The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts had the odd sensation that though before him stood a smallish lass who's looks spoke of some breeding and a friendly simple air..there was something deeper, unexplained. His hands felt clammy and when she leant up to kiss his cheek it was a powerful sensation. As if she were more than a mere lass and held an aura about herself. He was glad at the arrival of Mr. Tar who seemed unaffected, as if nothing out of the ordinary took place.

Johnathan Roberts shook off his doubts, as perhaps just the events of the day or the Brandy over little supper. He led Miss McDonough below to her berth and left her with a cordial wish for a good night.

As he lay swaying with the incoming tide, turning the coin in his hand, it occured to him she had looked away...

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silkie failed to ask Captain Tar to have her duffel bag brought up from the boat tonight. She hoped there would be no rain this evening. Strange that she was not asked to check her weapons with the master gunner either. Ah well, this was a new ship, with new rules. She hung her belt with both Murdoch's and the baldric that held her cutlass within easy reach of the head of her hammock along with her bodice then climbed into her hammock.

Laying there she worried about a ship full of superstitious men and how they may take the mysterious appearance of a woman after dark. Well, never mind. The Captain was the man who's confidence she needed to earn and she hoped she had succeed in making a step in that direction tonight.

Roberts, she smiled, she would just have to fall asleep thinking of those brilliant blue eyes.

I retired t' me cabin, an pondered this latest turn o' events. Granted Silkie could swim, but could she dive on a wreck. Mayhaps position a grapnel, or retrieve some lost treasure, while in her other form? We'd find out soon enough, if she could.

Did I see Silkie kiss Roberts on the cheek? I must speak t' her in the mornin', can't hav one o' the crew kissin' another. Her bein' a selkie would cause enough problems, let alone her bein' a woman. I tried t' weigh the positives, against the negatives, it were too close t' call. Roberts certainly looked distracted in her presence.

I picked up the bottle o' brandy, an poured another drink, an laid down on the bunk. In the days ahead, Havana. I hoped we were ready.

Red Cat woke before dawn had colored the Eastern sky.

She dressed silently, plaited her hair tying it with a ribbon at the end. After placing her pistols and dagger in a small chest and securing the key about her person, she armed herself only with cutlass and headed up to see if the others would be partaking an early breakfast before setting sail.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The excitment of a new adventure had me up before dawn, pacing the deck, and looking toward the Relentless. As soon as there was enough light, I had Africa send up a signal flag for the captains to meet. I needed to talk to Jacky, find out what our itinerary was, and make contingency plans if the ships got seperated. I wanted every avenue covered as well as could be, before I risked the Rakehell to this treasure hunt.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The mornin' bells had sounded, the crew was comin' an goin' from the galley, I was anxious t' get to it. Swung my legs out of the bunk to pull on me boots.

Spoons had left a pitcher an bowl fer me t' wash up. Despite the man's years he was sprier than a most young men. I washed me face an hands, glancin' in a mirror, I wondered how does one wash away the years at sea?

I left the cabin t' find Smithe, t' sail the jolly boat t' the Rakehell.

When I saw the jolly boat being rowed toward the Rakehell, I was relieved. I very much wanted one quick meeting with Jacky before we set sail. It would have to be quick, as the tide and wind were in our favor, so the ships would need to weigh anchor soon.

When the jolly boat bumped along side, I climbed down to her and jumped in. Still holding onto the mooring line, I looked at Jacky. "Send Smith up to the deck. I want to talk in private."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Heading upon the deck, Red Cat trailed a hand along the rail as she walked, absently counting the paces along the way. the wood was still damp from the night and the sun was just turning the clouds a pinkish color. As she walked she came upon Captain Ransom deep in thought. "Morning Captain, wot be th word this fyne day?" She only answered with a curt friendly nod and dissapeared into the Relentless' Jolly, which had come alongside.

Smithe, crossing paths with the Captain climbed over the rail to the Rakehells freshly swabbed deck an Red Cat bade him come along to the Galley for breakfast. The two walked along speculating about the upcoming venture and dissapeared in the galley which was filled with the smells of bacon biscuits and coffee..

"Smithe, do as the captain says, go aboard the Rakehell. I'll be aboard shortly, mate." The man scampered up the rope ladder, an disappeared over the main deck railin'.

I turned t' Ransom, "Anything else Captain Ransom?"

"Don't be an ass, Jacky. You've never called me captain before, why start now? I want to talk about this trip. I need to know what you've got in mind for this voyage, and what we should do if the ships become seperated. Do you have a rondevous point in mind? Sorry I'm rambling on so fast, but we don't have much time, and I'm a worrier."

He didn't say anything at first, just listened to me.

"It's not that I don't trust you, because I do. I just like to know the plan, if there is one. I mean besides tramping all over the Dry Tortugas looking for gold and magic water."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Did she always hav t' be so direct, I took a breath, "Aye, good mornin' t' ye too! Our first port o' call is San Cristóbal de La Habana. We need information 'bout the Spanish fleet which is sailin' those waters. I need some papers that says we are doin' legal business wit' merchants there." She knew the game, the Spanish had seized ships in these waters.

Did she always hav t' be so direct, I took a breath, "Aye, good mornin' t' ye too! Our first port o' call is San Cristóbal de La Habana. We need information 'bout the Spanish fleet which is sailin' those waters. I need some papers that says we are doin' legal business wit' merchants there." She knew the game, the Spanish had seized ships in these waters.

"Havana? That's a bit risky, don't you think? The Spanish are thick as fleas on a dog there. Can't we get the papers somewhere a little safer?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jane had long since given up on the idea of sleeping the night before such an exciting journey. Instead, she remained in the galley, feet propped on the heavy table. She drifted into a meditative state, considering the trip and her new crew mates until the early morning when Ransom's would be cook came fumbling into the room. The girl stayed silent, pretending sleep until the pot on the fire began producing a terrible, burnt and somewhat sour odor. She had nearly starved on her last ship from lack of provisions, there was no reason to starve on a fully loaded ship.

"Wot are ye doing?" She stood up, stretching slightly as she peered into the bubbling pot. The man grumbled but mostly ignored her as he continued to work. She sneered as he dumped several handfuls dried fish and a chopped turnip into the steaming pot.

"Oh no no." Jane couldn't watch the man any longer. A pointy elbow pushed him away from the fire, the other hand waving in front of her nose to disperse the fowl odor of his cooking. "Git on, lemme do it right, aye. If Ransom 'as a problem wif tha, I'll take tha blame."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

In the small Galley, Red Cat introduces Smithe to some of the Rakehell's crew as they pass through fer their mornin repast. Jane is bickering wi th galley cook an his erstwhile pot. Exchanging grins at the two, they take a seat an fall to a game of word trading, laughing and drinking coffee..when Africa walks in rubbing his eyes..

"No, the Spanish tax everythin' in those ports, an yer papers better be Spanish."

"The British sunk the San Jose, off Cartagena, Colombia. So findin' friends an papers there is out o' the question."

"The treasure fleets still assemble in Havana, an from there we can ride the gulf stream t' the Dry Tortugas."

"Alright, if we must go to Havana, we must. But, what if the ships get seperated? Either by weather or attack, it could happen. Where do you want to meet back up? And how long do we wait for each other?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I don care if it's a family recipe goin back ta tha beginin o time. Tha is not stew." Jane batted at the cooks hand as he attempted to add another ingredient to the simmering pot. "Honestly, 'ow ye had a family atall if tha's tha kind o food they ate is beyond me."

She smiled at Red Cat as she made herself at home, passing a heavy mug of coffee over to the other lady. With an apron covered hand, Jane pulled a pan off the fire, the mouthwatering aroma of bacon wafting from the skillet as she turned to the others gathered around the table.

"'ave at it. There'll be more n faster if this lout'll gev up his darned pot watchin." Blond head jerked in the cooks direction, stopping him as he attempted to pour a handful of spice in while she wasn't looking.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

"Here's t' Jane! a woman wot know her way about a pot" Red Cat graciously accepted a second mug of coffee, toasting the green eyed lass. Smithe just grinned, amused at the antics which took place among this crew an filled his plate from the steaming pan.

"Goose, 'fore the lass cooks ye, stand down mate." The lass the Cat called Jane, seemed t' hav the cook well in hand.

I stick me thick stubby fingers in t' the skillet, an grab a sizzlin' piece o' bacon, "Jane this bacon is perfect, lass." I turned t' the Cat, "Trouble ye fer a mug o' that brew, lass?"

The company in the galley is grand, but I mumble, "I should be gettin' back t' the boat, an see t' Mister Tar."

Red Cat fixes Smithe a mug an fills a flaggon as well. "Well Smithe, take this to Mr. Tar wit me compliments. Tell 'im the CAt says fair seas"

"If it goes badly sail back through the Windward Passage, an head back t' Jamaica. It's best t' cut yer loses."

I looked in t' her blue eyes, "The real risks will be in Havana, the Spanish are under attack from French, Dutch an English privateers throughout the caribbean. The Spanish could mistake us as privateers, an then we'd be facin' Spanish galleons."

"Pah! Wallowing pigs on water. Yeah they have the cannon power, but we can sail rings around them, or fly before them and escape. It's the landing in Havana that I don't like. Trapped in a hostile harbor, if they sniff us out, we're shooting ducks. Is there no way to anchor in a more secluded bay, then go overland into Havana, arrange for the papers, and be gone?" I cocked an eye. "And just just what do you intend to tell the authorities in Havana our busines is? Two English ships in Spanish waters are going to look a bit...odd."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I don care if it's a family recipe goin back ta tha beginin o time. Tha is not stew." Jane batted at the cooks hand as he attempted to add another ingredient to the simmering pot. "Honestly, 'ow ye had a family atall if tha's tha kind o food they ate is beyond me."

She smiled at Red Cat as she made herself at home, passing a heavy mug of coffee over to the other lady. With an apron covered hand, Jane pulled a pan off the fire, the mouthwatering aroma of bacon wafting from the skillet as she turned to the others gathered around the table.

"'ave at it. There'll be more n faster if this lout'll gev up his darned pot watchin." Blond head jerked in the cooks direction, stopping him as he attempted to pour a handful of spice in while she wasn't looking.

Goose glared at the interlopers in his galley, especially the pushy one who'd grabbed his spoon. Just who did the chit think she was, anyways? He'd been cooking stew for this crew for over three years now, and no one had died. 'Course, he didn't get many compliments neither. He sniffed. The bacon had him drooling, but he wiped his mouth on his sleeve and pretended he wasn't interested.

When she wasn't looking, he dropped a bit of his mum's secret spice mix into the stew. A vapor smelling of dried seaweed and old socks wafted through the small galley. Goose crossed his arms over his scrawny chest and gave the blond-haired woman a smug grin. "Can't have fish stew without the proper flavorings, now can ya? Just goes ta show, ya don't know everythin' there is ta know 'bout cookery."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Cat wrinkles her nose at the smell ..grabs an extra piece o bacon "On second thot Smithe..I'm right behind ye lad"