Sterling NY - Pirate Weekend (22/23 July)

William Blydes

I am sorry not to meet some of m' pub mates.

And missing the first Pirate weekend :ph34r:

Now... if for some chance I was able to play my several commitments off against eachother and sneek up the middle and find myself in Sterling on sunday... how would I recognize you, my friends?

I'll be wearing what I have in the 'garb' thead. Makes it easier.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

My personal obervations...as far as pirates go, lame. Just how many "ho-pirates" can you fit in one venue? Seriously, a lot of really stupid "crap" for costuming. Just what pirate wore stilletto boots, shiny armor chest plate, a fox tail and maribu feathers???? Sometimes just too silly.

As for the faire itself...I had an enjoyable time. Loved the commedia show, if you go next weekend make sure to take it in, it's at 12:15. As it rained heavily Saturday, Sunday when I went was very, very croweded.

Next weekend is "Romance" weekend, the weekend follwing "Celtic."

<sigh> Well, I guess it isn't too bad for a first try at it.....

How were the Pyrates Royale?

I've been at the faire for Romance weekend. Never really noticed much difference :rolleyes:

Now... beer weekend (Amber Bock) is a good one :lol:

Of course, it's closing weekend too. I'll be there sunday for sure.

I hope the front office desides to have a Pirate weekend again next year.

William Blydes

CaptRob.jpg

Ok... someone post pics of the event.... good or bad!

and for the record, if I gotta look at fantasy pirates, they might as well be in stilletos and thongs.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Saturday was a rain soaked day. Still there were lots of people there in the thin little plastic poncho's that the faire had. The Pyrates Royale were awesome. They did some of their old songs and sounded fantastic. The gang that I was with got mistaken a few times for the band. We had to quickly point out "no no... they sing better than us". :lol:

Sunday was a bright and sunny day. Got to agree with Maggie. I don't think I've seen more costume store/adult fantasy pirates running around. There were definitely more people there Sunday as the beer and food lines took longer to get through...

I recommend seeing the young lasses that pour beer and cider at the "Black Horse Pub" ( I think that was the name of the beer stand), it's under the balcony where the court comes out and banters with the crowd. Anyways, these girls would fill you mug up to the brim and still only charge the cost of a drink... even when, like my mug, it would easily take two of the regular plastic cups. :huh::lol:

As a friend of mine points out.... 'Sterling. "The Faire That's Uphill ... Both Ways." '

There's a good bunch of vendors from MD there as well.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Sorry t' have missed ye General. I did ask a number o' likely 'suspects' iffen they were General Chaos but, all denied it....as well as knowledge o' The Pub.

I were the "topsail wench" in the Saturday Pirate's Royale show in the black "love Pirate" tee shirt. I did not go in garb as it were pourin' rain on Saturday an' blisterin' hot on Sunday an' I were on a mission t' catch as much theatre as possible.

Th' second Pirate Show wit' th' cannons was SUPERB! (Down at th' Dunke Pond) Though that be a 'regular' weekly show an' can be seen all summer. I highly recommend it!

Mister Blydes ye be right.......tis my experience that "theme" weekends be no different than other weekends.....or so it would seem.....

Mayhap we might meet before summer's end.....

Will ye be at Alex Bay Pirate's Weekend(s) in August. I should like t' try an' catch at least one battle! (An' iffen ye comes wit' yer big ship can I sail wit' ye for th' battle?) (Please.)

Fair Winds.....

~Foxmorton

I were the "topsail wench" in the Saturday Pirate's Royale show in the black "love Pirate" tee shirt.)

Fair Winds.....

~Foxmorton

Aye, it be Major Chaos... if ye hit the right group they'd 've known who I was. Even the Pyrates Royale know me... by that name.

If'n me mind is rememberin' things right... were ye the tall lass that Draco "woo'd" up onto the stage?

I'm going to 've to get some of me partners camera's and inspect 'em again... lol.

I remember ye for that bit... or should I say the "tops'ls a guiver" bit anyway :D:rolleyes:B) I was on the opposite side from ya. There were a whole gang of us. I was wearing me long black (soaked) coat and a very droopy black cavalier hat? mayhaps you saw me? anyways.

that was a great show. They haven't done that song in a while. Great seeing them dust off some of their old ones.

I'll definitely be back again next year. It is a fine faire... well... maybe it could be a tad better if they leveled it a bit :P

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I recommend seeing the young lasses that pour beer and cider at the "Black Horse Pub" ( I think that was the name of the beer stand), it's under the balcony where the court comes out and banters with the crowd. Anyways, these girls would fill you mug up to the brim and still only charge the cost of a drink... even when, like my mug, it would easily take two of the regular plastic cups. :lol::lol:

Ah yes.... They are fine group of lasses as you've ever seen.

Order the mead... you'll get most of a mugs worth.

Just a smile and undying devotion is all it will cost you :unsure:

William Blydes

CaptRob.jpg

Saturday was a rain soaked day. Still there were lots of people there in the thin little plastic poncho's that the faire had. The Pyrates Royale were awesome. They did some of their old songs and sounded fantastic. The gang that I was with got mistaken a few times for the band. We had to quickly point out "no no... they sing better than us". :unsure:

Some of my most enjoyable days at faire were in the rain. As long as it isn't too cold, and your garb can take it, it's kind of fun. Usually just the die hards out. It's not good for the faire itself though. Less patrons....

I really hope the Pyrates Royale come back next year if they do the weekend again.

It's always interesting to be mistaken for cast. The Canadian faires are all relatively new with few in garb. I was always been mistaken for cast there. One year there was a children's scavenger hunt. They had to find the 'Captain in Black" and introduce themselves with a song or a magic trick. Soon I figured this out and kept pointing them to the cast member who was the real target. The 'Captain' and I had a chat at one of the pubs, and he said I looked more the part than he did. He told me what the next direction what the kids were looking for and was welcome to supply it. The rest of the season when a child introduced himself as part of the hunt, I told them the next clue. It was fun.

William Blydes

CaptRob.jpg

Will ye be at Alex Bay Pirate's Weekend(s) in August. I should like t' try an' catch at least one battle! (An' iffen ye comes wit' yer big ship can I sail wit' ye for th' battle?) (Please.)

I was talking to my friends in the front office for the St. Lawrence II. They have desided NOT to go to the Pirate Fest in A-Bay!!!

The ship got a contract for a cruise to SE Lake Ontario!!!

That sucks!

William Blydes

CaptRob.jpg

Nay on th' hills!

Wit' a season pass ye can develop calf muscles t' die for! :o

Part o' the charm o' Sterlin' is th' exhaustion from hill climbin'!

:o

<sigh> I fine lass with a great pair of gams is a sight to behold... :lol:

William Blydes

CaptRob.jpg