The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate bowed a shallow bow to the people they were introduced to. He almost grinned, but didn't because of an expression on several faces. He was not dressed in such finery as they and he perceived they looked down upon him for it. Nate wore a more stoic face as they were seated at a finely set table. His mood brightened as he was seated between the two ladies of the ships. He finished his goblet of rum and signaled a servant over. "Ol' Nate an' th ladies here would like more rhum, aye." The servant gave a questioning look to Nate, so he tried the lingo. "Dos Rhums, por favour. Fer th señora an me." The servant finally caught the meaning and took their empty goblets on his serving tray and bowed before walking out of the hall. Nate looked at Red Cat and the corner of his mouth smiled a bit and he winked at her again. Looking around the table, Nate saw more guests had been seated. He smiled politely and nodded to them, looking at the captain and commodore, hoping he hadn't offended them or anyone else. As the servant returned with Red Cat and his rhum, it dawned on him that he might have asked if they wanted anything. "Ah, capin, ma'am, commodore? would ye like this here servant ta get yer a drink from th' bar afore we eat?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think I'll stick with this fine Madiera, thank you, Nate."

Mentally I assesed the Spaniard, Navarro. He was handsome, expensively dressed, and had, to my mind, an over-abundance of Spanish self-pride. His offer to have me captain one of his ships I took at face value and thanked him, while thinking "never in my lifetime."

I was also praying to the sea gods that Red Cat and Nate, having already hit the rum, wouldn't do anything to embarrase us, or cause trouble. This was not the time to make waves.

Leaning over the table, I whispered to the pair of them, "Mind your manners, that Navarro is our ticket out of this port. Offend him, and we may all end up in a Spanish gaol. Eat his food, laugh at his jokes, and play the lady and gent. You can cuss him later, when we're back on board."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red cat rolled her eyes and opened her mouth ta say summin smart...but Ransom kicked her ankle unner th table. Which was quite a feat as Nate sat between em. CAt made a face but grinned at the look on ol Nate...who wern't sure which ladies leg had just crosed his own. Ransom's expression remained calm the entire time as she listened to Navarro speak.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I gave Navarro a nice smile. "Thank you for speaking in English. I regret to say, I know very few words of your fine language, and most of them should probably not be used at this table. I spend most of my time with sailors, Sir, you will understand what I mean."

I sipped my wine slowly, and prepared to make small talk. Anything to keep our host happy.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

While Ransom and the Spaniard wagged on abou ships an langueges Red Cat was enjoyin th rum an let her eyes wander about th table. Gold utensils, fine crystal an china. Silver candlesticks.. her eyes grew large at th wealth afore em. She glanced across at Jacky t see wot his reaction may be. Cat caught his eye an winked surreptitiously.

"Senor Tar you no doubt recognized capitan Cardona, the capitan of the next Tierra Firme fleet. Capitain Nunez, the capitan of the guard fleet." Jacky smiled and nodded.

"Ransom, did you know your dinner companion has helped chart many voyages for us? And I am happy to report we have never lost a treasure ship using his charts." I said this for the benefit of the spainish capitans.

I didn't like where this was conversation was goin' an neither did the Spanish captains, as they moved further away from our table.

"Senor Navarro is too kind. It looks like the captains won't be joinin' us fer dinner." Captain Cardona whispered something t' Nunez an moved closer t' the door.

Thunderstruck, I tried to keep my face calm. "Why, no, Sir, I was not aware that Captain Tar was charting for the Spanish. But, he is a man...," I looked at Jacky, then back at our host, ..."he is a man of many surprizes, it would seem. I assume you have rewarded him well for these efforts on your behalf?"

God! Jacky in the pay of Spaniards. And he never said a word about it to any of us. If I lived through this dinner, I swore, I'd beat Jacky senseless or shoot him.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I saw Ransom's mock expression, an realized there would be hell t' pay later.

I quickly interjected, "Not in their employ as a map maker, an they were kind enough t' return me charts."

Navarro was quick at table politics, an remarks like his could make or break deals.

"The Spanish hav boarded the Relentless before an borrowed some things, as it were."

Th Cat sat quietly seemin at ease, however e'ery nerve was focused. Split betwixt th conversation an th door. She'd knowd bout Jacky Tar's past "experiences wit th Spanish" an wondered if this were a boardin o another type. Th tension in th room had grown an she ran a finger absently along the tine of her fork as it lay on th table. However th other, out of sight were slowly hikin up her skirt t' feel where th dagger be tucked away in her boot. Normally she'd need only t' ave dropped her hand t' her pistol unseen below th table. Cat grummbled inwardly despite a calm face, that it were not thar. She could tell that next t' her Nate were payin close attention as well.

Nate clamped his jaw tightly shut as he heard what was said about the commodore being in cahoots with the spanish. His hands made slowly for weapons not there and watched the body language of those around the table. nate felt the air thicken with tension and this caused him to tense up a bit. The guards at the doors seemed more at attention than before. Nate looked at the ceiling and mumbled to himself. A moment later he relaxed some and smiled a little smile. He looked around the table at the spanish, and at those he was with. His eyes stopped on the commodore. Nate shook his head the slightest bit and only Red Cat and Ransom heard him click his tongue as he did so. Well ol' Nate, a fine situation ya been put in. . . . at yer ease lad, He told ya He can get ya out o this. . . . Not sure about th commodore, but you, aye. Nate thought to himself as he picked up a spoon and breathed on it before shining it against his sleeve and grinning at the spanish.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Quick to catch the terms "borrowed" and "returned", I decided that Jacky's colusion with the Spanish might not have been voluntary. I decided not to shoot him.

Looking over my glass at Navarro, I smiled and replied, "Well, I've been known to borrow a few items from ships from time to time." My smile broadened. "And I can't say that I've always returned them. If the...borrowing was profitable for you both, then no harm done, I suppose."

A movement of Cats caught my eye, and I quickly kicked her under the table again, knowing what item she was slowly, and carefully reaching for.

To divert the conversation away from treasure ships and charts, I gestured to a china bowl decorated in a blue pattern of leaves and birds. "Tell me, Sir, do you also import items from the east? It is strange to see such a delicate item so far from its home."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate sat holding the spoon and his brow furrowed. Had he just heard captain Ransom say what she said? All of a sudden, ol' Nate put two and two together. He visibly paled for a moment. Theys all a bunch o pyrates! Father?!?! Wot are ya doin ta me?!?!? he thought. His color returned and he sat up in his chair. Nate's eyes searched the room for some way out of there. Maybe he could ask to use the privy and escape that way. No luck, every door had two guards, even the one to what he believed was the kitchen. Nate became very stoic. He set down the spoon and took up his goblet and took a long drink.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat's pracitced smile tightened just a bit as Ransom's boot met her ankle a sekint time. She made note ta return th favor later. Cat released th hem o her skirts an reached f' her newly filled goblet. As she did so, she realized Nate had gone a bit pale.. Ransom began t' discuss some odd bowl on th table like she were a dignitaries wife 'stead o th pirate Captain she be, an ol JAcky said summin t' th server in Spanish. Cat's head started t' hurt. She drank down th rum an motioned t' th somallier who hadn't got but a small distance away..

Nates sudden palor caught my eye. So, I thought, the penny has finally dropped. I could only hope he wouldn't do anything stupid. I gave him a hard stare, and said, "How is your rum, Nate? Might want to be careful. It's going to be a long night."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Senor Tar's party seemed tense, hungry no doubt. "You must all be hungry, where are my manners. Allow me to say good-bye to the other capitans. I will have your servers start the first course."

I rose from my chair slowly, as there were many busy hands beneath the table. "I promise you will not need your knifes for the first course." I finished standing and directed the waiters to serve my guests.

Cat heard Nate swallow hard. She raised a bemused eyebrow at Ransom over th rim o her cup an giggled..just a small giggle.

I gave Red Cat a wink back, and watched the servants place the first course on the table.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Our attention was directed t' the food, a dish that needed no knife, a very tender baked chicken.

I watched the conversation 'tween Raphael an Captain Cardona. I could tell Cardona was not happy t' see me an still regarded me wit' disdain. "Bloody hell, ye'd think I boarded his ship," I muttered.

At his last comment, I turned to Jacky. "I get the impression that Captain Cardona doesn't like you very much. Are we going to have trouble with that man?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Captain Cardona didn't stay. I was relieved, as the look he cast Jacky's way was murderous. Instead of worrying about him, I concentrated on the food, and making small talk. I'd done it a hundred times back home. The trick was reading what lay behind the smiles, and insinuations. I was out of practice, and had not played the game with Spaniards.

As I had told Nate. It was going to be a long night.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"How is your rum, Nate? Might want to be careful. It's going to be a long night."

Nate looked at captain Ransom and blinked slowly several times. It would be a long night alright. He slowly reached up and touched his chest, feeling his St. Brendan's pendant through his shirt. Nate's grin returned. He leaned closer to her and spoke in a hoarse whisper. "Aye capin ma'am, a long night it'll be. Don't yer be worryin bout me now, I'll be fine, you'll be fine, Red Cat here will be fine. . . . Th commodore, I can't say." As he leaned away, Nate's eyes roller heavenward and back to look Ransom in the eye. Without another word he took up his rhum and finished it off.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat paused, about to eat the dainty piece o chickn on her gilded fork, an glanced Jacky's way raisin a brow. He seemed unaffected as he sat an ate...however she discerned the bit o tension he was tryin t' hide at Nate's words. "Oi Mr. Tar" she spoke t' snap 'im out o his present expression. Jacky looked her way an she grinned , choosin that moment t' sample th chicken an chewed slowly an ladylike...while he waited for her question..