The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

The cage swung around creaking on the branch from which it was hung. The lone and scraggly figure wagged a finger towards the branches. He had a raspy voice and had to repeat himself to be heard over the tree frogs. "Well there's a rope and a latch up there Jacky Tar. If ye loosen it this cage'll fall and break open I'd wager! Then I'll tell ye where there be a boat." He waited for the reply from his rescuer with an anxious look on his face.

Tribe sat by her image of Jacky and waited....

Sisters of TRIBE watched intently the slight movement in the boat. They leaned forward and listened with ears trained to hear tiny sounds.

The special one who understood many sailors languages turned and said "They go ashore what we do?" The others huddled and spoke in their language. Then they spoke together "We are Tribe, We are one" and watched the intruders for their next move.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weighed his words and replied, "If I drop that cage, it may not be the only thing that gets broken!" The cage was at least twenty feet off the ground, but he was insistent that I try.

I had misgivings 'bout droppin' the cage, as I climbed up the tree. I found the latch, an said, "Oi, ye never did give me yer name or tell me who put ye in this cage. If I open this latch, the cage will fall. Can ye brace yer self?"

Red Cat stopped squintin inta th darkness .. she glanced for a long moment towards th Rakehell who's aft lanterns were still lit. Studying the slight movement of the change of watches upon it's deck and then turned t' th others. ."Aye, I'm wit th Captain..we must keep headin fer Jacky, but we'd best ave two o us keep a wotch on our silent friends ou there. " Cat shifted stealthily to face the unknown boat and it's tall inhabitants, cutlass still at her feet. "Oi wot ye say Roberts.....Roberts!!!" Suddenly annoyed, Red Cat kicked Roberts in the back of the heel to get his attention as he was transfixed, staring out across the water with a spyglass he had suddenly produced from among his acoutrements. Noticing the big pirates rapt attention, Red Cat grew concerned and lowered her voice to a whisper once again "Jon...wot is it?....wot ye see? r' they takin aim at us ere?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Johnathan Roberts assumed for a moment that he had either gone completely mad or was party to a sighting of mythical manifestation. There in the distant boat sat and crouched 6 beautiful women clad most indecently in little more than native dress and each, well.. close to his own height. As he studied the silouhettes with distraction most alarming, he imagined what he would say to each one..imagined himself king among an island of many... "Roberts!!!!" * kick * Suddenly shaken to reality, Roberts almost completely ignored a certain impatient CAt scrabbling at him about one thing or another..but through the amorous haze of his thoughts he heard the frightened tone in Red Cat's voice. It sounded simply like concern..but Roberts knew better the subtle differences in one he understood so well. "Eh?" he turned to face the others and Cat. "Nay lass..they ......they be just...driftin about and wotchin us same as we be them. There are six in all..and so tall and..." Roberts acknowledged the fact that he was in a boat with three jumpy and strong willed women and wisely decided it was better..far better to say no more. He changed his tack. "Er..aye Cat..wotever ye an th Captain an" He threw a sheepish look in Silkie's direction, catching a blaze of defince in her emerald stare. "an o course Miss. McDonough ere..wotever ye decide. aye.." Roberts turned his glass again to the waters and was lost in thought..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Silkie glared at Roberts and raised an eyebrow when he said he would follow the majority decision but she chuckled to herself. She knew his type. Turning her gaze into the darkness a knowing smile curled her lips. She herself could behave in very much the same manner if the tables were turned. One likes to dream about the best life has to offer!

The one of us who has eyes so keen as the hawk at night smiled as she examined the intruders. This boat was different. This boat had many women on it. TRIBE preferred that there be no women. Preferred that the men be hungry after their long voyage. This craft had three females and only one male. The large man is desirable but the others did he belong to one of them?

The intruders started for the shore. The sound of a sea bird was heard above the surf followed by the answer of another inland.

The one who knew the old ways rose from the place of the carving and stealthily made it for the shore knowing that the magic was strong and Tar would be thwarted in his progress.

The young beautiful one remained in the tree house waiting for her welcoming into womanhood.

TRIBE woke feeling the effects of the large coconuts that had been dropped on her and felt the fool for leaving such things within the reach of the male. None have ever wanted to escape except the one in the tree. He was ...unusual. Tribe preferred not to keep captives but this man would be their undoing if he were not kept to himself. they stood at the call of a seabird at night and headed to the shore to join their sisters.

The drums continued in their pulsing in the distance, the heartbeat of this exotic and lush island.

"On Three, mate!" I bellowed t' the man in the cage. "One, two, three..." I struck the latch an t' no ones surprise the cage plummeted t' the ground.

I shimmied down the tree t' the ground. The force o' the cage strikin' the ground had indeed flung the door open. The occupant o' the cage looked a bit shakin' but unharmed. He staggered from the cage, an I thought it only fair t' let the man catch his breath 'fore we attempt t' find his boat.

When the jolly boat reached shore, we all jumped out and drug it up the beach. I heard drums from somewhere inland, and their pounding matched the pounding of my heart. Where was Jacky? The only indication that he'd been here, was a smoldering camp fire.

The other boat, bobbing on the swells, did not follow us, but stayed as it had been, its occupants silently watching. The whole scenerio gave me the creeps, and heightened my fear that something bad had happened to Jacky and we were too late to save him.

With weapons drawn, I turned to the others. "Anyone got a plan?" Then I pointed my pistol in the air and fired a shot, telling Jacky, if he was still alive, that help had arrived.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

A pistol shot rang out. It was close, I turned back t' the stranger, "I believe I may not need yer boat." Silkie must o' returned wit' crew from the Rakehell. "I believe a rescue party may be waitin' fer me on the beach. Yer welcome t' follow me, I'm sure there's room fer one more." He looked me in the eyes, smiled an shook his head. He thanked me an we went our separate ways.

I raced in the direction from which the shot had come. I hoped t' get t' the beach 'fore any o' the tribe did.

Roberts still seemed in a daze, and had nothing to offer. Silkie and Red Cat kept watch on the boat off shore. Before any of us could decide to go into the interior, a running figure emerged from the jungle and sprinted towards us, waving his arms and yelling, "Get in the boat!"

Without thought, I ran forward, grabbed his hand and, sure that he was unhurt, rushed with him to the boat. "Go, go, go!" I yelled, as we frantically pushed the boat into the water and jumped in. The oars flashed and I fired another shot into the air, hoping to alert the Rakehell that we needed back up.

To my surprize, before the shot died away, I saw the prow of the Rakehell's jolly boat, with Africa in the bow. He must have come when I fired that first shot on the beach. I shouted at him, "We've got Captain Tar, but keep an eye out on that other boat. So far they've left us alone, but that may change soon."

Side by side, the two boats cut through the swells, heading for the Rakehell. I turned to Jacky, kissed him, then punched him hard on the arm. "So, ya big lummox, who was the woman?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

It was good t' see familiar faces again. Roberts, Silkie, Red Cat an Ransom all in the same boat. I turned t' Ransom an said, "I see Silkie found ye in short order but I'm surprised t' see Roberts." I was glad t' see he was unharmed, and wondered how the rest o' those aboard the Relentless faired.

I saw the ever faithful Africa was close by, an noticed that we were bein' watched by wot I assume were sisters o' Tara. "Those native lasses in the canoe, I believe are related t' me captors. The woman of which ye asked, looked like them." I was ready t' put some distance 'tween them an us, an I helped man the oars.

I was glad it were Ransom an not the French, or members o' the tribe, that found me. I thanked her an me mates in that little boat, as we rowed towards the Rakehell.

"Aye, Silkie I knew ye'd be back, an I didn't willingly leave the beach." It wasn't clear t' me how I got off the beach. I suppose the tribe members must o' hoisted me in t' Tara's tree house, but it was all a bit hazy.

Ransom glanced over at the women in the canoe, an then her gaze fell on me again. "You didn't go willingly?" She said. Her remark made me chuckle.

Red CAt had been unusually quiet since JAcky Tar came runnin like his boots were on fire an they headed back towards the ship. She sat in the front o the jollyboat not movin an inch save t run a finger back a forth across the lock o her pistol. It was a habit when she wanted t' be ready but was waitin Catlike ..studyin summn in th distance..

She'd blanked out almost all else an was studyin one spot on th water.

Africa's boat was nearly at the Rakehell and they would come up alongside in a few moments.

Roberts still imagining himself draped in tall, tanned island women, had been lost in thought. The day, the storm an several other things which begged attention from his overworked mind, blended together by fatigue which finally set in. He felt CAt touch him gently on the back..caress him. His eyes closed a moment and he relived some distant memory. Bringing it to the forefront of his thoughts from some far distant place it had dwelled. He wondered at the touch..perhaps it was compassion as she feared the worst when he was left alone on the ship , perhaps it was something else..but she had moved to the front f the boat..how could he have missed that. How could she have moved so quickly and not rocked them at all? Johnathan in the middle of his musing, nearly jumped out of his skin when again, a hand caressed his back. Roberts froze as if he were made of stone. Was he just tired? He moved only his eyes..Silkie was at the sweeps with JAcky and Ransom was too far away. A superstitious sailor like he was..would be too frozen to speak. So he sat silently, every nerve trained and adrenaline waking his sleepy brain. Red CAt spoke and he sought his tongue to answer..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

The fog had thickened a little and the only sound heard was the slap of the sweeps. Red Cat never takin her eyes from their sentinel in the distance, spoke. The subject of her scrutiny in th murky distance, had been the other boat. She feared them sneaking aboard th Rakehell in th moonless night..She had lost th other boat fer a moment r two but again found it an a chill run up her spine as she formed th words.."Thar were six... I number only five now..Roberts..wot ye make o this?"

The one who is of the ocean and swims in silence below the waves had slipped from the canoe with one goal in mind. The large man swatted at what he at took for a bug biting at his neck but too late he realized that it was no bug. A small dart stuck in the skin of his neck. She propelled herself towards him, her long arms like tentacles darted to the large man in the small boat. The boat rocked violently and before anyone knew what happened he was in the water with her. She kept behind him her arm hooked around him from under his arm to the opposite shoulder keeping him under the water as long as she dare then pulling him up to for air and submerging him before he could cry out giving away their location to his companions. Quickly the sleep magic took effect, this potion of the tribe, soon the man slept in her arms as she took him away.

As CAt turned toward Roberts fer an answer..the boat lurched violently threatening to throw all overboard. Roberts fell over backwards and disappeared below the water right before their eyes. Red Cat stood and stared wildly at the water her flintlock already drawn looking for something..anything to point it at...,

But there was nothing...

The surface of the water began to calm reflecting her eyes wide with terror. The only sound the gentle slap of swells against the hull. The others moved close to the edge and the boat once again threatened to tip over. All began to shout questions searching the surface and fearing the worst.."What hapened?! Couldn't be a shark"Ransom half shouted. as she stood. "Nay Captain.." Silkie said with a strange look in her eyes..her hand was again in the water..she locked gazes with Jacky.."t'were one o' them..." Red Cat never heard the rest of the sentence..abandoning pistol for cutlass she was in the murky water with a splash..frantically she searched with her arms, feeling for anything..fearing being pulled to the depths herself. Red Cat came up gasping for air "He's gone! he's gone!!! He's got t' be here sommere! give me an oar! summin ta feel with!" She stopped as all were staring at her in silence and the chill of the water began to soak through her clothes.. "Come back in th boat lass "Silkie said slowly "e's been taken ..." she looked across the water with and eerie glow to her eyes.."by ..them.." All eyes were upon Silkie as she translated whatever the water had told her senses.."Not while I'm livin" Red Cat growled through clenched teeth as she hauled her soaked form back over the edge of the Jolly boat.. "Captains..we must make fer shore" How well r' we armed?" The tone in he voice belaying the desperation she felt, Cat looked towards the land which had been shrinking in the distance, with the Rakehell so close behind them and waited for an answer scanning the horizon for any movement at all..

I had me back t' Roberts when they had taken him. The next thing I knew, I was helpin' a wet an shiverin' Red CAt find her seat in the boat. I shot Ransom a look that said don't turn this boat around.

I turned t' the CAt again, an said, "You'll be needin' dry clothes, an we'll be needin' a plan 'fore we venture off t' free Roberts." I paused, "Sides wot makes ye think he'll be willin' t' come back wit' us, just yet? Let the man hav a little shore leave wit' the ladies."

I turned back t' Ransom, "There'll make nice wit' him, til' he tries t' leave 'em."

I could feel the CAt's icy stare on the back o' me neck, an I said, "Aye, we're still goin' back t' the Rakehell. But we'll be headin' back t' the island soon enough, CAt."

I smiled at Ransom, "So do ye hav some extra ladies clothin' aboard yer ship?"

The whole incident had happened so fast that I wasn't sure what to think. The island and it's strange inhabitants had me a bit spooked, which in turn made me angry. How dare they take a member of the crew! But with no idea who or what we were fighting, I couldn't risk all of us being taken. Not until I understood more about who was doing the taking.

With a sympathetic look at the raging Red Cat, I answered Jacky. "Yes, there are extra sailor's clothes aboard, and the Cat is welcome to them. Let's get on board the Rakehell before any more of us are pulled into the water. Then we'll decide what to do."

I turned to Silkie. "Can you tell us what we're up against? Are they more than human? Like you, do they have powers we don't? Before we charge back to that island and all be captured, I'd prefer to know more about who we are fighting."

With a cocked brow I turned back to Jacky. "And, just why would Roberts not want to escape his captors?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silkie blinked dumbly then focused on Ransom.

"I ken only tell ye' wot d'sea knows or cares to notice. It hasn't the same cares as we do. It wonts only to continue and makes little uv d comin an goins uv ott-ers."

Sillkie wasn't sure what she said was clear to the others.

"Dem det live on d'island r'female. Men are few, n'ef I ear the sea rightly, d'waves say dey nil stay ere."

Her hand remained in the water but she fell silent hoping to glean more information from the mass of beings speaking as one. Trying to decipher what was important and what was not.

"Dose wot live here take dem from d'sea n'dey ner return." She cocked her head and closed her eyes tight listening to the unheard voices of the water. "Like d'ones wot float or'd woter"

Pirates are a superstious lot, and I had no reason t' believe the tribe women were anythin' but women. So I said t' Ransom, "The women o' this island are big women, I'll grant ye that luv, but they're just women."

I too was awed by how quickly they'd taken the big fella, Roberts. I recalled the darts the natives in the jungle used t' stun their prey. "Nay, these woman hav no powers, but they do hav knowledge 'bout different arts." I noticed a feathered dart in the bottom o' the boat, that lay near where Roberts had sat. I picked it up t' show t' Ransom.

I smirked at Ransom's last remark 'bout Roberts not wantin' t' escape, an answered, "Cause he doesn't know he's a prisoner yet."

"Oi, an the ladies clothin' be not just fer the CAt, but fer the crew!" I says, as we glided next t' the Rakehell.

Red Cat was grumblin loudly "I aint wearin no wimmins clothin!! Don't like bein wet ..but me own garb wet'll be jest fine! Don't need ta be in no fancy dress ta be killin natives!" Red Cat had pulled her cutlass from her scabbard an stabbed it into the deck to punctuate her point..Just as she took a breath to launch further into her tirade, wot Silkie had said sank in.."Nil come back??!!" She shouted in hysterical anger.. Red CAt grasped her sword an turned back to the edge of th boat makin ta jump in an head fer land..just as she did JAcky Tar extended an arm an caught the CAt by her soaking wet coat...she struggled ta get free