The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

'Fore the Cat had a chance t' jawbone Roberts, I pulled him aside, "We've been given permission t' dock in the mornin'. We'll be dockin' at the pier o' the Navarro family; we're flyin' their colors now." I pointed t' the pennant overhead. "Stones knows the port an Dillard can help ye dock the Relentless."

"Ransom an I will be joinin' Raphael Navarro fer dinner this evenin'. We'll meet ye at the docks in the mornin', as we'll be staying wit' our host t'night."

"I trust after we deliver our cargo, the lads be needin' a little shore leave. I will be aboard t' give those orders."

I excused me self, an left t' fetch a few bits o' kit an sundry items, from me cabin.

When I returned t' the main deck I looked over at Red Cat, "If yer comin' wit' us, ye better get back in that boat." I pointed t' the jolly boat.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Cat seemed undecided as to what she wanted to do, give Robert's a tongue-lashing, or get in the boat. I put an arm casually around her shoulder. "Come on, Cat. Let's go have dinner with the nice Spanish." I winked at Jacky over the Cat's head. "I'm sure one of the dresses on the Rakehell will fit you. Tomorrow you can yell at Robert's all you want, or chase him around Havana, but for now, other things come first."

Jacky walked to the rail, then paused to see if Red Cat followed.

"You're choice, Cat," I said, heading for the rail as well. "Fight with Robert's or put on fancy dress and dine in style with the Spanish Dons." I paused before climbing down to the boat. "Or, you could go back to the Rakehell and keep that new man, Nate, company. I'm sure he'd like that." Then I joined Jacky in the jolly boat.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate stuck with Tunny, helped him to coil cables, among other duties. He stayed below decks as long as he could stand to. At one point, Nate heard Africa talking to others below, so he made his way on deck. There he saw the one ships boat resting upside down. He stepped closer and laid his hands on the upturned keel. "Aye, yer headed fer some fixin from ol'Nate. Yer gonna need a new keel soon enough, no need ta hurry tha along." Nate ran his fingers along a section, paint flaked away and the wood was rough. He knocked his knuckles against the wood and smiled, it was still solid. He brushed his hands off and head to the stores, intent on fixing the boat and painting it up before the sea had its way with it.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat paused, interrupted by her friend's timely move. He mouth were half open..jes abou t' have...a ward 'r two wit ol Roberts.

Ransom's invitation were intriguin...she looked towards th boat...

Then agin..she still hadn't let the big scurvy rat have it fer th last time..she narrowed her eyes at Roberts who just grinned that infernal grin o his..jes darin her t' start summin...then thar were th new man on th Rakehell, an Africa likely feelin a wee too much in charge an was jes so temptin t' vex...she glanced over at th Rakehell...

Wot t' do....

Jacky taunted Red CAt..."Ye never know wot ye may find in the port o Havana Cat...treasure, trouble..good aged brandy.." He knew everything he said were probably a mistake...but how much trouble could a Cat get inter wi a dress on? Jacky grinned mischieviously.

Red Cat simply smiled an headed over th rail...maybe fer a lil while she thought t' herself..an then maybe a sneak o'er t' th Rakehell an make a lil hell fer ol Africa..chuckling could be heard traveling down from above an JAcky and Ransom exchanged looks. Jacky grinned an shrugged..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Wit' the long boat in tow, we headed fer the Rakehell. I began t' wonder if we'd make it t' dinner.

"Aye, a nice little breeze an she tacks sweetly, even wit' the extra baggage." Wit' that last remark I glanced at the Cat. She crossed her arms, gave a grunt an turned her back t' me. This made Ransom chuckle which was enough t' make me laugh as well.

"I meant the long boat, Red Cat." But she was already fumin' about us not lettin' her finish wit' Roberts; he seemed glad t' see her depart fer once.

It didn't take us long to cross the bay and reach the Rakehell. Africa was waiting for us, and I could tell by the look on his face he was not happy.

"What?" I asked, as the three of us climbed to the deck.

"Dat new man say you be on shore 'till tomorrow. Den, here you are with...," he glared and pointed at Jacky, ..."dat man."

"Nate was right. I didn't think I'd be back until tomorrow morning. Slight change of plans." I gave the Cat a smile, then turned to Africa again. "Have Jimmy fetch that frock that Goose was wearing the day you tried to scalp him."

Africa looked shocked. "You not goin' to wear it!"

"No, I'm not." I pointed to the Cat. "She is."

He turned to look at Red Cat, and a wide, very white grin, spread across Africa's face. "I get dat dress myself."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I tried t' assume an almost apologetic look, when I turned t' Africa. But wit' the look on his face an recallin' the dress in question, it was all I could do not t' break in t' fits o' laughter.

I looked at the smirk on Ransom's face, then Red Cat's placid face, I quickly realized the Cat had no idea wot was 'bout t' happen. I mumbled, "I think I left somethin' in the boat."

Nate had found the tools needed to fix the hull and keel of the one ships boat on deck. He had roughed off all the bad wood and paint, cleaned up the keel and smoothed it all nicely. "Nate ol' son, tha be a fine job der, a fine job, aye." He talked to himself and the wood as he made the repairs, finishing it all with a good coating of white lead. "Ahhh, there we be, how's tha feel ol' girl, aye? Fixed right well I'd say. Father, tank ye fer allowin me ta do this fine job." He had been so consumed with the boat that Nate had not seen the captain and her comrades come aboard. When he turned to put all the tools and paint away, he stood dumbfounded. "Nate, lad. Ya been made a fool. Now it looks like ya done telled th lie. Africa'll ave yer neck fer certain now." Nate ducked behind the boat as the big moor turned away from the captain with a grin on his face. Nate swallowed hard and hid himself under the boat, out of harms way he hoped. "Wot ya gonna do now ol' son? Aye, wait til dark an slip over th side, mebee you'll have luck wit thems on shore. Father, what ya doin to me?!?!?" He hunkered down and waited there, trying to be quiet as a church mouse.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As Africa left to fetch the dress for Red Cat, I strolled to the upturned jolly boat and peered under. "Come on out, mate, you're in the clear."

With his characteristic sheepish grin, Nate crawled out from under the boat.

I nodded at the nice job he'd done on the small vessel. "Good work. Might make yourself useful after all."

At that moment Africa returned with a ruffled bundle of apple-green silk sprigged with tiny rosees. With obviouse glee, he handed it to Red Cat. "Here you go, Cat. But, better you take off all dem pistols first. Dey don go with petticoats." His grin, if possible, got wider.

Red Cat stood dumbfounded, with the bundle in her arms.

Quickly, I signaled Jacky to return to the jolly boat, only to discover he was already hiding in it, waiting for me. As I settled to the oars again, I turned my head and spoke over my shoulder at him, "Bloody coward."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I gave Ransom a wot me look, an said, "Had t' untie the long boat we've been towin'! Ye'd didn't think we were goin' t' drag that thing back in t' port, did ye?"

Ransom squinted, an said, "Right..."

"She liked the frock so much she's speechless." I muttered. "When she does snap out o' it, an finds we left her on yer ship, wot then?"

I glared at him, which was hard to do with my back to him. "I think she's dumbstruck, at the moment. If Africa starts to laugh, she snap out of it. When she does, if she wants to follow us, she can take the other boat. I'm sure Nate will be more than happy to help her row. Trouble is, what do we do with him at the dinner, if he does come with her?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The late afternoon breezes would blow us back t' port, so we stowed the oars an set the sails.

I wondered if it would be deja vu all over again this trip; thankfully, there would be no armed greetin' party waitin' fer us on this trip.

"Me thinks there may still be enough time fer that bath." I slipped the dress in t' a haversack an tossed it t' Ransom. I placed my things in another haversack, an slung it over one shoulder.

I liked sailing in the small boat, even if it was in Havana harbor. It was an almost carefree feeling, and I wished it had lasted a bit longer than it did. All too soon we were at the docks, with Spaniards peering at us, wondering who we were and what we were about.

Once again I hoped Jacky knew what he was doing. If there ever was a time when I needed to trust him, this was the time. My life and my ship depended on him. A situation I was not altogether comfortable with.

After he had secured the boat, I asked, "So, which way to the bath house?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

We had docked the jolly boat at the Navarro pier this time, which seemed t' garner us some attention from the locals. But I assured Ransom this was the safest course o' action t' take.

"The bath house is not far from here, we best be on our way." I led Ransom down a few side streets, where we found the bath house I had promised.

I had the dress Jacky had meant to give me months ago, bundled under my arm. He carried fresh coat and shirt. When we arrived at the bath house I paused.

"Since you've already experienced this before, what should I expect? You know me, I don't like surprises, especially when I'm naked and covered in soap."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

One sign said, 'Hombres' an the other 'Señoras'. Despite Ransoms protests we had t' separate fer a bit.

"First they'll sweat ye, 'fore they wash ye down. The massage is optional, but ye may find it relaxin'."

"I'll be here when yer done," I said.

I nodded, not sure about his public bath thing, then took a deep breath and entered the door marked Senoras.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat had been broken from th spell o' th apple green monstrosity as th canvas o Jacky n Ransoms boat snapped in th breeze.

"Grrr! "!!! amidst laughs from Africa, she grabbed Nate by th arm.."C'mon! we're not bein scuttled agin!" CAt jumped down th hatch to her cabin riflin through her sea chest an took th steps in twos back up wi a sack over one shoulder. "Oi! Mr Durant! lively then!" She hopped into th longboat an they rowed after the Captains. All th way Cat spat n growled..'tween salty epithets the words hideous, green and Africa could be made out. Nate rowed an grinned, fascinated wi her tirade. Here an there nodding an adding "aye!" Just t' have summat t' say as he pulled th oars.

The boat bumped th dock an they tied up next t th jolly. Hopin the men peerin over at them assumed they were all t'gether.

Red Cat and Nate jumped out an looked up an down th wharf tryin not t' appear too confused. Nate pointed down a ways. "Maam I'blieve they went t' th bath house. That's wot I heard Miss er...Cap'n Ransom sayin" as he finished his sentence he had t' run. Cat was already dissapearin down th pier.

The room was dim, steamy, and hot. An attendant took the dress from me, and as I undressed, took my dirty clothes and shoved them into a basket. The old woman then pointed to a bench, where two other women were sitting, sweat glistening on their dark skin.

As I took a seat a little apart from them, my own skin lilly white other than my hands and face, I heard a skirmish in another room and a familier voice spitting and cursing. Then a steam-shrouded figure barged into the room.

I grinned. "What took you so long, Cat?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat looked over at Ransom. "Hmph! ye know I don like people fussin wit me! they tried t' take me belongins!" She rubbed her nose and made a face.

"It's a bathhouse Cat" Ransom chuckled "that's what they do"

She though this over a moment.. "Wall I aint wearin tha godawful dress ! " as she began t' disrobe, she mumbled under her breath "I ave me own"...

The hot moist air felt good. Cat swooshed some o th steam.. Suddenly she smiled an swooshed a bit more.."Aye.. I b'lieve I'll like this" flashing a devilish smile she padded over an sat near Ransom.

Nate was glad to be off the ship, away from under the eyes of Africa. The captain had said he was in the clear, but he held some reservations that the moor might still think he did wrong. The trip to shore was amusing to a point. Nate was again happy that the claws of the cat were aimed at someone else. Red Cat had hurried to find the two ship captains, to join them for the offered feast, but after a trip to the baths. Nate had followed her to the place and stood outside. Nate needed a bath, but had no coin left to pay for the services. He also had no clean clothes for afterwards, he didn't even have shoes or stockings. Nate leaned up against the outside of the building and chanced a smile and bob of his head to passersby. on two occasions when a couple had passed, the woman had held a hanky to her face. The gentleman took a moment to fish into a purse and hand a coin to Nate who smiled and bowed, he even remembered a politeness in spanish, "Gracias". Nate stod with the two spanish coins in had and though what he might do. he didn't know how long the others would be, of even if it was his place to join them. Nate looked to the heavens and shrugged. He entered the proper side for men and found that after plenty of hand signals, they would wash his clothes while he was in the bath. Nate handed one coin to the attendant and refused the change offered back. He stripped himself and let the attendant do whatever, as he had never been to such a place as this. Nate was handed a towel and sent to the steam room.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The hot moist air felt good. Cat swooshed some o th steam.. Suddenly she smiled an swooshed a bit more.."Aye.. I b'lieve I'll like this" flashing a devilish smile she padded over an sat near Ransom.

The whole scenerio made me laugh. Red Cat playing in the mist, the two Spanish ladies inching their way further down the bench and looking at two pale red heads as if we'd dropped from the moon, the old bath attendant, who hunched on the floor, and every now and then threw a ladle full of water on the hot stones, creating a hissing cloud of steam.

Chuckling, I commented to Cat, "I'm starting to feel like a boiled potato." I looked down at my white skin, marked with a history of old scars, and with sweat starting to sluice away the dirt from the voyage. "Actually, I kinda look like one."

I grinned at Cat again. "Feels pretty nice though, wouldn't you say? Maybe when I retire I'll open a bathhouse in London. Be kinda fun to see all the noble ladies naked as fat turnips, sweating off their stale perfume. Could charge them a fortune for the priviledge."

Then a thought ccured to me, and my laughter died. "Uh, Cat, where do you think that old bessom took our pistols?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

As they made their way to th bath.. she commented on the Captains worry over thier arms.

"not far if she know wots good fer er" Ransom glanced aroun th room "Let's hope she does then" she said wit a wink as she tested the water with one toe and settled in.

Th Cat sunk down t' her nose in bubbles...an thought. The steamy water were takin away her previously grumpy moods an it even smelled good. She glanced over at Ransom who was just staring from her own tub wit an odd grin. CAt slid up just enough to allow speakin. ...."wot?" * grin* she flicked a lil water th Captains way .

I took a bit off the bar of soap floating in the water, and lobbed it at Cat. It smacked her in the forehead, then dropped with a plop into the water of her bath. "Nice to know my aim is still good."

Then I held my hands in front of my face, knowing return fire was sure to follow — in one form or another.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat laughed an wit a soapy moustache scooped up a handfulla suds an aimed in Ransom's direction. She landed it perfectly atop th Captains head makin her look jes like a fancy custard. The custard bobbed an Ransom made a face. Cat laughed so hard she slid back inta th tub "Wooogh!" She emerged chucklin an th water splashed over onta th floor. "Hehe hope Nate foun imself a bath...I wunner if ol Jacky foun 'is way to a shave? " She added a sudsy beard to th moustache to illustrate an leered at her friend. It was Ransom's turn to collapse in laughter. Recalling their ruse against Tribe, she joked "Oi Cap'n...tell me which 'o ye two looks better in a petticoat aye? " Red Cat ducked the incoming volley wit a splash an a shriek.