The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

We awoke to cannon fire and a night sky. The capitan was quite a sight, in the moon light, without his breeches. He strode across the deck, kicking and cursing those still unconscious.

The ship began to move, very slowly, as if it too suffered a protracted hangover. Thankfully, the capitan had retired to his cabin, to regain his dignity.

When the capitan came back on deck, we were advancing on the location of my ship. As we got closer, it was apparent that the ship was not as I had left it. The ship was badly damaged, and could not get underway. This seemed to reignite the capitan's fury, and he ordered the Spanish soldiers back to his ship.

With the soldiers back aboard the galleon, the capitan seemed willing to leave my ship behind. I pleaded with the capitan that I be allowed to return to my ship, and help make repairs. It was then that he ordered the broadside, and finished the sinking of my ship, with the remaining crew aboard her.

The first mate asked if I still wanted to return to my ship, as we left it and this bay behind us. I bit my tongue, and didn't answer, but I assured myself I would not forget this night.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all my concintration on the ship ahead of us, the sound of guns behind us had me whirling around to look over our stern. In the darkness it was hard to see what was going on, but it was obvious that the galleon was on the hunt, and her first victom had been the smaller vessel Jacky had dismasted. Why the Spaniards had sunk their own companion ship, I did not understand. What was clear, however, was that the galleon was following us.

I turned to Africa. "Put this ship on her elbow if you have to, but get us away from that galleon. With the wind picking up, we should out-distance her in no time. But let's get to it."

While Africa called the order to set more sail, I sent warning thoughts to Jacky, as if he could hear me despite the distance between our two ships. "Run for it, Jacky. Put up every sail you've got, and run for it."

As if nature were on our side, the wind picked up even more, lightening spiked through the sky, and thunder, louder than any cannon volley, boomed overhead.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate happily followed the orders called out by the big moore. "Aye me boys! haul away, haul away home!" He yelled above the roll of thunder, "We's gonna outrun this devil an we gots God on our side!" Nate burst out in wild laughter and shook a hand up at the heavens, sheeted home the foresail and hung onto a brace as the ship heeled over wit the force of the wind. Soon after they were dowsed wit a cold, heavy rain. Quite a relief from the sticky heat they suffered in the lake.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

While hauling in line, Colard heard crazy laughter and glanced over at young Nate. Sometimes Colard wasn't sure the lad was quite right in the head. When another fork of lightening lit the sky, the grin on Nate's face looked almost demonic, and Colard has pause to wonder if it was God the young man spoke to so often, or a less savory deity.

He had little time to ponder the question, as the ship ran with the wind, her scuppers almost awash. It gave Colard's old heart a thrill, it did. And he has cause to thank his own, good protestant God that he'd landed on this ship, and wasn't still sweating his life away back in Cuba.

When the rain came, the cool feel of it on his face was like a balm, and he suspected that the grin on his own face matched that of young Nate's.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

"I'm goin't chance a venture t'd'galley. See wot Rosie may ave t'help mae regain m'strength an mahaps wake mae up gain. After all I m crew, shes gots t'tollerate mae at sea."

"You may want to thank her while you are in there" Jacky stated flatly.

"Jacky I m nil plannin on bein rude, I l tank er.

"I mean for rescuing you."

"Wot?" Silkies brow furrowed in question.

"If it were not for Rosie you would still be on that galleon."

Jacky gave a short synopsis of what happened and how they got away. Silkie sat in stunned silence for a moment. "Well den, I best go tank er."

On Silkie's way t' the galley, I noticed Mister Dillard gave her a wider birth than usual, and it made me chuckle.

"Oi, sire." I says, "Ye spend much time at sea wit' this lot, an Miss Silkie wouldn't seem so peculiar. Blimey, it's not like she has two heads!"

Mister Dillard looked cautiously in her direction, an I think he'd a been happier, if she had two heads.

Silkie chuckeled at mister Dillards behavior and wondered how he would react to her songs now.

She knocked lightly on the galley doorway in order to get the attention of the cook. Rosie looked towards her. "I needs sumthin t'wake mae up mayhaps coffee, n'I wanted t'tank ya fer usin yer gifts t'bring mae back aboard d'Relentless"

The storm continued to pick up strength and the schooner ran with the wind. Nate had retreated below along with all other crew-members to keep from getting soaked to the bone. Some had put on foul weather gear and headed back to their station. Nate was in the bow, again stripping off wet clothes, wringing them out and not having more to wear, putting them back on again. Nate was happy as could be inside the little ship being tossed around on the wide ocean. He was grinning one moment and the next a look of almost fear. "Oy, you hear that? Sounded like - Lord Almighty! The leak!" Nate jumped up and ran through the ship, bouncing off of bulkheads and people. He made his way to where the spanish cannonballs did their damage to the hull. The patch job was holding for now, but barely. Nate heard more than saw the water streaming in, being pushed through wherever it could from the pressure of the ships speed. "Father, have ye joined forces wit Saint Murphy?!?!" Nate exclaimed and took off like a shot, heading on deck and aft to where the capin stood, braced in the wind and wrapped in foul weather gear. Nate saluted and shouted above the wind. "Capin! We's runnin too hard! We's gonna spring them damaged planks we keep on at this speed! Ankle deep in th bilge now!"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

"Duely noted, Mr. Durant," I shouted back, then turned to Africa, who stood at the helm. "I think we have more to worry about with the storm, than we do about the Spanish. Let's drop off the wind a bit, and give the old girl a breather."

Young Nate still stood by, and I addressed him once more. "Keep an eye on the repairs, and man the pumps again. Take Colard and Jimmy with you. Whatever you do, don't let that repair rupture, or we're sunk for sure." Then I gave the young lad a narrow-eyed look. "You lose me my ship, Mr. Durant, and I'll haunt you for life, and beyond. Understand?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate gave the capin a surprised look and reached up as if to cross himself, but turned it into a salute. "Aye capin! Not to worry, ol' Nate won't loose yer ship!" He scurried off into the ship, rounded up Colard and Jimmy. They headed below with lanterns lit to where the hull was patched. The patch was holding, but not as well as hoped. Nate felt the ship change course and gave a sigh. "Good, capin changed course so as ta lessen th strain. Lets see if we can strengthen this. Colard, you did this?" The old Scotsman grinned. "Aye, that I did." Nate gave a quick nod. "Then we shall mend it further. Jimmy, man th pumps til I come ta relieve ye, ol' Nate'll be there soon as can be." Jimmy nodded and headed off. Colard and Nate got the tools and spare planking and set to work, adding more reinforcement to the patch, pounding what was there in tighter.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Senorita Silkie poked her cabeza en a de galley. Mí invito her en.

She keeps tanking mí an tanking mí. I esplained dat wee chicas hab got tu stick tugether.

Reímos (how ju say... laugh) about Dillard. Silkie esplain dat heem afrayed of her. Mí tell ella dat mi tink heem afrayed de mí tu!

Nate and Colard banged away with mallets for near an hour, wedging in the reinforcements and finally the water was just barely seeping in. Both sat back and wiped their brows. Nate tossed his mallet into the toolbox and grined at Colard. "Right fine job well done, mate. Nate'll go tell capin how things lay, see if she'll take th pressure o full sails on er." Colard nodded back taking deep breaths from all the work. Nate stepped lively from the bilge and up all the way aft. Up on deck in the rain he found the capin. She saw him and narrowed her eyes. Nate snapped a slaute, "Capin, ma'am, we gots th leak braced tight. I think she'll stand th strain o full sails if ye wish ta do so."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Good work, Mr. Durant. But I don't think we need to worry too much about the Spanish. This storm will have that galleon wallowing around like a bathtub with sails. We need only hold our course, and catch up with the Relentless."

I gave the man a smile. "Take yourself and your helpers to the galley for a quick ration of rum, then get back up on deck. If this storm gets any worse, I'll want all hands ready."

Although the rain was heavy, and the wind crying in the sheets, I didn't think it would build to a full-blown tropical storm. No, it was just mother nature showing off a bit, and putting us in our place. With any luck, it would blow itself out by nightfall.

At that moment a bolt of lightening blazed from clouds to sea, St. Elmo's fire glowed hell-fire green in the rigging, and the Rakehell, leaning into the wind, lived up to her name.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

This storm was nothin', compared t' those we weathered in these parts in the past. The rain didn't dampen the crew's spirits either, and it was a relief t' be back at sea. No one was happier than I, not be staring' down the barrels o' those Spanish guns.

We'd lightened the sails, an 'tween the flashes in another wise dark sky, we caught a glimpse o' a ship off our stern. Too few masts t' be the Spanish galleon, an too busy wit' the tempest 'fore us, t' be a threat at the present time.

Nate grinned his wild grin and snapped off a salute turning quickly on his heel he near ran down to the bilge to get Colard, and stopped at the pumps to get Jimmy. "Capin wants ta thank us fer our fine work wit a gil o rum! come along quick as we're ta be on deck right after!" The smiles widened and Nate let the others proudly to the galley to claim their rewards. They presented themselves in the galley like war heroes and were given their rum. Nate drank it down in two parts, rolling it about across his tongue enjoying the bite of the spirits. Nate hummed a bit as he did so, and soon as the other two were finished they headed on deck, Nate manned the pumps and the others took up their stations. As Nate pumped away and the rum warmed his innards, he looked around at the others on deck, seeing who was in high spirits as he was.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The storm was abatin', an I could hear peals o' laughter comin' from the galley. I needed t' lie down or fall down, an as always Stones was ready t' take the helm.

"I'll be damned," I muttered, fer it appeared that the ship off our stern sported raked sails.

A man o' few words, even Stones said she must be holdin' herself t'gether wit' bits o' twine.

"No," I replied, "Just held t'gether by an iron willed captain!" There was little doubt that it was the Rakehell, which despite the beatin' she'd taken, was plyin' these waters.

Colard stood at the bow again, the tot of rum in his stomach creating a warm glow. As he'd figured, the storm was already blowing itself out, and they were much closer to the brig, which he recognized as the Relentless. Even with the Rakehell's damaged hull holding, Colard was releived to see those sails ahead of them. At least they could be rescued if the mend let go.

He glanced up at the captain, her face drawn with fatigue, her red hair flying in the wind, and decided that, even should the mended timbers burst, she'd flog them all raw before letting this ship sink.

Colard had known many captains in his long life at sea. Most were pragmatists. If their ship sank and they survived, they'd find or take another, with no regrets for the one lying on the bottom. A rare few others became married to a single ship — as if it were a live thing. It could work for good or ill, depending. So far, Colard figured it had worked to the crew's advantage. He'd wait and see, as he always did. But he admired her, that he did, and felt no belittlement at working on a ship captained by a woman.

He grinned over at young Nate, and started to sing..."And we'll row this chariot along, we'll row..."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Nate kept pumping as he heard the old Scotsman start singing. Grinning back, Nate picked up the tune. "We'll row the old chariot along, and we'll all hang on behind." They sang a bit longer until the pumps started clanking loud. Nate let go of the handle and put his hands on his knees. "Th well be dry!" Nate let the water run down his face and drip on the deck like so much of the rain coming from the heavens. Nate wasn't sure what the next order to come would be, so he stood fast and enjoyed the idle time for the present. Looking about he saw more smiles on deck. Off the starboard bow were the sails of the Relentless and they were closing fast on her. Turning his eyes back to his own ship he noticed certain members of the crew. Tis good ta be back at sea, fine sights ta see. Aye, fine sites. Nate thought to himself and smiled at some of the others.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I was determined to get within hailing distance of the Relentless. And if the weather calmed enough, wanted to have a meeting with Jacky. We'd not spoken, other than hurling insults at each other, since Havana. Was he still angry with me for leaving? Well, if he was, he better get over it. We needed to have a plan, for if Spoons was the reason the Spanish were following us, then I knew he was after the treasure we were looking for, not any of the emeralds Jacky smuggled for Navarro.

That made me think of the nice little chunk of green in my secret, locked cupboard, and the reason it had been given to me. Despite my fatigue, I smiled. And I realized that no matter how much Jacky and I fought, there was a bond between us that would never be broken.

Next to me, Africa looked at the Relentless, then back at me. "Why you smile like dat?"

I grinned back at him. "Mind your own business."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Mister Tar retired to his cabin; so, I approached Stones before retiring myself.

I glanced at the ship, we all believed to be the Rakehell, and said, "I think even if we were sailing towards the Spanish Armada, she'd follow." I believe Stones chuckled.

"You know," I continued, "She left us in Havana, and she'll cut and run, again." Stones nodded. "She's a moth to the captain's flame, until she feels the heat, and where we're going, it's going to get very hot!"

Rosarita was right about the "chickas" having to stick together and Silkie knew it, especially now that her secret was out in the open. Silkie asked Rosie how she was able to dance the men on the Spanish ship into a trance. "Et es like walking, I jus do et." Silkie raised a barely visible eyebrow. "Hmmm, I can do that with my voice ...could be dangerous avin d'two of us on the same ship." Rosie nodded as she peered over the rim of the tumbler she sipped from her eyes dancing with mischief. "We es dangerous chicka."

It got close to evening when the storm dropped to no more than a steady, stiff breeze. I had Africa bring the Rakehell alongside the Relentless, and through cupped hands, called across the twenty yards of water between us.

"Ahoy, the Relentless. I need to speak with Captain Tar."

Next to me, Africa huffed. "He still mad at you. I bet he don answer."

"He bloody well better answer. It was his damned cook that holed my ship. I want a word or two about that." Then I gave him the kind of grin I knew he hated. "Besides, I know Jacky will be glad to see me." Then the grin faded as I turned back to the brig. "Well, at least I think he'll be glad to see me."

There was no response from the Relentless. Members of her crew lined up at the rail and stared at us, but no one called back.

"See, I told you. They all mad at you," Africa said smugly.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Oi, I better alert Mister Tar," says I, as I walk briskly t'wards his cabin.

Knockin' lightly on his cabin door, an speakin' in an almost hushed tone, I says, "Sorry, t' disturb ye sire, but the captain o' the Rakehell would like a word wit' ye." Someone inside barks, "Wot she's unhappy that the Spanish didn't sink us, and she's come t' finish the job!"

Turnin' on me heel, t' rejoin the others at the rail, I mutter, "Best be prepared fer the sparks t' fly, ol' son."

As I approached the railing, where most o' the crew was standin', I noticed me stocking fluttering in the breeze, attached t' a rat line, above her head. Was the stocking meant as flag o' truce, or a trophy?

"Alright lads, return t' yer stations, I'll speak t' their captain." I shouted.

I shouted in the direction o' the Rakehell, "Ahoy, captain o' the Rakehell, state yer business."

Nate were glad the storm had abated and took a moment to take off his foul weather gear, stowing it beside him in a niche. As they drew up beside the brig Nate laid a hand across a swivel gun and put a foot on the carriage of the deck gun close by. Nate weren't sure o the looks on the faces of the crew across the water from them. half looked like they was seeing ghosts, the other half just wore a blank stare. Nate looked to the heavens. "Father, please let ol' Murphy have a rest or summin. One day o smooth sailin would do a body good, aye?" As the two capin's called back an forth between the ships, and the words were less than cheerful, Nate crossed himself and touched his charm beneath his shirt.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg