The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate tried to keep his concentration on plans of action, but with all these spanish concentrated about them it was difficult. Nate also noted some tension between the two Navarros, One seemed happy with the commodore and the other not. The one was now making eyes at Red Cat, no longer seeming interested in captain Ransom. Nate clenched his jaw as more spanish was spoken in their direction and he didn't know what was said. The two switched positions, as one stood the other took the vacated chair. As Nate took a drink from his goblet he mumbled under his breath to Red Cat, 'Bloody musical chairs.' and took a swallow of spirits. Nate slowly looked about the room, studying who was where, what was where, and how they might make a dramatic exit. He thought to interject a question in the conversation, Nate wanted to know when these windbags would get to the point of why they were here, as did the Almighty. Nate smiled some and again mumbled under his breath as he picked up his napkin and wiped his mouth. 'We'd like ta know if theys got a point ta make, if so, get on wit it.'

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

All eyes turned on Nate, an ye could here a pin drop, it got so quiet. I feared Nate might make some other remark an embarrass himself or worse. "Nate, all this prattle is just dinner conversation. No points t' be made here."

I turned t' our host, "T'morrow the Relentless will dock. We are a bit shorthanded, so if ye would make sure we hav a few extra stevedores, I would be indebted." Raphael nodded an said he would.

Red Cat still smilin serenly, made a small noise an glanced at Ransom acros th table...sure she would not like the idea of the Spanish aboard either ship..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate looked at the spanish folk, looked at his companions and nodded his head once. "Aye, Sah." He brought the napkin down to his lap and twisted it about in both hands out of view of their dinner companions. "Prattle. . . . No points ta be made ere. . . . We sit ere damn near unarmed while they be flauntin swords n all. . . . " Nate thought to himself. Looking across the table at the captain with the scar on his face who smiled at them, the smile was not truly friendly. Nate smiled back "Be happy ta wipe tha smile off yer face, I would." He thought to the man. Taking up his goblet he raised it slightly in a toast at the scared captain and took a drink.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As I stood, I noticed the sailor Senor Tar called Nate, glaring at me.

"Nate, you are a man of action, no?" I glanced at the twisted napkin in his lap, and asked, "Perhaps you would like to show your companions how skilled you are with a sword?" I signaled to one of my men, took his sword an placed it on the table in front of Nate.

Red Cat had still been lookin at Ransom when the challenge was suggested to Nate. The Spaniard's smooth accented tone belied that he was looking for some amusement perhaps, more than feeling anger. She hoped it was so, hoped Nate wasn't in fer too much trouble. CAt slowly reached down towards her boot again an sized up th men about Navarro's table still smiling demurely all the while.. she wished fer her cutlass an pistol an resolved ne'r t' be caught so unarmed agin. Which were completely unfamiliar t' her.

Nate looked at the sword on the table in front of him. He looked at the man who laid the weapon down, at Navarro, and at his companions. Nate stood slowly and bowed to the spaniard. "Aye Senor, I am a man o action. However, I am bound to follow orders o me capin. An further more, Yer brother has set such a fine table that I would not be at my best." He patted his belly to accentuate his words. He smiled and bowed to the other Navarro and picked up his goblet to salute their host. Nate sat down and looked at the commodore and captain. He looked to Red Cat and once everyone's eyes were off of him, he whispered to her. "Is this how all th friends o th commodore treat him an his companions? Lordy, I'd hate ta meet his enemies."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Despite his incoherent mumblings and evidente discomfort with his surroundings, Nate did not reach for the sword. After sittin again, Nate lifted the twisted rag from his lap and dabbed his dry mouth.

"Perhaps out of professional courtesy Nate, you might not want to eat the chicken!" I returned Nate's gaze, and waited for his reaction.

Nate looked the man in the eyes. His wild grin graced his face. He again held up his goblet "Touche`. . . . Oh, my apologies, that's french..." He sat the goblet down and looked at the others.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I didn't know what game Navarro was playing, but it had gone on long enough.

"Senior Navarro, Nate is under orders from me not to cause trouble in your city, or at your brother's table. To taunt him with a threat he is unable to answer, is benieth your dignity. You can hardly blame him if he chooses to return the taunt in words instead of weapons."

Nate started to grin, but I stopped him. "Don't push your luck, mate."

I returned my gaze to Navarro, who to my surprize, had not replied to my comments. "Please, let us finish our meal. Then we will return to our ships and you will no longer be forced to entertain company you obviously find distastful."

With deliberation, I stood, picked up the sword that lay on the table and returned it to the man Navarro had taken it from. With my heart pounding, and with all eyes on me, I returned to my seat, picked up my goblet and slowly took a drink, praying that I hadn't pushed Navarro too far.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate watched as his captain stood and made plain her position. Watching as she picked up the sword and returned it to it's owner, Nate drummed his fingers on his knee, he had hoped that the weapon would have been left on the table, for himself or another of his companions, if the need for such arose. Nothing to worry about now. He hoped her wishes would be granted, Nate was hoping to finish the meal. He had heard that some wonderful sweets were served for dessert at such affairs as this. Even as his mind wandered to such things, Nate remained focused on the scarred Navarro. Waiting in anticipation.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I answered Ransom's remakes, "¿Desagradable? No! I have enjoyed your company very much. I would hope before your business takes you away, you'd allow me to show you my hospitality."

Softening my expression, I said, "Nate is well trained, and that was no threat, just a invitation to a little manly competition. Surely, dueling has not completely disappeared outside the empire?"

It was odd Senor Tar had remained silent, and not attempted to fight in Nate's stead. Perhaps Senor Tar knew Nate had sword skills, and could match me?

"Mi hermano y amigos, I leave you to your dessert and coffee. I must depart."

To show there was no hard feelings, I took the sword back and placed it in front of Nate, "A gift!"

I bowed to my brother and left with my men.

Slightly bewildered at Navarro's actions, I turned to Jacky. "Just what does he mean by his own "hospitality?"

Grinning again, Nate reached for the sword, as if he'd won a prize. I leaned over the table and stopped his hand before he could take it. "Don't gloat. Next time, Navarro won't be so magnanimus. The sword is yours, but put it out of sight, and don't even think about using it until we are well clear of Havana."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat had straightened up agin, retrievin the napkin she had "dropped" t' allow her t' stoop down an bring her hand nearer her dagger out o' sight o' th' table. She were purely glad t' have at least one o them armed proper. Listenin t' the verbal parrys CAt began t' grin wide an gestured th' wine steward fer t' fill her goblet agin. Clearly she were enjoyin the goings on..

Meanwhile back in the Relentless...

Silkie hoped Roberts would follow her onto the deck but she stood there alone looking at the city. Roberts was vacillating between attentiveness and trepidation. “At least he was not indifferent” Silkie thought to herself. Havana, she longed to go find …drat, what was his name …hmmm, she never was very good with names ….Mmmanuel? …Mmmiguel …she pondered for a brief moment then set her sites on the boatswain who stood nearby. Jacky was not near and could not chide her for what he didn’t know. She wasn’t actually interested in the lad but he was here and she was bored. Again, she would not use her sealkie charms with him, there was no need, her womanly charms were usually enough to keep any man interested enough for sport. Batting her eyes, giggling at his not so cleaver comments, her smile glistening in her eyes, her hand gently placed on his forearm …within minuets he was directing his attention more to the lass than the ship.

Nate held the sword as delicately as possible, not used to such a weapon. Looking at captain Ransom he grinned "Use this ting? I'd be afraid ta break it. Be better ta hang on th bulkhead o' yer cabin, Ma'am." He then looked to the commodore. "Capa Farra? I ah, no. . . . Don't know that. A sharp cutlass, an axe or club, aye. A knife 'r dagger too. Better yet, a musket or guns of a ship." Nate looked at the delicate weapon some more before setting it between his legs.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Things settled down a bit once Navarro had gone, but I was wanting to get out of this damned corset and back into my own clothes. I also wanted to have some private time with Jacky, mainly to appologise for my earlier actions and mistrust.

I also wanted to get Nate and the Cat away from this never-ending dinner before they got too drunk, since both had been asking for refills all night. We'd been lucky the sword incident hadn't gone any further, but the more Nate had to drink, the bigger the grin, and I was learning not to trust that grin at all.

Once again I leaned toward Jacky and whispered in his ear, "Is there any way we can bow out gracefully and get the hell out of here?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom an Jacky were speakin t each other agin...wall at least that be good. Red Cat grinned at Ol Nate an tapped her goblet t' his.."So I hear th dessert herebouts is quite summin else..wot ye think? Cake, sweets, pies?" Nate's eyes widened at th promise o such bounty t come..he bout dropped th sword at th thought o so many sweets.

Nate smiled at Red Cat, he was starting to feel the affects of the spirits and it was starting to show. Nate was happy now, still sharp, but happy. "Aye Lass, I's hopin fer some pie. Been a long time since I had pie." He looked like he'd say more but stopped himself. Nate covered his mouth for a moment then stroked his chin and shrugged his shoulders. "Wonder wot kinda pie they might have? Peach, Cherry, Rhubarb, Molasses, Blueberry, Apple. . . . " His eyes took on a far away look for a moment or two. Nate blinked and came back to the here and now, Looked at Red Cat and chuckled with a sheepish look on his face. "Ah, um, sorry."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat looked back at Nate a moment an giggled..

She cocked her head to th' side an regarded 'im wi one eye closed an a silly grin..Gesturin wi her goblet she spoke.. "Yer a interestin man..Mr. Durant..aye * hic*! Both eyes opened wide at the unexpected hiccup an th' CAt giggled agin..

At Red Cat's first hiccop, I inwardly groaned. Great, I thought, they're both wall-eyed and acting like flirting thirteen-year-olds. We had to get out of this dinner, and soon.

"Jacky," I snapped, "We have got to get out of here. The Cat and Nat are drunk as lords and God only knows what they'll do. You know these people. Make up some excuse. Tell them we've got plague, for all I care, but get us out of here."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Reluctantly, I turned to Raphael Navarro, an explained that we too must depart. A sad expression came over his face, an he apologized for his brother's behavior an that of the other capitans.

"Senor Navarro, ye hav been a most gracious host. My campanions an I thank ye." So we made our good byes. Ransom an I each helped the others t' their feet, an we staggered fer the door.