The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Red CAt came grumblin back up towards the main decks. She was tempted t' grab a belayin pin an just whack anyone wot got in her way..then she laughed cause she'd never be able t' reach africa's thick head. He'd just make some smart comment an the two would be launched into one o' their spats again. "Hmph!, shoulda fired on them in th boat when we had th chance. Boarded an took em prisoner..justa bunch o daft natives"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I overheard Red Cat's mumbled complaint, and smiled. "Not all that daft, since they have managed to take two of our men prisoners, even if Jacky did manage to escape. I would suspect that right about now, Robert's is waking up to think he's actually died and gone to heaven."

I fingered the little bag of corpse powder, then spoke again to Africa. "Like I said, don't let ANY boat come close to the Rakehell, even if whomever is in it are waving a white hankie and bawling their head off. Keep them away from the ship. If they choose to ignore your warnings, sink them!"

Africa nodded, then barked at Tunny to prepare the larboard swivel guns, fore and aft.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Ransom gave orders t' sink any uninvited guests. Aye, good call, I thought.

The CAt rumbled up on deck.

"Oi, Red Cat. I don't suppose ye'd want t' stay behind while we go t' rescue Roberts?" I thought she'd crack me in the head wit' a belayin' pin fer that remark.

I walked over t' Ransom, "Pardon, permission t' go ashore an fetch back Mister Roberts, Captain." She scowled at the captain part.

After scowling at him over calling me captain, I replied. "Right, let's get this escapade over with. It will be the four of us - you, me, Red Cat and Silkie. My crew stay on board."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red CAt stepped dramatically alongside Ransom and stuck her tongue out at JAcky fer his comment that she stay behind... Naturally, follwed by a wink an a grin. She were happy jus t' be doin an not standin about. There were still th matter O the Relentless an she wondered how Jacky Tar could stay so calm when someone else or ..elses had their greasy mits on his ship. Mayhaps TRIBES poison was still swimmin in his veins..

The wine helped and Roberts quickly came to, slightly dissapointed as the beautiful lasses halved in numbers. He figgerd he'd been seein double from the poison, mild as it were.. the natives all spoke in an unfamiliar but not unpleasant manner and seemed to be discussin r arguin about summin. He mentally searched his person an felt that his weapons had been removed. All bu the dagger in his boot. Aye..th CAt was right when she taught him tha one.. still he was tough and certainly more powerful than the tall but comely maidens about him. Glancing quickly around Roberts saw no male counterparts and found his hands warn't bound, nor his feet. He wondered at th rest in th boat..just then one lass put a hand to his cheek. Roberts figgered th others on th' Rakehell would fare on their own fer awhile..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I felt a strange calm standin' on the deck, wit' out the burden o' command. Me fate an future was wit' this lot, an there's wit' me. Several o' the crew were now on deck in ladies fashions. I smirked, an thought wot a strange lot we appeared t' be.

The shore party descended into the jolly boat t' rescue Roberts; I hoped we would soon be on our way t' Havana, wit' Roberts aboard.

Red Cat grabbed th boats small mast as she stepped over supplies an made her way aft t' the sternsheets. The sky would be light in a few hours an they needed to move quickly. She sat and checked her powder and cartridges. Why was Roberts causin her so much consternation on this trip? She pictured the big pirate draped in treasure an furs, knowin him he were right enjoyin his native court while they risked all t' rescue the limey...rat ridden.. "Meh! ...fool...he'll see..they'll have is head if he's not careful" she grumbled under her breath an shook off such thoughts, turning her attention instead to th shore as the boat began to slice throught the darkness.

I had to admit, in the early dawn darkness, and with the crew dressed as some of the ugliest women I could imagine, the whole scene reminded me of a macabre play. The four of us, mostly silent but for Red Cat's mumbling, took up the oars and rowed toward the strange island. I just hoped we didn't have to drag Robert's, kicking and screaming, from this supposed Eden. If he fought too much, I wasn't adverse to knocking him on his thick head with the hilt of my cutlass, and dragging his limp form back to the jolly boat. I grinned to myself and thought, "I bet Red Cat would love the honor of that little task."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Day 12

Been on what's left of 'Eliza of London' for too long. Food gone, fresh water gone, wine rancid, rum almost gone. Powder still dry enough, plenty of shot left. Two candles left for the lanthorn, ate the third last night. Will keep a light burning until I'm out of candles, haven't seen land or ship since the storm. If I don't find myself on land or a ship finds me, I know not what I'll do, heaven help me.

With the last of the ships logbook and ink he wrote as he bobbed along on the ocean in the darkness in a pool of light cast by the small lanthorn strung up on a makeshift mast. closing the tattered pages he looked out into the darkness and noted the slightest bit of light creeping from the eastern horizon. "Well Nate ol' son, hope for a godsend. Land or ship, matter neither way." He looked out into the darkness, cupped a hand to his ear hoping he might hear anything other than the lapping of water on his raft. Nothing. He let out a heavy breath and walked to the center of his little world and sat heavily. He picked up his musket and tried to wipe off some rust, checked the prime in the pan. He laid it back down and picked up the canvas oilskin and pulled out his pistols, checked them to be sure they were in good shape. Put them back in their canvas and pulled out his cutlass. He felt the edge, gave it a swing or two and put it down. he leaned against the mast at his back and lowered his head. All of a sudden his head shot up and he jumped up. Did he hear a ships bell ringing out? He turned, cupping both hands to his ears. Yes! there it was off behind him! A faint ringing! "Ahoy there! Ahoy Ship!" he bent down and grabbed up his musket and made to shoot it in the air, but stopped. "No no no, keep it for a surprise, aye." He patted the musket like a favorite pet and laid it back down and began yelling again. "Ahoy the ship! Ahoy! I be saved! Saved I say! Ahoy!" he began to dance around on the raft. "Saved, saved saved! I'll not die in the sun! not as a derelict on the waves! Hahahahaha! Woah!" he pranced around and almost fell off into the water. he stopped his dancing and retreated to the mast, hanging onto it and waving to what he could now see, some ships lanterns way off in the distance.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Silkie felt like she had not rested at all. Dragging herself and her sorry hyde off the ship to the boat she was glad that she was seldom required to row when she could communicate with the water. Once again she dipped her hand in the water and began her low nearly inaudable humming. There was nothing to report, a log drifting from the shore, a few schools of not so "bright" fish, lots of thoughts on the mornings first meal ...wow ...such determined thoughts, honestly there isn't much difference between the smallest plankton and the larggest shark just the sharks kill sheds more blood.

The next thing she was aware of was the bottom of the boat being dragged into the sand on the shore. They were here but what would they do now? Silkie reported what she had found from the water which was rather usless to them ...or any one for that matter.

Red Cat sigh'd inwardly at th lack o any new information from Silkie.."Well ye ..unh!!..ye tried lass" She said as she stepped one foot inta the mucky shallow an helped drag th boat upon shore. The small party ducked low in th darkness an headed for the trees. Jacky led the way retracin wot he could remember back towards TRIBE's encampment. As they made their way through the brush, here an there glowing eyes set upon them an things buzzed past. "Oi Jacky, step lively..I don't like this" Red CAt whispered. She took up th rear, dagger in one hand an pistol in th other tryin t' see through th darkness. She chuckled quietly wonderin how ol superstitious Roberts would fare on such a trek. Just then a vine grabbed at her foot an she near jumped outter her skin. CAt cocked her pistol an let out the breath she'd been holdin.."Nay, I nil like this a'tall.."

"Shhh! " Silkie hissed "I'm tryin t listen t' them creatures"

Rolling her eyes dramatically Red CAt silently mimicked her friend and the four continued through the fog an brush..

I heard the Cat cock her pistol, "Red Cat!" I hissed, "Half cock that pistol, lest ye stumble an shoot one o' us by accident!" I mumbled t' me self, "Trigger happy pirate..."

I didn't think we'd meet wit' armed resistance, an left me own pistol in me belt. We were gettin' closer t' where the tree houses lie. But in which tree would Roberts be? A house t' house search in the dark could be fraught wit' dangers. We might hav t' wait fer daylight an some indication o' where the TRIBE might be keepin' 'em.

Red CAt grumbled but half cocked her flintlock ... "Waallll don't go blamin me if ye git poked fulla holes!!...them natives hide in th trees ye know..'r in a pit in th ground..ye go about all secure an tha's when they git ye"

Spookin herself CAt crept a lil closer t' th others an peered inta th darkness

In the near dawn Johnathan Roberts stepped from the treehouse onto the porch..still not sure in his fuzzy head if he were among th livin...cause the past few hours....well if that be heaven he'd take it..

As th big pirate sat and pulled his clay pipe from its nest in his belt,

he smiled the smile of a man more than satisfied..

Roberts considered as he struck his flint and and watched the warm glow of th flame, that he'd always thot he'd wind up in th nether world bein a pirate an all..

He chuckled an drew in th smoke as he considered mayhaps it was all a dream..

I stayed Red Cat's hand as she half-cocked her pistol. "If they use darts, you'll never get a chance to use that, half-cocked or not."

From the darkness of the jungle I saw a brief spark of light. It flared a bit, then went out. I turned to Jacky, who had also seen the small flame. "So, do you think it's Roberts, having a bit of a smoke after all his...exertions?"

At that moment, the briefest hint of tobacco smoke drifted in the early dawn air. "I'll be damned," I whispered, shaking my head.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Bloody fish! Got mae tinkin uv a fresh catch dey do!" Silkie grumbled in a whisper. "Kent we wait till mornin t'fetch d'lad?" Heads in front of her waggled and Cat expressed dissatisfaction from behind. "E's takin a smoke! Don't look t'bae in no hurry t'mae! Let's have us a good breakfast den ask d'lasses fer our man back." Silkie saw Jacky's shoulders shake as he kept his laughter silent. Encouraged by that she continued in hushed tones, "E's a strapping man ...likely t'be able t'give em wot de wonts in a madder uv hours!"

A few feet further and there was the distinct sound of a twig snapping under foot behind her.

Nate continued to call out many times to the ships lights he saw in the distance. the slight breeze this night brought him the sound of the bell but was now pushing him away from the ship. He stopped hollering and picked up the broken sweep he had used as a rudder and unlashed it so he could paddle with it. as the light grew he paddled his way closer to the ship. He stopped paddling and waived the sweep on the air. "Ahoy there! Ahoooyyyy!!" He heard some voices faintly and some rumbling sounds. He could barely see some movement on the deck of the ship and was just about to call out again when the flames and thunder of a single cannon filled the quiet of the early morning. The wicked words that erupted from Black Nate's mouth went unheard over the roar and the splash of the cannonball was so close it nearly upended his little raft. Without another word he paddled to save his life away from the ship. Thoughts of returning fire stopped his movements for a moment and made him laugh before he began more frantic paddling. "So bloody much for a bloody rescue from a bloody ship."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Roberts sat on th porch wit his heavy black boots hangin over, drawin on his mind along with the apple tobacco in his pipe.

He pondered... which he warn't given to..Ol Jon was a man of action 'e was, always easier t' understand a straight attack than all that thinkin stuff wot Cat had pounded into his unwillin brain. Still...he had learnt it's merits, an even begrudginly agreed that it could be a better plan than a fist 'r a blade t th gut at times... tho that still be his preferred method.

As he tried t' piece events together his eyes roved th jungle an his ears listened fer th stirrin o several tall an comely native wenches. Jest as he made t' head back in an see if said Natives could cook as well as they ..... Hell he was hungry.

He heard cannon fire in th direction o the Rakehell, lookin quickly behind him it seemed none had stirred in th tree hut. He glanced down an now heard th all too familiar hushed grumblins o a certain pack o thieves in th distance..

Roberts moved agilly despite his size an headed down th ladder which he had found hidden amongst th vines. He lit out towards Ransom, JAcky an crew wot he figgered warn't too far.

Africa listened to the frantic calling from the man in the boat. But he had his orders, and since the boat kept coming closer, he ordered Jimmy Cox to aim the swivel gun at the small vessel.

Jimmy eyed the big African man with a raized brow. "Ya sure ya want ta do this? He be yellin' somthin' awful, and don't seem too dangerous."

"Captain tol me ta fire on any ship dat come close to the Rakehell. Don care who be in dat boat. It ain't comin' no closer. Fire dat gun. NOW!"

Jimmy lay the punt to the touch-hole, and the sound of the shot rang out over the water and a large splash erupted a few feet short of the target.

"Reload!" Africa ordered.

The gun was reloaded, and Jimmy waited to see what the man in the small boat would do. When he began to row away from the ship, Jimmy heaved a sigh of relief. "He's headin' toward shore."

"Good," Africa replied. "But keep dat gun ready, in case he change his mind."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

All turned shoreward at the sound o' the Rakehells deck gun reportin.

"Wot! Ransom! Yer lookout said there were nil fer leagues abou from th tops! Th Relentless couldna made 'er tha quickly! " She paused listenin for return fire...but thar were none.. "Blast Captain! wot's got inter ye crew! Someone's gotta go back an see that it warn't a warnin r distress signal" CAt looked to Ransom's less than pleased expression. She spoke more slowly "Less'n ye know any reason they may have fer revealin our position at this hour" As the CAt turned back to look into the trees she noticed th glow was missin "Damn, we lost Roberts..damn Pirate.. Ransom, do ye make any sense o th fire? signal? warnin?" Havin no desire t' keep muckin abou in th trees, an every desire t' be on the pitchin decks agin, Red Cat began t' make backup plans in her head.

Aye, the shots caught us all by surprise, but it were only two shots.

"Red Cat, simmer down lass!" I hissed, "The only thing that will give away our position, is if we start arguin' an fussin' right here."

I whispered, "If it were another ship they'd o' returned fire, mayhaps the TRIBE tried t' board the Rakehell!" Good man, that Africa, I thought. I smiled an nodded at Ransom, she seemed t' hav reached the same conclusion her self. Ransom pointed at the last known place we saw Roberts, an we edged our way closer t' his position.

I stopped dead in me tracks, somethin' or someone was comin' straight at us, at a full charge; this time I drew me pistol.

Roberts flung vines aside as he manuevered roots an rocks hopin there were no quicksand. He opened his mouth t' call to th others but never spake a word..a shot rang out an he felt himself drop...only he kept droppin. into a pit. As he lay on his back his hat fell atop his chest havin followed him down as he fell. Through a break in th trees th moon just barely illuminated th space. He grasped his tricorn wit one hand an saw th faint light poke through a fresh hole from pistol shot. He rolled to one side an noticed he'd barely missed a nasty pike stickin up from the bottom o the pit. Roberts felt in his pocket fer th coin he carried..as always th good luck talisman be there. He brought it out, kissed it an quickly put it away agin. He pulled th pike from its footin an slunk back into a darker corner o the pit. "Blast an damn" he muttered "So close Roberts ya fool..best wait fer daylight"

Red CAt stood at ready. She had dropped th spent pistol and drawn cutlass ready t' finish off wotever had been on th attack. All this darkness an creatures truly had th Cat spooked. Smoke from th spent powder still hung about an no sound 'r movement came from the brush several yards ahead. Save fer th initial crashin sound as summin big hit th mossy earth.