The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts stretched in his hammock. He'd slept enough and was rested from the work he'd enjoyed in reapiring the Rakehells damaged shell.

He stratched his belly and wondered what watch it was. Roberts flung his bulk from the hammock and considered Miss Mc Dounough, He figgered he'd see if th lass would want t' accompany him t' the galley. Roberts suddenly had a powerful hunger.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As if conjured by his thoughts Silkie appeared at Johnathan's elbow.

"Rested are ye?" she tilted his hammock away from her just enough to put him off balance without spilling him.

He grasped at the hammock trying to turn himself enough to jump to the floor but before he had adjusted himself she tilted the hammock in her direction.

Leaning intimately close to the rogue's face and staring deeply into his eyes she whispered "Hungry?" then turned away letting the hammock swing behind her making sure that Roberts could clearly see her invitation to follow.

Now, was it the sway of the hammock, the ship, or her hips that made him lose his balance?

Nate felt quite awkward in the steam room, yet he also felt relaxed. When the attendant was gone Nate was calm, but every time he came back he stiffened up and put up a guard. Eventually the attendant made it known he was to go into the next room. Nate secured his towel and headed through the door into a room with several tubs. He was directed to one of them and was persuaded to hand off his towel and climb in. Once Nate was settled he completely relaxed. "Nate ol' son, this is th life, aye. Could get used ta this if I could afford th coin." It was then that he looked around the room and saw the Commodore in another tub. Nate straightened abruptly and spilled a bit of water out of his tub. He smiled and shrugged at Jacky and sunk low into the tub.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I spied Nate in a tub, which meant that Red Cat had no doubt come ashore. I nodded t' Nate an stood t' take a towel, an get that shave.

"Nate finish up, if yer joinin' us fer dinner." He looked around, an I said t' him, "Aye, I'm talking t' ye." I shook me head an went wit' the attendant fer that shave.

Nate rose up in his tub and began to scrub several weeks worth of grime off his body. He scrubbed until he was raw. Half of him was pink and the other, tan. Feeling duly clean, Nate stood and took the towel offered and began to dry off. The attendant spoke and made gestures to Nate's face for him to follow. The sailor dried himself as best he could and wrapped the towel around himself and followed the boy. Nate stepped into the next room and there was the commodore lathered up and half way through getting shaved. Nate ran a hand over his scruffy face. "Aye, I'll have a shave indeed, aye." He pointed to Jacky and nodded and the attendant. Nate was ushered to a chair and was draped with a cloth and the boy lathered his face. Nate got slightly anxious as the boy sharpened the razor. Nate did not expect the lad to shave him, but it seemed he would be. With a great sigh, Nate closed his eyes and prayed that he would make it through.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

...Recalling their ruse against Tribe, she joked "Oi Cap'n...tell me which 'o ye two looks better in a petticoat aye? " Red Cat ducked the incoming volley wit a splash an a shriek.

The memory of Jacky dressed like a woman had me laughing even harder. I scooped up a double handful of bubbly water and hurled it at Red Cat, while the whipped cream glob of bubbles on my head dribbled into my eyes, causing them to sting. It also caused my aim to be off, and the water missed Cat and landed with a splash at the feet of the old bath attendant.

With a stream of Spanish curses she surveyed the mess Cat and I had made of her bathing area. With vigorous hand gestures, and more cursing, she motioned for us to get out of the tubs.

Still laughing and covered in soapsuds, we sheepishly stood and she handed us each a large towel. With more gestures and waving of arms, she herded us through a door into another room, where we dried off, and found our fresh clothes layed out ready for us. Our dirty things were still in a basket, as were our pistols. Our cutlass belts and weapons hung from a hook on the wall.

With a last shake of her fist, the old bath atttendant left us to dress, no doubt warning us to never darken her door again.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red Cat dried quickly, listenin to Ransom still chuckling. The hot water and soap had been good for both body an mood. She felt in a more pliable mood. CAt rumaged in her bag an brought out several items. One o which were a dress o light blue silk. She held the garment an glanced sideways at Ransom jes waitin fer a comment. Th Capn's had never seen 'er dressed like a lady afore..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I held up the dress Jacky had bought for me. It was white silk and lace and very fine, but the idea of having to wear it made me wince. I glanced over at Red Cat, who held a dress of pale blue silk.

"This is going to be harder than I thought. But, I guess we'll have to lace each other into these contraptions if we want our supper."

I looked around and found petticoats and stays, stockings and garters. Just one problem. No shoes. No nice evening slippers to match the dress.

Lauging again, I said to the Cat, "Better hope no one lifts my skirts, since it appears I'll be wearing boots under this dress. Just as well. It will give me a place to hide a knife."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat's eyes grew wider as Ransom held up the gown. It was of a much finer quality and quite ornate. Then wider again at all the "trappings " she fegot they mus wear unner such finery. She longed fer her reglar clothes an cutlass. "I'd rather jes steal me supper" she grimaced, as she tugged at various gerly items. "We looks like some bloody fancy parade" she let out an oof! as Ransom tugged at the laces tight behind her. "Oi! must ye cut off all breathin? Ow d' wimmin wear these tings all day? grumble" But then she grinned at th Cap'n pointin out that they were shy o feminine footwear. "Wall" CAt smirked as she returned th favor, lacin up th Captain a wee tight.." At least tha much makes sense..hold still oi!" I aint goin inta th midst O' those Spanish wit no weapons. " They faced each other. Silence fer a moment, suddenly they both broke out in giggles at th uncommon sight. Ransom made a face an held out a hand in mockingly dainty fashion, Cat curtsied an stuck her tongue out. The loud laughter spilled int' th next room whar Jacky an Nate be.

Nate heard Jacky stand up and say something in Spanish, guessing he was finished being shaved. He did not open his eyes, just stayed as still as he could until the boy said something that sounded like 'finished'. . . Nate slowly opened his eyes and looked around. the boy was holding up a hand mirror for his to see. Nate smiled and took the reflecting device and stared into it, seeing a clean shaven self looking back. He ran a hand across his jaw. "Aye, lad. Ya dun a fine job on ol' Nate. ah, Gracias." The boy grinned and nodded vigorously, and said "da nada" and took the mirror back. Nate stood and stretched and walked into the next area where he found his jacket and accouterments lay, but his shirt and slops were no where to be found. The attendant there smiled at Nate and began speaking. Nate had no idea what he said. "Ang on now, wot yer sayin'? Where's me clothes?" He pointed to himself and gestured enough that the attendant put out a hand. "Uno momento!" He walked out of the room and came back shortly holding Nate's shirt and slops. They were quite damp. Nate took them and now understood. "Aye, theys ain't dry. Damn. Father, wot I supposed ta do now?" Just then he heard laughter from the ladies side of the baths and as a knee-jerk reaction covered himself with his wet clothes.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Nate was shiverin' in his wet clothes. I whispered t' the attendant a request, an placed some coins in his hand, he smiled an left the room. As I was tying back me hair, the lad returned wit' some dry clothes, a pair o' stockings and a pair o' straight lasted shoes.

"Folks leave bits o' kit here all the time." I proclaimed t' Nate.

I had told the young boy t' get Nate out the wet rags, he called clothes.

I addressed Nate, again, "If the clothes fit their yers t' keep. If ye want t' retrieve yer wet things later, after they dry, that can be arranged."

"I trust the lad will see t' yer needs. I'll check on the ladies progress." I turned t' leave an find the rest of our dinner party.

Nate did not know what to say to commodore Tar for his generosity. He bowed to him and smiled a genuine smile of thanks. Off came his worn shirt and slops and he regained his towel for the time it took him to go through the pile of clothes brought to him. One shirt was so small, Nate couldn't get it over his shoulders. The other shirt was oversized but not too big, it would do. Of the three pair of slops brought out, two fit him. He put on the better of the two and folded up the second pair to take along. Nate put on the stockings and tried on the shoes. It had been awhile since he wore shoes and they felt funny on his feet. They were tight in some places and loose in others. Nate even switched which feet they were on just to see if it made a difference. It did, but for the worse so he switched back. Nate combed out his hair and tied it back, squeezing as much water out of it as he could. With enough gestures, he made it known that he would return for his wet clothes when they were dry, and also returned the clothes that did not fit him. Strapping on his belt and weapons, sliding into his jacket and shoving his hat on his head, ol' Nate was ready to rejoin the outside world, if they could handle him.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Laced into our finery, Red Cat and I stood gawping at each other, still giggling like schoolgirls playing dress-up.

"I feel like a stuffed sausage," I commented, pulling at the bodice of the gown, trying to adjust it to something close to comfortable - failed, and gave up.

I picked up the basket containing my cleaned, but still damp clothing. The basket also held my pistol. Then I walked to the wall where my belt and cutlass hung from a hook.

Grinning at Red Cat, I buckled the belt over the gown, the cutlass dangling at my side. "I'm a girl who likes her accesssories." Then I stood, arms held out. "So, how do I look?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat was tuggin at her own gown. Tryin t' git comfortable. "I still dunnae know 'ow they wear these day t' day" She followed suit, glad that Ranson decided t arm herself and re hung her own weapon. Cat cocked her head t' one side an squinted at th Captain. She walked all arount her and stopped an just stared grinnin. "Aye..ye look like a real lady!" then she leaned in close and joked in a whisper as Ransom laughed. At that moment JAcky came through the doorway wearing a look o complete surprise. Cat spoke low out th corner o her mouth "Oi, here we go "

Nate walked out of the bath house, spare slops under his arm. He started to hum a tune until he turned the corner and there stood two lovely lasses and the commodore. He grinned and thought the man was being sly with two spanish ladies until he got closer. Nate slowly walked over to the three. The women were captain Ransom and Red Cat. They were all gussied up yet still wore their weapons openly. Nate was flabbergasted. He bowed and tried to think of something to say, but only managed a couple words. "Ladies, capin, ma'am, sir, Cat, I ah, you, um very, you look, aye." He shut his mouth and reddened a touch. He stood at an easy attention, waiting for whatever was next to happen.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I thought I saw Nate blush, as he sized up the ladies.

"Aye, the ladies do know how t' accessorize, but me thinks they'll have surrender the cutlasses" I paused, "But doesn't mean ye can't carry a small knife on yer persons. We can leave the swords here an pick 'em up later."

I wasn't sure they'd give 'em up wit' out a fight; I was glad when they did.

"I believe our carriage is here!"

As the carriage came to a stop, Nate hastened to the door and opened it for the others. He offered a hand to the ladies, helping them climb inside while wearing clothing unfamiliar to them. He could tell they felt slightly awkward in the finery they wore, as before they seemed so much at ease in their sailors kit. Nate was glad he was not asked to relinquish his weapons, he already gave up one pistol willingly and had not yet seen its return. The commodore followed the women aboard and Nate followed, pulling the door shut before he sat. Jacky shouted to the driver in spanish, and with the crack of a whip, the carriage jolted forward. They were on their way. Nate remained quiet and did his best to keep his eyes on the scenery out the window, but time after time, they drifted to the scenery inside the carriage.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

As the carriage jolted along, I found myself wondering just how Jacky had managed all this, and was more than curious about how he knew so much about Havana, the Navarros, and Arab bath houses. He'd never mentioned he'd spent time in Cuba, and now he went his relaxed way around port as if it was his home town.

Next to me Red Cat muttered and fidgeted within her stays, and I had to admit, I wasn't too comfortable either. Without my weapons, I felt naked and vulnerable to attack. I would have preferred to leave mine in the coach, closer to hand, rather than back at the bath house with that old besom - who'd probably sell them before we got back.

I glowered at Jacky, crossed my arms over my constricted chest, and said nothing.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Cat glimpsed Ransom outa th corner of one eye an stopped fidgetin, mid grumble "bloody, infernal, too tight..gah!!" She looked at Nate who were just grinnin like a pup. She made a face at him "hmph!" She turned t; Ransom an whispered "I hope they're enjoyin tis..now wot's got ye so vexed?"

I raised a brow and looked at her. "Vexed? Why should I be vexed? I'm stuck in a Spanish fort town, my ship is surrounded by a mini Spanish armada, I'm stuffed into this ruffled sausage casing, and my weapons are back being barted by some aged bath attendant. AND, to top things off, I'm soon to share dinner company with some bloke named Navarro and his cronies, and the only thing between me and foul play is this little knife!"

I whipped the six inch blade from my boot and waved it in front of the Cat, then slipped it back into place. "Vexed does not even come close to describing how I feel at the moment."

It did not improve my mood to see the grin on Nate's face get wider, and Jacky shrug, as if I'd lost my mind.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

As captain Ransom and Red Cat traded words, Nate watched the scene play out. The commodore seemed unaffected by the angry words from the two. When the captain mentioned that she felt naked without her weapons, and the look on Cat's face said the same, the smile broadened on ol' Nate's face. As captain Ransom shoved the knife back into her boot Nate became sobered and leaned towards the two women. "Capin, Miss Cat. As my life is of a sort indebted to ya, an th Almighty seems ta have put me here fer some reason, My weapons are at yer disposal. I've only my sword and one pistol, and a knife or two, but they are yers fer th takin if need. Or I shall defend ya myself if you only ask. I can hold my own in a fight, aye." The wild grin flashed on his face and he leaned back into his seat, his face a blank mask of what he had just said and offered. His eyes flashed to the commodore and away quickly, then a cheerful look settled on his face and he began humming a shanty in a low tone.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"When Ransom finished her tirade, Red Cat leaned forward wit a grin showin th Captain th dirk she'd hidden in her stays. Wit an evil grin she also withdrew a dagger from her boot. Cat looked over at Nate whos expression was now a blend wot defied explanation. She gave 'im a wink, retucked th weapon an said no more. Tar chuckled.."Oi Jacky, ye better hope our weapons is thar when we return from this lil "do " He smiled with that cursed confidence o his an said nothin. Cat Raised an eyebrow inquisitively "Jes ....wot are we t' xpect anyways?"

As we rumbled along in the carriage, an the ladies flashed their collection o' knifes, I found me self wishin' I had collected these as well.

Nates offer o' chivalry went unheeded by the ladies. I believe they were more than capable of holdin' their own in a fight. I suspect, Nate knew it as well.

I spoke t' no one in particular, an said, "This is a dinner in a respectable home of a man whom will take delivery o' the cargo we be carryin'. He trades smartly, but fairly. He is also the older brother o' the man who is in command o' the fort, which over looks this port."

As the carriage driver prepared t' stop at the home o' Senor Navarro, I said, "I expect that each o' ye will be on yer best behavior, an graciously accept the hospitality of our host." I scanned the faces o' me companions. "I want t' remain in this man's good graces an sail out o' this port creatin' as little wake as possible, when we leave."

The lass intrigued Roberts as much as she made his superstitious self nervous. He righted 'imself from stumblin wit a muttered word 'r twp, straightened his hat an followed where th lass had gone..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

After Jacky's lecture, I gave Red Cat a wink. "I don't think he trusts us to act like ladies."

Then I looked back at Jacky. "Why, sir, you insult me. I can be quite civilized when it pleases me. If it will get us out of Havana quicker, I'll be on my very best behavior, and treat this Navarro as if he were the Emperor of China, if I have to." I gave him a grin to rival one of Nates. "Does that ease you mind, Commodore?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg