The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate stood as still as possible. He only sought to have a name to address the woman pacing in front of him with. Aye that was foolish Nate ol boy .. foolish. They rescued ya an they could just as well have ya restin with those unfortunate from the Eliza. Nate closed his eyes against such thoughts. Had ta put it behind him now. His nervousness caused him to smile and he tried with all his might to belay it. He hoped his speaking out of turn wouldn't cause him too much trouble. Red Cat as she informed him she was called, seemed satisfied with his explaining the arms he carried from the raft. He thought he saw some hint of a smile to the woman though she seemed to be calming only slightly. He wondered what had made her so cross but decided he would do his best to stay on her good side as she said. Nate was grateful when she dismissed him to have dinner with the crew. As he scurried across the deck he mumbled to himself with a look of puzzlement on his face. He tried to figure out just who was what on this ship. The smell of food had his belly talking to him as well as himself and he hurried all the more remembering what the woman had told him.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scowled at Silkie, as I left the Relentless. She smiled at me, sang louder and blew me a kiss. I have never been so glad to get off the ship in my life.

Mister Tar moved to the stern of the jolly boat, and I pushed us away from the Relentless. He had just relieved me as first mate, and yet he was taking me ashore. The small sail caught the breezes as we tacked in to port.

Dillard looked anxiously at me pistol an I said, "I don't intend t' shoot ye, yet." The look on his face turned t' one o' dismay.

"Dillard trust me, if ye ever challenge my command again, know that I will do worse than demote ye."

"I give ye a choice here an now, we can part company in Havana, or ye can serve as a crew member aboard the Relentless."

Dillard stared out across the water, back at the Relentless an replied, "I wish to remain with the crew of the Relentless, Mister Tar." I nodded, "Done!"

With most of the crew below enjoying Ludo's hearty meal, I stayed on deck, the spyglass to my eye. I saw Jacky and Dillard rowing the jolly boat toward shore, not toward the Rakehell. With a curse, I slapped the telegraphing lens back into itself.

From behind me, Africa said, "Why you let dat man make you so mad? Now he have his ship back, why don we jus pull up anchor and leave dis port? Leave dat Silkie too."

"There are times when I wonder the same thing, other than Silkie. I don't know why she has you so spooked. She done nothing but help us ever since we started on this adventure. But believe me, I'd much rather be in Port Royal than sitting here like a cat surrounded by a pack of rabid Spanish dogs."

"Twas da Spanish dat took me to slave. You say da word, and I have da Rakehell out to sea quick as cat running from dogs."

I turned to face him. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, have no fear, I'll be puling that anchor up myself."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Roberts seemed t' be immune t' this charm o' the lass. I turned t' Roberts, "Don't let Silkie take our ship. I need t' get permission t' dock an unload our cargo. I'll take Dillard wit' me. Then we need t' go back t' the Rakehell an meet wit' Ransom."

Roberts were alternately glad t' be made First Mate an annoyed that he wasn't goin wit his new Captain. Bein First mate he knew he needed t' be where he was an in charge. He'd hoped for a chance t' see Havana, but that may still come. Still, he was glad again t' be left in charge o the green eyed lass singin so sweet a shanty. He watched the small boat an it's Captain until it reached the docks. He looked over the crew all too happily tending to their ship. Roberts took th opportunity of Tar's absence an his new position t' light his pipe as he settled on a coil of rope, pistol across his lap, and enjoyed Silkies lilting song.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I looked at Dillard an smiled, "Let's hav us some fun." I pulled the tiller, an we began t' travese the dock. Diego started cursin' an shoutin' orders. The soldiers ran down the dock t' intercept us at our new landin' spot.

I changed course again, an headed back up along the dock. The soldiers rushed t' where they believed we were headin' now.

A large stately lookin' carriage was now runnin' up the dock, as well. The driver pressed the horses through the soldiers flank, an a couple soldiers fell off the dock. The crest on the carriage door was familiar. It was time t' dock.

I stood at the rail, a plate of Ludo's good food going cold back on my desk. The spyglass was once again at my eye, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. "What the...? Has the man totally lost his mind?"

The Spanish soldiers shuffled from one dock to another as Jacky tacked back and forth. Until the impressive coach arrived, then the fun and games stopped.

With a curse, I tossed the glass to Africa, then yelled at Jimmy Cox. "Oi, Jimmy. Get the jolly boat ready, I'm heading ashore."

Africa's eyes got wide. "Don be so crazy as dat man!"

I ignored him, and yelled down into the hold, "Red Cat, get your brandy-snitching self up here. We're going ashore. Bring Nate with you. Time he earned his keep."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I chuckled at the turn of events, shouted to the driver to stop. I did not wait for the coachman to open the door. Bounding out of the carriage and pushing my way past the disoriented soldiers, I spied the barco pequeño.

The barco was within ear shot, so I hailed her, "I was told you were muerto!" The man at the tiller answered back, that it was only someone's wishful thinking. I yelled again, "I trust you are ready to deliver my mercancías!"

They tied off the barco, and I went to greet Señor Tar.

Raphael was a handsome man, wit' a broad face an broad middle t' match. He approached me wit' open arms an we exchanged greetings.

I looked behind him an saw a line o' soldiers, lead by Diego. "I see ye brought company!" Raphael's mood changed as quickly as he turned. He towered over Diego.

"Diego go now, and tell me hermano that cena is at eight and to not be tarde." Diego was trembling, but he did not move.

"Alright, tell Capitan Navarro that Señor Tar will be there, if he still wishes to speak with him." Diego bowed and lead his men from the docks.

I turned back to Señor Tar, "You will be joining us for cena?" Jacky smiled, an said, of course.

"Bueno! I'll will make arrangements and you may dock su nave mañana."

Raphael offered t' send a carriage back t' the dock at seven, but I declined his offer.

He was 'bout t' leave, when I asked, "Raphael, may I bring some other guests t' dinner this evenin'?" He glanced at Dillard, an whispered, "See that they dress better." We both chuckled.

I watched Raphael return t' his carriage.

Red CAt had been settin on her sea chest, wit one foot up, back against th cabin wall starin at a recently found book written in Spanish. "Acquired" from a booksellers just before they had sailed. The words all looked like gibberish as she studied th text tryin t' make sense o any o em. Cat's brow were furrowed as she read an savored a last piece o Ludos fine cookin.

A call came from above in th Captain's voice tha they were goin ashore. Wit a wide grin Cat stowed th book, donned pistols, cutalass an hat an headed off in search o Nate. She found him laughing wit some o th crew over platefuls o food an tankards o grog. " Oi! Mr. Durant! " All heads turned in her direction. "Come wit me sah..we 're goin ashore" Nate's eyes lit up an he stuffed in two more large mouthfulls of food, wiped his face with his sleeve an grabbin his musket followed th Cat who had already dissapeared aroun th corner an towards the ladder to th deck.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I turned t' Dillard, "See, we haven't even officially docked in Havana, an we already hav a dinner engagement!"

The color was startin' t' return t' Dillard's face. "If Havana is anythin', it isn't borin'. We need t' get cleaned up, but first I think we need a drink." Dillard nodded.

"If we walk t' the beginnin' o' this pier, there's a little waterin' hole, where we can get that drink." I got no argument from the lad, so we walked.

With one last, quick glance through the spyglass, I saw Jacky and Dillard heading for the end of a pier. I handed the glass back to Africa, then climbed down to the jolly boat. Red Cat and Nate were already picking up oars.

I pointed to the pier where I thought Jacky was heading. "Make for that dock. Commodore Tar and Dillard are taking a stroll."

Nate pushed the little boat away from the Rakehell, then started to row. Red Cat, adjusting the armory in her belt, also got into the rythm. With the three of us pulling hard, the jolly boat sliced through the light chop of Havana bay. As we got closer to the pier, I looked behind me to see where Jacky had gone. It was a small building with the word Cantina over the door. It was one of the few words I knew of Spanish.

I rowed with renewed vigor, cursing under my breath. "Damn and blast, the man's going in to have himself a nice little drink!"

Red Cat swiveled her head around. "Whot!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The jolly boat started to turn as Red CAt dropped her sweep and faced towards the wharfs. "Wot!!?? He leaves us sittin wit all th Spaniards abou an he's off to th tavern straight away?! " A stream of expletive laced grousing filled the air. CAt pulled on the oar once again. "Jes wait till we get thar..ol commodore Tar has som explainin t' do! " She made a face "E' jes waltzes aboard th relentless wit Roberts like it's high tea! We nearly founderd in th storm t' save 'im ..an now 'es off t'ave a drink!?" She looked at Ransom "Jes ow does th commodore happen t' be so close wit the Spanish then aye?"

As Dillard an I were 'bout t' enter the cantina, I felt a feelin' at the back o' me neck. "I feel a change in the weather comin' on, or worse." I said. Dillard looked at the clear sky, an then stared blankly at me.

We opened the door t' the cantina an were greeted wit' shouts, "Hola comodoro Tar!"

We tied the jolly boat as close to the cantina as possible, while Spanish dock workers stared at us. As we climbed out of the boat and up the dock ladder, I whispered to Red Cat, "Keep your hands away from your belt. I don't want to get hauled off to a Spanish gaol. Not until I have a few words with the Commodore."

Once on the pier, I nodded to the dock hands, and walked quickly toward the cantina. Nate stayed close, his eyes wide. No one stopped us, but everyone inspected us as if we'd come from the moon.

Not used to women sailors, I thought, then opened the door of the cantina and the three of us stepped quickly inside. It smelled like beer, sweaty bodies, and vermin. And there was Jacky and Dillard, both with a mug in their hands. If I didn't know I'd get arrested, I'd have been sorely tempted to put a ball between Jacky's eyes.

I sauntered over, and in a cold voice, asked, "Having a nice time?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate stuck close to Red Cat and was sorely tempted to put a hand on one of his pistols, but the captain had warned them not to act hostile. He tried to remember any spanish words, but any that he did remember were less than polite. "Ah, Red Cat, capin, ma'am, sah, ma'am. I ain't got th tongue ta speak with thems folks." All he could do was grin and wave a friendly wave to those around them. The captain had found the two men she was after and spoke coldly to the one. Nate watched for a reaction from anyone in the place that might be bad for them. He inched closer to Red Cat and bumped into her, nearly making her stumble. He grabbed her around the waist, helping her to recover. She shot him a look and he gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry Miss Cat, I jus bumped ya, didn't mean ta knock yer over." He realized she was still giving him a look, then realized why, he still had his hands around her waist. Letting go slowly, he backed away a step or two and paled a shade, afraid her wrath would be unleashed on him. Luckily, her attention was redirected back to the two men, Tar and Dillard. Nate breathed a sigh of relief.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat was studyin the faces about th room. Aye, gente antipático. she thought. Normally her hand wouldna have been far from either pistol 'r cutlass. T'were a good thing Ransom had spoke as she had, or she may have done poor Nate an injury when he nearly knocked her t th floor. Cat was about t'advise him o that fact an warn him that he ought t' know better.. like Roberts an not make sudden moves aroun her when she were tense. But she instead noted his hands about her waist..he noticed her noticin and backed slowly away. Wit just a half grin she turned back to matters at hand.. Red CAt didna want t' miss the ensuing conversation betwixt th Captains. "Aye here we go agin" she thought an th half grin turned full in a mischievious manner.

I stood as Ransom an company approached our table, "I was just tellin' Dillard we better not return t' the Rakehell empty-handed." I gestured t' the bottles o' champagne, dark rum an a vintage brandy, in the middle o' the table.

Ransom still looked liked she'd come t' drop me where I stood. "I've arranged a trade fer a barrel o' ale fer ye crew, as well!" Her shoulders drooped a bit.

"We had the good fortune o' meetin' Raphael Navarro, an we will berth at his dock t'morrow; from the Navarro docks we can unload our cargo." I slipped beside Ransom an pulled out a chair fer her. She sat wit' out respondin', an I said, "Ye hadn't fergotten that we hav business in Havanna?" She nodded.

I opened a bottle o' champagne an poured a glass fer Ransom. I added a tot o' rum, which was dark as molasses, t' her glass. She stared at the bubblin' brew, an I said, "Where are me manners, did ye hav dinner plans?"

Incredulous, I sat and let Jacky pour me a glass of champagne. Champange? In a seedy tavern in Havana? Where there hell had he found it, and who was Navarro?

He's doing it again, I thought. Jacky is trying to sidetrack me from the point. I set the glass down and glared at him over the table. Keeping my voice low, I growled, "It might have been nice if you'd let me know you had friends in Havana, instead of letting me and my crew sweat over coming here. Yes, we have business. Am I to assume this Navarro is a business associate?"

I picked up the glass, drank down the champagne, then set the glass back on the table. "My plans for dinner were to celebrate the fact that I'd put a large dent in that thick skull of yours, for scaring the bloody hell out of me!"

There was a muted chuckled. I swiveled my head around and snapped, "What in blazes are you laughing at, Dillard?"

Red Cat snorted, and Nate looked too nervous to do much of anything.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

With Red Cat's attention off of him, Nate slowly wiped his brow and listened in on the conversation between the captains. He didn't hear all of what was said, but he saw the gesturing to the bottles on the table. Nate could go for a drink right about now. He stood near the bar so inched closer and made eye contact with the man behind it. He rummaged in one pocket of his jacket and came up with some copper and one silver coin. Nate motioned as if he had a jack in his hand tilting to his lips and held up the coin. The man behind the bar smiled and held up a bottle of dark liquid. Nate asked very quietly, "Rum?" And the man nodded. Nate put the coin on the bar top and the man handed him the bottle and an earthenware cup. Nate looked around the tavern and made sure things were well before easing the cork out of the bottle and sniffing. Ol' Nate smiled, it was definitely rum. He poured some in the cup and drank it down. He grinned and relaxed as the flavor and burn filled his mouth and throat. "Oh aye, tha be good." He held the cup in his left hand and reflexively placed his right on the butt of a pistol. He lifted his eyes heavenward. "Thank ya father for puttin them to save me."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat huffed as the Captain talked. She knew Tar would be crafting an answer to appease Ransom. Snorting again, this time in amusement anticipating the exchange..Red Cat sauntered over to th table. Arranging her weapons she sat heavily, choosing a cup wit one hand an the Brandy wit the other. Cat put one heavy boot agin th table an leaned her chair back until it was near in danger o fallin as was her usual habit. As she removed the cork an poured, she glanced over at Nate who'd purchased 'imself a Rum. He also let a hand to his pistol. "Oi!" she whispered huskily in his direction wit some sternness. He looked from th ceiling to her. Cat gestured towards his pistol wit a nod o her head. Taking advantage o th lack o English in th place.. "Belay tha sah" She shot him one more look an went back t' pourin a generous cup o th fine plum colored liquor waitin for Tar's reply.