The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts did not step away from the lass in question. He simply leaned back into a more casual posture. Turning to address Ransom with slight incredulity in his voice.

"Threatening yer crew..? nay Captain.." He held a hand out to assist Jane from her perch at the edge of the hatch. To even her own surprise she accepted and daintily stepped down with Roberts leading her like a gentleman of court. He suspected that though unafraid of him, Miss Melchert strove to avoid conflict of the type which could grow out of proportion. Likely due to years of conditioning by her oft violent husband who was given to unanticipated fits of the most ill temper.

With Ransom, Red Cat and himself at opposing corners and close quarters, this was a powder keg which could be easily primed.. given the right circumstance.

A host of strong wills and quick tempers which at other times could be loyal compatriots.

"I've come at the behest of Captain Tar" Roberts used the formal title even though Jacky had maintained he preferred the title of Mister. He knew this would get beneath the fairer Captains skin just enough to perhaps redirect some of her anger at the invocation of the other man's name. "If you would Captain," He continued in his most unaffected and official tone "May we speak of the upcoming journey? Captain Tar has need to know if you..and the Rakehell will be ready by morning"

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incensed as Red Cat was at the man who now held all atention on deck, she inwardly admired his wile. Aye Roberts were suddenly a master at turnabout, then he'd add the charm which could be so arrestin coming from a pirate of his dress and stature.

Just as she was musing on this, Captain Tar has need to know if you..and the Rakehell will be ready by morning" ..

She winced. Roberts had gone mayahp a bit far. That was going t' cost Jacky when next Ransom had him in her presence...

Needing to dispell what could get worse she piped up.

"Ransom, I gave 'im permission t' come aboard in yer absence. Figured ye need not waste yer time an let him come say his piece. Now as ye two has business t' discuss, I b'lieve I'm hungry and ye Miss Melchert after all tha wok needs some sustenance." She hooked the pale woman by the elbow an dragged Africa along below decks. "We need t' keep the guests fed Africa, whars yer sense o duty to th fair ladies man?"

Sputtering and glaring over his shoulder the big dark man looked to his Captain fer permission to be dragged....er go below.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Cat, let go of Africa, he stays here," I barked. "If you want food, take Goose, he's the cook."

I kept my eye on Roberts. I didn't like the way he thought a bit of smooth talking was going to sway me over to his side. Did the man think I'd been born yesterday? There had been no mistaking Jane's agitation and discomfort, despite Robert's courtly act. And the fact that the Cat felt it necessary to hussle Jane away told another story.

Africa had shaken off Red Cat's hand and returned to his post behind me. I addressed Roberts calmly. "So, you're an emisary, are you? Then why didn't you come find me directly? I've been told it's a small ship, I'm not that hard to locate. Instead, I find you leaning over one of my crew in what I still think was a threatening way."

I stepped forward, so that no more than two feet or so seperated us. "You can inform Commodore Tar that the Rakehell, her captain, and her crew will be ready to sail at the first tide in the morning. If that was your only purpose in coming here, then you are now free to go." I stepped a foot closer and met his hard stare with my own. "You observe, Mr. Robert's, that your tactic of charm has been used on me before, with the same poor results. Don't rely on it again."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Jane yelped as Red Cat caught her by the arm, the smaller woman dragging her with some determination below deck. Jane scrambled, trying to keep her feet from tangling in her skirts as the Cat continued to pull her along. They had stumbled into the galley before Jane managed to over power the other woman.

"Geeze, Cat. Lemme go!" A worn heel dug into the planked floor. Jane's arm jerked free, sending her stumbling backwards a little at the sudden freedom. With a huff she settled in one of the wooden chairs, shaking her blond head in exasperation. "Honestly n we 'aven't even gotten under sail."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Roberts stared cooly at Captain Ransom..she reminded him of such a woman he'd faced before. It bore more thought fer sure. Aye he could charm th ladies, but the lass before him wouldn't be swayed so easy.

"Don't go flatterin yerself Captain.." he said with the most cordial gold filled smile he could muster. "I'll pass yer message t' ... Captain Tar.."

Roberts turned, eyeing the big man still glaring at him from behind Ransom and spoke once more. "As fer comin aboard, I was on me way t'deliver Catpain Tar''s messgae directly, but yer little Cat waylayed me. If ye have a problem about it. ask her wot sh's got herself is such a row abou. " Roberts was annoyed that Red Cat had once again belayed his plans. "Captain.." he said an turned t' go back to the Jollyboat. Listening as he left the Rakehell fer th sound of a pistol bein cocked.

Red Cat flopped into a chair and picked up a biscuit from the table. She inspected it and tossed it back with disgust. "Damn that man" she said. "damn pirate" Seeing Jane was still looking cross an rubbing her arm she apologised for the hasty move "Sorry lass, but I did ye and Roberts a favor." Jane raised an eyebrow. Cat selected another biscuit an looked about for some Jam. When none presented itself, she began to poke around the immediate stores for something to add to the plain bread. "Had Ransom questioned ye together ,ye may have had t' divulge wotever it be that yer both hidin." She shot a sour look at Jane who stared back. "I had t' think quickly..aha!" Selecting a small piece of salted fish, she sniffed it , an satisfied tucked it in the biscuit and sat upon the corner of the small galley table. "Y' see Roberts an me..we go back a ways.." As she spoke The Cat turned the biscuit in her hands lookin fer the most appealing corner to start on "Owe him much I do, an don't go askin. I've had no rum today an too much drama already."She looked at Jane a moment "I jus look out fer his scurvy hide now n then." Red Cat took a bite and wished for sauce or good dark vinegar "Ye've nothin t' fear from him. Oh, he gets a bit outa sorts bein a man an all.." She considered Roberts recent intrusion on Miss Melchert. "But he knows ye be me friend an wouldn't cross me"

I watched Roberts leave the ship. He was a cool one, and that was for sure. Despite my misgivings, I had to admire the man's bravado. But, better men than he had tried the charm routine, and had found I was imune. The Rakehell wouldn't still be mine if I fell for every charmer that came along.

Once Roberts was off the ship, I went below, looking for the two women. I found them picking through the victuals.

"Alright you two, out with it. Treasure hunting brings out the worst in people, without already starting with the worst. Let's get all the mysteries out of the way at the outset. You've already seen what trouble they can cause. No more evasions. Spill it, or this ship goes no further."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat stuffed a large piece o fish in her mouth an looked innocently up at the Captain, leaving Jane with the task of an answer. As she chewed ...slowly..she thought to herself Aye this will be tellin..

"Wot's ta spill Ransom?" Jane looked innocently at the red haired captain, shrugging her shoulders. She picked up a hard piece of biscuit, turning it over in her hands but not daring to take a bite. "Like I said, 'nythin tween meself n Mr. Roberts tis in tha past n I'd be jest as happy ta leave it there."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat looked at Miss Melchert..wot past? she wondered. Damn Roberts fer leavin agin. She wouldn't speak wi him now until they made their first port.

Cat stood, whisking her hands together to rid them of crumbs and addressed Ransom. "I'm goode wi that. Ransom. I've no secrets which need tellin, but I kin give ye me loyalty and I'm sure Jane is in accord. We erhm.. ladies...must stick t'gether. I do b'lieve we're lettin th men get t' us and we've a ship to sail. I propose on our first night out t' sea that we have ourselves a rum n chat on decks. Should clear th air. As fer me ..I'm off t me journal an early to me hammock. She looked at Ransom.."That is..Ransom if ye needs nuthin else" She smiled warnly and stifling a yawn realized she'd barely slept.

The sun was beginnin' t' set, an the jolly boat was tackin' her way back.

When Smithe brought the small boat along side, a scowlin' Roberts climbed back aboard the Relentless.

"Mister Roberts, I trust the Rakehell will soon join us in open water," I said t' him. His countenance did not improve, an he nodded. So I said, "Ye look like ye could use that brandy, now! Join me fer a drink in me quarters?"

We settled in t' me cabin at a table, which had two empty crystal glasses an the bottle of brandy. I poured a bit o' the amber liquid in t' each, an handed one t' Roberts. I warmed my glass in my palm, swirled it, an sniffed it.

I knew Ransom had raked Dillard over the coals. I suspected Roberts charms were lost on her, too. "So, are they ready t' make sail?" I sipped the brandy, an waited fer Roberts reply.

Roberts took his ease in the handsomly appointed cabin, settlin into a heavy chair. Mister Tar had opened the bottle he'd left, and soon he was partakin of the fine smooth Brandy.

Feeling more at home Roberts recounted the events on the Rakehell an said "Aye Captain Ransom says the ship'll be ready t' make sail on the dawn tide." As Mr. Tar emptied his glass Roberts returned the favor by filling it again. "So tell me then what are t' be our plans Mr. Tar?"

"Fore we sail, t' the Dry Tortugas, we'll sail t' San Cristóbal de La Habana (Havana). We can trade some contrabando an information. Don't want t' be in Spanish waters wit' out business, lest the Spanish sink ye on principal." I scanned Roberts' face, "Ye did tell Ransom we was sailin' t' Havana?" His expression told me, he had left out that little detail.

Roberts stared into his brandy as he swirled the amber libation.

He shook his head and laughed lightly rememberin Ransom in all her glory threatenin everyone on decks.

"Well Mr. Tar, ye should know, she weren't in a receptive mood. The woman barely allowed me t deliver yer inquest 'fore throwin me off the Rakehell. Sorry if I left out that detail, but I believe we can still convey the plans. Long as she don't answer with a broadside! He looked up an laughed.

The sun was setting fast. Not fast enough for the lass so anxious to set sail. She could go anywhere she wanted with little restriction yet she so loved human contact, being aboard ship brought closeness to both the water and humanity that nourished her.

As darkness fell she dove below the jolly boat when next she broke the surface of the water her tanned fingers groped for the side of the jolly watt. Once contact was made she placed the soaked seal pelt between her knees and rubbed the salt water from her eyes. It always amazed her that the salt stung so when she changed under water. Looking into the boat she noted where the dry clothing laid. Reaching for her pelt she flipped it into the jolly watt with a splat.

After looking about to check that it was nearly pitch dark she placed both hands on the side of the jolly watt, pushed herself below the surface of the water and then pulled herself up with all of her strength in one fluid motion into the boat with a thud. She sat up in the dark and wrung the water from her tresses. Fumbling in the dark she found the haversack and pulled the dry clothing from it. Although she first dried herself with the haversack the long shirt clung to her wet skin as she pulled it over her head. Gathering the hide from the bottom of the boat she wrung as much of the water from it as she could and hung it over the seat across from her, then tugged her breeches on with just as much effort as the shirt. She hated getting dressed while still wet, it was a nuisance but she also knew that she could not appear on deck nude. Standing, her feet spread wide for balance she tucked in her shirt. She slipped her feet into the rope sandals, and shrugged into her bodice lacing and tying it deftly then tugged her hair outside of her shirt collar. Folding the wet seal pelt she put it in the haversack. Standing her feet placed wide on the bottom of boat she strapped on her belt, clipped on the Murdocks, slung the sword baldric over her right shoulder and the haversack over the opposite shoulder. She would have to have a talk to Captain Tar regarding leaving her valuables in the jolly boat when it had been docked and left unattended.

Leaving the duffel bag in the boat she grabbed hold of the onboard ladder. "Oi!" She waited. "Ay Oi!, Permission to come aboard?!"

Red Cat looked at Miss Melchert..wot past? she wondered. Damn Roberts fer leavin agin. She wouldn't speak wi him now until they made their first port.

Cat stood, whisking her hands together to rid them of crumbs and addressed Ransom. "I'm goode wi that. Ransom. I've no secrets which need tellin, but I kin give ye me loyalty and I'm sure Jane is in accord. We erhm.. ladies...must stick t'gether. I do b'lieve we're lettin th men get t' us and we've a ship to sail. I propose on our first night out t' sea that we have ourselves a rum n chat on decks. Should clear th air. As fer me ..I'm off t me journal an early to me hammock. She looked at Ransom.."That is..Ransom if ye needs nuthin else" She smiled warnly and stifling a yawn realized she'd barely slept.

I let out a exasperated sigh. "Well, you two are about as forthcoming as two clams. Have it your way," I glared at Jane, "but don't con me with all that 'it's in the past' bilge, as it's obviously still a problem now, at least with Roberts, otherwise he wouldn't have been hovering over you like some vultur."

Red Cat yawned and I decided to drop the issue, as we all needed our sleep. "Before you retire to your hammocks, get something decent to eat. We'll be up at first light tomorrow, and hopefully Jacky will let us know where our first port of call will be. Then I agree, we should have a little chat, rum or no rum."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat took a last walk upon deck before retiring to her hammock. She walked to the rail and looked up at the mast cutting a path through the constellations, the rigging drooping down like a spiders delicate web, each piece important in it's own right. She breathed in the cool salt air and turned towards the bay. The decks of the Relentless seemed quiet and she smiled anticipating a stiff ocean wind which would play havoc with her locks in the rigging tomorrow. Red Cat took a last deep breath, nodded towards tha other ship bobbing gently on the tide and said softly "Fair night Jon, JAcky" and headed towards slumber.

Johnathan Roberts had waited for the last bit of light to leave the sky and the watch to change.

He walked the topside trying to appear at ease..but was decidedly not. Miss McDonough hadn't been clear about just what watch she'd arrive on, nor how. As he paced the larboard side, he wished for his pipe and almost retrieved it despite Mr. Tar's spoken rules. But he was a sailor and kept his dicipline, instead worrying a coin in one hand. It was an old habit and an old coin. One he'd gained on a trip of fortune in his earliest years of sailing. The surface had almost been worn smooth after years of his turning it between his fingers when he had not drink nor his pipe to occupy hisself.

As he mused, a smallish sound reached his ears seeming to come from the water line. Roberts headed towards it and found the lass standing on the ladder above the jolly boat as if she'd appeared out of thin air. He stopped short, gripping the coin so hard it's sharper edge dug into his fingers. "Miss McDonough" he said almost under his breath. She handed up her haversack. He pocketed the coin, reaching down to take the parcel and her hand which was warmer than it should have been, had she ridden over on any boat in the evening air. Her clothes were curiously damp and her eyes held an errie sparkle. Roberts for all the fearless man that he was, felt a chill through his bones at the contact.

I lay in my hammock, listening to the creak of boards, and the slap of water against the hull. The small stern window was cracked open a bit, to let in a little of the night air. I thought of the coming voyage and what it might mean for all of us. Riches, or just a grand adventure? Who could tell? I thought of Jacky, and hoped he wasn't too angry over the Commodor joke, but it wasn't too often I got to tease him about something. If he knew me, and I think he did, then he'd know the trueth of it.

With my eyelids growing heavy, I pulled the blanket closer to my chin, settled a bit, then let the night take me, trusting that Jacky would not knowingly lead us into danger — but ready, as always, to watch his back if danger reared its ugly head.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

“Tank ya lad!” Silkie smiled brightly at Roberts. “I’m tinkin det I needs t’bae check’n in wit d’Capn’ er d’quartermaster o’dis ere ship.” She reached out casually for the haversack hoping he didn’t make note of how heavy or damp it was. She avoided his eyes so he wouldn’t see how nervous she was having it out of her possession. “Tank ya fer waitin, doh I suspect det ya woold ave been on deck anyway lad.” She also remembered, perhaps a bit too late that her eyes may still showing the effects from having been in seal form for so long. “M’duffel bag’s still in d’jolly boat” She somehow managed to give him a kiss on the cheek and not look him as he leand in to hand her her sack. “Ifin whom ever fetches d’boat could take em t’mae hammock …err, wherever Capin Tar’ may wont m’t sleep I’d bae most appreciative.” She stood straight her sack securely slung from left shoulder to right hip looking over the deck “Now ken someone take mae t’d’Capin?" She winked at Roberts.

As were me custom, I decided t' stretch me legs 'fore turnin' in. When I spied Roberts standin' next t' a lady, on deck.

Aye, under the cover o' darkness, an no boats 'bout. There she stood, side a nervous lookin' Roberts, wit' a concerned look upon his brow. I announced me presence, so not t' further spook Roberts. "Good evenin', Silkie. Welcome aboard, lass!"

I waved off Stones who had also taken notice, of the unusual arrival.

I turned t' Roberts, "Mister Roberts, ye look a bit slack in the sails." Brandy an a woman boardin' a ship at sea, wit' out transport, will do that t' ye. He mumbled somethin'.

"Mister Roberts, if ye'd be so kind, take Silkie below." I turn t' Silkie, "If ye need a bit o' privacy, we can hang a few sea blankets as curtains, fer ye." She declined, an followed the befuddled Roberts, below decks.

As Red Cat lay in her hammock she wondered if Silkie had made it aboard the Relentless...

She ran a hand through her hair, shifted, and fell asleep.