The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"So Africa," Silkie raised herself from the barral she had been leaning against and moved a step closer to the big man. "Wot ya wont mae t'do? Tain't given mae m'orders." His hand shot to the little sack around his neck as he turned to face her. She debated with herself, she could easily convince him to give her some light duty. Nay, he was spooked by her as things stood, she didn't want to completely alienate the first mate. "Wot ya ave fer mae?"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word came back to the Capitán that señor Tar was not aboard the Relentless. Also, that certain things aboard the ship were not in order. Bills of Lading could not be produced by crew members. The long boat was missing and several crew members were locked up.

I turned to the messenger and said, "Tell the teniente to seize the ship, and question the remaining crew members. I want a full accounting."

We were only one day out of Havana, and everyone was getting a bit nervous. These were Spanish waters, and usually avoided by anyone not in aliance with Spain. Currently, the Rakehell flew no flag of identification, but eventually we'd have to declaire our country of origin, and that's when things might get sticky.

Africa worked the crew hard to keep their minds off what was coming. Eveyone, even Nate, got the ship trim and neat again, and the Rakehell flew across the sea like a bird, her sienna sails bellied against the stark blue sky.

We saw only one other ship, far in the distance, but could not make out her colors. She sailed on, as did we. One more night, and then we achored in Havana. I wondered if we'd find the Relentless there still, or had she avoided that harbor?

One more night would tell all.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Roberts leaned in ta Nate "Too much settin about makes a man get soft. Can't be lollin about like a lady now aye?" The last part was spoken low as Roberts chanced the comment to his own delight, out of the earshot of either Silkie, CAt or Ransom. Nate looked a little confused but Roberts gave a hearty laugh and grabbed up a line.

Being so new aboard this ship, Nate didn't know how to take what Roberts said. He smiled then frowned. Then he looked unsure. Turning back to his work he tried to concentrate on the work he had to do. He looked at Roberts at the wrong time and hit his hand squarely with the mallet. He muffled a yelp and dropped the tools on the deck, stuck his hand into his armpit. Nate danced about in a circle for a short time. He pulled his hand out for where he stuck it and looked at it. Wiggling his fingers, he found it was not too damaged and smiled. Nate picked up the mallet and chisel and got back to work.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Later in the evening Red Cat came round t' Silkie who be settin an sewin, busily, mending the Rakehells colors. (Aye she had several choices t' fly) she sat a moment an spoke t' th lass. "Tomorrow eve we make th Port O' Habana.." Cat considered the horizon a moment and took in the smells from the galley which wafted about them as th wind changed. "I b'lieve we mus have a chat then.. Ye, th Captains, Roberts " Silkie brightened at the mention o Roberts. She'd been admiring his strength ,watching him work on deck whilst she stitched canvas this past afternoon. "Over dinner mayhaps. I Believe Goose has actually managed summat makes me belly growl." She smiled and Silkie laughed. "Well Africa may have had a hand.." the green eyed lass said grinning. Just then Nate was seen crossing the deck midships. "He looks a sight better'n when we found 'im aye?" Red Cat said, her eyes followin th man who appeared to walk in a slightly straighter line and had stopped mutterin t' himself..well fer th most part.

She put a hand t' her chin an thought a moment. "Ye know...mayhaps he kin be of some value in our plans. We need t' find out wot else he may know an wot talents th man posess." Cat stood, held up a flag and admired Silkies handiwork. "Aye good as th day it were made!" Miss McDonough fairly beamed. "Wall I'll be off now t' speak wi th Captains an see if we may 'ave Mr. er... Mr.. just wot is his given name?" Silkie shrugged and laughed as Nate knocked his hat off heading down the hatch. A hand was seen retrieving the cocked hat and it almost seemed to wave in a salute as it dissapeared below decks. She chuckled as well, having stopped mid sentence at the scene. "Wall I'll ask em if we may have Mr. Nate t' dinner an see wot he may know of the Spanish an such." She passed the flag back to her friend and strode towards Ransom's quarters.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Havana probably the largest city in the new world; certainly the most well armed. Home t' the legendary treasure fleets, an a real symbol o' Spanish wealth an power. Few places in the Caribbean conjured up images o' treasure laden ships like this port.

We'd be in port soon, no turnin' back now. Wot little cargo we'd stowed on the Rakehell, would get us the stores we needed t' head back home, if the Relentless were not here. But I knew she would be.

The Rakehell was a swift ship. Africa, an Ransom's crew, ran a tight course along the eastern seaboard o' Cuba. The winds favored us this day as Castillo del Morro came in t' view, above the port of Havana.

Nate had finished fixing the damaged rail and all it needed was a coat of varnish. He walked across the deck to head below into the stores where he hoped to find a pail of varnish and a brush. As he walked he noticed the two women aboard looking his direction. One was sewing on a flag while the other talked. As he felt their eyes upon him he became nervous, wondering what made him a point of interest to them. As he headed below he knocked off the hat he had been given by another crewman as he did not have his own any more nad working out in the sun without a hat was miserable. He retrieved the worn felt tricorn, shook it gently to knock off anything and pulled it onto his head tightly. It wasn't quite his size. Below he let his eyes adjust to the darkness before blustering about and running into the bulkheads or other crewmen, or worse, one of the females especially the captain. Once he could see he headed deeper into the ship and into the ships stores. He asked another for what he needed and before long the varnish and brush asked for were given to him. Off he headed to his work which would soon be complete for the time being. As he walked his mind was drawn back to the two women eyeing him up. It concerned him in some very odd ways. He could almost still feel their eyes upon him as he reached the top deck. He was right to feel that because the one was still there when he returned and locked eyes on him again. He tried to ignore her, but it was very very difficult.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As the crew reefed canvas and the Rakehell glided into Havana harbor, the first thing I noticed, since I'd been looking for her, was the Relentless. And there she was, rocking gently at anchor just across the bay.

I turned to Jacky. "I guess you were right. The Relentless is here. From this point on, other than to protect my ship and crew, I'll turn authority over to you. Quite frankly, being in this harbor at all makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck." I met his gaze with my own. "Truely, Luv, I hope you know what you're doing."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

There was a lot o' activity on the deck o' me ship. I borrowed a spy glass from Ransom, "Looks like Spanish soldiers!" I chuckled, "Not even in port yet an we already hav company."

I turned t' Ransom, "Let's anchor away from the Relentless. If I'm right, mutineers will be the least of our problems."

I stared up at Castillo del Morro."Just like old times," I muttered under me breath.

Nate had been so busy with the work given him he didn't realize they were heading into a port. When the topmen were ordered to reef the sails, he looked up and around. His eyes grew large as he realized where they had come to drop anchor. Habana. Deep inside Spanish territory. In fact, they were in the heart of it. Nate looked around at the other crew who didn't seem to notice or care where they were. Nate set down the pail and brush and reached to his belt. No pistol was there. Feeling rather naked, having only his belt knife at his back, he went in search of Tunny. Finding the old salt forward he posed a question. "Aye, Tunny, I needs ta know. . . Where be me weapons? I feels a bit in need ta know their whereabouts." He leaned in close to Tunny and whispered. "We's in a sticky spot here, Spanish Habana, an I likes me neck th way it be." he smiled a slightly crazy smile at Tunny and waited for an answer.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Silkie kept sewing, also kept an eye on Nate ...since he was in view. She shifted once or twice just to check that the bulk of her hide was in place. She wasn't nervous in Havana. been here often enough. Even knew a few people here. However she had never sailed into port. She shifted the weight of her sack once again. How best to keep that with or on her come capture. She could live without a good many things but this hide, this part of her, she would fight to the death for.

Looking up from her stitching she noted Nate once more. He noted her noting him so she winked at him and smiled. There was little enough in this life the lass had control of ...men were not one of those ...if she had a mind to. She began to sing another tune.

Arguin could be heard near th galleyway comin from below decks. It increased in volume followed by a final "AAargh!!" in Red CAt's tone. Roberts climbed up upon the deck lookin dark and headed off t' speak with Captain Tar now that they had weighed anchor. He was anxious t' have th insight o Jacky who seemed to know th workings of this port.

As he walked he replayed th dinner conversation of several days past

:::: Roberts was pouring and looked up at the Captain as he did so.."Taxes" he snorted..Roberts didn't like paying fer anything legit, least of all to the Spanish who were undeserving of anything..thieves they were..He laughed at this, finding the thought amusing considering his own choice of occupation.. "Bloody Spanish.." He tipped the heavy bottle over Mr. Tars glass topping it off as if to draw them together in agreement. The Captain gave him a bried nod and Roberts settled back to hear what else the man had to say.

Jacky looked Roberts in the eye, "Ye know mate Havana is a Spanish port, an we best be on our best behavior there. The Spanish hav run this part o' the world fer the last four hundred years. Their time is almost up, but they believe their best years are still ahead. When facin' the guns o' Spanish Galleon, I'm willin' t' give 'em the benefit o' the doubt."

"Aye, on wot we trade, we'll pay their taxes. But fer wot we pull up from their sunken ships, I don't intend t' give nothin' back."

At the last part of Captain Tar's statement.. Roberts broke into a wickedly wide, gold toothed grin..

"Aye Mr. Tar, now that be more like it" He raised his tankard to Jacky, an after the mugs had touched, downed the libation feeling more comfortable with the idea. "Oh, I'll be on me best behaviour in Havana Sah" He quipped

::::

With that conversation in his head drowning out the recent sound of Cat's yellin..she were yowlin about those "Native wimmin" he walked up and greeted TAr who was studyin the harbor wit a spyglass. "Cap'n"

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

"Damn fool.".Red Cat grumbled as she saw t' her weapons. "King o th natives es gonna be.." *grumble* ..."deserved t' be set adrift in th Relentless Jolly e' did.".she continued fillin th air wit colorful language as she tucked her pistols in her belt .."damn fool..eh...I shouldna care t'all.." She wasn't really sure she did..CAt yanked her tricorn down in front an headed up th ladder...grumblin..

I hadn't kept company wit' Roberts long, but I knew him t' hav a strong arm an t' be a good man t' hav in a fight. I hoped he could be a bit more diplomatic here, as I wasn't lookin' fer a fight in Havana.

"Roberts, I believe the Spanish hav me ship. I mean t' take the jolly boat over t' her, an make me introductions an intentions known. Would ye be willin' t' sail wit' me, again?"

"Aye Cap'n Tar.." Roberts said he as he looked across at the Relentless wit a gleam in his eye. He knew he'd have t' temper hisself at least till they were out o Spanish waters. But ol Roberts had a score t' settle if any o the scum were still aboard. At the least t have his feet back on th deck would be a start t rightin things. Action always agreed wit him. "Aye..I'll sail" His mind went back t' th swearin below. "Wot abou th CAt?"

Jacky looked up at Red Cat who had just come back on deck, an looked like she was itchin' fer a fight.

I looked Roberts in the eye, "She won't like it, but we best leave her here on the Rakehell, til' we know wot' were up against." Roberts nodded an sighed.

Red Cat was headed their way. Roberts winced inwrdly t' think o the tirade that would come when Tar told her she'd be stayin behind. Even wit an explanation it warn't goin t' be pretty. Red Cat were fiercely independant an proud of it. Roberts sighed.."good luck sah" he said as she approached all swagger an glower.

Red Cat approached Roberts an me self, "Red Cat, I was wonderin' if ye could do us a favor? I need ye t' take this spy glass, climb aloft an get Ransom a head count o' the Spaniards which are aboard the Relentless."

She gave me a smirk an snatched the spy glass, an turned t' make her ascent.

I had warned Ransom that Roberts, Silkie an I would be leavin' the Rakehell wit' out Red Cat. Tunney had brought the jolly along the port side o' the Rakehell. We waited until Red Cat had almost reached the top o' the main, before we would climb down in t' the boat an set out fer the Relentless.

I could understand Jacky's eagerness to get to the Relentless, but it infuriated me that he would take off with no regard for my ship or men. It was foolish to attempt to retake the Relentless when it was crawling with Spaniards, who were going to be pretty suspicious with another strange ship in their harbor.

Before Jacky and his small crew could get to the jolly boat, I stepped in front of him, not trying to hide my anger. "Before you head off to the Relentless, I'd like to know what plan you have in mind if the Spanish should board the Rakehell. I don't know this port. I don't speak Spanish. Will they inspect the ship? Will they want money? What the hell am I supposed to do if they come aboard demanding to know why we're here? Maybe, before you go hareing off toward the Relentless, you might want to make sure this ship is safe from impoundment!" The last word was nearly a shout.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silkie an Roberts descended in t' the jolly boat, away from Ransom's ire.

I faced her an said, "Look around ye luv, there are hundreds o' ships in the harbour an only the Relentless has Spanish soldiers aboard her." Her expression softened a bit. "I don't mean t' retake the Relentless, just goin' t' inquire why me ship is under the watchful eye o' the Spanish." I knew the answer, the trip over was a formality really.

Durin' this brief conversation, I had spun Ransom so she could get a better view o' the harbour an I could climb down in t' the boat, while the Cat was still climbin' aloft. I quickly kissed her on the cheek an climbed down t' the boat, an didn't wait fer her rebuttal.

I glared down at Jacky as he settled himself in the Jolly boat. "A peck on the cheek is NOT going to make up for the fact that, yes, there are dozens of ships in this port - almost all Spanish! I don't see one flaming English ship anywhere. Two flying Genoese colors and one from Portugal. I'm not blind, Tar, although at the moment I'm seeing red!"

Jacky just smiled, picked up a set of oars, and nudged the jolly boat away from the Rakehell.

"Someday," I muttered, "that man is going to push me too far." Then I touched my cheek where he had kissed it, and had to smile.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

A shout cam from th' tops just as th Jolly cleared the Rakehell's side. "Oi!!! Oi!! OOOiiiiii!!!!!"

Red Cat scrambled down th riggin droppin a good 5 feet to th deck. "Wot th!? " She ran to th rail scatterin crew memers before her an shouted. "Oi you lot! Ye tricked me! arrgh!! Come back ere an let me aboard ya scurvy..." Cat stepped back, pulled a pistol from her belt an almost took aim causin the Jolly's passengers ta duck. "GAhhh!" she tucked it back in her belt an turned t' Ransom fumin. "Wot's th meanin o this?! We're t' sit here while they go off an pay a social call t' th Spanish?" She glanced over her shoulder at the small boat bobbin towards the other ship. Placing a hand on the hilt of her cutlass as was habit when she was so angered. "An wot do Commodore Tar think he's gonna do this time if they git theirselves captured aye?!"

We sat back up in the boat an I turned t' Roberts, "Ye don't suppose she'll turn a swivel gun on us?" Roberts shrugged his shoulders an suggested we row harder.

The Relentless was gettin' closer an our impendin' arrival would not go un-noticed. Soldiers wit' muskets lined the main deck rail, an a fresh faced officer was shoutin' orders.

I decided t' shout out, "Ahoy, Relentless. Permiso t' bordo!"