The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Along the way, Roberts chatted easily with the gerl called Miss McDonough. As they passed into the captain's cabin, he caught a look of amusement on Jacky's face. Surely at the expense of the previous night. He met this with a smile and left her to her seat. Aye this would be a good evening. Mr. Tar was a man who made people at their ease.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rasom had entered the Ward Room and after a bit of chiding proceeded to regail Red Cat and Jane with the details of the first leg of th journey.

The intrepid group would be setting sail to Havana. A course which would take them on a heading South of Florida.

Red Cat put her glass of pilfered Brandy down and settled the chair she'd leaned back against the wall, once again on it's feet. She stood Ransom a drink as she thought a moment.

"Habana~?" She said, looking the Captain in the eyes for any information she may have left out at that moment.. ".. Wot do JAcky need papers fer? He wonts the Spanish on r' aft fore we makes half th' journey?" Red CAt took a sip and considered what had been put forth. She wished she'd been party to th meeting. Wanted to know more abou Jacky's plans. She stood pacing along the floor and turned back towards them gesturing, goblet in hand as she spoke.."Mayhap we kin pass as merchants but wot abou th' guns? " She looked out the stern windows at the sun now reflecting off the swells from it's point in the sky, and towards the Relentless moving effortlessly through them ahead of the Rakehell. "I mean t' say we'll be in pirate waters...but we be fairly heavily armed for plyin trade..." She stopped a moment bouncin on her heels and took another draught of brandy. Turning suddenly she said "I needs t' have a think..turn this over in me mind..I'll be above decks if ye needs me.

Jane... Captain.... Red Cat placed the goblet on the table with a wink t' Ransom and swaggered out almost careening into the doorjamb as the ship lurched on a wave. She used the movement to her advantage and swung around the corner avoiding Africa's bulk by a hair. He started sputtering about summin..but The Cat waved him off an headed up to th salty air.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I'd use this dinner t' dispel any doubts me dinner companions had 'bout me intentions. I also hoped t' quell any fears Roberts had 'bout Silkie. Sailors were a superstitious lot, an Roberts seemed t' hav more than his share.

Silkie's abilities in the water weren't all she was aboard fer. I hadn't yet mentioned the fate that befell the dutch raiders when they found one o' the wrecks. Aye, sometimes the dead don't give up the ghost, an welcome others t' share their fate. Mayhaps just another sailors tale, but best be prepared, says I.

After waiting for the only lass present to take her seat, Roberts moved around the far side of the highly polished table. It was made of Cherry wood and had been a prize taken in the Orient on one of the Relentless' farther journeys. He settled in a chair opposite Tar and the steward began to fill their glasses.

Roberts turned to the Captain "Mr. Tar, while the company is quite pleasurable" he glanced at Murin who turned the slightest shade of rose "and the food as well, I must ask of ye Sah what is the occasion for such an invvitation?",

Silkie appeared a graceful lady even in breeches. The soft colors of the dusty rose chemise and sage bodice softened her appearance. She took her seat with practiced poise and grace. As the men lowered themselves into their chairs she delicately placed the table napkin on her lap. Conversation was of weather and sea before Roberts piped up. A soft blush washed Silkie's face as Jonathan paid her the compliment. To this day she felt herself awkward at any praise. She hoped someday to overcome that bit of silliness.

"Aye capn," Miss McDonough interjected "I'm onnored to hauve been invited t'yer table but as a crrew member tis highly unusual fer mae t'b'ere isn't it?"

After Red Cat went up on deck, I turned to Jane. "It seems the Cat has a few doubts. I don't blame her, as I've several of my own. However, I promised Jacky that we would go along with whatever plans he has." I took a swallow of the brandy. "If you have any strong feelings concerning what we're about to do, then best state them now. I can signal the Relentless that we need another meeting."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Spanish" Jane shivered, her thin shoulders pulled up to her ears. She didn't like the thought of sailing into Havana in the slightest. In all honesty she would prefer they steer a wide path around the Spanish. How much of her feeling was held over from past encounters and how much was genuine concern was hard to tell.

"I think," the girl started trying to put all the random thoughts in her head together in some decient order, "tha Spanish, they're not much fer women on ships now. Should probably play it low key. Draw as little 'tention as we ken fer as long as we ken. Specially if Mr. Tar thinks we're gonna be setting foot in Havana."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I turned t' Silkie, "Ye both are not just crew, Silkie. Ye will be part o' the landin' parties in Havana an the Dry Tortugas. Yer puttin' yerselves in harms way, an I mean t' discuss wot I think those risks may be."

Dillard had been delayed, and now enters the cabin. He didn't look surprised by me dinner guests, an took a seat. I poured him a glass o' wine, an said, "Our first stop is Havana, an Silkie an Roberts will be goin' ashore wit' me." He nodded, an sipped his wine.

"We are goin' into Havana t' trade rum an sugar. I want Spanish letters o' credit and goods which give us a reason t' be sailin' t' the Spanish colonies, in Florida."

"Spanish" Jane shivered, her thin shoulders pulled up to her ears. She didn't like the thought of sailing into Havana in the slightest. In all honesty she would prefer they steer a wide path around the Spanish. How much of her feeling was held over from past encounters and how much was genuine concern was hard to tell.

"I think," the girl started trying to put all the random thoughts in her head together in some decient order, "tha Spanish, they're not much fer women on ships now. Should probably play it low key. Draw as little 'tention as we ken fer as long as we ken. Specially if Mr. Tar thinks we're gonna be setting foot in Havana."

"I think Jacky is going to do most of the dealing in Havana. I don't plan to go ashore unless dragged, and the Rakehell is going to stand off while Jacky gets whatever papers he's talking about. I have no desire to draw attention to ourselves and would much rather avoid or broadside a Spanish ship, than drop anchor in a bay full of them."

I finished off the last of the brandy in my glass. "So, I guess we trust that Jacky knows what he's doing."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Naw." Jane shook her head, pushing her nearly full glass of brandy towards Ransom. " but I'd trust ye ta be prepared fer when Mr. Tar gets us in over our 'eads. Sides, can't never know what ta expect when it comes ta tha blasted Spanish anyway."

Without another word Jane rose, leaving the ward room for the open deck in search of the Red Cat.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Wit a padded thump Red CAt made th deck on her way down from th crow's nest..

She'd taken a good sighting about an had time t' think in th fresh air..

She was just replacing her tricorn after refixing her windblown que when Jane came upon her..

"Oi gerl..done wi th' Captain fer th moment? Th sea looks calm and th weather fine..we should gain a day I think.."

"Good. Tha faster we're in n out o that blasted Spanish port tha better." Jane spoke quietly, nodding with a slight smile as one of the Rakehell's crew passed. She folded her arms casually behind her back, turning her head to the slight breeze. "So, wots yer take on Mr. Tar's little plan 'ere?"

"Havana." Silkie repeated the word. It had been years since she had been there, she wondered if any of her old "aquaintances" on the Island were still to be found. A crocked, devilish smile crossed her vissage. "Ow long d'ya tink we'ill be in port Jacky?"

She lifted the bowl to her nose and sniffed at the fare on the plate "Who's d' cook?"

Momentarily lost in thoughts of plunder, Roberts was brought back to the table at the sound of Silkie's voice.. which was tinged with anticipation and ..something else...

He looked over at the green eyed lass and was caught by the expression on her face. It was distant as well..as if she were recalling some bit of past intrigue... and turned almost feral as a slow smile interupted the previously innocent countenance. The nervous feeling returned as he felt the hairs prick at the back of his neck.

Roberts reached for the bottle and refilled his tankard..

I knocked and entered Mister Tar's quarters, I spied our guest sniffing the fare, "The food not to your liking Miss?"

I saw that Dillard was savoring his, and said, "It's toad in a hole, and it's one of Mister Dillards' favorites." He nodded his approval.

I turned t' Mister Tar, "Mister Tar, may I bring out the next course?"

"My goode man, tis fine food, I'm not fermillur wit d'flavoring. Tryin t'dcide ifin mae ma' added sometin det ya nul do tis it d'otter way round." Silkie set the bowl down and picked up a spoon. "Wouldn't surprise mae ifin shay did, workin with herbs d'way she do." Silkie scooped up a bit of the gravy and bread, putting it into her mouth there was no sign of distaste in her happy expression.

After Jacky had given a nod to Spoons and the cook had gone Silkie couldn't help but giggle. "Sábháil moost definatly awded sometin! Tis nil bad, jus'not wot I'm use t." She paused, "Um tinkin det I needs t'bae careful where det man's concerned? Proud uv is woork" Silkie looked to Jacky who nodded, his mouth full of the "first course" This could be the whole meal as far as she was concerned no more would be needed.

Smiling broadly she looked around the table, each man concentrating on his plate, save Roberts who was looking at her. She winked at him then looked back at her own plate continuing to eat.

I looked at Silkie, who now seem t' be enjoyin' her meal, "Wit' the right conditions, we'll be in Havana in five days time." I smiled as Spoons entered again, with shrimp cocktails.

"The trip t' the Dry Tortugas will take 'bout twelve days. If all goes well, we spend the rest o' the month explorin' the Florida coast." I pause t' eat some shrimp, "No short voyage this one, despite the distances."

Me thoughts turned t' Havana, "The Spanish want trade an hav goods fer market. We play by their rules an pay their bloody taxes, and we should receive no troubles."

With my two guests up on deck, I put away the brandy - still curious as to how the Cat had picked the lock on the cabinet - and returned to the charts spread out on my desk. The island of Cuba lay drawn on the parchment like a sleeping lizard, its head pointing toward Haiti, while its tail curled toward the Yucatan. At the northern base of that tail was Havana, the last staging destination of the Spanish gold fleets before they returned to Spain. A large bay, sure to be full of edgy galleon captains, who might cock a more than curious eye at two unflagged ships coming in to join them.

With a sigh, I rolled up the charts, retied their ribbons, then glanced out the small stern window. The sky was a clear cerulean blue, and our wake carved a ruffled V on the ocean's surface.

A breif moment of calm before the coming storm. Hopefully, if Jacky knew what he was about, and we were lucky, the storm would pass us by.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Good. Tha faster we're in n out o that blasted Spanish port tha better." Jane spoke quietly, nodding with a slight smile as one of the Rakehell's crew passed. She folded her arms casually behind her back, turning her head to the slight breeze. "So, wots yer take on Mr. Tar's little plan 'ere?"

Having just hopped from her perch in th rigging, Red CAt continued to straighten her garb, fussing here and there till everything was to her liking..as she did so she spoke to Jane..

"Well lass, I'v 'ad time t' think..I kin see his reasnin t' put in at Habana forst... It hadn't occurred t' me 'twould help t' establish a false idenity wi th Spanish and guarantee some ease of travel thereafter.."

Done fussing, she turned and leaned back agin th rail crossing one foot over the other and looked up into the rigging from whence she had just dropped.

"As fer other reasons he may have.. I must speak wi him when next we are able.." Red CAt focused again on Janes face.."But JAcky be a smart man. Been around a long while and I trust his judgement f' th most part.." She turned to go heading amidships with a slight swagger and didn't mention that she still wondered at Mr. Tars choice to risk porting in Cuba or why he separated the crew as such..

Roberts was pouring and looked up at the Captain as he did so.."Taxes" he snorted..Roberts didn't like paying fer anything legit, least of all to the Spanish who were undeserving of anything..thieves they were..He laughed at this, finding the thought amusing considering his own choice of occupation.. "Bloody Spanish.." He tipped the heavy bottle over Mr. Tars glass topping it off as if to draw them together in agreement.

The Captain gave him a bried nod and Roberts settled back to hear what else the man had to say.

Jacky looked Roberts in the eye, "Ye know mate Havana is a Spanish port, an we best be on our best behavior there. The Spanish hav run this part o' the world fer the last four hundred years. Their time is almost up, but they believe their best years are still ahead. When facin' the guns o' Spanish Galleon, I'm willin' t' give 'em the benefit o' the doubt."

"Aye, on wot we trade, we'll pay their taxes. But fer wot we pull up from their sunken ships, I don't intend t' give nothin' back."

At the last part of Captain Tar's statement.. Roberts broke into a wickedly wide, gold toothed grin..

"Aye Mr. Tar now that's more like it" He raised his tankard to Jacky, an after the mugs had touched, downed the libation feeling more comfortable with the idea. "Oh, I'll be on me best behaviour in Havana Sah" He quipped "But ye better keep a keen eye on the lil CAt ..aye trouble follows that one at times.." He gave a wink and settled into the fare before him..

Jane watched Jenny swagger off across the ship.

"Not Mr. Tar I'm worried 'bout" Jane called after the disappearing shadow of the cat. "Tis tha blasted Spanish" she finished softly.

Her pale brow furrowed, thin fingers twisting together. Shoulders shivered involuntarily as she remembered the last run in she had with the men of the Iberian peninsula.

"ugh, Spanish."

The weather and sea were calm as the two ships sailed toward the Spanish port. There was little for any of us to do other than keep the ships together. Sometimes the Rakehell sailed within the wake of the Relentless, sometimes she sailed alongside. But the closer we got to Havana, the more nearvous everyone became.

So far we'd seen no Spaish ships, but that was sure to change. Other than Africa, my crew were all English. Once it dawned on them exactly where we were headed, I knew there would be protests. For Africa, the Spanish were especially hated, for it was a Spanish slave hunt that had pulled him from his home country to work the sugar and tobacco plantations of the Caribbean.

I stood at the rail, calmly eating an apple and watching the Relentless, who sailed a hundred yards ahead, two points off our larboard bow. I had to admit, she was a fine sight, and if I had to sail into Havana harbor, there could be no better companions than Jacky and his brig. For the moment, the Rakehell would be content to follow their lead.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg