The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Mr. Durant, is there a problem?"

Nate almost didn't hear the capin call his name. Stopping half way down the aft scuttle, he reversed direction and approached. Saluting, Nate stood at attention and after a short hesitation spoke in a low even tone. "Not sure if anything be wrong just yet, ma'am. Roberts asked if I'd seen th Red Cat since the storm fell off, which I haven't. So I be lookin fer her and haven't yet laid eyes on her. She been topside while I were below?" Nate stood and looked about the deck, hoping ta spot the Red Cat somewhere, but his eyes turned up naught.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Silkie, if yer more inclined than Mister Dillard, t' join the crew o' the Rakehell, I'll extend t' ye the same offer!"

Silkie turned to Jacky making eye contact. "I knows why m'on dis voyage. But when I does wot ye' wont's done I'm gonna need ta be sure I gots people I trust round mae. Otter den u dem's on det ship!" Silkie pointed at the Rakehell. "Ya seen ow it weakens me."

....So I be lookin fer her and haven't yet laid eyes on her. She been topside while I were below?" Nate stood and looked about the deck, hoping ta spot the Red Cat somewhere, but his eyes turned up naught.

"Are you sure you've searched everywhere. The Cat has a knack of hiding in out-of-the-way places when she doesn't want to be found. However, this is not a huge ship, so she must be somewhere. Take Tunny with you. Search again. Then let me know when you find her."

Nate nodded and turned away to continue the search. I watched him go, refusing to believe that Cat, smart sailor that she was, would have managed to fall overboard during the storm.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Silkie, since when were ye nervous 'bout goin' in t' the water, luv?" I sighed, "I'll hav yer back, even if I hav t' throw Dillard in the water t' watch it." Dillard winced, as Smithe shuffled him away.

I chuckled, "Ye know when the Spaniards netted ye, I thought Dillard might swim out t' rescue ye." Silkie gave me a doubtful glance. "Aye, it was the first time I've seen him express any concern, 'bout yer well being."

"By the bye, the ships in the Dry Tortugas might lie in as little as thirty feet o' water. If luck, or chance, favors us, ye may not need t' take yer other form. Sides, I've heard tell, ye can dive t' that depth in yer maiden form."

Nate did as the capin ordered and took Tunny with him. For the third time Nate poked through the ship, searching high and low for Red Cat. Nate even went as far as opening any unlocked sea chests, leaving no possibility of a hiding place. Barrels with loose lids, sacks of supplies, anywhere a body might find solace away from prying eyes. The only place Nate hadn't looked was the capin's cabin and he weren't going there without permission. "I dunno Tunny, unless she's in there, you got any ideas where Red Cat might be?" Nate again had a hand on his charm and looked toward the overhead and mumbled a prayer barely audible to anyone near.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

"Aye lass, I wouldn't mind seein' the faces o' Red Cat, an Roberts." I replied, "But we best keep Ransom, an her crew right where they are, lest we exchange more than words."

I smiled, "So, ye still hav a soft spot fer that fella Roberts, do ye?" I didn't expect an answer. "We're only a few days out, from our next anchorage. Mayhaps upon our arrival, saner heads will prevail, then we can resume bein' in hailing distance o' that ship."

Colard was aware of a new tension on board. It was obvious that a search of the ship was in progress, and that Nate,especially, was distraught. In fact, a general air of malaise had settled over the Rakehell after the abortive meeting with the Relentless and her captain. Colard had thought that once the two ships were reunited, things might ease up a bit. Captain Tar's reaction to their appearance had not been what Colard expected, and it worried him. Bad enough that the Spanish were most likely still on their tail, but if these two ships were at odds with each other, then what hope did they have if the galleon caught them up? And if Captain Tar didn't want them as a sailing companion, then why were they still following his ship?

Not being an overly superstitious man, Colard was nevertheless getting a bit jittery over the whole situation, and hoped his sense of foreboding was due to nothing more than an empty stomach and the want of a good tot of rum.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

"Roberts aint wot's got m'riled. Sumtin's wrong on det ship n'I kenna make ya stop cuz I nil ave reason save a feelin." Silkie turned on her heel and walked away from the captain, he hadn't given her an orders and she wasn't in the mood to follow then now. "Fekin lovers spat!" she hissed under her breath.

Africa went below to get a bite to eat, but was back on deck within minutes. He glared at the white sails of the Relentless, and touched the small bag of corpse powder he wore on a cord around his neck. He wished that ship would sink into the ocean, along with her captain. No good had come to the Rakehell ever since Ransom had fallen for the man. Africa could not understand the attraction, and was helpless to do anything about it, other than curse the Relentless under his breath. And now the Cat was missing. Another sign of the bad luck that had haunted them ever since they started on this cursed voyage.

Mumbling, he went back to the helm and relieved Jimmy Cox, who, silent and sullen as the rest of the crew, merely nodded and headed below.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Cabrón!" Tomas exclaimed as he struck the sailor. The man grabbed the back of his head quickly feeling for blood. He grabbed the man by the throat and thrust a pistol into his neck. "AGAIN!" The man scowled as Tomas cocked back the doglock. "Your choice, señor." Tomas smiled. "Profundizo o morir.

"El Guerrero!" cried the quartermaster. He reached for the pistol as Tomas stared the man down. The quartermaster whispered to Tomas, "We shall find the treasure presently sir, but the men, the men are frightened of your repute, sir."

"I pay them to dig, not to think."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

As Silkie went off in a huff, I muttered t' Stones, "Why couldn't we hav recruited a male selkie? Aye, I'm beginning t' come around t' Dillard's way o' thinkin'. Women aboard a ship bring bad luck, or worse." Stones nodded.

I continued my sermon 'fore the mast, "Women are temperamental, and unreliable anywhere aboard a ship, except the galley." Stones chuckled, an added, "They is a handful, suh."

"And like rats, once aboard, we must learn t' live wit' them." I said wit' a smirk. "Or, at the very least, keep their number in check!"

"Men, nil know when t'listen! Bull headed brawn most uv d'time ..." she continued to mumble until she found herself once again in the galley seeking the company of Rosie. She said nothing as Rosie continued her work choosing to simply lean against a timber and think. She broke the silence, "You know Jacky rather well don't ye? Ow' does a woman get tru t'im?. Rosie simply smiled, her eyes sparkled, she rose an eyebrow and briefly began to undulate in dance. "I'm friends wit Ransom ...sides ...tain't feelin like det wit im ...well ...not while Ransom n'im are ummm ...dance partners." Rosie gave Silkie a knowing nod and returned to her work while she contemplated an answer..

Summin ..r' someone were tuggin at her hand. Th' odd jerks shook her back t' conciousness. Red Cat opened one eye an th gull turned 'is head focusin one eye on her as well. "Bah! let go! " she shouted causin it t' squack an retreat a few steps. Cat tasted sand .."Ptoo!" her feet were oddly wet. She lay there a moment realizin she were layin.. an sat slowly up. She looked at the bird a moment as she tugged off her boots emptyin th water from each one. So much were in 'em she wouldna been surprised had a few fish flopped out. "Wall?! how'd I git 'ere?" the gull interested in the contents of her footwear and almost seemin dissapointed no fish DID flop out, merely stared back .

Cat felt fer her cutlass an pistol which were still there. Then looked wildly about. She leapt forward snatchin a small leather purse on a string 'fore th sea snatched it back. She looked out at th empty water an back at the purse, she lamented leanin at th' rail for it, as it nearly washed over havin fallen from her person. She'd carelessly leaned too far an as the Rakehell lurched t' her larboard, Cat had been tossed clean over. She'd clung t' the ladder a moment, but th next wave washed her an her shouts clear o' th ship. She scrambled to her feet an to some higher ground. Off in th distance, just th tip of a mast could be seen. There were some small atolls not far from whar they were an she supposed she'd washed up clingin to th flotsam wot had washed o'er the side wit her. Red Cat didna shout an jump up an down. They'd not hear her , and she may not be alone from man nor beast whar she stood. She ambled back down th craggy rock to th beach an set about searchin within her coat in hopes of some dry powder.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

It became painfully clear that Red Cat was not on board the Rakehell. Somehow, without anyone seeing it happen, she had fallen overboard during the storm. There was no way of knowing if she were still alive, or if she were, where she had washed ashore. And I was pretty certain, in Jacky's current mood, he would be of no mind to risk capture by going back to look for her. It could even be that the Spanish had plucked her from the water, and she was already a prisoner.

The crew took it as one more sign of our bad luck. The grumblings got worse. Unflattering comments about the Relentless and her captain got more vicious. I decided it was time to let the whole crew know just exactly where we were going, and why.

With the ship running smoothly, I called the crew to a meeting at the waist. "No use dancing around the subject. I know you're all angry at our reception by the Relentless. You are all wondering why I continue to follow her. I follow her because she is after gold in the Tortugas, and Jacky knows where it is. Have patience, my darlings, and all good things will come our way. And have no fear, I will make sure you each get your proper share. I didn't risk this ship and your lives in order to return to port empty-handed."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate stood in place as the others aboard the Schooner went back to their business, a bit happier for what the capin said. Nate was still unsettled at loosing Red Cat. It would not do for him. He looked to the heavens, "Father, I know not what yer doin, nor why, but I ain't about ta let it slide. Oh no, not ol'Nate." After a moment more, Nate boldly stepped aft to what served as the quarterdeck. "Capin, Ma'am, a word." He stood, fists balled at his sides. When capin Ransom approached, Nate looked her in the eye. "Ma'am, I ain't never doubted you or yer ability as capin in my time aboard. Ye been fair ta me, an I suppose I own ya fer it. But I also owe Red Cat fer savin' me life as well, along wit that other lass. I can't just turn me back. Give me a boat wit a sail, an extra bottle o' powder an shot, some food, a chart n' compass. If she's out there I'll find her an have her back aboard soon as I can. You can spare me, I ain't necessary ta th crew. At best, we'll meet ya in th' Tortuga's. At worst, I'll meet ya in the Tortuga's." Nate stood, jaw set with a look in his eyes that he would not take no for an answer.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I studied the man for a moment, and was mildly annoyed at one more issue I had to deal with. "Your loyalty to the Cat is admirable, but what, sir, if you neither find Cat, nor land. And besides myself and Captain Tar, no one knows exactly where in the Tortugas we intend to go, so how would you find us? And what makes you think I can spare a jolly boat, when I've a crippled ship as it is? You ask me to risk a whole crew, so you can save one person, who may already be dead? Does that sound like a wise decision, Mr. Durant?"

(Quick OOC note on schooners re: the Rakehell. She has no poop deck. The deck is all the same level, merely fore, mid, and aft. Guns are on this main deck, not a lower gun deck. There is a small galley, and the captain's small cabin — that's it. The rest is open cargo hold, and the crew sleep where they can. Thanks.)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate raised an eyebrow and the corner of his mouth rose as well. "Capin, Ma'am, I's a fine sailor, better'n most. Some says I got luck, I says I got God on me side, most o th time. An He says more bad things'll happen if we leave one behind." Nate shot a look at a crewman who stopped and looked at him as he spoke, then shuffled off quickly. Nate turned his attention back to the capin. "The crew's already spooked. The Lord'll help me find Cat. She's livin right now, but who can say if I don't go find her. Yer ship is sounder than many I've sailed upon, unless ya take a broadside in the same spot, she'll hold." Nate lowered his voice. "As fer findin you in th Tortugas, that'll be on you. a map wit a mark is all I ask. I'll be there. Ye gots two boats, the smallest be a trifle ta part wit fer a short time. Th Father as my witness, I'll have it back to ye." Nate looked at the big moore and smiled at him, which caused him to touch the small bag around his neck and grimace back at Nate. "Me. A bottle o' powder n shot. Two days o provisions fer two. Th little boat. A map n compass. Fer a handful o days. Would be bad luck ta leave a good sailor behind."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I'd had enough of this cursed voyage. I'd had enough of bending to the will of others, and not keeping my own council. I wanted what I was used to, and I wanted around me those crew members I'd sailed with for years, and in whom I had previously placed my trust. The situation between the two ships had become critical, and I wanted no one on the Rakehell who wasn't focused on the job at hand.

I gave Nate a hard, cold stare. "Very well, Mr. Durant. You can take the small boat. However, you will not be going alone. If you truly want to waste time looking for Red Cat, then you also take Roberts with you. With her gone, the two of you will be wandering these decks like sick moon-calves. Powder and provisions I'll give you, and a compass and chart. But I'll make no mark on it to tell you where we'll be, for if the Spanish find you, I'm not going to hand them our location on a silver platter. You find the Tortugas on your own. That's my bargain, Mr. Durant. Take it or leave it."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate thought a short time, looked to the heavens and a slow grin followed by a slow nod. "Aye capin, fair deal, aye. Spanish'll not fine me, but ye want me ta find you folks in th Tortugas, I knows where they lay, just a pin-prick on th map'll do. Yer choice. Thankee Ma'am, capin. We'll have Red Cat back aboard soon as can be had." Nate grinned his wild grin and went to collect his gear. When he returned topside, fully armed and a bag over his shoulder, he was singing. Farewell an adieu to ya fair spanish ladies, farewell an adieu to ya ladies o spain!

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Jonesy was in the crows nest, whistling, and pointing in the direction of the Rakehell.

"Mister Tar!" I shouted, "The Rakehell has lowered a Jolly boat, into the water, sir."

I grabbed a spy glass, to get a better look. "They don't appear to be reefing any sails. They intend to launch under full sail?" I glanced up at Mister Tar, who looked as puzzled as I.

It appeared that only two sailors, were climbing down into the small boat, too.

Nate had put all his belongings in the small boat, along wit the supplies given him. Roberts had tossed in a bundle of things as well stood on deck wit Nate. "So Mister Roberts, looks like we be all set ta find Red Cat. Ye gots all ye need ta spend some time in a wee open boat?" Roberts looked at Nate, not too sure he wanted to spend whatever time they'd be off with the odd Irishman. "Aye, Nate, I got wot I need I think, lets be off already." Nate gave a wild grin. "Aye old son, we're off!" Farewell an adieu to ya fair spanish ladies, farewell an adieu to ya ladies o spain! Nate was over the side and into the boat quickly setting her to rights. Roberts put a leg over the side when something flew up and whacked him in the head, sending him tumbling back on to the Rakehell. With a curse he stood up to find his bundle laying on the deck. As he turned to look over the rail, the lines to the small boat went slack. "My apologies Mister Roberts! I can't let ya leave th ship short-handed! Not to worry now, I'll have this here boat back to ya, ship shape, an Red Cat too!" Roberts and some others looked and saw Nate pulling like mad on the sweeps, making as much distance as he could. "Have faith man! He tells me it's all gonna get sorted out! See ye all in th next port!" As he got further away he began singing 'spanish ladies' again.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Roberts pulled a pistol before th' last syllable O' th crazy Irishman's tune reached his reddened ears.

He stood there aimin an cursin ol' young Nate summin awful. So blue was th' air that Collard looked to th' sky fer a bolt a lightnin from th' almighty afore he quietly but firmly suggested a shot might be heard by either th Relentless r' the Spaniards. Neither o' which he cared t' see agin so soon.

Roberts hadn't released th' charge on account o' two reasons. Both o' his superstitious nature.

One, cause if'n th Almighty really did foller this daft lad about..it wouldnt fare well ta be sendin him home.

Two because he'd really been a little afraid t' find.. or more correctly not find her. Summin told him she be alive sommere..he wanted t' cling t' that hope.

"Aye Mr. Dysart...." he grumbled and shoved the pistol back in his belt.

Robert's didn't move from th' spot...just stood an glared out at th sea as if willin himself t' see her 'fore Nate did.

Frustrated and now more cross than ever..he threw a few more curses at the little boat and it's lone inhabitant as it receeded o'er th' swells an turned t' do his duty all th' while a prayin in 'is own head. Th crewman before him scattered back to their tasks as well not wishin t' incur th' wrath of an already beleagured Captain. A quiet fell across th' Rakehell save for th sound o' men workin as they should, knowin better n' ta create on more reason fer their rum t' be cut.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Th small snuff tin held some dry powder...enuf fer a few days anyhows. Her powder horn hadn't fared so well an th damp contents were now in two clamshell upon th flat rock Cat took up as a temorary workplace. Th' sun was still high after th storm had cleared an she hoped it would do th' job despite th humidity.

A short scouting mission'd revealed no smoke from fires, no ship r' boat an no sign o' inhabitants. Though she knew well there may be.

It did however, provde lunch. Red cat dined upon Mangoes an crab cooked over a wee fire. At least th' tiny extra piece o flint had dried quickly enough t' make a fire. Just near th' shore a scraggly stand o' palms gave enough shade t' escape th' heat which dried her belongins scattered about th large flat rock. Cat sat forlornly pickin at the mango an stared out at th' endless sea.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate pulled and pulled til his arms ached. He set for a time before unrolling the chart and checking his compass. He had marked the location o the schooner when the last bearings were made, so he had a good idea where he was. Nate gulped down some water, put up the mast and rig, set sail and was soon headed in a northerly direction and back along their course. Nate kept his eyes peeled for anything in the water, and as soon as he got close enough to land, he would scour the shoreline. Nate continued to hum 'spanish ladies' all the while.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg