The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"And just just what do you intend to tell the authorities in Havana our busines is? Two English ships in Spanish waters are going to look a bit...odd."

I chuckled softly, "The Relentless, has been t' Havana so often, it must seem odd when she is not there." This did not sit well wit' Ransom, so I said, "Ye may take an wait outside the harbor, if ye like. I have sugar an rum t' deliver, an I suspect some there are more then a little curious 'bout me whereabouts."

Ransom's ship I didn't think was known, in Havana. Sailin' in t' Havana wit' out cargo, could arouse suspicions. I had those wit' whom I dealt, an they could be relied on, as long as there were profit in it for them. How could I barter safe passage fer the Rakehell, wit' out angerin' the woman 'fore me now, or drawin' undesirable attention t' her ship in Havana?

I gave her a sideways glance, an said, "Would ye consider a ploy in Havana, where we state yer business there is t' pickup wool and dyes, t' be traded t' the British colonies?"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Been to Havana lots of time, have you?" I narrowed a blue eye. "Funny how you never mentined that until now."

I sat in the gently rocking boat, and thought about Jacky's proposal. I may not like it, but it made sense. If he wanted the Rakehell to play merchant schooner, I'd go along. It wouldn't be the first time she'd played the innocent, and for the moment, it beat smuggling rum into Boston, which was her usual order of business — not counting the occational side trip to do a bit of recreational plundering.

"Alright, I'll follow your lead. Get me in and out of Havan safely, and I won't squawk at the manner of it."

I leaned forward and placed a hand on his knee, my voice gentler than before. "Truely, Jacky, I hope you know what you're getting us all into. I don't want anything to happen to any of us, and I don't want to loose my ship," I smiled, "Or my very good friend."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Just goes ta show, ya don't know everythin' there is ta know 'bout cookery."

Jane coughed and sputtered at the new odor wafting out of the cooks pot. She could see the others weren't enjoying the smell either. Even Red Cat made a rush for the open deck in order to escape the simmering pot.

"Oi, I might not know everythin 'bout cookin. But I do know 'bout hunger. N I ain't gonna go 'ungry on a fully stocked ship jest cause ye think ol stockins make fer a good stew."

The galley filled with the hearty laugher of the Rakehell's crew at Jane's comment. She joined them with a bright smile as the cook sputtered, trying to think of a way to defend his questionable recipe.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I leaned forward and placed a hand on his knee, my voice gentler than before.  "Truely, Jacky, I hope you know what you're getting us all into. I don't want anything to happen to any of us, and I don't want to loose my ship," I smiled, "Or my very good friend."

It weren't often enough that she touched me in a friendly manner, an I placed my hand on hers, an said, "Then we hav an accord. We two merchant ship captains, wit' business in Havana."

At that moment, Smithe came t' the railin' above us, t' inquire if we would be comin' aboard. I smiled an told him, "I think our business here is done, we best get back t' the Relentless, an make ready t' get underway."

Captain Ransom, climbed up the ladder an back aboard her ship. When Mister Tar didn't follow, I knew it were me cue t' climb aboard the jolly boat. I thanked the captain o' the Rakehell, an climbed down into the boat.

Settlin' in t' the boat, an watchin' the moorin' lines drop back in t' the boat, I lifted an oar t' push off. I glanced at Mister Tar's content face, an he nodded, so I pushed us away from the Rakehell. Mister Tar helped hoist the lag sail, an we tacked back toward the Relentless.

He kept glancin' back at the Rakehell. Based on his happy disposition, I was certain his meetin' went well, an that there would be others.

Silkie reported to the officer on duty for her assignment. He was none too happy to have a woman onboard let alone this lass. He had heard rumors about her in port, preposterous rumors perhaps, but one can't be too sure about such things. Those stories come from somewhere. Her arrival on the ship was a bit ...unorthodox.

She took to her work easily, smiling the whole while and singing a tune that had the crew singing along.

I had to get away from her blasted singing, doesn't even sing chanties! So I went below deck to the galley. Spoons was busy at his craft, but had left some fruit on the table. I pulled out my knife to carve up a mango.

"Damn strumpet, she's up on deck, singing. I have half a mind to toss her over board, and let her folick with that seal we saw the other day." Spoons, didn't respond. "Why didn't Mister Tar demand she sail with the other women aboard the Rakehell?"

Without turning from my stove, I said, "Since when did you care where ladies berth?" I shook my head, Dillard loved the ladies in any port, just not on his ship. "Mister Tar offered the lass a berth, and you better not make any remarks about her, within earshot of him. Or you'll be frolicking with the fishes!"

I turned to Dillard, "You can't run a ship from down here, get over it and make ready to up anchor when Mister Tar gets back."

Smithe dropped the lag sail, an we glided next t' the Relentless. I didn't wait on ceremony, an climbed aboard our ship.

Jonesy caught a moorin' line, an tied it off. Dillard step up t' greet me, wit' a welcome salute. I said t' him, "Raise a signal flag that were makin' sail. Let's weigh anchor Mister Dillard."

Once back on deck, I turned to Africa. "Get the ship ready to make sail. We follow the Relentless as soon as she hoists the signal flag."

He nodded, then turned to the rest of the crew and started barking orders.

Red Cat stood by with a questioning look on her face. It was obvious she wanted to know how the conversation in the jolly boat had gone.

"Come on, let's find Jane. Then I'll let you both know what the plan is so far." As I headed below deck I wrinkled my nose. "What the hell is that ungodly smell?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Silkie looked up from her work and waved to Jacky as he gave Dillard his orders. Next thing she was silently waiting for orders from Dillard. It was then she first saw Johnathan. She flashed him a bright smile and a wink then noticed Jacky looking at her with a stare that was somewhat less than approving. Lordy, this was going to be an interesting trip.

Dillard gave out her assignment and she was soon at the ropes with the remainder of the crew waiting for additional orders.

With Mister Tar at the helm, we were ready t' leave port. I was ready to give the orders, to get underway.

"Silkie, hoist the signal flag, we're ready to make sail. Then join the lads aloft, and prepare to drop the main sails."

"Alright lads, topmen aloft to the gallant yard, and let's loose the topsails."

"Smithe, secure that jolly boat to the stern, and join Jonesy, and the lads aloft to drop the main sheets."

"Stones, prepare to weigh anchor, have your crew grab their handspikes and man the capstan."

Aye, it would be a good day aboard the Relentless, today! "You there on the leeward side, help pull the slack out of that line."

With the anchor secured, and the wind in our main sails, we were underway at last.

Chuckling an shakin her head, Red Cat walked the deck along wit Ransom seekin out Jane and throwin last minute orders about. She looked out across the water at th Relentless which was itself full of activity.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

As I entered the galley, I curled my nose and glared at Goose. "Tell me you didn't put your mother's secret spice in the stew? God's teeth, it's a wonder any of your family survived childhood."

Goose sniveled. "It's my galley. That woman," he pointed a bony finger at Jane, "she's got no business meddlin' with my cookin'."

"What you do to food isn't cooking, it's an abomination. Dump that stuff and start over, or the crew will pitch you over the side. And turn over that bag of spice." I held out my hand. Reluctantly, Goose gave me a grubby leather pouch that stank like bilge water. With the tips of two fingers, I carefully took the pouch, returned to the deck, and flung the smelly stuff overboard.

Behind me, Africa said, "I hope dat his muthers secret spice. It good fo nuthin' but putting the hex on someone."

"Yes, the spice is gone, thank God." I looked toward the mouth of the bay, where the Relentless was just crossing into the open ocean. In her wake, the Rakehell followed, her reddish sails full-bellied as the wind picked up. Africa had the crew well in hand, and the ship was trim and tight. Before going below to relay the plans to the Cat and Jane, I asked, "How is the new boy working out?"

Africa glanced to where the young man was coiling and stowing rope. "He a bit green, but he be alright soon. I make sure."

I smiled at my first mate. "Well, since you have all well in hand, I'll go below and go over the plans for the voyage with our new guests."

"Where we goin'."

"For starters, Havana. But keep that to yourself for now."

He made no comment, but his eyes got a bit wider as he nodded acceptance of my last order.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jane an Red Cat were settled in th Ward room busy pourin over charts. They were discussin the possible translation of wot markings there were in Spanish, occasionally stopping to disagree over the meaning of one or the other...or laugh at the possibility of what it might be.

In between they spoke of Roberts, Jacky Tar and their past adventures. Red Cat was feeling the glow of anticipation for a new adventure and the promise of treasure. Course the second glass of aged Brandy may have helped....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I stopped in the doorway of the wardroom and eyed the two women. Charts were spread out all over my desk, but I'm sure neither knew just what our first destination was. I gave the Cat an exasperated roll of the eyes. "How the hell did you break into my brandy again?"

All she did was grin back at me and take another swallow.

I entered the room and made to reach for the bottle. "Might as well join you, but this is the last of it, since from here on in, we need to be on our toes and sober." The Cat graciously poured me a glass of my own and handed it to me. I nocked down a swallow, then addressed my guests. "I've just had a meeting with Jacky. Our first port of call is Cuba. He says he can get us in and out of Havana with no trouble from the Spanish. There are papers we need, and he's going to get them. Until we are safely out of that harbor, the Rakehell and the Relentless are merchant ships. Once out of Havana, we head for the Dry Tortugas. If for any reason the ships become seperated, either by weather or enemies, we each cut our losses and head back to the Pub and safe harbor. Any questions?'

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dillard came back t' the quarter deck, an I said, "Handsomely done, Mister Dillard."

He smiled, an I asked him t' take the helm, "Aye, sir." He replied. "Please join me in me quarters fer dinner this evenin', Mister Dillard. I wish t' discuss our destination, an course o' action when we get there."

I didn't want t' leave Dillard in the dark, an yet I knew better than t' put out too much information. Some news could fly around a ship faster than ye could put on yer pants. I needed t' watch wot the crew knew 'bout this voyage. Too many new crew an guests. I decided mayhaps, I should invite Silkie an Roberts t' dinner as well, an see how fast I could change fer dinner.

Roberts had rolled from his hammock and sat on his sea chest rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He'd helped the crew wherever he could..teaching some, lending muscle to others and enjoying the daily life on a ship once again. Even though he was a guest of Mr. Tar, the crew took to him and they traded stories and song as they had worked stowing stores and folding canvas.

As Roberts rubbed his face with his hands, he stood and stretched.. easily meeting the beams above with his weathered palms. He stood for a moment considering what bell it was and realized he was getting hungry. Roberts donned fresh shirt and stockings. placed his hat at a jaunty angle to reflect his good spirits and tucked a spyglass fron the chest in his wesket. Looking more like an officer now he headed up the ladder.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I said, "Perfect timin'," as Roberts strolled on deck. "Mister Roberts, if ye'd be so kind as t' join me fer dinner, in me quarters. Please, bring Silkie wit' ye. Should make fer interestin' dinner conversation, don't ye think?" I spun on me heel. an headed t' me quarters, 'fore he could answer or protest.

As Roberts came up from below, he was aprocached by Captain Tar, who bade him join for dinner. However when the mention of Silkie McDonough came up, his mood became a bit cross. Not wanting to be rude to th man who'd been so generous with his accomodation, he gave a slight bow and headed below. Along the way he fingered the coin in his pocket. She was an aluring creature but had a strange air about her.

"Women don't belong on a ship" the old superstiton cam back to him as he came upon the lass who was reading perched on a trunk. He was just wishing Tar'd believed in such things when she looked up and greeted him with a smile. No longer seeming otherworldly but instead almost plain. Save for the freckles and those green eyes....

Silkie looked up at the big man who aproached so quietly she did not notice him until he was standing next to her twirling a coin between his fingers. The lass looked up and smiled to see the tall blue eyed sailor looking so dashing in his navy waistcoat.

"Mista Roberts!"

She was pleased to see him. He smiled down at her dispite himself and the candel light glinted off of his golden toothed grin.

Roberts was caught off guard by the sudden simplicity of the lass before him. She greeted him with a warm smile and he considered that perhaps he'd been wrong the other night. Mayhaps it was the new moon. He straightened a bit and addressed her..

"Ehrm..Miss McDonough....Capt..er Mr. Tar requests we take supper wi' him in his cabin. He set me t' fetch ye up" He flashed her a smile and extended a hand to help her up from her perch. She seemed shy an a little flustered in comparison with the night before. He chuckled an led her up to the deck..

Silkie thought that she had been taken on as a crew member but to be invited to the captains table, was she a guest? She was glad that she had taken time to clean up before she sat to read. What of this rogue she now walked with? He seemed almost distant, rather formal when she looked up at him as he extended the captains invitation. He had been so warm and flirtatious on land. Could he suspect her true nature? He had looked deeply into her eyes when she boarded. Perhaps too deeply. As they walked they chatted about the weather, the clear day and smooth sea. He did not ask about her arrival after dark yesterday. She hoped he was now convinced that he was mistaken about what she knew he saw in her eyes.