The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate heard Red Cat address him and took another swallow of rum. As it settled he drummed his fingers on the butt of his pistol. Whatever it was she wanted him to belay, either drinkin of rum, or handling a weapon, he wasn't sure. But the rum was making him feel good so he played dumb a bit and continued to drum his fingers on the butt and drink more rum. He looked about the tavern and watched the expressions on the spaniards faces as more talk around the table continued. He shifted his weight and felt the cutlass at his side bump against him reassuringly. He had left his musket in the boat, didn't see a reason for the long weapon inside here. His cup was dry so he set it on the bar top and refilled it from his bottle. Picking up the cup he tapped it against the bottle in a toast to himself and took a drink.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Cat glanced towards the door which was just past the bar. Always good t' know wot lay in the way o' yer way out. As her gaze followed th bar sizin up it's patrons, she noticed Nate...still a' drinkin an still wit his hand on his pistol. An eyebrow went up..sighing..The Cat took a deep draught o Brandy an brought her foot down from th table. Her chair landed wit a solid thud makin everyone at th table jump. Ransom glared in her direction then turned back to Tar waitin on an answer.

Cat got up an headed towards Mr. Durant an his drinkin an drummin..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Nate bring yer rum over an hav a sit."

"Now Ransom..." I paused an rubbed me forehead, "Navarro pays in advance fer some o' the goods we be carrin' this time. We dock an trade wit' Navarro an that keeps the Spanish treasury appeased. It usually keeps another Navarro, out o' our business."

"As fer dinner, I'll be dinin' wit' Raphael Navarro this evenin' an would like ye t' join me." I paused, "I only ask that ye don't dent me skull til' after dinner."

Red Cat stopped an turned briskly in Tar's direction.. "Wot!?" she whirled back toward's Nate her coat flyin out behind her. "Mr. Durant! ye stand whar ye be." Cat headed agin towards th bar an the man no longer grinnin.. She was annoyed at havin her Brandy interrupted an wore a look which showed it plainly. Some o th patrons began t' follow her movement from their cups..

Nate had taken a step away from the bar when Red Cat had stood and ordered him to stay put. So he just took a step back to where he was standing and remained passive. The woman headed his way looked annoyed, but he wasn't sure who or what at. He narrowed his eyes and a slight grin appeared on his face. Nate stopped drumming on his pistol, but left one finger touching it, as if he were to let go it would disappear. The rum had mellowed him a bit and maybe it was a bad thing, but he had no fear of the woman who now stood in front of him. "Cheers, Lass."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

"Nate bring yer rum over an hav a sit."

"Now Ransom..." I paused an rubbed me forehead, "Navarro pays in advance fer some o' the goods we be carrin' this time. We dock an trade wit' Navarro an that keeps the Spanish treasury appeased. It usually keeps another Navarro, out o' our business."

"As fer dinner, I'll be dinin' wit' Raphael Navarro this evenin' an would like ye t' join me." I paused, "I only ask that ye don't dent me skull til' after dinner."

Inwardly I smiled at Jacky's obvious frustration with me. However, wading through the flatery and the instructions as to the cargo, I caught something I didn't like.

"Other Navarro? There are two of them? And if there are, what's the problem with the other one?"

Out of the corner of my eye I had been watching Nate slugging down rum and grinning like an idiot at Red Cat. Before she could lose her temper with him, Jacky invited him to sit with us. I made it an order. "Nate, sit down and lay off the rum. In your still weakened state, you'll find yourself on the floor. You sit too, Cat. The Commodore is going to tell us all about a little dinner invitation."

I smiled sweetly at Jacky. "As for your skull, that depends on how good the dinner is."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I smiled back, "Aye, the dinner will be grand. Raphael Navarro has quite an appetite fer food an drink. He lives well an entertains well."

"Actually, there are three Navarros. Raphael, our host fer this evenin'. Don Jose, Raphael's father. Lastly, Capitan Juan Francisco Navarro, Raphael's younger brother. Juan Francisco is the commander o' the Castillo del Morro, an sent that little boardin' party t' the Relentless."

I took a sip o' me drink, "Juan Francisco is not quite as gracious a host as his brother."

I poured more champagne into my glass, with an even healthier dose of rum, then leaned back in my chair. "Please, don't tell me you're getting us involved in a Spanish family feud."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Not directly." I quipped. "Raphael will give us safe harbour."

I turned t' Dillard, "I want ye t' return t' the Relentless wit' some provisions fer the remainin' crew. Take Nate wit' ye an deliver the ale an fresh provisions t' the Rakehell as well. Leave Nate aboard the Rakehell." Ransom nodded.

"Dillard, Stones knows this port an can help Roberts dock the Relentless in the mornin'. I want ye t' remain aboard the Relentless t'night an help them bring her in t' port in the mornin'."

"That leaves us one boat an one Red Cat." All eyes turned t' Red Cat Jenny.

"Aye sir, I can do that." I have had enough of Havana, for one day. After a day like today I was glad to get back on board the Relentless, with Silkie singing or not.

"Nate, are you ready to go? I'm going to start loading up the jolly boat." I bowed to Ransom, "Ma'am!"

Nate had finished his cup and grabbed up the bottle to go sit with the captains. He was walking past Red Cat and half shrugged, giving her a look of uncertainty. Before he got to the table, Commodore Tar made orders that he should accompany Dillard to the Relentless and be left on the Rakehell. Captain Ransom had only nodded. Nate stopped in his tracks and wore an annoyed expression when Dillard asked him if he were ready to go. Nate Looked from Dillard to Jacky to Ransom before speaking. "Now hold on. Wot am I, a sack a apples ta be passed about? I do beg yer pardon, Commodore Tar, But I were taken aboard th Rakehell and take me orders from Capin Ransom. Capin Ransom, have I been traded off ta crew another ship unknown ta me? Beggin yer pardon if I talk out a place here." He stood at a kind of attention, hands at his sides, waiting to know just who he was to be taking orders from, and who he should not.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat was still standin whar she stood....her face set in a scowl momentarily..Nate passin by as he did would have normally thrown her into a fit of anger...an th suggestion tha she take a boat alone..

She'd been th next t rest a hand on her pistol.

Th CAt stewed....considerin th surroundings an their tenuous standin..she decided agin th actions she were so tempted to. She rubbed a thumb across th butt o her flintlock...eyes flickered towards th group.

Red Cat swaggered past th others, knockin into Nate's shoulder as she passed 'im...not too hard...but just enough. She swiped th bottle o Brandy off th table roughly wit one paw an turned to th others...sweepin her other arm out to th side..

"If it pleases ye"..she paused "an even if it don't ..I'd like a ward wi th' Commodore ere..." Jacky nodded towards th others an walked away a few paces. Red Cat poured a tankard o brandy, put it down on th table an took a pull from th bottle. She rested an elbow on Tar's shoulder an looked him in th eyes wit a wry smile..

"JAcky luv, ye expect th ol CAt 't go rowin off by me lonesome in Cuban waters?"..she paused, her eyes narrowin just a bit, but the smile remained. "Now I'll wager Ransom may take issue wit ye over Nate.." She nodded slightly in the sailors direction. Cat turned back an looked Jacky square in th face.. leanin in jes a bit further...an paused..tiltin her head to th side a bit. Suddenly she grinned. "Aye, I've never supped in Habana.." she took another pull from th bottle "I'blieve I'll enjoy it..aye..."

As Nate stood waiting, Red Cat bumped into him, just enough for him to have to take a step. He watched her as she grabbed up the brandy and had a private word with the commodore. He still waited for an answer from one or both captains as to who he was to report to. Dillard stood and waited also with a vexed look, which caused a smile to creep across Nate's face. The two cups of rum had steadied Nate and even brought his confidence up a touch. He was far from intoxicated, it would take much more than that to affect him, even in a slightly weakened state. His hand made it's way back to the butt of his pistol and the light drumming began again.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I stood up an looked down at Red Cat, "As yer a guest aboard the Rakehell an not crew, I'll give ye the option o' joinin' us fer dinner. But that offer expires if yer liquored up, in which case I'll row ye back t' the Rakehell me self!"

I turned t' Nate, "While were in Havana, I'm leadin' this little expedition. In the food chain around here, yer less then a sack o' apples. Now ye can hand that pistol o' yers t' Dillard and help get those provisions back t' the ships. If ye don't like those terms, yer welcome t' stay in Havana an fend fer yer self!"

"Option?!" "Liquored up?!" Red Cat fair sputtered "Listen ya big...Jes who ye think yer ..." She caught the hint of a smile tuggin at the corner o Jacky's lips. He always did know how t pull her strings.. "Hmph!" she stood a starin at him fer a moment "I'll be rowed ..nowhar...." Cat, bottle in hand, simply sat back down an threw a boot on th table agin. "Oi! you lot come back over 'ere" She motioned that they were done talkin an Ransom, Dillard and co headed towards th table once again.

Nate stood a moment longer, the drumming stopped. He looked from Jacky to Ransom to Red Cat to Dillard. His right hand slowly rose to his brow where he knuckled it. "Aye - aye. . . . . Commodore. . . . ." Slowly he settled his hand on the butt of his pistol, smiled, and slowly pulled the clip off his belt. Nate stuck the barrel under his arm and changed his grip, taking it by the fore stock. He turned and handed it butt first to Ransom. "Capin Ransom, my pistol." She took the weapon and he knuckled his forehead to her. Nate turned to Dillard. "Lead on, sah, we've pervisions ta load, aye." Nate eyed all the spaniards around them and nodded to those who met his gaze while he waited for Dillard to show the way.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

... Nate stopped in his tracks and wore an annoyed expression when Dillard asked him if he were ready to go. Nate Looked from Dillard to Jacky to Ransom before speaking. "Now hold on. Wot am I, a sack a apples ta be passed about? I do beg yer pardon, Commodore Tar, But I were taken aboard th Rakehell and take me orders from Capin Ransom. Capin Ransom, have I been traded off ta crew another ship unknown ta me? Beggin yer pardon if I talk out a place here." ...

I grinned at Red Cat's sputtering anger, and knew she could stand up for herself. But being new to this crew, I could understand Nate's confusion. Before he left to follow Dillard, I spoke to him.

"Nate, lad, your loyalty is noted, and I'll take that pistol. You'll get it back soon. However, since I don't know Havana or these Navarros, and the Commodore does, I have ceded leadership to Mr. Tar until we're out of this harbor." I gave Nate a wink. "After that, you can ignore him all you want."

The man still seemed a bit confused, and who could blame him? "Go on with Dillard. When you get back to the Rakehell, let Africa know what is going on, and that most likely I won't be back on board until late tonight or early tomorrow morning. You bringing him that message will prevent him coming into shore and looking for me, and likely getting himself caught and caged again. I don't want that. Make sure he understands."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate again straightened and saluted captain Ransom. "Aye capin, Ma'am, Africa'll get yer message soon as I get aboard. Be sure he understands." Nate cocked an eyebrow towards the commodore before turning back to Dillard and gave him a look as to say 'what are we waiting for?' They began to walk out of the tavern and Nate smiled as he walked past Red Cat, still carrying his bottle of rum. He followed Dillard in silence out to the boats moored at the dock and only spoke when it were necessary while loading the supplies into the boat. Once all was loaded and they took up the sweeps, Nate began humming a shanty in time with each pull. Again he wore a grin, one he hoped might unsettle Dillard in even the slightest way.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Nate an Dillard hav left the Cantina, an only Ransom, Red Cat an I remained.

"Ransom, I see Nate is still havin' a problem rememberin' names. May I see the pistol." Reluctantly see handed it t' me, after I promised t' return it.

Examinin' the pistol, I found the initials 'JC' etched in the stock. "Wot' was the name o' the captain whom Nate said he served under?"

I handed the pistol back t' Ransom, an said, "Watch yer back wit' that one."

"So, Red Cat ye'll be joinin' us fer dinner then?" She was still sputterin' an sippin' her brandy.

Not waitin' fer a reply, I said, "There's an Arab bath house, not far from here. I think I'll clean up 'fore dinner." I turned t' Ransom, "Hav ye ever been t' one?"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, right. I spend half my life in Arab Bath houses."

Turning the pistol over, I saw the initials that had arrested Jacky's attention. "You really think that lad is a threat?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat now bored wit th Brandy, rocked her chair back t' rest an stood walkin over t' Ransom an Jacky. The room swayed a little...funny ..taverns must all be built o' th same soft wood...

She took th pistol an looked it over, ran her fingers across th etching. Cat only raised her eyes t' Jacky an Ransom. She sighed...handed th firearm back to th Captain an put a hand t' her hip drawin back her coat an exposin her own pistols an blade. Mostly fer th benefit o the few patrons who seemed a little too curious abou th small group.

Heads turned back to tankards...

"Now ye see young Mr. Durant as a threat? he were bobbin half crazed on th wrecakge from a merchant. ..Aye, I inquired after his cache o arms..but he seems an able seaman an has made no malcontented move that I kin see" She thought a moment. "I believe 'ees right grateful we claimed him instead of Ol Davey Jones. Cat reconsidered th bottle still settin nearby an grasped it up agin. She smiled a wide and mischievious grin showin jest a hint o Gold way at th back. "Besides..." Red Cat took a pull and lowered her voice leanin in t' th other two "I don't b'lieve 'es figured out tha 'ees taken up wit Pirates.." The grin returned.

Nate helped unload and sway in all the supplies for the Relentless. He remained mostly silent once they had gotten to the ship. When they were back in the jolly boat and headed to the Rakehell, the grin and humming returned. As soon as they were close enough to the Rakehell he called out. "Ahoy th Rakehell! Ol' Nate with supplies arrivin! Permission ta come aboard wit a message fer the capin a th watch!" Dillard gave Nate a scornful look and all he did was give him a wide toothy grin. Africa came to the rail and looked down at the jolly boat. Nate looked up at the big Moor and saluted him. "Got a message from th capin fer ya, mate. Tis right important." Africa continued to look down into the boat. After a moment he motioned for Nate to come aboard. Nate saluted again and looked at Dillard. "Hold fast, mate, mum's th word. I'll send th crew ta help yer unload." Nate grabbed up his musket and quickly scrambled up the side of the ship and onto the deck.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Tunney looked over the side of the Rakehell, and I shouted, "I have some fresh provisions sitting in the sun here. Lend me hand mate." Tunney motioned to some deck hands and we started to unloaded the jolly boat.

I pointed to the barrel of ale. "Compliments of Mister Tar." Tunney, with a broad grin on his face, climbed down to tie it off and hoist it aboard.

With no sign of Nate returning, I said to Tunney, "I have to get back to the Relentless, give my regards to Africa." With that I shoved off and headed back to the Relentless.

... "Besides..." [/i]Red Cat took a pull and lowered her voice leanin in t' th other two "I don't b'lieve 'es figured out tha 'ees taken up wit Pirates.." The grin returned.

While secretly thinking the Cat was out of her mind to use that word openly anywhere, especially here, I gave her a blank look. "I'm sure I don't know what you mean. The Rakehell is a perfectly respectable merchant schooner."

Then I turned to Jacky. "I suggest we get out of here before the stares get any worse. And as far as Nate is concerned, I'd be more worried about Dillard, if I were you."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Africa watched as the newcomer climbed back on board, and the supplies were unloaded. He didn't like it that the Captain wasn't with them. No good luck ever came from the Spanish, and although he knew he was a brave man, the thought of going back into slavery frightened him. He would die before he let them take him again.

It was all the fault of Dat Man. She never should have followed him on this voyage. There had been nothing but trouble, and he feared nothing but trouble to come. No amount of corpse powder would save them.

He glared at the newcomer. "What message?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg