The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roberts was aware of the weapon pointed at him by Jack'ys steady hand...this was the second time in his life Mr. Tar had pointed a pistol at his gut.

"Mr. TAr.." he began..not sure whether t' be angry or wonder if th Captain was being coerced.."How is it that ye be pointin a pistol at me when ye have a mutiny on yer hands?"

Roberts made no motion to sheath his cutlass as he still wasn't sure what was afoot. He strained his senses to determine if there were anyone else in the cabin..mayhap behind a door. Roberts motioned t' Spoons who had shrunk even further behind his boss. "You! Ye heard th Captain! out! an close th door behind ye man"The Relentless' cook slunk out like a dog with his tail between his legs..all too happy t' be half a ships length from two men wit the potential and the demeanor to turn things ugly.

Tar offered him a drink..but Roberts stood his ground..still angry at having been disarmed an ushered below decks earlier and unsure of what was afoot among the crew.

"An explaination if ye please.... Captain" The last bit o his sentence was drawn out as if questioning whether Jacky still held his station. His speech was not lacking for a menacing tone ..There would have to be some quick convincing and Roberts hoped all was as it looked on the surface. However, he could still feel the hairs standing on the back of his neck..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I looked at the man facin' me wit' his cutlass in his hand, an said, "Seems there's been somethin' afoot, if ye be so kind as t' lower yer cutlass, I'll happily uncock me pistol!"

Roberts hesitated, but I did not, an uncocked me pistol. I slide it in back into me belt, an poured me self an Mister Roberts a drink. "I accept that yer not part o' any mutiny, even though ye did barge into me cabin wit' yer cutlass drawn." The man was beginnin' t' look a bit sheepish, an I said, "I apologize for any mistreatment ye may hav received at the hands o' me crew, in me absence."

Roberts could now see that Jacky meant him no harm..the man was probably still nervous hisself. When yer crew attempts to take yer ship ye become a man wot trusts no one. Tar uncocked the flint and Roberts having satisfied himself tha the cabin was otherwise empty, sheathed his own weapon and accepted a drink. "Well perhaps ye can tell me what just transpired ..did yer men go mad wit th storm? I couldn't see th Rakehell no longer . We must go back an make sure she's whole" Roberts yearned to be at the helm right now..sailing back t' make sure th Cat was still in this world. It was too soon that he again had to face losing the wee pirate he was so fond of.

I winced, the Rakehell an the blow t' the back o' the head, were related. Did Dillard think I'd lost me mind, 'cause o' some illness? How did he know I'd suffered wit' bouts o' fever in the past? Why question me judgement? Who the bloody hell hit me?

I wanted t' return fer the Rakehell, her captain an crew. "Roberts, I know we both hav good reason t' go back fer the Rakehell." I paused, "Wot were ye told when they took ye below?"

"I was told that fer th stafety o th ship ye'd been not relieved...but sent below 'fore th main tore itself loose....Yer men were scared.." Roberts considered the sudden ferocity with which the squall had appeared in a calm sea..enough to make any sailor question his loyalty. "There was summin right unnatural abou tha Mr. Tar..and now I must ask ye..wot are yer plans?" Roberts wanted to get underway..to know Cat an the others were still intact. He flinched at a memory though old...still to clear in his minds eye..A storm, not unlike this one , but which blew for many hours..an Red CAt..

If it were a mutiny, then we would not be welcome on deck. I would not hide in me cabin. I stood on wobble legs, and turned t' Roberts, "I'm goin' top side, are ye wit' me?" Before leavin' me cabin, I grabbed a small bag and stuffed it in me coat pocket; I hoped I wouldn't need the contents o' the bag.

Feelin bad for insinuatin that Jacky no longer held command..Roberts imagined himself in the same position. He stepped aside sweeping his arm and grasping the hilt of his cutlass wit his other hand.. "After ye ..Captain" He fell in behind Tar as they ascended to the deck. Roberts steeled for wot may come..both as they made the deck ....and on the deck o the Rakehell..which was hopefully still intact..

As we passed out the door o' me cabin, we had t' step ov'r Smithe's body. I turned t' Roberts, "Yer handiwork?" Did he take on the whole crew why I was out?

"I want t' check on somethin' fore we go topside," cautiously we approached the forward berths. Sadly, we found Stones out cold in his hammock; no doubt drugged. The mute Jonesy, was sittin' in his hammock below. "Jonesy do ye know who did this t' Stones?" He nodded, reached fer a soup bowl an pulled out a spoon.

Below decks, the Rakehell looked as if a giant hand had picked her up, shaken her like a dog with a rabbit, then set her down on the water again. Barrels and boxes were thrown everywhere. Lighter ones floated in the water we'd taken on. All proof that the provisions had been stowed in haste, and not all had been properly lashed down.

In the dim light I surveyed the mess. "Bloody hell. I hope none of the food has been spoiled."

At that point, Jane, soaking wet, stumbled forward.

"Is the hull sound?" I asked, that being my biggest concern at the moment.

She nodded.

"Good, then I'll send one of the crew below to help you get things put right."

Still being thrown side to side as waves hit the ship, I regained the deck. Tunny and Jimmy were already aloft rerigging the mains'l. The wind had slackened even more.

I called to Goose. "Get below and help Jane batten down what's come loose. And look for a new spar to replace the one we lost, and spare canvass. We'll need to make a new squares'l."

Reluctantly, Goose headed below.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Oh no, not you!" Jane moaned as the stubborn crewman from the galley splashed into the hip deep water of the lower hold. A coil of wet hemp rope was slung over the girl's shoulder, well worn knife held in her free hand. She pushed a floating crate away with one hand as it bobbed across the space towards her. "Lissen ye. Jest 'elp me git these bigger uns back in place then ye ken go see 'bout tha food stores. Not that ye'd know spoilt food from fresh tho."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Goose eyed his nemisis warily. The last place he wanted to be was stuck down in the hold with this new guest, and figured Ransom had done it on purpose, on account he'd used his mum's spice in the stew. Sloshing through the water, he helped her restow the heavier barrels, always keeping a squinty eye out for rats. He hated rats.

"We're ta look for a new spar and canvass," he said authoritatively. " 'Twas a direct order from Herself, so I'll be off looking for those soon as this last barrel is lashed. And that canvass will need to be sewed for a new squares'l." He cocked an eye at the woman. "You any good at sewin'?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Wit' Roberts right behind me, wit' out Stones, we climbed t' the main deck. Mister Dillard was on deck an at the helm. The storm had calmed considerably.

Roberts and I were 'bout t' approach Dillard, when Jonas stepped forward, holdin' Silkie by her tresses wit' a pistol against her neck.

Jonas said t' me, "Mister Tar, place yer pistol on the deck, and return t' yer quarters."

I drew me sea pistol, leveled it at Jonas, and cocked it. He moved further behind Silkie, an told me t' lay me weapon down or else.

I layed me pistol on the deck, wit me back t' the rail and motioned t' Roberts t' put his cutlass down. As I straightened back up, I saw Jonas expression change, and his gun now trained on me.

I remember the flash, the ball slammin' into me shoulder, and fallen backwards ov'r the main deck railin' into the black sea below...

Feck! How did she let this happen? Now she would have to make the man pay, and pay dearly.

Before the smoke had cleared the pan of Jonas' pistol Silkie had dropped the stiletto that was always secured up one sleeve into her palm. She had been hoping for a diversion but Jacky falling overboard was not what she had planned. Thrusting upwards behind her the blade easily pierced Jonah's gut. First his grip on her hair tightened then in pain he threw the woman to the deck. Scrambling to the rail she did not look to see if Roberts had retrieved his cutlass before jumping over. She hoped she would find Jacky quickly and alive.

As the scum were levelin his flintlock at Jacky Tar, Roberts took advantage of the seconds the crewman looked away to aim his pistol at the Captains heart. Despite bein a large man, Johnathan Roberts moved with surprising speed. He stepped forward grabbing up his cutlass and lunged intending t' catch the man in the temple with it's pommel. As he lurched forward Silkie produced a dirk from her boot and made quick work o Jonas. But not before a shot flew past him and the dull sound of lead hitting flesh was heard. Roberts whirled around only to see Tar stumble back holdin his shoulder, a look of shock upon his face and fall backward over the rail..Silke was over quick behind him and Roberts made to follow. As he turned full to face the side of the Relentless, he was stopped by the sharp sound of blade being drawn from scabbard. Steel upon steel. The pirate turned in blind anger and atacked the man who stood before him with full force and more than the scum was ready for..the mutinous dog quickly Joined Jonas on the deck..two more were upon him leaping over barrels and rope. As he moved to a more advantageous position kicking a crate towards the men to slow their advance, Roberts stole a quick glance over his shoulder trying to See if Silkie had brought Jacky above the surface..His mind raced. They were too far from the Rakehell..or were they? He hoped their sister ship might have caught up.. Hoped Tar was alive..

The storm or at least th wors o' it had passed, and already the able crew was swarmin over their home like ants. Hammering could be heard amongst shouts and orders from the lesser officers directing both supplies and repairs. The ship continued to move forward even as the mains'ls were bein rerigged. Red CAt was haulin some rope across to th Larboard when she noticed it was bloodied..turning to look where the rope had lay she saw none injured nor signs that anyone had been. Turning her attention back she realized she had a gash in her hand just above the thumb. Cursing she handed the rope to a passing crew member "Oi Mr. Sills!" a lad of fifteen knuckled his sandy curls at her..she smiled glad he had made it through the storm safely "Sir," she continued as the boy swelled with pride at bein addressed so, which was her intention. A few words could go a long way to encourage the lad. "Take this line Larb'd t' Mr. Caneel f' me will ye? I must attend t' summin an he be waitin on it t'go aloft" The boy paused only a moment, and Red CAt assumed he found her a curiosity..even tho the lad's Captain was female. "Aye mum!" He took the rope, threw his boyish hand to his brow again and scampered off a little more quickly than he had passed moments ago.

The CAt stared after him fer a moment and having slowed, now began t' feel the pain in her hand and cursing what ever had put it there, headed below t' her cabin.

As she leant into her sea chest an drew out a fresh peice o linen and salve t wrap her injury, she was struck wit a sudden vision..it was strong enough f' her to sit heavily on th closed chest. "Roberts..Gods! Jacky" she said softly. Red Cat sprang up and took the ladder in twos almost mowing down Ransom. "Captain! we mus sail f' the Relentless..this minute! They're in trouble! I know it! We'vnt much time!" She didn't tell the Ransom what it was she felt had happened...In her mind Red Cat again questioned if a curse were afoot ahead of their search for that which was a mystery..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"We're ta look for a new spar and canvass," he said authoritatively. " 'Twas a direct order from Herself, so I'll be off looking for those soon as this last barrel is lashed. And that canvass will need to be sewed for a new squares'l." He cocked an eye at the woman. "You any good at sewin'?"

"pff, sew," Jane huffed at the man. It never failed, there always had to be one crew member who just drove her crazy. The last sailor that made her want to tear her hair was Ioan, now this Spoons fellow. Maybe it was something about the Rakehell. Did she just attract irritating men?

"'bout as well as ye ken cook I'm 'fraid but I'll do wot tha captain thinks's best." Jane replied, throwing her shoulder into an over sized crate to knock it into place beside its neighbors.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

She hit the water with practiced skill but found the coat and clothing cumbersome once in the brine. Kicking at the water she removed the coat while looking for Jacky in the wake of the ship. To her disappointment she did not see any sign of her friend. Swimming in this form was a bit difficult but done easily enough by the strong lass. She dove into the water searching for the man. Her eyes, not accustom to the brine and not protected as they would be in seal form burned, but the water was clear and she soon spotted Captain Tar floating downward, a trail of blood streaming from his shoulder bubbles from his mouth. Wrapping her arm from his shoulder across his chest she gabbed below the opposite arm and brought him to the surface with surprising ease. He was unconscious, was he breathing?

Me head broke the surface o' the water, again. But this time I was pulled up! It was Silkie's arm across me chest. Sea water sputtered from me mouth, "Wot took ye so long, luv."

I winced as the salt water licked at me wounded shoulder. "We need t' get t' shore quickly, Silkie."

Thank the gods! Jacky was alive and awake to the world ...and behaving his same ol'self.

"Huh, I could easily ave left ya t'd'sharks as not."

She headed for land, sensing it rather than sighting it. She was however relieved when they bobbed up on the higher waves and caught sight a small island, far off but in sight.

"Tide's goin't bae'ard to fight. Rest a bit. When we get's closer t'shore we'll see ifin ya needs t'tread whilst I change" She felt the weight of the now wet skin in the haversack, still slung across her chest, dragging through the water beneath them.

Hester pokes her head out her cabin door and takes in the scene of chaos in the gangway of the wildly heaving ship. Behind her, a silky-smooth voice with an Irish lilt enquires:

"What the hell is going on out there?"

Hester replies, "I dunno, Stu. I think it's just another one of Red Cat's parties."

Hester notices a bottle of rum rolling down the corrider as the ship pitches and bucks in the heavy seas. She snatches it up, waving it in triumph at her cabinmate.

She bolts the door behind her, and hops back into bed with her rum and her bit of rough, leaving the rest of the crew to sort out whatever mess they've got themselves into this time.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

The sea was too rough they weren’t going to make it like this, she needed to change form. Jacky’s injury would not allow him to tread for long. Somehow she managed to remove her garments and gear Keep Jacky afloat, take the skin out of the haversack and put her clothing into the sack loosing only a comb from her hair. When they reached the shore Silkie pulled Jacky clear of the surf then lumbered back into the water. The strap of the haversack that now held her clothing clutched in her mouth; she flicked her tail and swam off to find a nearby but discreet place to change once again.

Silkie was indeed wot she claimed t' be, & her shape shiftin' probably saved me life. I owed her one. I would never look at a seal, or her kind, quite the same again.

I had packed me shoulder wit' seaweed, t' keep from bleedin' t' death, while I was bobbin' 'bout the sea; it were time t' remove that dressin'. Pullin' off me jacket wit' me good arm & located me pouch. The precious small bottle, in the pouch, was not broken by the fall.

Removin' my shirt & the seaweed dressin', the blood began t' flow again. I put the bottle t' me lips an removed the stopper. Sparingly, I poured the healin' fluid into the wound, an prayed it wasn't too diluted wit' sea-water.

I was relieved t' see the wound heal up. I stoppered the bottle, returned it t' me coat & hastily redressed.

Exhausted & cold, I needed t' start a fire; so, I set 'bout gatherin' dried wood that lay along the shore line, while I waited fer Silkie t' return.

Silkie laid just a few hundred yards up the beach from where she left Jacky on the other side of some natural formations that she was able to hide amongst. Tired from the exertion she laid there, a wet shirt clinging to her and her seal skin covering her like a blanket. She was more tired than chilled. She needed some rest after the effort of tugging a full frown man through the surf.

She needed to move, to check on Jacky.

Finally she won her own argument and forced herself from the wet sand beneath her. Tugged on her breeches, draped her seal hide around her shoulders for warmth and gathered her belongings back into the haversack ...drat ...a shoe was missing. Then she began to drag herself and the haversack towards the place on the beach where she had left Jacky.

Me fire startin' kit were dry. I pulled out the flint, striker an a bit o' the char cloth, an soon had a nice little fire. Soaked t' the bone, I setup some dryin' sticks fer me shirt, stockings and boots. Left on me wool breeches an coat, fer I had wrung as much water from 'em as I could.

I stared into the fire an contemplated the treachery that had befallen me, an wondered where Silkie had gone off. I needed a plan, if I were t' get me ship back.