The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Bloody hell," I muttered. "Where is Jacky? We can get him aboard the Rakehell, and then, by God, we'll deal with the mutineers. Silkie, can you tell us where Jacky is before you go to you hammock? I know you're tired, but we need to find him as fast as we can, if we want to find out what happened to Roberts and the others."

Next to me, the Cat, her eyes wide, stood with her brandy glass paused in mid-air. It had hung there as soon as Silkie informed us that Roberts had gone overboard.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I ken get ya t'Jacky n'I'm not jus tired I'm ummmm ...I'm still gathering my tots. Jacky? Right det way." Once agian Silkie pointed in the same general direction "Det way, on land." She shook her head and rubbed her forehead once again, blinking away the fog of confusion. N'I nil know who went or'board. I wern't there, twas d'voice uv d'sea wot tol mae n they aren't too partial to d'voices of human kind less dey er dead."

Red Cat stood for a moment taking in all that Silkie had said. She was incensed at the thought of Jacky's crew turning on him and as she slammed her cup down on the rail, the air was filled with a lengthy spate of swear ridden ranting about such scurrilous bilge rats and on and on..she slowed as the thoughts of Roberts entered her mind..once Silkie had mentioned someone going overboard...much worse used the word death..Cat knew Roberts could handle himself in almost any situation..but Tar had already been forced or himself gone over the rail. She wondered in a flash just how many crew were involved. Wondered wot he was up against..and just how alone he may be.

She knew Roberts was a strong swimmer and the Relentless warn't far from shore, but suppose he had been shot while in the water or injured in the fall....

Red Cat looked up from her anger and panic and grabbed Ransom by the lapels..looking at the Captain urgently. "Captain! Jacky be on shore an as much as I worry fer his welfare, he mus be ok r' Silkie'd said otherwise. We must go t' th Relentless! Now!" she took a ragged breath in the midst of her rapid speech.

"Lord knows wot Roberts be up agin! It's a tough lot Tar 'as among his crew this trip. I spec he took a few on due to whar we be headed an wot e may be up agin. Nay.. they had other plans tho. " She stopped a moment, her expression changing. Her voice dropped to almost a whisper as Cat fixed Ransoms eyes with her own. "..Roberts..thick as molasses in winter he is, e's not a man t' give up nor give in an would take on a whole ship fulla the scum if 'e found himself agin em. The bast'd could get 'imself killed.." Her voice trailed off and Ransom though she almost saw Red CAts eyes begin to well. Cat shook herself off and released the Captain's coat. "We needs t' keep 'im from doing summat stupid..the big dumb oaf" She thought a moment huffing in her frustration..."On sekin thot we'd best collect Jacky first.. John'll nil listen t' me when 'es like tha. We need a man along..but Ransom..we must set sail now! Thar's too much at stake.." She swept a hand .. "Includin yer fine ship here if the rats 'r succesfull" Red Cat trusted that her friend would see the reason in not losing only the Relentless, but possibly Roberts and any loyal crew left in the bargain. There was no guarantee that if the ship were taken they wouldn't turn on the Rakehell, an damaged as she was it would be a tough fight.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Roberts woke in the dark...the back of his head throbbed, his neck felt cold from what he assumed was his own blood trickled down. Conciousness was slowly returning and as the big pirate made to bring a hand to his aching head, he realized he was bound with rope. Roberts lay back as quietly as he could, unsure if he was alone and not wanting to invite another of what he now assumed was blow to the head which had felled him. He lay in the darkness which was familiar enough by sound and smell to be the hold of the Relentless. He remembered heading down the hatch. Roberts lay and thought a moment , gathering both wits and strength.

So...there were more crew who had lain in wait for him....cowards...dogs..they would pay..the two he'd left on the decks earlier had gotten off easy.. As Roberts worked a hand loose his anger began to swell....

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Once Red Cat had let go of my coat, and got herself under control, I made my decision. I tunred to Silkie. "Guide us to the island that Jacky is on. We pick him up first, and then he can tell us what happened, and who is in on it. Then we beat quick as we can after the Relentless, and take the ship back. We'll need Jacky for that as well, as he knows that ship better than anyone, and might also know where the bastards are taking her."

I put my hand on Red Cat's shoulder. "We'll get Roberts back, safe and sound. As you said, he's no idiot, and has a strong sense of self-preservation. He also knows we won't abandon him. We'll find him. In the mean time, we make repairs to the Rakehell on the fly, and while we're at it, we'll all think of some nice little punishment for those who mutinied. A very nice little punishment, to be sure."

"So, Silkie, show us where Captain Tar is. We've no time to lose."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Silkie pointed again in the same direction. "Det way." Ransom took a breath to speak but before a word was uttered "Ifin ye wonts a navigational direction your out o,luck it nil works det way." Silkie took the last sip from her glass and stood abruptly, she swooned for a moment, Cat and Ransom both moving to catch her but she was just as quickly standing on her sea legs. "Wot er we waitin fer?" she headed to the door.

While secretly thinking that "Det way" was a little imprecise, I instructed Africa to head the ship in the direction Silkie indicated.

"Silkie, do you remember if there are any reefs or low cays around this island? I don't want to risk running the Rakehell aground."

I looked toward the bow and shouted at Jimmy Cox, "Jimmy, get aloft and keep an eye out for reefs, or anything else we might run up on."

"Cat, can you get our bearings while I go below and get my chart for these waters. I'd like to know just where that storm blew us, and where this island may be." I smiled at Silkie. "Other than "Det Way."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I nil recall if'n dear were any reefs ...quite honestly I didn' take d'most direct route. Tis hard to keep focused on a task and nil play in d'surf ..plus watchin out fer predictors." Silkie shivered. When we gets closer I ken swim t'd shore n'back ifin ye' wonts. Fer now, sleep, if'n ye' could find mae a hammock."

A coil of rope lay where Johnathan Roberts had been tied...

Up on deck another mutineer was about to meet his fate and surrender his uneeded weapons....

Roberts came top side through the main hatch and found himself facing a musket and several pistols.

"Mister Roberts, you sir are no longer a welcomed guest aboard this ship." He didn't look surprised and I could tell he was sizing up his odds. "I could have the crew shoot you where you stand. But I need your services. I've had the jolly boat brought along side." I paused, "I need you to give a message to the captain of the Rakehell. Tell her, if she pursues us we will sink her ship and kill the remaining crew loyal to Mister Tar." I motioned to one of the crew to bring out a bound and gagged Dillard.

Red CAt headed up the rigging with ease and placed a hand to her tricorn, pulling it lower against the sun which had begun to peek through the clouds. In the distance, she made out a few small out islands, suspected JAcky Tar must be on one of em. Hoped Silkie hadn't lost that bearing in her transformation...

Far ahead she could just make out the sight of something.

"Mister Cox!" she called across to Ransom's man in the tops.. "aye?!" came the reply.."Have ye a spyglass? Wot ye make o tha shape in th distance yonner?" CAt pointed out the triangular shape barely visible against the horizon. Jimmy Cox shifted his position and pulled his glass from his belt.

Long moments which were only mere seconds passed. "Ang in thar Jon..we be comin fer ye luv.." Cat said quietly under her breath.. waiting for the lookout to confirm her sighting. "Wall?!" she quipped impatiently, putting a hand to her brow and straining in the direction they sought. Hoping to see some sign.

"Aye! It's th Relentless 30 degrees t' Larb'd an just on th horizon! She's not far from land!" came the shout back. Both Red Cat an Captain Ransom acknowledged and shouts went to the tiller an the gunnery crews as the deck sprung into action. Red CAt dropped from aloft into the fray as the canvas was bein unfurled and headed for the tiller where Ransom's first mate Africa stood.. bringing the ship about.

With my fury over the mutiny that had overtaken the Relentless, I concintrated on the ship slowly getting closer. The Rakehell was fast, but I was surprised that the Relentless hadn't gotton further ahead of us during the storm. I hadn't expected to actually catch her before she made harbor in Cuba. What the devil was going on aboard that ship? Who had planned the mutiny? Surely not one of Jacky's long-time crew members. What had happened to those who stayed loyal to their Captain?

As we got closer, Jimmy shouted out again. "Oi, there's a jolly boat in the water headin' our way." He took the spyglass and looked. "It appears ta be that Mr. Roberts."

"Is he the only one in the boat?"

"Yes ma'am," Jimmy called back.

I shouted at Tunny, "Prepare to take him on board and secure the boat. But keep your wits about you. It could be a trap."

As Red Cat came flying down the rigging to help Tunny at the starboard rail, I thought to myself, "All right, Mr. Roberts, let's just see what your story is."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Having gone up for one more sighting, Red Cat dropped to the deck once more an rushed over where Tunny stood. As she approached, she calmed her demeanor and threw a foot upon the rail in a casual stance. Motioning to another crew member to help secure the boat which thumped against the side of the Rakehell. Peering over the edge, she was greatly relieved to see none other than Johnathan Roberts. Yet she held her emotions inside. He appeared to have no weapon to his back, nor any other part of him and looked mostly unharmed. Yet she knew the look on his face. Roberts was in a dangerous state. "Let me speak t' him first" Cat said in a low voice and headed over the side into the boat and to a very silent pirate..

Roberts stood in the Jolly with blood in his eyes. Through the haze of his anger he saw Red CAt drop into the boat beside him. He was in the mood for no man..nor Cat.

She simply looked at him. He noted her hand upon the hilt of her cutlass and almost laughed inspite of his mood. Aye she knew him well ..and she was right to be ready to threaten some sense into the man. Still he stood like stone.

Red CAt was a bit nervous..it were close quarters t' be wit him in this state. She stood an glared at the man...for a long moment. Until she saw the slightest change in his eyes. Still he did not move. Didn't blink. Just stood and smouldered like slow match.

She shrugged an turned, keeping him in her peripheral vision ( at times in a fit of rage Ol Roberts seemed t' not recognize people and had been known t' lash out first and ask questions later. Which made him a good pirate, but one t' be wary of even for The CAt. ) She sat in the stern and flicked imaginary dust off her breeches until she heard Roberts make a noise, shift his feet. Without looking up she spoke "Fancied a smaller boat did ye?"

Roberts erupted into laughter so loud he surprised even himself. Somehow Red CAt always managed to resist his most immoveable moods. He wondered that she had never feared him when most others..hell..all others he encountered did at one time or another. Then...there was the way they met..their fateful past..

Roberts flopped heavily at the Cats side and leaned elbows on his knees bringing his face to his hands and rubbing away the stress and ache from his recent abuse. Sill leaning forward, he turned to face her and for a moment saw the relief in her eyes. She had feared him dead, he was now sure of it. But likened to him, Cat quickly masked the emotion and it was gone. "I'd have had th' lot of em by now." he started slowly.."They've got the few remainin O' Tar's loyals an they mean t' kill em, if we follow th Relentless" Red Cat cursed at this statement. Roberts took a deep breath wishing for some strong drink and continued "I' b'lieve they mean t' kill em either way..we must have a plan. " Roberts softened for a moment and faced her "Cat.." he just stared at her for a long moment. She didn't think she'd ever seen him look so torn..well except for once long ago. "Go on Jon.." she prompted.. wondering wot could affect th big man so. "Tar..." he started. Roberts had realized how close in friendship she'd become with the Captain of the Relentless and feared giving her this news the most.

" Luv he'd been shot..I heard someone go over after him...I don't know if the man be livin or dead" He paused feeling for a second time in his life as helpless as he'd felt that night by her bedside with Ransom an Jacky.

Like a cannon shot had gone of just beside her ear silkie was wide awake and sitting up in her hammock. What was it? She listened and could hear nothing unusual, then she heard the thump of a boat against the hull. ROBERTS! She knew he was alright. All signs of fatigue gone Silkie ran to the weather deck and looked down over the rail. Seing Roberts and RedCat in the jollywatt she smiled upon them "Roberts! Yer alright! Tank d'gods!" and crossed herself.

Silkie's shout interrupted the silence which had hung between Roberts and The Cat after his news about the Relentles and the uncertain fate of it's Captain.

He looked upward and Red Cat followed his gaze smiling at Silkie.."Aye..told ye he'd live t' tell th tale" she punched Roberts playfully "aint over yet Jon...Jacky be quite alive an well. He's a bit ehrm..marooned at th moment. We were abou t' rescue him forst an then come after ye" She wondered how much he'd heard as he was still staring up at Miss McDonough..

"Come on then..let's get ye aboard an fill in th others.."

Roberts was momentarily disarmed by a voice familiar to him. He turned his gaze towards the deck of the Rakehell above and was met with the sight of Silkie McDonough. Her face welcoming and framed in sandy curls and the brightening sky. Red Cat had said something. He vaguely encountered in his mind that Jacky Tar must be alive or she'd not have sounded as she did, though her words were not clear as he stared upwards at Murin.

As he climbed over the rail and straigtened, Roberts was met by the smiling befreckled face of the sandy haired lass who had stolen his attention.

Red Cat huffed as she climbed unassisted behind him, hopped down wit a thump and wandered away a few paces muttering summin.

Murin had come a bit too close in her concern and found herself dwarfed by the big man as he stood. When their eyes met, her cheeks reddened and she stepped back looking down to her shoes a moment. Roberts tried hard to quash a smile. She was a lovely lass.

With a roll of her eyes, Ransom began to question him and he explained that he believed there to be some loyal crew stil lurking about the Relentless due to the armed stance of the mutineers though they were alone in the waters.

Africa had soon joined the small group. At the Captain's orders, Ransom's steward brought over rum for all and they stood silent for a moment, calming their nerves with a rare drink on deck. The clatter of repair still going on all about them. Crew passed by and stared at the group, but with a look from Africa..moved on about their business.

Roberts took a deep draught and held his tankard forth again until it was filled. Without thinking, he fished into his vest and was relieved to find his clay pipe had survived the fall. As he drew in and released a breath, rings of smoke circled his head and he appeared to calm just a bit. The fire leaving his eyes between the drink and his pipe. He glanced again at Silkie..

After Robert's retelling of the mutiny, I was more furious than before. Spoons! No wonder the man had got me drunk that evening so long ago. His false act as the loyal cook and friend had me boiling. I very much looked forward to roasting him alive on a spit and tossing the carcass to the feral dogs of Port Royal.

"Mr. Roberts. After you've enjoyed your pipe, and are through making moon eyes at Silkie, you can help with the repairs. Once we pick up Jacky, we'll know better how to retake the Relentless."

I turned to Africa and snapped, "Put us back on course for the island, and get that work crew hussling. Once Captain Tar is on board, we may have to let the old girl fly. She can't do that with a broken wing."

Africa nodded, then returned to the helm, barking out orders as he went.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The ocean laps at the shore just beyond where Jacky has built his fire for warmth against the night and smoke to signal the Rakehell. Silky has been gone some time and he is wondering if the sealkie's forgetfulness has let her stray from her task.

Warm breezes shake the palm and vegetation behind him and

...TRIBAL DRUMS...

echo off the mountain that is the center of the island as the light in the sky begins to fade once again.