The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate had no choice but to throw in with this lot, not that he would have done otherwise. He pulled on the sweep hard as he could, keeping up with the others doing the same. As this jollyboat moved out through the surf and into calmer water out of reach of the flying darts the men on the sweeps relaxed some. Nate smiled wide, breathing heavy from the exertion of rowing. He half giggled between breaths. Once his breath became easier he looked to the one who had fired his musket. "So Capn, I's Nate, who be ye an what name do yer ship go by?" All eyes turned to him, rowing ceased. Nate looked around him and lost his grin. "Wot? I say somethin wrong, aye? He told me he were captain on th' beach, was I given the lie?" Still not a word was spoken. Nate brushed back his hair from his face and licked his parched lips. "An easy question then. Gots any fresh water? Gots me a powerful thirst."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red CAt began to laugh...she produced a flask of water and pased it to th poor thirsty sailor. She said nothin else..just chuckled.. and from within her coat produced a second flask of rum and took a long pull..passin it to th others as they continued to row.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

As Red Cat laughed, and passed around the rum, I slapped my hat to the floorboards, leaned in toward the newcomer, and with as pleasant a smile as I could muster, given the circumstances, introduced myself.

"Nate is it? Well, I hate to dissappoint, but that laughing ninny over there is Red Cat, who is not the captain of the ship we're heading for. That happens to be the Rakehell, and I am its captain. The gentleman just behind me, trying not to let me hear him laughing, is Jacky Tar, another captain, currently in want of a ship. The lumbering oaf we brought down the beach is Roberts, and the other in the boat is Silkie."

It was my turn with the rum, and I took a healthy swallow and passed it back to Jacky. "Now, if you lot have quenched your thirst, do you think we could get this blasted boat back to the ship, before the islanders decide to send out an armada of dugouts and we all end up looking like bloody pin cushions!"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red Cat still said nothin but gave a quick wink to Ol Nate who was lookin quite confused as he greedily downed the water. She laughed again an grabbed a sweep. The Jolly began to speed towards the Rakehells lanterns in th distance.

After getting the low down from captain of the Rakehell, and the who's who of those on the boat, Nate finished the flask of water and began pulling on his sweep, as the captain had ordered. He looked at the others in the boat, putting names to faces. Odd names for those two he first encountered on the beach, Red Cat and Silkie. As he looked them over a realization came to him and he almost dropped his sweep. "Yer Women!, Why I'll be! Ol' Nate ye fool, yer women!" He laughed at his realization that he had almost shot two women. Shooting men was not an issue with Nate, but the fairer sex, that was different. He turned to the captain. "Sos Capin of the Rakehell, how may much more women yer got on yer ship there, aye?" He kept pulling his sweep and waited for an answer, even looking to the others around him if the captain didn't speak up.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

"Don't get your hopes up, Nate, this is the full count of women. The rest of the crew are men, despite the fact that they are dressed like tavern wenches. That was a ploy, to fool the islanders, who seem mostly interested in men."

The jolly boat was coming up alongside the Rakehell, and Africa, the only one not dressed in ladies garb, leaned over the side and grinned. "Dat cannon work pretty good, I think."

I grinned back. "It worked just grand. Your timing was perfect."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Silkies humming had continued despite Cat's complaining, Silkie knew the natives had those dugouts and knew she could slow them a bit with the help of a few friends.

She stopped, "Chole" she continued to speak, "g'me a moment, I'll bae fallerin ya soon nuf."

Nate spoke in a very low tone, more to himself than anyone. "I weren't gettin me hopes up ta be on a shipload of womens. Two be more than I's seen in a long while." They bumped along side the ship and words were exchanged with the deck. Then they were tied off and began to climb aboard. Nate became a gentleman and made sure the ladies went first, after the two captains had gone aboard. He even helped them if they let him. Roberts was the last up, not letting Nate be behind him. So Nate grabbed up his gear and weapons and climbed on deck. Even though he just got out of the jollyboat with them, he smartly knuckled his forehead to the captain. "Capin Sah! Bo'sun mate o the Eliza of London, Sah!"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Silkie remained leaning over the jolly boat, singing her haunting notes, her hand up to her elbow in the water until all the others had gone over the rail.

Her song ended as she pulled herself to the here and now shaking her head. then again she stood then struggled up the ladder once again.

Even though he just got out of the jollyboat with them, he smartly knuckled his forehead to the captain. "Capin Sah! Bo'sun mate o the Eliza of London, Sah!"

Trying to suppress a smile at Nate's enthusiasm, I answered, "Well done, sir, but...we're not quite so formal on this vessel. Ma'am will do fine. So, tell me, how did you come to be floating in the sea, and where is the Eliza of London?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Ma'am?" he said incredulously, but caught himself. "Aye, Ma'am!" He almost laughed at the wonder of it all, three women amongst so many men, and one was the captain! Instead he knuckled him forehead again and straightened. "Aye-aye, Ma'am! Th Eliza o London done foundered twelve or thirteen days past, dismasted we were an got rolled over more than once. I... I don't know if their be any other survivors. Last I member was Capin givin order ta abandon ship. Next I knows I were floating amongst wreckage. I put me raft together an drummed up what supplies I could. Um, Capin, Ma'am? Permission fer a rest? I's awful tired now." Ransom started to nod and was about to say something when Nate smiled and slowly collapsed onto the deck. Out cold.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Roberts who up until now had chosen to be quiet..but for the occasional groan as he shifted to accomodate his sore leg, erupted into hoarse laughter at the slight lad in a heap on the Rakehell's deck. He slapped both broad hands onto his knees and stood from the barrel he'd been occupying. Heaving a sympathetic sigh..Roberts threw th limp for over one shoulder and turned lt' Captain Ransom. He'd seen his share o survivors pulled from th sea and been impressed that th lad managed thus far. Where d' ye wont th new crew m'am?

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I turned t' Ransom an chuckled, "If the guest list 'board the Rakehell continues t' grow, soon we'll out number yer crew." She smirked, looked like she was goin' t' say somethin', but she didn't. Then a frown came over her face and she gave orders t' get underway.

I looked at Africa an nodded. I was sure he'd saved us from a return trip t' the tree houses, as guests o' the TRIBE.

Wasn't sure wot t' make o' this new guest. So, I suppose we won't hav t' wait long t' see wot he was 'bout, fer we were only two days sail from Havana.

TRIBE was not happy, but the future growth of their kind had been seen to he big man. Pursuit was an option but not a necessity. TRIBE had other matters to attend to. Where was the one called Cage?

With a raised brow, I watched Roberts haul the newcomer below decks. Then I turned to Jacky. "Funny how that leg of his doesn't seem to be bothering him too much now. Why in blazes did we have to half carry him down the beach?"

The crew, looking like a bunch of fish-wives, got the Rakehell under way again. I was very glad to be leaving that island, but a little worried about what we might run into in Havana.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Somewhere below Nate was wrestled into a hammock and covered with a blanket. He was left to his rest, but not left alone. Someone was always there waiting for him to wake up. A tankard and pitcher of water and a hardtack biscuit with a chunk of cheese was left near by for that time. Once and a while he would shift around and make a noise or two before settling again. Sometimes it was a name or an order shouted. Sometimes it was just gibberish.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red CAt had just checked in on the newcomer, who was currently under the watch of Tunny. He slept fitfully but looked a little better fer th food, ample water an rest he'd come by in th past few hours. She wondered jest wot 'ed seen out thar. Lost in thought a moment wit memories o her own..Red Cat shook herself back t' th present wit a chill as she recalled th dark night she'd first met Ol Roberts....

...Who she'd taken a shot at earlier...

Th Cat gave a nod t' Ransoms crewman an headed up th ladder. She climbed upon th deck an pulled her collar up agin th cool breeze blowin as they sailed further out t' sea. Roberts shilouette cut the patch of sky about th stern an she headed aft t' speak wit the big pirate.

Roberts stood in th stern lookin out t' sea. He'd been discussin th mutiny wit Jacky Tar who was now below. Plans would be underway t'recapture th Relentless once they made Havana. He was sure the scum woulda headed tha way assuming an easy take once they'd seeen th charts plotted out. Last he remembered they were on th table in th ward room. As he considered strategy an how many they'd be up aginst, Red Cat appered in th darkness. Silently as she sometimes did. This always unsettled him as she would appear like a ghost wit naught a sound. He started at th sense o someone suddenly standin next ta him. She stood at th rail lookin out at the inky swells and said naught but one word.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Silkie had asked those in the water to assist in the Rakehell's departure of the island and never looked back. The course for Havana had been plotted there was no turning back. She expended an untold amount of energy singing the song of the sea. It was much easier to communicate with the other creatures in her seal form but then communication with humans was nearly impossible. There was the lack of focus that came with being a seal. No, better just to rest well when she could. She slept soundly now.

I left Africa at the helm, and went below to check on our new guest.

Tunny looked up, his face weathered by sea and wind to the texture of an old boot. He gestured to the snoring Nate. "Naught said a word a man could understand. Been out on the sea alone for many a day, I'm thinkin'. A wonder he survived."

"Yes, a lucky lad. Has he taken food or more water yet?"

"Mostly water, but I did manage ta get him ta eat a bit of fruit."

I nodded. "Well, keep a watch on him until he's more himself. When you think he's ready, send word to me. Nate and I need to sit and talk for awhile."

Tunny's face crinkled into a frown. "You don't think he's a danger, do you ma'am?"

The sleeping figure seemed innocent enough, but you never knew. The loss of the Eliza of London might have been at his hand. "Just tell me when he wakes and can talk."

"Aye, ma'am. I'll do that."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

It looked like I wasn't the only one concerned 'bout our latest guest. "I heard wot ye said t' Tunny. I wondered the same me self. Mayhaps we all should keep a weathered eye on our guest?"

Ransom smiled, an I said, "I didn't get a chance t' properly thank ye, fer savin' me hide back there." I paused an smiled, "Mayhaps ye'll let me make it up t' ye in Havana, wit' a night on the town?" She said, "Would that be before or after we get your ship back?"

Nate was asleep, but heard voices around him. He could not bring himself to consciousness even if he tried. His mind swam with what had happened to his ship. He was thrown into a living dream of what he remembered. He had come on deck when the ship had pitched violently, almost tossing him out of his hammock. On deck he saw men in the rigging trying to cut down the fore top sail that had split. The storm had increased in strength since he went off duty. He watched in horror as the main mast splintered under a gust, falling over the side. With most of her sails in ruins and the rigging fouled badly the ship was at the mercy of the sea. The captain called the men out of the rigging and had the shattered mast cut away. Nate breathed heavily and moved about in the hammock. He said the most understandable thing since passing out on deck. "Capin, she's in an awful way." He paused as if he was listening to someone, then spoke again. "Aye-aye, bare masts an ride it out." back in his head orders were given, sailors followed them and prayers were spoken. the next memory to surface was the wave. The wave that hit the ship broadside and rolled her. Someone had shouted next to him to hold fast, so he grabbed onto whatever he could. he saw the wave at the last second as it hit and over they went. she rolled all the way over and came up half sunk. A third of the men on deck were gone. The Captain gave his final order, 'Abandon ship!' All hands scrambled to launch the boat. In the chaos Nate had been hauling on the tackle, helping to launch the boat. Then his mind went blank. Nate sat straight up in his hammock, eyes wide in terror, breathing hard. He looked around and saw not a familiar face. Just as quickly he fell back into the canvas and was out again.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Ransom smiled, an I said, "I didn't get a chance t' properly thank ye, fer savin' me hide back there." I paused an smiled, "Mayhaps ye'll let me make it up t' ye in Havana, wit' a night on the town?" She said, "Would that be before or after we get your ship back?"

Jacky had a gleam in his eye as I asked the question. We rarely had any time to ourselves, so quick looks and wry comments were the most we could share.

"Let's wait until we get to Havana and see what's what. We may not have much time for a leasurly dinner." I cocked a brow, touched his cheek, and smiled. "But, it would be lovely if we could."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

..."Habana".. Red CAt waited for a reply from Roberts.

He stood facin her an she continued to study some nothin in th distance.

He bein th superstitious sailor, was always wary o spirits which might appear an fer wot reason. "Cat, ye must make some sound when ye approach in such darkness.'Tis dangerous..aye, Ye know I don care fer tha"

Red Cat turned and looked at him in silence a moment. A mischievious grin suddenly crossed her face "Aye...I know.."

Had she been a lad he might have cuffed her right then, but Roberts just spoke a harmless curse agin her. Red Cat laughed and produced the flask which always seemed t' carry a finer rum than th ships stores.

She'd not have risked it had th moon been bright enough t' reflect off th silver an be apparent t' th men in th tops, but it were a new moon an th deck was quite dark. The two shared a silent drink followed by a discussion in tones so low none even in th shadows could hear.

Mister Cage had escaped his prison and had managed to row out far enough that the Rakehell missed him. He heard the cannon shot and began to row towards it. Anyone who would fight against the women of the island was a friend of his but when he saw a man rowing away from the ship he knew he had better not chance it so he rowed out even further to where he hoped ships were common and now saw a ship headed his way. He had but to wait and to hope they would take him aboard.