The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Ransom an I were almost draggin' Red Cat from the cantina, an she was now drinkin' brandy straight from the bottle.

"Gimme that bottle." I snatched the brandy from the Cat's paw. I looked at Ransom, "I think this counts as liquored up." I knew that meant I had t' make good on me threat. We started t' walk towards the remainin' long boat.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Come on, Cat, ya bloody fool, move your feet. You're starting to draw attention."

Between us, Cat struggled and spit, even more cat-like when drunk than when sober.

Once out of the cantina, I nodded at Jacky, "Yeah, I'd say she's pretty sauced. Think we can get her into the boat without having to knock her out?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Only one way t' find out!" I hoisted the Cat over one shoulder, an started t' carry her down the pier. I shot Ransom a look an said, "Hey, it's easier then draggin' her."

The Cat went limp over me shoulder, thankfully she'd blacked out. Ransom helped me settle her into the boat.

"Ransom, we only hav a few hours 'fore dinner. Would ye like t' help me get her back t' yer ship?"

"Aye, it'll be faster with two rowing. We can dump her into her hammock and tell Africa to keep an eye on her. That should please him. I can also grab some fresh clothes."

I cocked an eye. "Just how formal is this dinner you've invited me to? If I need to impress some Spanish Don, do you still have that dress you wanted to give me? If you do, this might be a good time to put it to use."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Ransom in a dress, conjured up images of a very enjoyable evenin', but why now?

"Aye, I hav that dress in me cabin." I picked up a set o' oars. "I think we should go t' the Relentless first, pick up the jolly boat, so the return trip will be under sail. We can pick up the dress an tow this long boat back t' the Rakehell." I could use some fresh clothes me self.

As Red Cat snored away, I gave Jacky a smile. "So, tell me about Arab bath houses."

Then I took my set of oars, matched Jacky's rythm, and rowed for the Relentless.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I chuckled, "Most sailors bath little or not at all. Havana was indeed more civilized than most parts o' Europe. The bath house was a luxury not t' be missed an certainly required 'fore ye put on that dress!" While me back was t' Ransom, I knew she caught that last comment.

We rowed, the Cat snored an soon we were back t' the Relentless.

Africa glared at the newcomer. "What message?"

Nate looked at the glare he was given by the Moor. He gave him a critical look before answering. "Capin Ransom says she gonna be dinin wit commodore Tar wit th spanish. She be back late tonight or some time tamarra. Yer not ta come lookin fer her ashore lest ye be, ah, yer not ta come ashore." He gave the big Moor a hard look. "Thems direct orders from capin Ransom, I jus be th messenger." Nate watched the look on Africa's face. Saw the internal struggle. All he got as a response was a hard nod. Nate saluted the man and walked a distance forward, away from him. He wouldn't admit it, but the moor unnerved him sometimes. He shifted his cutlass and remaining pistol about, picked up his musket and set it out of the way. He helped shift around the supplies just arrived. In the middle of moving a barrel, Nate realized he had left his bottle of rum in the jollyboat. He let out a hiss and a grumble, knowing it was lost to him for certain.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Th CAt dreamed o Jacky's posterior....

"Wot!!"?!

Red Cat bumped her head on th side o th longboat...The vision dissapeared...it had been upside down anyhow.

"Oi!" th cool sea air an th bump sobered her "Wot!" She drew her cutlass an sprung t' her feet...the Relentless was suddenly, confusingly in front o her. Cat turned an spied Jacky an Ransom lookin up at th deck. "Oi! wot th blazes is goin on! " Flashing back t' th last time she'd come to in such a way... Red Cat looked quickly about her person an brought a hand t' her side instinctively. Feelin where one o Silas' thugs had gotten a lucky stab in. She was relieved t' find 'erself whole. "Mr. Tar!...I SAY MAN..WOT ARE WE DOIN IN THIS BOAT?! AN..WHOT HAPPENED?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Look who's up!" I turned t' Ransom, "Yer right, I should o' knocked her out." I looked at the bewildered Red Cat an said, "Just makin' good on me promise wot I'd do, if ye had too much t' drink."

"Would ye mind puttin' away that cutlass, while we board? I wouldn't want the crew t' be forced t' repel boarders an try t' shoot ye."

Ransom an I turned t' climb aboard the Relentless.

Red Cat stood in th boat as it lurched an bumped against the Relentless. She was completely sober from th shock..an getin moreso with the risin ire..she roughly stuffed the cutlass in her scabbard an stood firm. "Ye....wot?!" right... then wot're ye BOTH doin 'ere aye?"

Cat accepted the hand Jacky extended an as she did paused..pullin her hand back agin.. "JAcky luv..." she wondered if he'd hit HIS head as well.."yer...wearin a dress? 'ow's tha goin t' fool th Spanish?..an I best be comin wit ye" Eyes narrowed as she regarded his hand but didn't move..

As soon as the word dress left me lips, I knew it was a mistake. "Nay luv, Ransom is goin' in disguise this time. The dress be fer her." I extended me hand once more, t' keep the Cat from fallin' as she climbed. She was shakin', so hard wit' fits o' laughter, I thought she might fall in the water.

Ransom heard the remark an scowled at me.

The Brandy still swum in her conscious..an Red cat caught a fit o giglin at th thought o Jacky in a dress agin. Then 'e suggested female clothin be a disguise fer Ransom. More laughter ensued.. Cat took a hand up an still tryin t' make sense o wot happened twixt th cantina an th Relentless she peered over th rail wonderin who th new first mate be. Ransom was grumblin at Jacky f' the comment. Roberts silhouette lumbered down th deck.."Ah!" said Jacky a lilt t his voice, "I b'lieve ye two are acquainted...Cat...me new first mate..

I'd ignored Jacky's remark about me needing a bath, and I'd ignored the remark about the dress. I figured they were payback for yanking his chain about Nate. That didn't mean I'd let the remarks pass.

As Roberts approached Red Cat, I slipped next to Jacky, gave a few exagerated sniffs, and remarked, "I'm not the only one who could use a bath, luv. And if you like, you can wear the dress, and I'll just throw on a fresh shirt and coat." I grinned. "After all, you did look quite fetching in that last frock you had on."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I sniffed me coat, "Aye, a coat an shirt trade is order, fer me as well as that bath."

I chuckled, "As far as the dress goes luv, I'm sure ye'd look better in it than me. I'll fetch it an a few other things, after I've had a word wit' Roberts."

Everyone could see the conversation t'ween Roberts an Red Cat was beginnin' t' heat up.

Nate finished helping with the shifting of supplies and collected his musket left leaning on the rail. He looked across the bay at the Relentless and saw the longboat there. He squinted and thought he could make out the Commodore, Captain, and Red Cat on the deck, along with others. The Red Cat was quite animated, Nate was not sure what about, but if she were angry wit someone he was glad it weren't him. He continued to watch and his curiosity got the better of him. He walked aft and spied a spyglass near the binnacle. Nate traded his musket for the spyglass and focused it on the goings on aboard the Relentless. Nate Watched the Red Cat, hoping he could tell what she was all about.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Africa saw the newcomer with the spyglass. Quickly he crossed the deck and snatched the instrument out of the young man's hands.

"Who gave you orders to spy? Dat glass belong to the captain. You touch it again, you feel the cat!"

The man backed away, stumbling a bit as he went. Africa glared at him, then put the spyglas to his own eye and looked at the Relentless. He could see the captain on board. Once again he turned to the newcomer, took two large strides, and grabbed the man by the shirt.

"I thought you say the captain stay on shore till late? I see her on the Relentless. What else you lie about, new man?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate was angry. Had had just been accused of telling the lie. "Now jus you old on! Un-and me! I tol ye wot capin Ransom ordered me ta tell ye! How was I ta know she were headin aboard th Relentless! New man ta yer ship I may be, I ain't daft!" Nate dangled there, waiting to see what fate the moor had for him. After yelling into Africas face, Nate's angry had subsided just enough for him to realize all the crew around them were watching the scene play out. Nate grinned his wild grin again.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Africa shook the man like a dog with a rat, then let go of his shirt. "You keep that grin, I lock you in the bildges. You touch anything of the captain's again, I toss you to da sharks. Now, go 'bout your work. When da captain gets back, we see who tells the lie then."

The big blackamoor turned to the rest of the crew, who all stook gawking. "I make you all eat Goose's stew for a week, if you don get to work!"

"Hey!" Goose started to protest, but was trampled in the crew's eagerness to get back to their tasks.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate stood and smoothed out his shirt and jacket. Made sure he was all in one piece. He listened to what the first mate had to say which did not quell his anger. Nate looked skyward, "Father, what I said before, I ain't sure I'll agree wit m'self right about now." Nate Stood straight and looked at Africa and saluted. "Beggin yer fergiveness, Sah! I did na know th spyglass were of personal property of th capin, bad habit I have from m'last ship." Nate continued to stand stock still and as the moor was about to speak, Nate continued. "I's waitin fer me orders, sah! Got my work finished as of last I were aboard. What ave ye fer me ta do, Sah!" As he stood waiting his eyes lingered to the binnacle where his musket lay. He'd need to retrieve it and stow it soon as the first mate released him to his work.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Africa noticed the man look toward the binnacle, and saw the musket. He walked purposely to it, picked it up, and turned back to the new man. "This a big ship. I sure you can find somethin' to clean. If not, I put you with Goose in da galley." He held up the musket. "I hold on to this 'til I talk to da captain." He looked hard at the man. "I been told to watch you. I good at watching men who keep foolish grins on their faces. I good at takin' dat grin off."

Tunny, who had been watching the exchange, approached the new man and Africa heard him say, "Better get about doin' somethin' mate. If Africa decides you're a threat to the captain, you might as well throw yourself overboard now. Protects her like a bull terrier, he does. You do NOT want to get on his bad side."

With a nod toward the big blackamoor, and a wink at Nate, Tunny headed toward the hatch to below decks.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

When Africa picked up his musket, Nate almost whimpered, afraid what he might do to it. Nate sighed in relief that the moor would hold onto it for now. Nate grinned a bit when he said he'd take the grin off his face. Nate saluted again and headed off after Tunny. He caught up with him and chuckled. "So, I ain't ta get on Afric'r's bad side. I didn do nuthin wrong an it seems i be there already. Well, what yer need help wit that I can help ya wit?" Nate stuck with the old salt, away from the eyes of the big moor.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I'll fetch it an a few other things, after I've had a word wit' Roberts." Everyone could see the conversation t'ween Roberts an Red Cat was beginnin' t' heat up

Roberts heard Tar's announcement of his being First Mate aboard th Relentless as he approached waitin fer Red Cat. Roberts stood wit a half amused, half sheepish grin decoratin his face an waited. He knew it was comin...expected it...aye th CAt seemed fit fer tirades this trip an they hadn't ee'n passed Havana yet. He stood like an Oak an considered how t' calm a calamitous cat...fortunately Tar was approachin once agin t' speak wit him.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!