The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Meanwhile back in the harbor...

Silkie and Roberts sat some time in the galley sharing tails and provocative overtures. Roberts who would grow interested while she flirted seemed to shy away at the times she would tell tales of the sea and her eyes would glaze with an eerie sparkle. Alas she had no control over that, so she veered from her tales of adventure on the high sees to those of a more personal nature. By the end of the meal she was quite sure she had peeked his curiosity and with no use of her mystical talents. She had not told him her true nature; his superstition would keep the rogue at a distance if he found out too soon. However, she did turn on the charm that every lass is blessed with and he seemed very interested as she excused herself …just after mentioning a moon light swim.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate watched as captain Ransom, hand to chest looked skyward. He deigned to look up at what she might see there and saw nothing out of the odrinary. Nate then noticed her breathing. His first reaction was to ask if she needed assistance, but since he had just been rebuked, he did not stir but looked to Red Cat with pleading eyes. He then shut his eyes and pleaded silently. Father, what would ya ave me do? Give ol' Nate a sign, aye? Opening his eyes Nate remaned passive, yet his whole body was tight as a bowstring, ready to spring into action, given the chance.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Jacky warn't talkin an f' th forst time Cat thought she saw 'im get nervous. Ransom were seemin t' come undone from her usual salty composure an Nate seemed lost. Red Cat spoke unner her breath so only he could hear.."Steady Nate...I dunna know wot be comin...I s'pect we will shortly.." She stared into her goblet an concentrated, tryin t' put t'gether th few facts she knew an mix em wit her own surmisins..

The sound of the main door o' th hall openin could be heard, followed by more conversation in Spanish. Cat wished she'd learnt t' speak th language when she'd had th chance on an earlier journey. But she'd lacked th patience an looked f' adventure instead..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate barely nodded to Red Cat when she spoke to him low. He was aware of all around them in the hall. Nate watched her as she peered into her goblet, as if the answer was there. This produced his wild grin again and he took up his goblet as well. The main hall doors opened with much noise and spanish words, drawing Nate's attention there. "Must be the man o honor arrived." Nate said low to Red Cat while nudging her with his elbow.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Cat looked up as Nate nudged her, nearly spillin the drink she still held. As the voices drew nearer CAt's eyes grew larger..

I heard a familiar voice approaching, as he shouted at the servants. I saw the shock of black curly hair come through the door way. There was the scar on the cheek (right where I left it). It was Juan Francisco Navarro, makin' a dramatic entrance.

There I sat without a weapon, an he was still carryin' his sword. The rules never applied t' Juan Francisco, he just enforced them. An eerie calm came over me an I was able t' ferget 'bout Ransom fer a minute, until Juan Francisco's eyes settled on her.

Suddenly, all attention was focused on the doorway. An imposeing, and extreamly handome Spaniard, despite the scar on his cheek, entered the room. Unlike the others, including us, he still wore a weapon. Beside me, I could sense Jacky's body go tense, so it was obvious he knew who this new guest was. As I tried to deal with the flood of emotions Jacky's gift had caused me, I studied the newcomer.

Then his dark eyes met mine...and stayed there.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red CAt recognized that th man must be Navarro..

She did not like this...not one bit...

A Navarro, I was sure of it. His air of arrogance, his stance and mannerisms, all spoke of wealth, nobility, and power. But what of the scar? Where and who had adorned that handsome face with such a scar? And why was he looking at Jacky as if he wanted to murder him where he sat?

As the Spaniard's gaze continued to bore into mine, my mind cleared and my strong sense of survival awakened. I had two lives to protect — no, four. Ransom, so recently confused and lost, suddenly came back to herself.

My gaze hardened as I returned this new arrival's inspection, but my voice dripped with congeniality. "You, sir, act as if you've never seen a woman at your table before. Are we so rare, here in Havana, that you must stare at me as if I had sprouted two heads?"

Under the table I fumbled for Jacky's hand, found it, and griped it hard, trying to convey all my voice, at this moment, could not.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Why no señorita, this is not my tabla. But gracias, I would love to join you." I took my place at the head of the tabla.

"Sí, woman such as yourself are rare in Havana. Red hair and azul eyes, are very rare indeed in Havana. And as you have only one pretty head, my eyes have no other head to turn too."

I acknowledged Señor Tar, "You have excelente taste in dinner compañeros." I was envidioso and smiled politely to him.

Juan Francisco was bein' gracious an charmin'!

I wanted t' tell him he'd taken his brother's seat, but at the moment I was struck by how he had not broken eye contact wit' Ransom; she had still not released me hand. And I was still wit' out a sword an only inches away from a sworn mortal enemy.

"Aye, Capitán Juan Francisco Navarro may I introduce my companion, Ransom."

With a final, quick squeeze, I released Jacky's hand and gestured to the two sitting across from me. "And this is Red Cat Jenny and Nate Durant, friends and crewmates. As for this not being your table, well, you place yourself at its head, so I could only assume it to be yours."

I held up my goblet with a steady hand and took a sip. "However, no matter whose table it is, the wine is excellent. Would you not agree?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate did his best to put a passive look on his face as he were introduced and bowed his head. Nate watched those who arrived with Navarro for any signs of deeper trouble. Noting that Navarro was well armed, and his party also bore weapons, Nate began to size them up, guessing at weaknesses of each. He listened to conversation around him but continued calculating the possible actions and routes of escape. Some might think it an impossible task, but the Almighty were on his side, so Nate remained confident. If things went bad Nate knew his timing had to be right, for when an oppertunity presented itself he would be there to take it. For now, he looked to his captain and Red Cat.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The tension between Navarro and Jacky was palpable. Under the veneer of politeness, there was something stronger, but I didn't know what it was. I could only make small talk and wait.

"Your brother has been a most genial host. And, I see you are aquainted with Captain Tar. Might I ask where and how?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Negocio, Senor Tar! No, I have come to see why it is that my dear brother's mere presence causes my men to fail to carry out their orders!"

I took a breath, and composed my self, "My brother often puts his nose in my business, and puts his business before anything else."

I turned my rapt attention back to Ransom, "Senor Tar once delivered my brother from a sinking galleon. Later, at a dinner like this one, he offered me a lesson in swordplay." I touched the scar that graced my cheek.

I looked at Jacky and then at Navarro. "What, exactly, were they're orders?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I wasn't sure if Navarro already knew about the mutiny, and if he didn't, I was't sure if Jacky wanted him to know. So I smiled, sipped my wine, and waited for Jacky to decide what he did or did not want to say.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Capitan Navarro, did ye suspect I wasn't aboard me ship, when ye had yer men board the Relentless?"

"How was it that yer men knew I was comin' ashore, so that they might collect me?"

The Relentless had sailed in an out o' Havana many times, wit' out bein' boarded, save once.

Wot was Navarro lookin' fer this time? Did he know 'bout the mutiny? Or the emeralds?

"What are you implying, Senor Tar? How could I or anyone know you were not aboard the Relentless?"

"As for my men, I knew you would come ashore sooner or later; so, I sent a party to intercept you, when you did."

I thought, 'A nice bluff Senor Tar, did you really think I would drop my guard and answer the questions you really want answered.'

Red Cat decided to give JAcky the advantage of time t' think. She spoke, her voice laced in honey and deliberately calm.

"Senor Navarro.." he looked in her direction and she responded with a smile which could melt butter on the coldest of days "Do you extend such honor to all ships which sail into your fine port?" Navarro paused, his stride broken by the unexpected interjection of Cat at her wiliest. She continued to smile, barely raising a brow and lifting her goblet to her lips. Red Cat waited for a reply an hoped tha Jacky was doin some quick thinkin.

They way this conversation was skirting around the unspoken question had me, suddenly, thinking of Spoons. If Navarro knew about the mutiny, then Spoons had to have told him. Which meant Spoons also knew about the emeralds.

The fact that our host hadn't returned was making me nervous. Had he gone to summon guards, or had he merely left the room to say goodby to the captains and would return shortly. How would he react to finding his brother sitting at the head of the table?

While Red Cat distracted Navarro with her obvious charms, I continued to study him. I did find a small amount of amusement over the fact that Nate was almost grinding his teeth at Navarro's attentions to the Cat.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg