The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Africa stood outside the captains door, listening and waiting. When he heard the crash, he tried to open the door, but it was locked.

"What go on?" he shouted. "If dat man hurt you, I kill him!"

The was a thud, then silence.

He tried the door again, then kicked at it. "I break it down, if I have to!'

Then her voice, sounding a bit strange, shouted, "Not now, blast you."

Africa paused, thought a moment, then shook his head and walked back up on deck.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She had always wondered at these men who would come and go from her home in these large boats. She had managed to sneak aboard the vessel when it came to her island. In daylight she hid, after most had fallen asleep she went to seek food once again. Nibbling on a dry biscuit she watched from her hiding place, then she saw him. Tar! Those older than her were angry he had fled but were pleased with the second that they had found. Tar disappeared behind a door with a goddess in glittering white, she sat in awe. From behind the door came noise of a struggle. A big man, with darker skin than her own pounded on the door yelling words she did not understand she slid back into the shadows hoping that none had seen her.

I crawled around the cabin floor, gatherin' my clothin' which was scattered 'bout. Not wantin' t' wake my amorous host, as she had finally fallen asleep. I left her on her bunk, still in the dress, wit' a content look on her face.

Havin' gathered most of me kit, I moved t' the door; quietly, I slid back the bolt that barred my way an crept out o' the cabin.

On deck an half dressed, I staggered t' the long boat.

Sunlight streaming through the transom windows woke me. Groggy, and disorientated, I went to swing out of my cot, but instead tumbled over and landed on the floor, my legs tangled in the skirts of the fancy dress.

"Bloody hell," I muttered, as every muscle in my body protested, then..."Oh, God!"

I suddenly remembered the nights activities. Cautiously, I looked around at my cabin. A chair was knocked over, books spilled about the floor, and my blanket and pillow were under my desk. Shite, I thought, we can't even make love without turning it into a wrestling match.

The dress was dirty, torn, and loose threads looped where beads, now glittering on the floor, had once been. Then I realized I was still wearing one boot. I started to giggle.

Getting awkwardly to my feet, I clomped to the my cabin door, and opened it. "Oi, Africa, you devil, where are you?"

He must have been hovering close by, for he loomed in the doorway. I pulled Jacky's knife from the wall and handed it to him. "Get me out of this blasted dress. Then tell Goose,...no, Ludo, to bring me coffee and breakfast. I'm starving."

Africa, frowning, cut the laces as ordered, then surveyed the chaos. "Musta been a case o'..." Having rolled his eyes heavenward, he suddenly stopped.

I looked up, and instantly bent over in howls of laugher.

Above our heads, hanging from a lantern bracket, was one of Jacky's socks.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat had been swayin in her hammock, happily back in garb one leg trailin over th side, dreamin o lobsters an very fine Brandy..

She stirred from th sound o loud voices an laughter. Eyes still closed she rubbed her nose daintily an turned back into th hammock wit a small "Hmph"..and began t' dream o plum pudding..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate woke laying below deck, his jacket as a pillow and covered with a rough wool blanket. His head swam just a little bit, but as he sat up it cleared mostly. Nate got up and brushed himself off, gathered his pistol, cutlass, and fancy sword. He didn't remember all of last night, some things were foggy and dreamlike. He knew he had spent some time with Red Cat once they were back aboard the Rakehell, but Nate didn't remember more than a couple more drinks, some vague conversation and then it got foggy. Nate made his way on deck and into the sunshine, hoping he would see Red Cat and maybe she would give a hint as to what happened for the rest of the evening. Nate also needed to give the fancy sword to the captain as soon as he could. How it still remained in is possession only God knew.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I rousted the lads whom had brought the long boat over, the crew o' Relentless might need the boat t' help dock the ship. Also, I wanted t' be back aboard sooner than later.

As we rowed toward the Relentless, I noted a lack of crew on deck. 'Twas early still, an no doubt the decks would be bristling wit' activity soon enough. But why wasn't Roberts on deck... or Dillard?

Silkie saunters up to Jacky "Der arr sum disadvantages to'aving d'earing of m'animal aff ...ad t'keep umming so's I wouldn' ear every sound ya'two were makin!" she laughed. Jacky, trying to ignore the comment asked after Roberts. "Ees avoidin mae, I'm sure eez not farr capn'. Sooo, dedya fin out anytin bout whatever we needs t'know?"

As I changed from dress to shirt, britches, and boots — both of them. I recalled that at some point during the previous nights activities, the emerald had fallen out of my bodice and rolled across the floor.

I searched and found it, glowing like a nugget of sea water, next to my clothes chest. I picked it up, examined it a moment, then hid it away behind the secret panel in the wall. Then there was a knock on the door and Ludo begged entry.

"Come," I said, as I braided up my hair.

Ludo opened the door with one hand, while a wooden tray balanced on the other. On the tray was coffee, bread, cheese, a mango, and some of the leftover fish from the crew's dinner.

He set this banquet on my desk, glanced around the cabin, gave me a wink, muttered something that sounded like "impetuoso", and departed.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I ignored Silkie's remarks 'bout wot she heard. She couldn't hav... I wondered.

The sun was risin' an me first mate an last first mate were still in their bunks! I brushed by Silkie, an went below t' raise the crew.

"Alright, ye scurvy lot, all hands on deck!" I bellowed. Every man jack was in his, hammock fast asleep. Frustrated, I started tippin' bunks. "Are ye sailors, or landlubbers?"

Dillard was the only one who landed on his feet, an gave half a salute. "Topside Mister Dillard!" I shouted, he smiled at that remark.

I turned t' go t' the galley. As I entered the galley, I was greeted by Silkie, again.

"Coffee?" I handed a mug to Jacky seems he needed it, foul mood he was in, and who could blame him? "I'll nil cook fer d'crew buot I managed t'make some oatmeal fer us." She scooped out a bowl for each of them leaving enough for one or two more servings in the bottom of the pot. "Wot er yer plans capn'?" Jacky just stood rubbing his eyes with his free hand and slowly shaking his head from side to side. Silkie continued, "Took mae a swim last night." She took a seat and slid the bowl of porridge across the table. "Come on man, ya needs t'eat. I wonted eggs buot we needs chickens fer dem." She chuckled lightly. Taking the spoon in hand she lifted the handle so that it stood straight up in the bowl. "Well, I hopes ya likes it thick." She laughed as she brought the hot oats to her mouth and tasted them. "Needs more sugar." Standing she reached for the block of sugar and scraped more into her bowl then slid the block, bowl and all, over to the captain then smiled as she continued to enjoy the sweetness of the brown sugar. "Most likely taint notin like wot ya ad las night."

I gladly accepted the coffee, chuckled at the sweet remark an stared at the spoon, which was standin' straight up in the oatmeal. "After we dock we need t' search in earnest fer a cook, or the crew over sleepin' will be the least of our problems."

There's some sausages an bacon in the larder, I thought I best fry some up. The coffee was passable, so I asked, "Silkie, if ye could make some more coffee fer the crew." I looked 'bout fer the large fryin' pan, "An I'll fry up some sausages. At least the lads will hav somethin' in their bellies!"

Silkie filled the huge coffee pot and put it on the fire, measured out the coffee and hoped it was the correct amount then went back to her oatmeal, she liked it thick, just this side of an oatmeal cookie!

"juchy, woot ..." she couldn't speak around the oatmeal so she sat contentedly chewing.

When I finally came out on deck, all work came to a sudden stop. My crew stared at me, most smirking, or giving me winks.

A goofy smile was plastered on young Jimmy Cox's face as he nuckled his forehead. "Sleep well last night, Ma'am?"

Anger would not work in this circumstance, so I grinned back. "Better than you lot. Now, if your done gawking at me, get back to work. We unload our cargo today, and I don't want any slip ups."

They all laughed heartily, and went back to their tasks with a will.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate had left the fancy sword in a corner of the rail, near where he was working. Captain Ransom appeared on deck and once she spoke, things went back to normal. Nate finished coiling some line and grabbed up the sword and approached her. "Ma'am, Sah, wanted ta make sure ya got this. Ya more deserve this than I." He held up the blade as he had before, balanced on his fingertips so she might take it and he could return to laying out lines and readying the ship to unload.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I examined the offered sword for a moment, then looked at Nate. "Are you sure you want to give this to me? After all, Navarro gifted it to you. It's a pretty thing, and even if you didn't wish to keep it, you could sell it for a tidy sum, or trade it for something you could use." Then I gave him a grin. "And if I do take this gift, don't think that's going to earn you added favors or less work. So, still want to part with it?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate thought for a moment. "Ma'am, Sah. I ain't trying ta curry yer faver, ain't tryin ta get out o work. I jus thought -." His mind was still slightly fogged from the nights activities. He took a deep breath, remembering what he had said back on shore when he first offered it to her. "I said I ain't worthy of it, maybe I could sell it, but not here. Bit of an insult I think." Nate got a look on his face. "Trade it for something I could use, how do ya mean, Ma'am, Sah?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I shrugged. "I had nothing specific in mind, only thought that if you hung on to it, at some future date, you might want to trade it for something you like better. I don't know your wants, Mr. Durrant. Maybe you have none, other than a warm bed and a full stomach. But the sword is valuable, and before you make a gift of it, I thought you should consider all alternatives."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"She be right ye know...." A voice came from behind....as usual th Cat had crept up on them. She stood leaning again th mast an gestured at the gleaming treasure wit a steamin tankard o coffee.. "Tha be a right prize...Aye, yer a good man Nate...tryin ta be fair an all by the Articles an such.." Red Cat glanced mischieviously across at Ransom "But ye'll find as ye remain in our company Mr. Durant...that we don't allus play by th book" Cat raised her cup slightly in a toast an brought the large brim of it to her lips steamin up long eyelashes. Ransom chuckled..

Nate turned to Red Cat and smiled a little bit. He nodded to her politely and looked back at captain Ransom. Nate weighed what both had said about the weapon and he stared at it trying to come to a decision. You could almost read on his face ideas that came and were discarded until with a slow smile and gentle nod he looked back at the captain. "Tank yer fer yer advice capin, Red Cat. Capin, I will keep it fer future use as needs arise. I would ask if ya would keep it under yer guard, as I got no place ta keep it myself, no place safe." Nate then looked at both the women and scratched his jaw. "Beg pardon, what's ya mean by bein fair by the articles?" His brow creased and he looked unsure for a moment and up at the sky. He looked back at them and grinned. "I need ta sign some articles?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I gave Red Cat a wink at Nate's comment. "All in good time, Mr. Durant. As for your fine sword, I'll stow it in my cabin. When you want it, just ask, and I'll return it to you." I gave them both a mock-stern look. "Now, back to work, the both of you. Today we get rid of this cargo and with luck, will be out of Havana by tomorrow. Which is none too soon, as far as I'm concerned."

Taking the fancy Spanish sword, I returned to my cabin and hid it in my sea chest. Then I returned topside to help with the preparations for unloading.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dillard entered the galley. "Mister Dillard, reacquainting yer self wit' the lay o' the ship? I believe the main deck is the other direction." I smiled, an offered him a sausage from the pan. "Grab yer self a mug, I believe Silkie has some coffee ready as well."

He knuckled his forehead, took out a knife an stabbed a sausage and went in search of a mug. Returnin' the pan t' the stove I said, "Send the other lads around fer a bit t' eat. Then get the men topside, we hav a ship t' dock!"

Nate saluted captain Ransom and raised an eyebrow to Red Cat and headed below to the space he claimed as his own, where he had his sack hung. Nate placed his pistol within and hung his cutlass beside it. He checked to make sure all his worldly possessions were still there, not that he had much. The clothes on his back, his weapons, some ammunition and powder, ink and quill and what was left of the log book from the Eliza. He hoped when they unloaded the ship he might find time to buy some personal things. He had but one spanish coin to spend. Nate hoped it would get him what he needed. Heading back on deck Nate continued coiling lines and readying tackle for hauling out cargo from the hold, waiting until they would haul anchor and sail the schooner to the docks to unload. Nate kept his eyes open for Africa, making sure he didn't get in the big moor's way, and o for the captain and Red Cat, he wondered what the deal was with 'articles'. He'd heard things, but was unsure.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red CAt came along th lee side wit a bundle o' canvas..strugglin a bit as it were longer than she were tall. She came upon Nate setting up tackle.

"Oi Mr. Durant!" She flashed him a smile an hefted th canvas "Help a lady out might ye?"

Nate turned and saw Red Cat with her load o canvas. He smiled back at her as he came over and wrapped his arms around the canvas and hefted it out of her arms. "Where ya want this ere bundle, Miss Cat?" Nate grinned at her and waited for her orders.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg