The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"We're ta look for a new spar and canvass," he said authoritatively. " 'Twas a direct order from Herself, so I'll be off looking for those soon as this last barrel is lashed. And that canvass will need to be sewed for a new squares'l." He cocked an eye at the woman. "You any good at sewin'?"

"pff, sew," Jane huffed at the man. It never failed, there always had to be one crew member who just drove her crazy. The last sailor that made her want to tear her hair was Ioan, now this Spoons fellow. Maybe it was something about the Rakehell. Did she just attract irritating men?

"'bout as well as ye ken cook I'm 'fraid but I'll do wot tha captain thinks's best." Jane replied, throwing her shoulder into an over sized crate to knock it into place beside its neighbors.

Goose was getting really tired of people insulting his cooking. No one had died from eatin' it, had they? Good, solid vittels, just as his mum made for him. He glared at the woman, and purposely let her wrestle the crate without any help from him.

"I been cookin' for this crew long before ya got here. Guess I'll be cookin' long after yer gone. So I'll be hearin' no more of yer insults. If ya can't sew, ya could'a just said so."

With a huff, he slogged his scrawny carcass through the water and went in search of a new spar and canvass.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tar’s fire was started before she arrived. Once at Jacky’s side she dropped a large fish beside him. “Tot ya might bae ungry” She hoped Jacky didn’t mind the bite marks on the thing. Her eyes sparked an unnatural blue-green. She flopped down close to the fire. “None fer mae, I’m full.” She laid her stockings and shoe near the fire and felt woefully at a loss with only a dagger for a weapon. “I need sleep.” Silkie curled up beside the fire under the damp seal hide. “Wot’s d’plan?”

I looked at Silkie's catch, wit' the large teeth marks in it. "Aye, I see the catch is fresh. But do ye mind if I cook it first!" I chuckled softly.

She looked exhausted, I couldn't ask her t' go out now. We needed t' get aboard the Rakehell, if we hoped t' catch up t' the Relentless.

"Ye rest an we'll plan later." I muttered, "I wish I knew where the Rakehell was."

"I'll find it wit li'll effort. Tis easy t'find a ship on d'sea ...just needs t'know wot questions t'ask ..." She mumbeled "...and who t'ask. ...soon enuf ...soon enuf." With that she started a gentle snore that soon grew to ponderable loudness.

"Where's Goose with that blasted spar?" I snapped, to no one in particular.

Like most storms, as fast as it had come on us, it fled. The wind was now no more than a good stiff breeze. The repairs to the mast and sail could be made and then the Rakehell would attempt to catch up to the Relentless.

"He still down in the hold," Africa replied. "Tryin' to hide, so he don have to do no work."

"Well go down and drag his skinny hide up here and get that squares'l rigged up. We need to find the Relentless."

Africa rolled his eyes "Why? Dey don care bout us. Dey leave us to da storm."

I poked the big black man in the chest. "Jacky wouldn't leave us. Something's happened on board that ship and I need to find out what it is. So you go below and get that worthless cook of ours and get that sail up. And be quick about it."

He smiled. "Aye, I'll be bout it. No need to go pokin' this po man."

With a chuckle, I watched the "po man" head below to retrieve Goose. But as I turned to look toward the horizon my smile died. What had happened aboard the Relentles, I wondered? Was Jacky in some danger, or worse, injured or dead? I had to know.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Roberts was outnumbered two to one and the turn coated crew members of the Relentless were only slowed by the crate he sent across the deck. One weilded a cutlass the other a length of rope.

He had just caught from the edge of his vision, Silkie retrieving Jacky Tar and heading off towards land. The crew already dispatched to the deck were the only ones who'd seen her slip o'verboard and wouldn't be telling the secrets they took with em.

He faced off to the two men and the ship seemed eerily quiet ...empty despite the sharp sound as cutlass met cutlass..the grunts of conflict and heavy footfalls. Johnathan Roberts made a formidable opponent due to his height and strength and didn't take long to subdue one man cutting him badly across the side. He kicked the man to the deck and turned towards the other with the rope. The dog released a fierce howl and lunged at Roberts who now saw that he held a grappling hook in his other bedraggled hand. But the as the attacker lunged forward he failed to see Roberts hand flash to his waist, he retrieved his pistol catching his assailant full in the chest. He turned breathing hard as the man let out a last cuss and looked for the direction his next assailants would come from.

Nothing....Roberts stood on the Relentless which now bobbed in a calm sea and the silence was deafening. There was no one in sight. Were they all dead? Did only a few survive the storm?" Was there an ambush waitin for him? Roberts tured quickly fearfull of all directions. A straight fight he could handle..but this was eerie..he looked to the rigging where a few lines had snapped from the winds, behind him and all around but saw not another man..save for those now relieved of their ability to fight.

Every nerve in his body tingled. The wind crossed his damp clothing sending a chill through him.

Then he heard a thump. For a moment Roberts assumed he was hearing his own heart pounding with adrenaline and fear. ....But it came again...from deep within the ship. Keeping his eyes all around him, Johnathan Roberts relieved the dead men of weapons they no longer needed, selecting knives and pistol still loaded and threw the rest overboard. He armed himself well, felt in his pocket for the coin he carried. His Talisman against the unseen and headed towards the hatch. The only sound was the canvas snapping in the wind..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I waited for Roberts to descend into the hold, and kicked the main hatch closed, so it hit him in the back of the head; I heard his body tumble down the steps and hit the deck below. I wrestled with my remaining bonds and pulled the gag from my mouth, "Sorry, Mister Roberts I can't have you killing anymore crew. Someone has to sail this ship!"

By my count and the bodies on deck, Roberts had helped slay Jonas, and slain Drake and Van Natten (the crewman who had tied me up). Unaccounted were: Stones, Jonesy, Smithe, Spoons, Templeton, Joseph P., Sullivan, Jackson and Perkins.

I opened the hatch, and peered into the hold. Roberts was laying at the bottom of the steps. I grabbed a length of rope and went below.

I removed Roberts weapons, and tied his hands behind his back. Unlike Van Natten, I could tie a few knots that would secure Roberts, until I could find some irons. I hoped I wouldn't need the irons or have to leave Roberts tied up. But until I could reason with him, this was for his own protection, as much as the remaining crew.

I woke sittin' up, wit' me back against a rock, an the fire had almost burnt out. But Silkie bless her, was still snorin'. I don't know how long we'd been out.

I reached over an gently shook her, "Silkie, ye need t' check in wit' yer sources, we need t' find the Rakehell." She was indeed a sound sleeper, "Silkie, please wake up!"

"HU? ...Wot? ...oh."

Silkie yawned and stretched in the sand. The clothing on her still damp in spots she tugged them from where they clung. Taking her hands to her face she realized they were covered with sand and stopped before causing any damage.

"Aul-rite. D'ship ...aye ...Rakehell" She paused for another yawn and stretched her neck before continuing. "Um soorry Capn' changin' don't take mouch buot workin tru d'currents, findin a safe landin n'all d'nay elp."

Silkie stood abruptly. "Now, let's see war she is."

Walking to the sea she squatted in the surf, her right hand dangling in the water before her and did not move for some time. After a few minuets she returned to Jacky.

"She's out deer." Pointing to some veague distant place over the water. "so's the Relentless, least one person overboard deer." Their eyes showed what they didn't say, hoping it wasn't Roberts. "Rakehell is movin slow, she's closer den d'Relentless. A few otters furter awau Wot d'ya want t'do. I ken drag ya out dere or I ken see ifin I ken get dem t'follow mae ere. Lessen ya'ave some way uv mae gettin a message to em. Suppose I could drag m'shirt out dere in d' haversack, change n'surprise d'ell out o'dem!" Silkie Laughed. She saw no emergency in the situation. She could hunt and fish and ...leave this shore any time she wanted. In fact she began to wonder if she hadn't been on this beach before.

Silkie had a look like she were day dreamin', I waved me hand in front o' her face, "Silkie, ye said the Rakehell was the closest, an given the current turn o' events, they be the ones t' seek safe passage wit'." She nodded and got that far away look in her eyes, again. "Ye'd make better time, an I'm sure it would be easier fer ye, if ye didn't take me along. So, wot say ye, swim out t' the Rakehell an ask 'em t' turn back an fetch us?"

I paused, "If ye don't want t' drag the haversack, I can write a message ye can deliver, and probably get a decent signal fire wit' lots a smoke goin'"

Silkie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened them again although not fully present she seemed more able to focus on the here and now.

"I'll take the sack, it will be easier that way. Let me feed first. When I come to shore again bring the sack and drape it around my body putting the strap in my mouth. With any luck I will swim straight away and unchallenged. If y'ave notin more t'add turn yer back n'I'll change."

Silkie's expression were a sad one, resolute but sad. Her eyes started t' shimmer an looked glassy, but not lifeless, nor tear filled. She motioned me t' turn.

I turned me back t' her, an heard the haversack fall heavy at me feet. I started t' speak again, "Silkie..." then heard a loud splash behind me.

I turned t' see, a sea lion frolickin' in the surf, an wit' out timidity she approached me. The eyes looked at me wit' the same look Silkie had just given me. I knelted down an picked up the haversack, an the sea lion moved closer. She shifted from flipper t' flipper as if pacin', an it made me own eyes glassy. I gently draped the haversack over the creatures neck, an placed the strap in her mouth.

She turned t' re-enter the sea, an stopped & turned her head t' look at me. I swear she winked at me, 'fore plungin' into the surf.

Rakehell. Rakehell. She kept repeating it in her mind. It was easy to be distracted in this world. So many things to see and do that never seemed to become old to her. She loved to dive and play in the waves ...and the fish ...mmmm, fish ...oooh, a nice big, tasty fish. As she began to increase her speed towards her prey she became aware of something slowing her and tugging at her mouth like a bit for a land horse ...oh! The haversack was dragging behind her! She again began to repeat. Rakehell. Rakehell.

I hoped Silkie was well on her way t' the Rakehell. I had stacked a larger pile o' wood fer the signal fire, but didn't want t' start it too soon. First sight of a sail on the horizon an I would set it a blaze.

I reckoned it would take time fer Silkie t' find the ship, an maybe longer t' convince the crew o' the Rakehell t' turn around. Waitin' was never somethin' I did well.

A splash of water made me look over the side, fearful someone else had fallen overboard. For an instand, I thought the lack of sleep, worry, and fatique were affecting my brain, for I could have sworn I saw a seal with some kind of pack on its back, the strap in its mouth like a bitted horse. I shook my head as the seal dissappeared under the serface, but then it reappeared closer to the ship.

"What the..." Then it hit me. Could it be Silkie, come from the Relentless with a message?

As the seal came up alongside, I called to Red Cat. "Oi, Cat. Come look at this seal and tell me if you think it might be Silkie. Maybe we won't have to go looking for the Relentless. Maybe we'll have a guide. If you're right about something bad happening, then we don't want to waste time looking all over the ocean for her if we don't have to."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sealkie was thrilled, she had found the Rakehell, she had reached her objective without straying ...much. She splashed in the surf so proud of herself. Then she remembered why she was looking for the ship and moved in closer. Popping her head above the surf as she reached the ship she saw someone leaning over the edge looking directly at her. The person looked away and again. Sealkie knew that face ...knew ...she bobbed with the waves ...rain, no ...rancid? No, she focused on the lass above her, Ransom! Captain Ransom! They saw her. Did they recognize her? Oh! ...she should change; communication was so easy that way.

Sealkie bobbed under the water again and swam to the ladder. She remained under the water for some time before her head appeared above the water once more. Silkie’s water logged auburn curls floated on the surface of the water while she sloshed the hide over the bottom rung of the ladder then again she went under the water's surface this time she appeared with a wet shirt floating around her human form. Throwing the seal hide over her shoulder and her arm hooked through the strap of the haversack she began to ascend the ladder. Once over the rail she stood water dripping onto the deck, a dazed look in her glittering eyes.

Red Cat dropped from the position she had taken up in th rigging wi th Rakehell's regular lookout, her eyes fixed and intent on the last place they had spied Jacky Tar's ship. Ransom had called to her and over the wind an the continuing sounds of repair, she thougt she had made out Silkie's name. Hoping that they had not come upon a dear crewmember drowned, Red Cat raced toward the Captain and stopped short just in time t' see wet curls preceed a water logged Silkie just climbing upon the deck. She had with her a haversack and some form of ..was it animal? slung over one shoulder. She looked frantically past her friend, over the water but saw no sign of Jollyboat, wreckage or the ship itself. Glad as she was t' see the Gerl, the Cat was truly perplexed. A torrent of emotion an questions flowed out.

"Gerl! Gerl! wot happened?" she questioned urgently..Silkie had a odd manner to her and her eyes looked truly haunted. Red Cat assumed she may have been in shock. "Tell me..tell me th' Relentless didn't go down in t' storm? Whar's Jacky?" She became unusually frantic thinking of myriad possibilities "Roberts! come gerl! I mus know! I had a feelin summin terrible's happened" as she shook all over and had grabbed the poor sea soaked gerl by her wet sleeve..Ransom stood by realizing Cat did not posess her knowledge of Silkies alternate form.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Give her a minute, Cat. She needs to come back to the world of air and land."

Silkie stood dazed, trying to get her mind away from where she had been. The seal skin still hung over her shoulder like a dead animal. I touched her on the arm, trying to focus her attention. "Silkie, you might want to put that skin in the haversake, before the rest of my crew starts asking question. They're all spooked enough as it is. Then you can tell us what happened on the Relentless and where she is."

Silkie's eyes slowly started to change from the animal to the human.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat took a step back as Ransom's words filled her ears, punctuating the transformation before her. She had heard Roberts tell of shapeshifters many times but never truly believed. Assuming such tales were the product of bad grog and too many hours in the hot sun. Rather than being unsettled, she was fascinated. All this time she knew the lass but had no idea of such a secret life. "Gods teeth lass......" she breathed slowly settling back heavily on a crate, for a moment forgetting her worry over the Relentless and the others. "Yer a... ahhmm....a....." CAt struggled for the word which would not come to mind. Silkie turned toward her at that moment and made to finish her sentence.

Silkie began to stuff the wet hide into the wet haversack with little success. It really didn't matter much, the crew was probably more fascinated by the wet shirt clinging to her form. She blinked at Jenny, forced water out through pursed lips like a fountain then finished Jennys sentence "...a sealkie." She blinked again and almost swooned but caught herself. "Happens when I get up too fast" she said looking down the ladder. "...I mean out, out of..." she held up the haversack "...errrr ...character. I need a rhum." she said as she leaned against the rail.

Red CAt broke into a smile and laughed..Silkie's affable nature always caught her off guard. "Well we'll see to it then" CAt said "As soon as ye tell me wot has happened an that JAcky an Roberts be among us still"Judging from her friend's calm albeit slightly dazed demeanor, Red Cat had decided everything must be in some sort of order and waited for a response. "Good Gods I could use more n one meself" said she as she glanced at Ransom. "As long as it's not my best Brandy" The Captain quipped with a warning look. "Ye can have all the rum ye can hold." Red CAt laughed again her eyes twinkling with mischief she turned to Murin. "Well...lat's have it then...wot's become o the Relentless?"

"Actually, by the look on Silkies face, I think she could use the Brandy. Let's go below, and since you already know where it is and how to open the lock, you, Cat, can fetch it."

Silkie, still a bit wobbly, was helped down to my cabin where she flopped down in a chair. When Red Cat handed her the glass of brandy, she took a sip, and it seemed to help.

"Okay, Silkie, tell us what happened on the Relentless. Why did she leave us during the storm? Are Jacky and Roberts in danger or hurt?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"The first mate's a mutant, Roberts is engaged and Jacky is relaxing on the beach.

When she looked up at the two women she saw a multitude of questions on their faces then realized what she said.

Shaking her head she paused for another sip of brandy savoring the it as it warmed her. "Jacky is fine," Silkie motioned with a vague wave of her hand, "on d'beach waitin fer us." then sipped the brandy again. "Roberts, I nil know 'bout, last I sen he was engag... no, enraged, dove fer his blade as I dove rer d'capin'." Silkie was tied and dazed. "Tis d'change' ...the 'change' can do that to a woman" Without thinking she flatly stated. "Roberts fell or'board, after I dove in after Jacky. ...errr, someone or'board buot I d'no who" Silkie paused, leaning her head into her hand and rubbing her brow. She then looked directly t'captain, "Twas mutiny."