The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

I stumbled out of the coach, sure my face was as green as the dark water slapping against the dock. Taking in a lung-full of fresh air, I let Nate help me up, adjusted the cursed corset, felt to make sure the emerald hadn't escaped, then took stock of our situation.

Across the bay, I could see the stern light of the Rakehell flickering in the distance. The Relentless rocked gently at anchor as well. Nothing seemed amiss — as much as I could tell through still slightly crossed eyes.

"Are the jolly boats still here?" I whispered.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Cat stumbled up behind th rest "Make haste then! I'v 'ad enough o this" She stepped into th boat an nodded at th crew. Silently glad Silkie had thought to send them.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate helped the ladies into the boat the best he could and settled in himself. Once they were away from the docks he grinned again. "This be more like it now." The boat rocked some and Nate looked relieved. He patted his pistol and cutlass, and admired the gift given him. Nate noticed some looks shot his way, and although he was in his cups still, knew what the looks were for. He grabbed up a sweep and joined in pulling back to the ships. Nate began humming a shanty about then, a small grin on his face as he looked at his companions, settling more than once on the Red Cat.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As the small boat was oared toward the Rakehell, I leaned in close to Jacky and said, "Before you return to the Relentles we need to talk — in private."

Then Nate began to sing, Red Cat gave a satisfied huff, and Jacky merely nodded. Whether in consent to my request, or in time to Nate's tune, I couldn't say.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat smiled a little smile, aye the good wood o' th boat felt fine agin her back and the sway o th sea righted things jest enough. She laughed at Nates glances an raised a brow. The lot o them bein on th way t' th Rakehell, she wondered just wot had been goin on wit Ol Roberts an Silkie... Cat pulled th everpresent flask from upon her finely dressed person an passed it round

Nate waited for the flask to come his way. He timed it right between strokes and got a snoot full of dark rum. He handed it off and continued to pull away, grinning at Red Cat, Nate nodded his thanks when she looked his way. No one else had picked up the shanty he was singing, so Nate let it lie. He glanced over his shoulder to see how far they were from the ship, wondering why it was taking so long to get there. Still, Nate didn't complain, he just kept on pulling and hummed the shanty to himself.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Wit' a bit o' moon lite left t' sail by, I could make out the unmistakable raked sails o' the Rakehell.

A lit lantern aft an stern, so Africa would see us comin', we made way fer Ransom's ship. Didn't need no one turnin' a swivel gun on us, since the long boat was not from the Rackhell.

I wanted t' get back t' the Relentless, an find out why Silkie (not Roberts) had sent another long boat, t' fetch us. This day had presented us wit' so many course changes, wot was one more!

Red Cat shifted in th boat an sat next t' Tar..

"Oi Jacky.." she passed him th flask "wot's on yer mind aye? "

When we got within hailing range of the Rakehell, I called softely, "Oi, the watch. Africa? Tunny?"

Above us, Africa's deep voice answered. "Saw you commin', ma'am. Dat dress be all shiny on da water, bright as moonlight."

I was briefly taken aback by this hint of poetry from a black ex-slave, then started to climb up the entryway stairs, tying my skirts up around my waist so my boots wouldn't slip on the narrow slats. I hoped Jacky would follow me, and not return to the Relentless until we'd had our talk.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate helped hold the boat steady as the Captain, Red Cat, and the Commodore climbed aboard the Rakehell. It was difficult keeping his eyes averted as the ladies climbed up the ladderway, but he did a fair job of it. Nate followed behind the commodore, gifted weapon under his arm. Words were passed between Ransom and Africa, Nate watched as the big moore looked at him, noticed the weapons in his hands and on his side with a disapproving stare. Nate took the hint and made himself scarce until called upon. He wanted to give the rapier to the captain, but wouldn't do so in front of the moore, so Nate would wait in the shadows watching until the time was right. Nate also watched Red Cat, hoping she might seek him out and keep him away from Africa.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat came walkin silently along th deck..wishin t' know wot lie ahead..Jacky warn't th talkative lad so she headed abou t' see wot was wot..an collect her own thots

Seems everyone wanted a word this evenin', even the CAt who was pacin' in the shadows. I walked over t' Red Cat an fell in step beside her.

"Ye had a question fer me, did ye Cat?" I asked.

Seemed she was troubled by our reception in Havana an wondered wot I thought o' the night's events.

"It's just business wit' Raphael Navarro, Cat. He's not against us, an his brother (Juan Francisco) just puts his nose in everyone's business!" I casually remarked.

Silkie walked the deck stem to stern several times. She observed the jolly watt head to the shore and arrived just as it was needed. When she saw that they were headed to the Rakehell first she went to the galley for some fresh brewed coffee and returned to the deck to keep vigil once again.

Roberts had been aloof while the others were gone. He sensed she was very much unlike most women. Not different like CAt or Ransom but different in some way he could not pinpoint that unsettled him about his attraction to the auburn haired lass.

The warm temperatures from the day were cooling quickly, the constant breezes chilled ones skin Silkie liked the ocean at night ...well she liked the ocean no matter the time of day or season but she was feeling good having spent the day relaxing. She had fun with the lad's onboard, but she was itching for some adventure. Resigned that any adventure would be at least a few hours away she started a chantie in a low alto timber she hoping that Dillard wouldn't be too offended by the song.

Many of the crew had collapsed in their hammocks, from exhaustion. Silkie's constant singing and duty assignments had taken their toll. I didn't want to admit it, but she had gotten the Relentless in ship shape, in short order.

Just as I was about to surrender to sleep myself, she started to sing, again! I grabbed a blanket from my sea chest, wrapped it tightly around my head, almost cutting off the air I needed to breath; there are worse things then suffocating, I thought.

While the others lingered on deck, I spoke with Africa. "Any trouble today?"

He shook his head. "No one come out to board us. Only visitors be some fishermen oferin' to sell us a bit of their catch. Ludo buy some big ol' fish and cook it tonight. We eat like kings. There be some left if you still hungry."

I smiled. "No, I'm not in need of food at the moment. Who's on watch tonight?"

"Supposed to be Goose, and dat new man, Nate."

"Well, put someone else in Nate's place. He's had enough excitment for one night, and he's so full of rum he'd probably fall asleep. I don't think the Cat's entirely sober either. In any case, I'm going to get out of this damned dress. I have some other information you need to know, so we'll talk again after I've changed."

Africa nodded then went to find a replacement for Nate's watch.

Scrubbing fingers through my hair, which had come loose during the wild coach ride, I turned to Jacky. "I'm going to my cabin. If you think you're talked out, you needn't follow. Your choice."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

When none joined in the chantie after the second chorus came around Silkie stopped her song. She could sense someone below deck was adgitated at the sound. Instead she dug into her haversack, pilled out paper charcoal and by the light of the lantern that hung above her began to draw ..in silence.

"just puts his nose in everyone's business!"

Red Cat looked at Jacky "Wall he be loosin anything he sticks too close!" She smiled ferally an patted th hilt oh her trusted friend. "But I'll take it ye have things in hand then" They walked a bit further in silence. Hands behind their backs they fell in step fer a bit. Cat realized how she treasured her few close mates an relished th adventures. They stopped near th mizzen. JAcky glanced back towards where Ransom had been. "Aye JAcky I know she means t' speak wit ye..sensitive type she be at times..go on then" she gave him a friendly cuff to th shoulder an a wink. Cat continued t' stroll th deck smilin an hummin a lil tune long fergotten..

I knew Ransom wanted t' know 'bout the conversations that were not had at dinner. Her emotions had run so dangerously close t' the surface all night, I wasn't sure a civil conversation was likely 'tween us. Not havin' the energy fer a fight, I wanted t' return t' me ship.

Makin' my way t' her cabin, under the watchful eye o' Africa, I knocked lightly on her door. Hopeful she'd already succumbed t' fatigue, I spoke softly, "Ransom, I'll be takin' me leave an returnin' to the Relentless, mayhaps we can converse in the mornin'?" Wit' no answer forth comin', I turned an headed in the direction o' the long boat.

I heard the soft knock on my door and was surprized. I'd thought for sure he would avoid me. I hesitated, not sure I was doing the right thing, at the right time. Then he spoke quietly about returning to his ship.

Still I hesitated, so afraid of refusal.

I heard him turn to walk away.

Without thought, I flung open the door, my heart racing.

"Jacky wait."

He paused, his expression one of resignation. It was obvious he anticipated another fight.

I took a deep breath, and risked all. "I don't really want to talk, but...I could use some help getting out of this dress."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate kept out of the way and watched as the captain headed to her quarters. He looked at the fancy weapon he still carried and wondered if he should find a way to give it to her now, or wait until the next day. Nate also watched as the commodore and Red Cat walked together, talking in low tones. he was about to call it a night and find his hammock when he saw Cat punch the commodore in the arm. He walked away form her as she continued to walk the deck with a smile on her face. Nate wondered not for the first time about her. She were an enigma, as was captain Ransom, but Red Cat was more so. She said she had a ship of her own, so she were a captain too. Both women dressed as men while aboard, and he assumed mostly all other times considering the discomfort they appeared to be in as they were dressed this evening. Nate knew they both felt naked without their weapons about their persons. Yet they both were able to be very much the Genteel Lady. Nate was sort of confused, but he took this to be the rum affecting him. Instead of trying to crack the enigmas, Nate decided he would spend the present time admiring the woman walking the deck in her fine dress.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I turned, a smile crossin' me face. "Aye, help wit' the dress. If I had a piece o' eight fer everytime I've helped a lady get out o' her dress, I'd hav no need in goin' in search o' treasure, again."

Ransom's eyes narrowed, she tried not t' smile, as I entered her cabin.

The smile I gave him hid an overwhelming relief. I don't know what I wold have done, had he refused, and left the ship.

I locked the door. He watched me, with hazel eyes more green than brown, waiting to see how far this would go.

"You know, it seems a shame to waste that lovely bath we've had. Who knows when we'll both smell this nice again."

Then I turned my back, and lifted my hair, so he could unlace the beautiful white dress he'd bought me so long ago.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My fingers trembled as I tried t' unlace the delicate garment. I figured Africa must o' helped lace her up, that thought made me chuckle and steadied me nerves.

Some of the laces were knotted, an I cursed Africa under me breath fer not tyin' a decent slip knot. As I fumbled wit' the snarled laces, I could tell Ransom was gettin' impatient.

So I reached fer a knife t' free Ransom from this Gordian gown, when she spun about an dropped her hair. She knocked the knife from me hand and pushed me t' the floor. 'Fore I could assure her that my intentions were honorable (and I wasn't goin' t' knife her) she lept upon me...

Once we'd crashed to the floor, knocking into a chair, and setting a small stack of books tumbling, I stuck my face within inches of his, and snarled, "What kind of gob can't even get a woman out of a stupid dress!"

I sat up, straddling his stomach, then leaned over and grabbed the knife. Jacky's eyes got huge, and I laughed. "I'm not going to stab you, fool." I threw it out of the way, and it buried itself into the wall with a thud, the hilt quivering.

Then I leaned over him again, my face inches from his, and whispered, "No, I'm not going to stab you, Mr. Tar, I'm going to kiss you."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg