The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Aye, Diego!" I yelled back. "Wot are ye doin' aboard my ship?"

The young man was Diego Garcia; apparently, now lieutenant Diego Garcia. The jolly boat bumped along side the hull o' the Relentless, an Diego ordered his men t' drop a rope ladder t' us.

I decided t' try a little mock disdain, an bristled as I climbed aboard. "Lieutenant Garcia, ye still hav not told me yer business aboard my ship!"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... "An wot do Commodore Tar think he's gonna do this time if they git theirselves captured aye?!"

I glanced over my shoulder at Red Cat. "I don't think Jacky would walk into a trap. He's got something up his sleeve, and he's not telling us about it. Think, Cat. He's been here before. He knows something or someone we don't. Why he doesn't wish to share that information with us, I don't know. However, if and when he comes back, I'm damned sure going to find out! Until then, we wait."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The young man was sweatin'; so, I moved closer, "Do I look dead t' you?" I didn't wait fer his answer, "Ye go an tell Capitan Navarro, that I wish t' dock t'morrow an unload the cargo for the tradin' house o' Navarro." I walked along the nervous line o' soldiers, who were starin' at their lieutenant.

Diego seemed unable t' speak, "Ahora! Lieutenant Garcia."

However, if and when he comes back, I'm damned sure going to find out! Until then, we wait."

Cat stared at Ransom in silence a moment... Opened her mouth t' say summin an closed it again.

.."Fine" tossing a last glance across the bay.. "Cap'n".. she strode off mutterin "always gotta wait...far to much waitin an not enough doin..." Though she knew Captain Ransom's words were wise an that she had her ship an crew first an foremost in mind. As Red Cat walked the length o th Rakehell, intendin to head back up an wotch th goins on at th Relentless..she passed the new man Nate. He wore a smile an...arms. Impressed that he had managed to resecure his personal weapons and had th brains t realize now would be a goode time t' have em. She spoke as she passed. "Mister Nate!" ...he snapped to attenntion " Aye!" an she let the mistaken action pass. Normally she'd have grinned but th Cat was curious."Walk wi me" she continued wit serious expression t' stride towards th binnacle an he fell in step. Hustlin despite his longer legs to match Cats determined pace.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I watched Cat stomp off in a huff. Couldn't really blame her. When she barked at Nate, I had to smile. Poor man. He was about to learn what an angry Cat was like to deal with. No telling what he thought, at this point, of his rescue, or the crew he found himself with.

With a sigh, I walked to the helm and spoke to Africa, who was nervous as any cat. "We sit where we are and wait for Captain Tar to return." Before he could speak his protest, I stopped him,. "No, I don't like it either, but we have no choice. If any Spanish vessel heads our way, you dive below, and stow yourself in that secret place that only you and I know of. Understand?"

Africa nodded his head, and kept his attention on the harbor. I returned to the rail and looked toward the Relentless, wondering just what was going on aboard Jacky's ship.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Silkie an Roberts had climbed on board, an looked surprised at the turn of events. "Let's see who is still on board." I grabbed Roberts arm, "Don't kill anyone, if ye don't hav too."

I looked over an saw a tremblin' dutch sailor, who lept over board, an decided t' swim after the Spaniards.

Roberts had helped Silkie up to th deck enjoyin the benefits o bein last t board behind th lass. He nodded at Tar's request not t' kill anyone...yet. "Aye.."

As the quakin Dutch crewman hit th water wi a splash, Roberts chuckled, the sun glinting off more n one gold tooth. A few more on deck looked decidedly nervous and he was enjoyin th feelin. Roberts casually draped a meaty hand over his pistol

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

It looked liked Spoons an the remainin' mutineers, had gone ashore. Just a few dutch sailors remained.

Spoons knew this cargo was spoken fer, who did he think would dare take goods promised t' Senor Navarro? In Havana?

I had t' go below, an see wot had happened t' those still loyal t' me. I turned t' Silkie, "Silkie, stay topside an keep watch." I hoped the soldiers would not return.

Roberts turned to th lass who stood firmly. "I'll be within earshot" Her expression softened a moment which more'n caught his attention. Then she straightened up an stood guard over th deck. Roberts turned to two Dutch aboard. "Awright..you two! They shrunk back visibly at his words. Roberts grinned an evil grin "Take us below t' the prisoners...r ye might find yerselves in th brig! Make haste!" He headed down after the Dutch an Jacky towards where the remaining loyal crew might be secured. "How many do ye figure t' find Mr. Tar...alive that is..?"

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Something was happening on the main deck, I could of sworn I heard Mister Tar. "Must have been dreaming."

Stones, Smithe, an Jonesy were aware something was afoot, too. If Spoons or one of his lackeys would just get close enough to this cage... Someone was coming!

Nate fell in beside the woman and walked briskly to keep up with her. He steadied his cutlass with one hand while low carrying his musket in the other. He had never carried so many arms at once before. Usually a pistol and cutlass, or a musket and cutlass, but never a brace of pistol, a cutlass and musket. Upon reaching the binnacle he set the butt of his doglock musket on the deck and stood straight while the lass paced infront of him. He took it that she was angry and he hoped it was not at him. He stood stock still and followed her with his eyes. He began to notice details of her face and form even in the dim light and began to relax a bit when she stopped and turned to him. It was a moment longer until he realized she was looking at him. He jumped and straightened, looking straight ahead at full attention, hoping her anger would not lash out at him. He prayed.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Roberts pushed the two dutch sailors down into the hold. They landed at the bottom o' the stairs, wit' a thud that would o' woken the dead.

We came upon the brig, an the faces o' the caged men were ashen. Dillard seemed t' recover his speech an said, "We thought you were dead!"

I turned t' him, "Ye know, I get that a lot." I thought I saw a tear glisten on Stones' cheek as I turned t' locate the keys. Keys in hand, I said, "Let's get ye out o' this cage. Then ye can tell me wot else ye thought ye knew."

With the Rakehell anchored and secure, and with nothing much to do until Jacky, Roberts and Silkie got back, I called for Ludo and spoke to him in Italian.

"Fix the crew a fine meal, will you. Don't let Goose near a pot or pan while your working, or he'll try and sabotage the food. We need something grand to take everyone's mind off the fact that we are surrounded by Spaniards."

Ludo's weathered, expressive face lit up with a smile, showing blindingly white teeth, then he raced below, singing. The tenor notes of some aria echoed throughout the ship.

"Well," I thought, "at least one of us is happy."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

After we had filed out of the brig, Roberts was about to shove the two remaining dutch sailors into the cell. I said, "I'll vouch for them, they were blameless." Roberts shot me a look that said, who'll vouch for you? I moved out of his way, when Mister Tar shouted from behind him, "Belay that Roberts. Listen up, Roberts is me actin' first mate. Dillard ye'll fall in wit' the crew."

On the weather deck Silkie managed to "keep an eye" on things. When Jacky came topside again she had the few men who had remained with her practically feeding her peeled grapes ...so to speak. They were working hard cleaning his ship while Silkie sat singing a tune, her feet up and a grog in her hand. Her song stopped but her voice carried the lilt of the song on each word as she spoke, "Jacky m'lad, tot yad appreciate a clean ship now det ya took er back!" she winked at Jacky as she walked towards him. "Would ave sent word t'd Rakehell buot ken't trust dees lads alone." She nodded at the dutchie she was passing and pursed her lips kissing the air between them. "Least not out of ear shot." Jack looked around at the sailors happy in their work. Silkie continued to speak, "Tain't maken em do nuttin dey wouldn't ban doin anyway, jest avin dem enjoy it lots more."

Red Cat paced about in front of Nate. She warn't really sure why she drug him along..other than curiosity..an she needed someone t' gripe to.

He looked a bit nervous an stood still f' th most part. She were right fumin still..CAt paced an stopped in front o him "They jes..." she looked at him a moment, sputtered an started pacin again. Stopped once more, an gestured toward th Relentless in th distance "Bloody hell! I should be....instead o walkin abou....I mean t' say..." Nate chanced a glance r two directly at th grousin Cat. She saw th confusion on his face.."Gahh!" ..she wagged finger at him "Ye jus mind yerself abou me sah..don't be fallin in wi that lot o...o...grrr!!! No tricks an no one gits hurt!" He had a slight smile tuggin one corner o his lips an was tryin desperately t' hide it. Red Cat wasn't sure if it were nerves r' he found her tirade amusin. Were she not so aggravated, she mighta laughed at her own self. She stopped facing Nate and just regarded him a moment. Cat clasped her hands behind her n rocked back on her heels. "Soooo...Mr. Nate" She tilted her head sideways a bit. "Ye come from a merchant...why be ye so heavily armed aye? An have ye a surname sah?"

Nate opened his mouth and the grin he was trying to hide presented itself. "Aye, th Eliza o London were er name. Cox'n's mate I were. I gots all these ere weapons from what were left o th ship. Lucky me found much floatin about." A haunted look filled his eyes, or what Red Cat could see of them in the dark. "I took this musket off a Davey. Thought he were alive, but he weren't. Th pistols were in a barrel. I hoped it were food, but it were full o' pistols full o sawdust. I had th' whole barrel, but it tipped off me raft days ago. An this cutlass, I took from th' stores when we were cuttin away th mainm'st." He stopped a short time and just breathed. He blinked several times and looked at Cat. He smiled. "Names Nate, Nate Durant. Wot's yers?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Ludo's arias got louder the longer he cooked. I had no idea what Italian trajedy he was singing, but every crewman on the Rakehell had a grin on his face, most probably because when the singing stopped they knew they'd get a fine meal.

Goose had come to me, fuming as usual. Rather than listen to him, I sent him aloft to keep watch on the harbor. He could fume all he wanted up there, and no one would hear him.

Personally, I kept my spyglass on the Relentless. The easy way Jacky had taken back his ship had me curious - very curious. The only violence I saw was a sailor jumping overboard, so at least Roberts was keeping control. And Ludo wasn't the only one singing. I could see Silkie lounging on the deck while around her the sailors worked busy as bees. Very strange.

Yes, Jacky luv, I thought, when you get back, there will be few questions I'll want answered.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Names Nate, Nate Durant. Wot's yers?"

More starin...just whom was askin the questions here..? If it warn't fer th mans infernal smilin, she may have gone off like a powder keg agin. Cat turned about fer a moment..stared out at th bay...heavin a sigh she turned back...it were a fair question. "Well then Mr. Durant, I'm known as Red Cat.." she stepped closer an the grin dissapeared. "Ye....may address me as .." her voice trailed off. This was a question she'd never needed answer before..Cat's reputation had always preceeded her. Did she really wont t be called M'am? Miss Cat? ..."Aww blast it! ..I'm Red Cat" He smiled. "Aye!" and snapped off a salute. CAt laughed finally. "Ye need not be standin on such formality wit me Sah. I'm nil an officer 'ere on the Rakehell, but a guest of import. I may have me own ship....but she's a long ways off from here" Red Cat turned again to th swells in the bay an was lost in thought fer a moment r two. Her reverie was broken by a particularly loud Aria driftin from the Galley..Ludo..

"Mr. Durant...I do believe we'll be havin dinner soon, ye best muster wit th crew an make sure ye get some. T'aint every night we has such fare aboard."

I looked at Silkie an huffed, "If yer done playin' queen o' the castle, ye can remove yer spell." Course I thought they do look content. I'd heard the song o' the siren me self, course me siren had red hair an she weren't a sealkie.

"Belay that last request Silkie, the lads will sleep t'night. Sing on." I thought, if fer no other reason than her singin' seemed t' delight the crew an annoy Dillard!

Roberts seemed t' be immune t' this charm o' the lass. Dillard looked like a dog that heard wot' no one else could hear.

I turned t' Roberts, "Don't let Silkie take our ship. I need t' get permission t' dock an unload our cargo. I'll take Dillard wit' me. Then we need t' go back t' the Rakehell an meet wit' Ransom."

I motioned t' Dillard, "Care t' join me in the jolly boat, I need t' return t' the Rakehell." The singin' must o' been worse than the thought o' boardin' the Rakehell, fer I didn't hav t' repeat me self. The lad almost leap overboard an in t' that little boat.

"First t' port an get permission t' dock."

Silly man, Silkie thought to herself, what would I want with a ship. These lads were easy to sway, they had no idea what she was up to. She simply made a request of each to help make the ship ready for the captain. She didn't need to sing, she liked to and it bothered Dillard!