happen to allow us to go again. My hubby LOVED Castaway Cay; he didn't want to leave. :D

My mate loved the Disney Cruise (talked him into 2 so far). We're planning another for 2008 before the boys get too old for Disney. I'm trying to talk him into Memorial Day weekend, 2007 (POTC 3 Priem'ear'). It's the airfare that's killer, so I'll have to have him work on the those frequent flier miles to make it happen in 2007. ;)

~Black Hearted Pearl