The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate's eyes went big as Red Cat hiccuped. He fought very hard not to laugh. But one small snort of laughter escaped his lips. The captain and commodore were talking more and soon there was talk of leaving. Goodbyes were made and although Nate was disappointed at missing whatever the desserts were, he was happy to leave. As he stood he felt a hand on his arm. Looking Nate found the commodore helping him up. Nate turned and saw the captain doing the same with Red Cat. Being careful with his gift, Nate took his time walking and bowed to those around them as they made their way to the door. As soon as they had exited into the fresh evening air and he had a couple lungs full, Nate felt better. Turning to his companions he grinned. "Told ye we'd be fine. Me Father told me it were so. That one Navarro was a fine fellow. The other, wit th scar." Nate pointed at his own face, tracing where the scar would have been on the spanish captain. "He weren't such a fine fellow, but his gift were a nice surprise. And, as I said afore, I ain't worthy o it. I give it to ye, Sah, Ma'am, capin Ransom." Nate bowed and offered up the weapon, balanced on his fingers to the captain.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah, Mr. Durant, you may have faith in the Father, but I'll wager he has serious doubts about you. As for the sword..." I suppressed a smile while trying to keep the Cat from falling over. "Since you seem steadier on your feet, and I have my hands full at the moment, you'd best hang on to it until we're back aboard the Rakehell. Then I'll be pleased to accept it."

At that moment Red Cat leaned against me, pushing Jacky's emerald into my skin. "Ouch...bloody hell, let's get back to the ships."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate stood upright slowly, his grin suppressed. "Well capin, say wot ya will, He believes in me, He believes in us all." Looking heavenward, "Aye Father, I'll tell em." Looking back at his companions, "Even th doubters, aye, even th doubters." He turned and began to walk to where the one coach and four stood, and with much grace, opened the door for the others.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat loosed herself gently from Ransom at th' coach.."ehh tbhankee luuv "she grinned at th' Captain and agin stuck her nose in th' evenin air ..an put out a paw pinky up...allowin Nate t' help her into th' carriage. Once inside, Cat sat , rather flopped down, an sunk into th' tufted velvet cushions...giggling an snortin wi an important air..as th coach began t' roll, along wi Ransom eyes..

a pinky up could be seen trailin out th 'open window..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Before the coach could go twenty yards I hollered for it to stop, which it did with a jolt, nearly spilling Red Cat onto the floor. "Our weapons? We need to get our weapons back before we leave."

I turned to Jacky, whose face was in shadow within the darkness of the coach. "You speak Spanish. Can you ask for them back?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate reached out to catch Red Cat as she spilled forward with the jolt. She caught herself quick enough and he settled back as Ransom spoke of their weapons. His resignation that he would not see them again had caught up with him as he had pretty much forgotten about his weapons collected at the door. Not that he was so very attached to them, but they were good weapons. The pistol was very new, as far as Nate knew he had been the first to fire it after finding it in the barrel. He still wished he had emptied as many others from the barrel before it had been lost, but he figured they were safe there. The cutlass he possessed was a good stout weapon, it felt good in his hand. Aye, Nate wanted them back. "Aye capin, good call, Ma'am Sah. I'll be happy ta be sent back ta retrieve em, by yer leave."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Aye.." Red Cat sobered at th converation. She had fergotten abou' th' weapons. R' at least that they be retrievin em. "We kin nil make th' trip back acrost wi no arms.."

"Aye" Nate said, then got a look on his face. "Hold fast there. Ye weren't armed when ya gots ere. Not since. . . . Not since. . . . Th bath ouse!" An me clothes are dere too!" Nate looked at the captain and commodore, waiting to find out what was to happen next. Nate wanted to get his weapons badly now after realizing that there weren't many weapons between the four of them so close to the estate.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I chuckled, "Relax Nate, yer sword an pistol are under the carriage seat, safe an sound. I opened me jacket an displayed me pistol."

"The bath house will be closed at this hour. There's a boardin' house nearby, where we can take lodgin' then pick up everyone's effects in the mornin'."

I tipped me tricorn back over me eyes, sunk back in t' a corner o' the carriage, as we trundled down the road towards the boardin' house.

Nate's eyebrows lifted and he checked under the seat. The commodore spoke truthfully, his weapons were there and Nate took them up to inspect them in the dim light. All seemed well with them, so he hung the pistol on his belt and laid his cutlass beside him, along with the spanish sword. Two swords could be no different. The cutlass was a stout tool, made for taking a beating. The rapier was delicate looking in nature and was more like a piece of jewelry. Even so, Nate was glad to have the extra arms. "Not ta question yer authority, commodore, but wouldn't we best spent th' night back aboard? Send a lad fer th weapons an all in the mornin, aye?" Nate wasn't liking the idea of spending more time on this foreign soil than he had to, prefering the solidity of a ships deck under his feet.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

With a secret smile, I settled back in my seat. Yes, I thought, for tonight, a boarding house with a nice soft bed and a little privacy was just what I wanted.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate, although intoxicated, noticed the look on the captain's face, and her quick glance at the commodore. No answer came to his thought to be back aboard ship this night, and he thought he might know why. He looked at Red Cat. Red Cat looked at him. He smiled and settled back in his seat, letting things be as they lay. Nate checked his pistol one last time and sat quietly.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Nate had looked at Jacky and Ransom, then at th Cat, she looked at her companions an then Nate whom had settled in an closed his eyes. She noted the slight hint of a grin turnin up th corner o Jackys lips 'neath his pulled down tricorn an knew hed been enjoyin the conversation. Knowin all th while whar everything be. He warnt a man o many wards at times..but she was used t' th fact that th' Commodore somehow usually had things in hand...well mostly. Ransom were herself despite th' fancy trappings an Ol' Nate was quite interestin..fun, but still t' be figgered out.. All seemed well wi th little group agin an a broad grin flashed across her face. Cat closed her eyes, still feelin th liquor an began t' doze..th' coach's wheel caught a rut in the cart road and jolted t' th right fore straightenin out again.. Ransom nearly slipped her corset an Red CAt giggled as Jacky had missed th whole thing. "Oi!, have a care we be sleepin ere" Cat grumbled still grinnin an fell asleep.

Nate had settled back and closed his eyes, almost. He watched Red Cat through his eyelashes. Tonight had been very interesting so far. He very much enjoyed being with her, and she knew how to have fun the way he did. He shifted in his seat and smiled, tipping his hat over his forehead, allowing him to more easily keep an eye open unawares. Nate nodded off once or twice, being jolted awake but the rutted road they traveled on.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I must o' dozed off, when suddenly the carriage lurched t' a stop. Somethin' didn't smell right, where were we? Even fer bein' late, the sounds o' the docks were absent.

The door o' the carriage swung open, an I believe we were at the gates o' Castillo del Morro.

I stepped from the carriage, looked around, then remarked with sarcasm, "Pretty impressive boarding house, Commodor."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate woke up with the final jolt of the carriage and tipped his hat back. He looked over and saw Red Cat snoozing away. The other two seats were vacant and the door open. "Looks like we be here ol' Nate, where ever here be." He sat up and stretched, grabbed hold of the side of the carriage for a moment to regain his balance and grinned. Looking at the sleeping form of the other passenger he smiled. Nate reached over and touched her arm and spoke in a low voice. "Wake up Miss Red Cat. . . . Lass, wake up, we've stopped an th capin n commodore are gone." He watched her as one eye popped open and surveyed her surroundings as a hand felt for where weapons should be. One hand reached down to bootknife. Nate sat back with his hands up. "Only ol' Nate Lass, tis well n good. I think we be safe, I think. I don't think we're at the docks, but we stopped." He waited for her to focus on him as the hand relaxed from the knife and both eyes opened. She yawned and stretched then, causing another grin from Nate.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat woke as summin were pokin at her. As the haze o' sleep cleared she sensed th' carriage had stopped. Th' fresh breeze blew through th' open door. There were no scent o' th Ocean tho..she reached down towards her boot. Then heard Ol Nate speakin. Cat opened both eyes an sat up. She surveyed their surroundings and noted th' Captains be gone. "Wot now? Nate, whar we be? Aye whars me sword? I've 'ad quite enough o bein unarmed." She searched aroun th coach grumblin...

The coachman was missin' an the large doors t' the Castillo were open.

Peerin' inside, I remarked, "Suppose were just t' make ourselves at home."

I turned t' Ransom, "I'm not waitin' fer the welcomin' party. Get back in the carriage, we're goin' t' the docks."

Helpin' Ransom back in t' the carriage an then I climbed in t' the driver's seat.

Once the reins were loose, I released the brake and gave the reins a snap. The carriage lurched forward as the horses started t' pull. "Aye, I could do this!" I thought.

Along the way, cursin' everytime the moon passed behind a cloud as we hurtled down the hillside, I'd pull back on the reins. My best efforts t' keep the carriage on the road did not go unheeded by the horses.

While I received no protests from the horses, I could not say the same 'bout me companions in the carriage.

It had been a very long time since Nate had gotten seasick, or otherwise sick, but the commodore's driving of the coach threatened to undo all that. Nate was trying to concentrate on keeping Red Cat and the captain, along with himself from bouncing off the roof or out of the carriage. On one bounce both swords in his possession seemed to float in mid air and he had to grab them fearing they might injure one of them when they landed. No one spoke aside from the occasional curse as they jostled and jolted along. Nate figured they were doing as he was, just trying to survive the trip to the docks.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Every fiber of my being wished I was back on board my ship. Jacky might be a fine sea captain, but his coach driving skills left a lot to be desired. At one calamatous bounce and roll, Nate's new sword drifted past my face and I had to knock it away before it left me with as nasty a scar as Navarro's.

With both hands braced on the coach's fine velvet walls, I prayed that Jacky didn't run over anyone, or crash the coach before we could make the docks.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Good Lord! woooagh!" Cat exclaimed an bounced as they rode at great haste to th docks. "I needs t be back on th water..a deck roollin under me feet I kin abide..but this whooo! be threatenin my constitution!" She tried t' lean foreward "Oi Mr. Tar! have ye lost all yer senses?"

Silkie had managed to slip away from everyone and into her element for a short time when her heightened senses told her that the others would be back soon. As unnoticed as she had managed to slip away she was unable to keep from site upon her return. The others on board wondered why her hair and clothes were soaked and gave her sidelong glances as she left a trail of water behind her. Luckily, none questioned her and she was soon dry and dressed.

The horses an I were both lathered, an I was glad when the docks were within sight.

The horses slowed t' a brisk walk, as we ambled up t' the docks. I saw no signs o' Navarro's men anywhere, not even in the shadows where I imagined them t' be. The horses stopped at the end of the pier. I set the brake and jumped down t' open the door o' the carriage, t' check on my companions (whom had not shouted any unkind remarks, the last mile or so).

As the commodore opened the door to the carriage, his three companions tumbled out onto the docks. Nate lay sprawled face up and seemed to be gripping the planks beneath him. "Father! Make it stop!" Nate finally let go of the dock and rubbed his eyes. Looking around and seeing where they were, he rolled over and stood shakily. After a moment he went to help the ladies up.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg